The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparker77

Banned
So I guess due to lower population concentration most people who will be effected would be American troops task with spraying it then. So it will still be problematic at home, rather than both home and abroad.

I mean, I kinda feel like the reference to the Nazis literally murdering most of Quelimane if they manage to recapture it kinda puts that in perspective......

I mean, I kinda feel like the reference to the Nazis literally murdering most of Quelimane if they manage to recapture it kinda puts that in perspective......
True true, whatever the American does in even the worst case scenerio pale in comparison to the shit the Nazi will do. But I imagine these kind of stuff won't simply be overlook by the public.

So I guess due to lower population concentration most people who will be effected would be American troops task with spraying it then. So it will still be problematic at home, rather than both home and abroad.
In game terms another thing is that U.S. divisions are hard-capped to start? Something like 7.2K men for infantry and mechanized, 9.5K for national guard, 8.2K for armored, and 7.1K for airborne (helicopter).

That can be changed later on, once you start fighting and can gain experience to start changing the division template (U.S. specifically can't do training exercises).

But even after something like two or three years you might only be able to get 10 divisions in, which means 50-80 thousand men, as far as the army is concerned.

Or alternatively enough time passes and the Nazis use chemical weapons and then you're free to just send your entire army to Africa.

But honestly I'm willing to handwave it a bit because it's actually a bit ridiculous to have a whole vietnam parallel, including massive domestic discontent, with something like only 10-20 percent of the men involved.

Last edited:
So checking back

There are quite a few references to both defoliants and napalm, which duh, given this is being made out to be a vietnam parallel. If the Germans take East London or retake Leopoldville, it's said that they'll heavily use napalm to do it, literally burning out the defenders. And the localization for the Americans includes an 'Operation Ranch Hand' which makes note of the "rainbow pesticides" they can use to clear a path to invade Ostafrika. And how air superiority means they can napalm to force the germans out of the jungles and mountains, "napalm won't carry itself."
Operation Ranch Hand was the OTL name of the program to spray South Vietnam with defoliants, so it is absolutely not being subtle at all about what is going on in TNO-verse.

Operation Ranch Hand was the OTL name of the program to spray South Vietnam with defoliants, so it is absolutely not being subtle at all about what is going on in TNO-verse.
I'm aware! It's very much not subtle that they can be used in some capacity, yes.

But as is the case the actual duration and impact of their use is up to a lot of arguable variables. Which especially gets at how clunky trying to make defending South Africa from the Afrikan Shield into another Vietnam (or super Vietnam?) can be, in terms of reality/narrative.

I'm aware! It's very much not subtle that they can be used in some capacity, yes.

But as is the case the actual duration and impact of their use is up to a lot of arguable variables. Which especially gets at how clunky trying to make defending South Africa from the Afrikan Shield into another Vietnam (or super Vietnam?) can be, in terms of reality/narrative.
That's why I've argued that the real Vietnam analogue should be the Indonesian War, especially a hypothetical Indonesian Civil War that takes place after the defeat of Sukarno. The anti-Sukarno coalition is rather diverse and ripe for internal conflict, which could easily pull the United States into a complicated vortex rather similar to the Vietnam War. Alternatively, the post-total-OFN Victory scenario in Africa is relatively similar to the Vietnam War, especially the generals involved, but there's a dire shortage of storytelling on the U.S. side to make the analogy more clear. But the SAW itself really doesn't parallel the Vietnam War at all, it's more like...super-Grenada? I mean, it tends to be a short, easy war for the United States against a clear bad guy. There's not really an obvious parallel from the OTL Cold War.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am playing my first kawaii campaign as Serov-chan!

unknown.png

unknown.png

That's why I've argued that the real Vietnam analogue should be the Indonesian War, especially a hypothetical Indonesian Civil War that takes place after the defeat of Sukarno. The anti-Sukarno coalition is rather diverse and ripe for internal conflict, which could easily pull the United States into a complicated vortex rather similar to the Vietnam War. Alternatively, the post-total-OFN Victory scenario in Africa is relatively similar to the Vietnam War, especially the generals involved, but there's a dire shortage of storytelling on the U.S. side to make the analogy more clear. But the SAW itself really doesn't parallel the Vietnam War at all, it's more like...super-Grenada? I mean, it tends to be a short, easy war for the United States against a clear bad guy. There's not really an obvious parallel from the OTL Cold War.
That's an intriguing idea. Probably would end up happening too.

Though honestly I think they should just avoid making anything explicitly TNO America's 'Vietnam.' The world just doesn't seem set up for it, yet. Even in your scenario with Indonesia, the real parallel clusterfuck there is going to be for Japan, who realistically should just be dumping as many troops as it takes to keep Indonesia on side. Between the oil, possibly losing control of the straits, the possibility of this leading to other parts of their sphere revolting in a sort of domino theory, this is their Super-Vietnam.

Whereas if Free Indonesia collapses I think the only thing the Americans truly care about is making sure the Japanese don't return? Otherwise it'll probably just be any other conflict where the U.S. ships a lot of arms and cash to its favored faction and leaves it at that. Same with the mandates, really, though how those can/should go is a really interesting topic.

Last edited:
Time for another TNO run retrospective.

I just finished Harold Wilson, and honestly it was another Bad Run. Between the spelling mistakes, the finicky election mechanics that required save-scumming for me, a glitch that made it so I couldn't restore Britain or go through my focus tree until I used console commands, and the fact that ultimately it was just regular social democracy but with edgy aesthetics, it really wasn't for me.

Trying Vyatka next.

Last edited:

MOE SUPER EVENTS!

Ok, time to comment on them

Suslov is the most "Evil is cool" one!
The most frightening waifu is Ivan Serov!
The most good-unsettling is Stalina-chan!
Shafarevich one sends a shiver on the spine!

Huh, nice, I only recognize a handful of these since I don't watch alot of anime, but I do recognize a few, namely Anastasia Romanov from Fate/Grand Order as Vladimir III (an unsurprising choice) and Kaede Akamatsu from Danganronpa V3 as Dimitri Shostakovich (Which fits rather well, with both being skilled classical pianists).

For a mod of this content, this is surprisingly high-quality and high effort and while I typically don't use cosmetic mods I must applaud the work of the dev team behind this one.

A screenshot that someone just shared on Reddit, showing what happens if the Satan worshipping Brotherhood of Cain manages to reunify Russia after the post-Taboritsky midnight collapse:

o5g48thlprq61.png

.... I think that by this point, a lot of people around the world would start to genuinely question if perhaps the Nazis might have a point on the Russians being savages that cannot be trusted to rule themselves. With RK Moskowien/Speer's Paktkommission Russland being a freaking utopia of peace and stability by comparison.

Sorry for the late reply but not only that, but I could see Taboritsky's victory AND Russia either remaining divided or unifying under yet another hellish(or just unpleasant) power as potentially damaging how the Russian identity is viewed worldwide

The Nazis would see themselves vindicated about the "barbaric slavs", the left will apply third-worldist reverse exceptionalist logic to Russia they do OTL to the US and Britain(and to a lesser extent Poland), and view Nazism as only an extension of existing antisemitism in Russia that was "imported" to Germany by way of the white army(and the reason that Communism didn't work in Russia was because the population was too reactionary and chauvinistic themselves, and that Taboritsky was the endpoint of that chauvinistic behavior), political realists will stress perhaps Russia "needed" a strong stalibilizing dictator to avoid Taboritsky, and the liberal democrats might also view democracy as perhaps incompatiable with the Russian psyche.

Last edited:

chankljp

Donor
Sorry for the late reply but not only that, but I could see Taboritsky's victory AND Russia either remaining divided or unifying under yet another hellish(or just unplesant) power as potentially damaging how the Russian identity is viewed worldwide
I think there was a comment over on YouTube that puts it quite well (I am paraphrasing here): Post-Taboritsky, the USSC believes that Russia need to be outright annexed by the United States as an overseas territory in order for the country to have a chance at survival; While the Redeemed Black League believes that the vast majority of their fellow Russians do not deserve to live... The likes of Abaddon/Motsny, Dikiy, and Larionov seems to be determined to prove them correct.

Also, how do you think would things be viewed if a faction which advocates some flavor of Eurasianism like the Central Eurasian Republic or the Trans-Ural Confederation reunifies Russia post-Taboritsky?

Status
Not open for further replies.