The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Shock let's not push it further since this is a TNO thread, not a "PDX sucks" thread.

Well, look at this cool Taboritsky art:

ct35ogerwbm51.jpg
BAD TOUCH!!!

Last edited:

Sabre77

Banned
I feel it's a bit petty to complain about that, given it feels like every mod these days has several 3/4+ way civil wars.

But the Hoi4 AI can’t handle the staggered way the uprisings in the vanilla Spanish Civil War occur. As a player it’s not too hard, but the AI simply can’t do it, which means there’s always a four sided free for all when the computer controls Spain, and half the time the faction which is winning handily simply collapses because half its land is gone. It’s one thing to have three sides from the start, like Kaiserreich‘s SCW, and I understand what the vanilla HOI4 devs were trying(generally they did a pretty good job with Spain) but the AI just can’t quite handle it.

But the Hoi4 AI can’t handle the staggered way the uprisings in the vanilla Spanish Civil War occur. As a player it’s not too hard, but the AI simply can’t do it, which means there’s always a four sided free for all when the computer controls Spain, and half the time the faction which is winning handily simply collapses because half its land is gone. It’s one thing to have three sides from the start, like Kaiserreich‘s SCW, and I understand what the vanilla HOI4 devs were trying(generally they did a pretty good job with Spain) but the AI just can’t quite handle it.
You know, I have to say I've never had that happen in my games.

Yes, they struggle at the staggered way the uprisings happen. The worst culprit I've seen is the Nationalists tend to struggle when the Carlists revolt, but that's only when the nationalists are already losing for me. Think I see the Anarchists kinda just do poorly most of the time, but I've had a couple of games where they've managed to turn it into a stalemate in three ways with about 1/3 splits each. I think I've had everyone except the Nationalists win atleast twice, maybe thrice. Never seen them collapse while winning, only while losing/pretty clearly stalemated.

It definitely would be different if they started out all at once.

I find TNO's civil wars more interesting that KR and most others, (TWR I enjoy aswell), because i find it very entertaining to watch them and "commentate" them and try to make predictions. That's why I'm so sad that Bohrman always wins as AI for me, because he ruins any suspense.

But as an aside, my point isn't that they should have staggered uprisings. It was that the whole "multi-sided civil war" thing is pretty overdone at this point. I feel like a Hoi4 mod isn't complete if it doesn't have atleast one somewhere. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, just that it's a funny trope at this point.

AHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH
AHAHAHHAHA

I love you, TNO, I really do

So, a Japanese event makes a reference to the 1962 japanese song Sukiyaki, this one

I was playing it, and my father was listening to it, and he told me how in 1962 my aunt Zoca was dating a japanese guy (there is a large japanese community on my city, Ribeirão Pires), and he used to play this song all the time

TNO MADE MY DAD REVIVE A 58 YEAR OLD MEMORY! AHAHAHAH !

chankljp

Donor
Just had a game playing as China, in which amazingly, by the time that the Oil Crisis hits in the early 1970s.... THE GERMAN CIVIL WAR IS STILL ON-GOING! With the frontline getting utterly stalemated between Bormann and Göring , with the troops of the latter right outside the gates of Munich, but unable to advance any further, and have been stuck there for years. It made me feel sad that the German Anarchy is not yet implemented in the game, since I would love to see consequences of what a decade long civil war that would have undoubtedly gone nuclear by this point would look like.... I think in this scenario, Poland will have a good chance of being able to survive as an independent country, since no matter how things turn out, Germany will be in no position of going after them again for a long time... Assuming all the Poles don't end up dying anyway from radition poisoning as a result of the fallout created by all the nukes the Germans dropped on each other.

So in a stroke of luck I actually found someone who makes maps on the Wikimedia Commons called Ikonact, and he was actually able to throw together a handful of Bathymetric Maps of the Mediterranean for me with what seems relative ease. There is one for (-100) meters, (-200) meters, and (-300) meters. The one at a hundred meters is the one of particular interest for the purposes of the Mod, but I was curious as to other depths as well. Now I had planned to actually present a modified image below, but due to the combination of not being especially versed in Inkscape as well as my computer starting to sputter every time it tries to load the thousands upon thousands of nodes in each path...... it wasn't going to be worth the amount of effort required.
There are also some things to consider, especially in terms of why things were planned they way they were in terms of Atlantropa, and how our national actors would have reacted to certain aspects. Any of the following is mere logical reasoning and speculation on my part unless I say otherwise, and I haven't had a whole lot of luck digging up the lore that has been developed to the present. Panzer has upthread confirmed that there was initially plans for a Sicilian Dam, hence why the Eastern and Western Mediterranean are technically at different depths in-game at the moment. The Dardanelles would need a Dam of their own to prevent the Black Sea from being cut off from the Mediterranean, and given the importance put in the Crimea by the Kriegsmarine I expect that one would have been finished, helped by it being a smaller project in comparison; the same goes for the Suez. Now Atlantropa also advocated for the construction of a Dam around Venice, and I can't see the Italians not doing so themselves for the simple reason that the wooden foundations of the entire city would then be exposed to the air....... and begin to rot; to allow the Lagoon to drain would mean to let the City essentially collapse in on itself, and I can't see Mussolini tolerating that.
C02f4iHl.png
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, I tried my hand at the Kingdom of England aligning with the Government, and honestly the build-up to the Civil War was rather frustrating in how it devolved into little more than a game of Pong. I fully understand why this is, and HMMLR does seem to lose more often than not, but playing rock-paper-scissors en masse on a monthly basis in what seemed to be a predestined stalemate wasn't all that interesting for me. Playing as Thatcher though and trying to balance the various factions though, that kept my interest, and I came close to failing a couple of times due to trying to ignore the Army. Unfortunately there are still a few kinks to be worked out as Cornwall didn't transition properly in terms of elections as well as some spots in Scotland, speaking of which, I was genuinely surprised when it was Scotland that unified peacefully with me rather than Wales (almost always Scotland goes to War, and Wales tends to stay Unionist). Wasn't expecting the One-Party State approach either but, then, that goes hand-in-hand with the ideology.
The results of the Monetarist approach confuse me though, though that might be because Britain's economy in the game is not strictly represented by the GDP but by modifiers that exist from State to State.

Last edited:
Wrapped up my Reformist run with Iberia. Aside from my surprise at how well developed it is in terms of branching paths on branching paths, I don't really have much to say. It was annoying that with only three research slots I could only effectively concentrate on the Army and Industry, even that being a struggle (England was the same way), but it is understandable given the state the Iberian Academic community is in at that point. Managed to keep the country stable through to the elections which were won by the PRD / Market-Liberals, and not long after that the Oil Crisis hit. Got hit with what I'm sure was a bug, where I randomly was assigned over ($440)B in debt, which in the long-term would have absolutely knackered the economy even were the Oil Crisis no longer a factor, but I was able to become an observer in the OFN.
My only real issue is when it comes to the territory that is ceded to Spain after they win the Algerian War. The way the cession currently works, a number of States in Northern Algeria are ceded to Iberia, meaning that the Pied-Noirs govern what was once the Italian Zone. While there were indeed a large number of Pied-Noirs around Bone, I honestly can't see them agreeing to a cession as large as the one presented below. The Spanish themselves only ever laid claim to the Department of Oran as far as Algeria was concerned, and I can't see that changing even if we are to factor in an influx of resettled Portuguese from Angola and Mozambique; extending the border to Algiers itself would actually put the majority of Pied-Noirs outside of Algiers under Iberian rule, as opposed to the Pied-Noir State that Iberia just sponsored. The border however can be expanded South, the justification being claims by the Moroccan Kingdom to those lands.
042uN57l.png
jDKTCDWl.png
I also do wish that, in the case of an OFN victory or even a Stalemate in favor of the OFN, that Iberia could be granted control over Angola and Mozambique as OFN Mandates. The Mandates seem destined to functionally be colonies anyway based on the decisions I've seen for them, and the less territory the Americans have to manage the better; in the case of this run the United States had decided to create a massive "Republic of Central Africa", and three years later society had fully broken down.

chankljp

Donor
A bit of Fridge Horror regarding Brittany....

While playing as any other country, whenever Brittany sets up their black market luxury good trading operation in my country, unlike with their arms trade, I have always been hesitant to crackdown too hard upon them. Due to a combination of me staying in chararter in most cases as a reformist/liberal minded leader for said country (Who I imagine would be partaking in some of those black market luxury goods themselves, the same way that Stalin in OTL had his private collection of American Western movies, or Kim Jong Il owning a MacBook Pro), and me not wanting to be the 'fun police', since the description only mentioned Brittany smuggling in stuff like questionable literature, nostalgic propaganda, foreign alcohol, entertainment media, cars, jewellery, luxurious clothing, etc...

That was until I actually played as Brittany and discovered the way that black market luxury trade works. In that you obtain the merchandise by setting up a black market trading operation in a country, which you can only do if their stability is already below 50%. Afterwards, you will have a random chance of gaining new goods that you can sell somewhere else...

Now, exactly what kind of black market 'luxury goods' does an unstable, and most likely poor and wartorn country reliably produces a steady supply of, and will have a high demand overseas?

That's right, I am talking about human sex trafficking, mostly of desperate people that will do whatever it takes to set out of their situation in hopes of a better life (Or worst, parents selling one of their kids to the black market in order to feed the rest of them).

And of course, it goes without saying that Brittany is absolutely engaging in drug trafficking as well.

By comparison, I wonder if the flavouring events of them smuggling copies of Captain America comic books, film reels of Italian cinema, and bottles of Russian vodka would almost be a mere side hustle compared to what really brings in all the money....

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Found this on TVTropes, for anyone that is interest. Burgundy's full focus tree:

r7enwdynblf51.png

Don't think it can hurt to spoiler-mark it, but nonetheless very... enlightening, to say the least, I must say. Burgundy has more internal problems than meets the eye!

So, Kaya path is a non go for everyone trying, it is still not fully implemented yet so you always collapse

No wonder Takagi always succeeds him a year or two later on! It makes more sense now.

A bit of Fridge Horror regarding Brittany....

While playing as any other country, whenever Brittany sets up their black market luxury good trading operation in my country, unlike with their arms trade, I have always been hesitant to crackdown too hard upon them. Due to a combination of me staying in chararter in most cases as a reformist/liberal minded leader for said country (Who I imagine would be partaking in some of those black market luxury goods themselves, the same way that Stalin in OTL had his private collection of American Western movies, or Kim Jong Il owning a MacBook Pro), and me not wanting to be the 'fun police', since the description only mentioned Brittany smuggling in stuff like questionable literature, nostalgic propaganda, foreign alcohol, entertainment media, cars, jewellery, luxurious clothing, etc...

That was until I actually played as Brittany and discovered the way that black market luxury trade works. In that you obtain the merchandise by setting up a black market trading operation in a country, which you can only do if their stability is already below 50%. Afterwards, you will have a random chance of gaining new goods that you can sell somewhere else...

Now, exactly what kind of black market 'luxury goods' does an unstable, and most likely poor and wartorn country reliably produces a steady supply of, and will have a high demand overseas?

That's right, I am talking about human sex trafficking, mostly of desperate people that will do whatever it takes to set out of their situation in hopes of a better life (Or worst, parents selling one of their kids to the black market in order to feed the rest of them).

And of course, it goes without saying that Brittany is absolutely engaging in drug trafficking as well.

By comparison, I wonder if the flavouring events of them smuggling copies of Captain America comic books, film reels of Italian cinema, and bottles of Russian vodka would almost be a mere side hustle compared to what really brings in all the money....

This is made explicitly clear that this is what happens with Brittany, especially with Celestin Laine potentially overthrowing Mordrel. While the scale of which immoral (to put it lightly) activities may not be known in Brittany during the first few years of the game, should be take over it will be undoubtedly boosted a hundred fold. And then the implication is that it can be expanded into relatively stable small countries , or other well-developed but faltering nations which aren't the despicable far right-wing dictatorships.

This therefore means that it's not just the poor war-torn countries that are brimming with narcotics and various types of slaves. It's not just impoverished places in Africa or Central and South America, or warlord states in China or the former Soviet Union. It's places like Iberia and Ireland. South Africa, should it make it through its war alive. Indonesia. Norway. OFN members and affiliates. Romania. Italy, perhaps.

And it can be assumed that if Brittany under Laine survives into the 1970s, it would stand to profit immensely in these dealings in the now unstable Middle East, exporting and smuggling even more... uh, "exotic entertainment" worldwide and starting a potential narcotics crisis in a traditionally conservative part of the world. And if China loses the Great Asian War, and/or if Russia loses its potential war against the Third Reich, what is there to stop the growing and selling of opium (or the mass production of something like krokodil) in the presumably balkanized land that was once known as the Middle Kingdom (or a destabilized Motherland), unless Japanese (or local Russian) authorities wanted to start their own "War on Drugs?" And speaking of...

...the United States wouldn't have to manufacture a War on Drugs if the country wasn't on solid footing or careening towards an extremist Presidency due to colossal screwups in the 1960s and early 1970s, as Brittany inadvertently did it for them, and to them!

Good God, Brittany could potentially and arguably do more to destabilize the world than Burgundy ever could, and not just in arms dealing to prolong wars and make mad bank!

Off-topic and on a lighter note:
222gxbqkznm51.jpg
Imagine Frank (Danny Devito) from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as Scorza (The Current Portrait) doing a bunch of things? Or heck imagine Joe Rogan being Scorza (The Old Portrait) wanting to bodyslam Ciano for trying to end Fascism.

Where is Timoshenko in TNO?
Timoshenko appears on the West Russian War map as leading what appears to be an army in Karelia invading Finland (the formation is named "NORTH" and has an XXXX marker which should indicate an army, but given the seemingly random way the numbers of Xs on each counter are marked, it's not entirely clear if this is the intended meaning) but I'm not clear where he went after that. I'll go take a look now, and let you know if I find him. Although for that matter, I do wonder where Tolbukhin went in TNO; I checked the warlords a while ago and he doesn't appear as a general for any of them so far as I know. I suppose it's possible he died in one of the many wars, which would be a bit of a shame.

EDIT: Timoshenko is the starting Head of Government for the WRRF, which makes it odd that he isn't one of the WRRF's starting generals, given that Altunin and Grechko both are generals in addition to holding positions in Voroshilov's cabinet.

Last edited:
Although for that matter, I do wonder where Tolbukhin went in TNO; I checked the warlords a while ago and he doesn't appear as a general for any of them so far as I know. I suppose it's possible he died in one of the many wars, which would be a bit of a shame.
I mean, he died in 1949 IOTL, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.