What is your favorite cultural region so far?

• Antikunas

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Southern Tahkoxia (Mayans, Kikwinaqs, Teotiwakan, etc.)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Eastern Tahkoxia (Mishasipan dynasties, Lenape, Wigo, etc.)

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Southwestern Tahkoxia (Hopis, Dineans, Tamyens, Chumash)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@JSilvy
Will there be a development relating to unusual warfare? I assume that with the competition between Mayapan states and their neighbors, poisons like manchineel tree extracts and angel’s trumpets and drugs like cocaine would be used to improve the odds with the former likely used against the most despised enemies.

@JSilvy
Will there be a development relating to unusual warfare? I assume that with the competition between Mayapan states and their neighbors, poisons like manchineel tree extracts and angel’s trumpets and drugs like cocaine would be used to improve the odds with the former likely used against the most despised enemies.
I'll admit that I haven't been thinking too much about particulars like poisons and drugs. I have thought somewhat about introducing the use of dart frog poison, but that's definitely something that I wouldn't mind getting more into at some point.

I guess it's the stuff like that you need to be reminded about when you decide to rewrite thousands of years of history of an entire hemisphere.

I'll admit that I haven't been thinking too much about particulars like poisons and drugs. I have thought somewhat about introducing the use of dart frog poison, but that's definitely something that I wouldn't mind getting more into at some point.

I guess it's the stuff like that you need to be reminded about when you decide to rewrite thousands of years of history of an entire hemisphere.
I feel like I left out the Northern half of the hemisphere when discussing poisons. I can also see the Mishasipans and Lenape discovering their set of poisons and their uses given the medical development of the East and the bonds between empires. Snakeroot seems like it could be an essential tool for sabotage and assassination given its effects on domesticated animals(livestock and transport) and their owners.

This latest chapter was a nice and brief read that introduced a new culture, so excellent work as always! I think seeing a map of the Americas at this point would be really good, given that there have been massive geopolitical changes since the last one.

This latest chapter was a nice and brief read that introduced a new culture, so excellent work as always! I think seeing a map of the Americas at this point would be really good, given that there have been massive geopolitical changes since the last one.
Thanks! As fun as these closer narratives of war and conquest were, I enjoyed returning to the heart of the timeline by introducing more new civilizations, and I felt like the Mayan contact would be a good framing device for doing so.

I’ve started on a new map. Also, I should probably update the tl;dr in the spoiler on the first post. I’ve also been thinking of adding a glossary just because of how in-depth and different everything is, including significant people, places, and polities.

I liked it! I'm interested in how these coastal tupis will develop with mayan influence, while i expect the existence of an Yate-Mayan kingdom on the extreme Northeast to result in tupi expansion being severely checked. And this foreshadowing on the Pampas really made me think about it, apparently we had an nomad horsemen confederation that dominated the Cerrado for quite a time before exploding due to usual nomadic confederation overextension problems, with that i imagine that the Charruan peoples will extend quite far in the south, although i doubt their abilities to effectively assimilate the Jê past São Paulo and Mato Grosso do Sul, so i think it will most likely result in an dynamic similar to OTL Turco-Mongol culture, otherwise, the Pampas as an ecological region will probably expand due to the need for more grazing land eventually resulting in the conversion of the southern parts of the Mata Atlântica/Aqal Forest into Pampa grasslands. Another interesting thing is how the eventual Guarani expansion into the Plata Basin will end up, you may get a relationship similar to the nomad-tajik symbiosis that was in effect for the majority of central asian history, with the guarani being urban sedentarian peoples populating around cities while the charruan-jê nomads are more spread out and use the sedentarian centres as places for trade.

As a (pretty pretty pretty pretty) minor nitpick, the Yate had their linguistic identity confused much due to mixing with escaping tupi and slave groups in the Sertão during the colonial period, so you most likely would have an certain linguistic affiliation for them ITTL, if linguistic evidence is confusing, at least historical evidence usually points on a probable jê core and main ancestry for the Yate, so you can go very well with the "Yate are part of the Jê family" path.

I liked it! I'm interested in how these coastal tupis will develop with mayan influence, while i expect the existence of an Yate-Mayan kingdom on the extreme Northeast to result in tupi expansion being severely checked. And this foreshadowing on the Pampas really made me think about it, apparently we had an nomad horsemen confederation that dominated the Cerrado for quite a time before exploding due to usual nomadic confederation overextension problems, with that i imagine that the Charruan peoples will extend quite far in the south, although i doubt their abilities to effectively assimilate the Jê past São Paulo and Mato Grosso do Sul, so i think it will most likely result in an dynamic similar to OTL Turco-Mongol culture, otherwise, the Pampas as an ecological region will probably expand due to the need for more grazing land eventually resulting in the conversion of the southern parts of the Mata Atlântica/Aqal Forest into Pampa grasslands. Another interesting thing is how the eventual Guarani expansion into the Plata Basin will end up, you may get a relationship similar to the nomad-tajik symbiosis that was in effect for the majority of central asian history, with the guarani being urban sedentarian peoples populating around cities while the charruan-jê nomads are more spread out and use the sedentarian centres as places for trade.

As a (pretty pretty pretty pretty) minor nitpick, the Yate had their linguistic identity confused much due to mixing with escaping tupi and slave groups in the Sertão during the colonial period, so you most likely would have an certain linguistic affiliation for them ITTL, if linguistic evidence is confusing, at least historical evidence usually points on a probable jê core and main ancestry for the Yate, so you can go very well with the "Yate are part of the Jê family" path.
Note taken (particularly on that last point).

Tahkoxia and Xuyuba 2900 LC Map
Tahkoxia and Xuyuba 2900 LC Map
Key

Red: Hutyan civilizations
  • Scarlet: Tamyen Republic​
  • Crimson: Chumash Kingdom​
  • Light Red: Tabaah Kingdom​
Blue: Lichikeyan civilizations
  • Royal Blue: Dinetah
  • Navy: Hopia
Yellow: Mishasipa (Inoka Dynasty)

Green: Chononton Kingdom

Orange: Chinguelan Empire

Violet: Mayapan successor states
  • Lavender: Natatsaqian Empire
  • Light Violet: Choxinelan Empire
  • Normal Violet: Tunriachian Empire
  • Dark Violet: Resaxichoxan Empire
Turquoise: Chavin Empire

Magenta: Gyana Coast (multiple small independent cities and tribes)

Pink: Aqala
  • Dark Pink: Yate Kingdom
  • Normal Pink: other small Aqalan states

Tahkoxia:Xuyuba 2900 LC.png

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am currently on day #2 of a mass power outage effective over 1 million people in the northeastern US. As I am forced to miss my various zoom meetings, struggle to prepare food, and have to be extra careful about when I decide to open the refrigerator, it has occurred to me how much it would have sucked to actually live in the days before electricity.

Anyway, since now it’s gonna be some time before the next update as I have no idea when I will be getting power back and will probably have to catch up on the other more necessary tasks that I do when I have regular access to technology, I’d like to pose a thought exercise: of the many different civilizations that exist in this tl, which would you most want to live in?

Hello everyone. I am currently on day #2 of a mass power outage effective over 1 million people in the northeastern US. As I am forced to miss my various zoom meetings, struggle to prepare food, and have to be extra careful about when I decide to open the refrigerator, it has occurred to me how much it would have sucked to actually live in the days before electricity.

Anyway, since now it’s gonna be some time before the next update as I have no idea when I will be getting power back and will probably have to catch up on the other more necessary tasks that I do when I have regular access to technology, I’d like to pose a thought exercise: of the many different civilizations that exist in this tl, which would you most want to live in?
I hear ya only got power back a few hours ago after a days worth of heat and darkness

Probably Inoka Mishasipa for me, between the large expanse of arable land and the Midewi medicine, I feel like it would be the best place perhaps in the entire world for a common person to live at this point in history ITTL

I would like to let everyone know that I have returned from my lack of electricity. Unfortunately I still have a lot of outside work to catch up on, so it may still be a bit longer than usual until the next update.

Hey man, just want to say what an interesting and wonderful native American timeliness you'e made. Take your time to write more.

As for this question, I'd say the Mayapan civilisation, because like Singapore, it's a melting pot of cultures, and the multi-raclialist just loves how the different ethnic groups merge together into one tribe.

And the interesting cuisine they've cultivated. (Not sure if there's anything describing it, but oh well.)

Hey man, just want to say what an interesting and wonderful native American timeliness you'e made. Take your time to write more.

As for this question, I'd say the Mayapan civilisation, because like Singapore, it's a melting pot of cultures, and the multi-raclialist just loves how the different ethnic groups merge together into one tribe.

And the interesting cuisine they've cultivated. (Not sure if there's anything describing it, but oh well.)
I’ve only alluded to cuisine somewhat. In the following updates I plan to do a broader look at the culture of the world as a whole, and cuisine will be part of that.

Tamyens in Manhattan
Tamyens in Manhattan

The ship had been traveling north, following the Kikwinaq Stream(A). Tonsen had travelled a long way from the lands of the Tamyen republic. Tonsen, himself, was from the republics heartland of Ohlone. He had been born in the city of Yelamu(B), but had moved to the capital in Socoisuka. It would be from there that the senate and the consuls would agree to send him on a voyage to see the lands that lay to the east, competing with their Chumash rival to the south.

In the past, seafaring had been limited. The Xamarinaq coast was relatively featureless compared to the Opaneyunk with its seas, archipelagos, and barrier islands. A seafaring merchant could expect to go north for lumber or south to trade with the Chumash, the Dineans, the Teotiwakans, and more recently the Mayans. However, with the new canal in Ok’owa, ships bringing goods from the east were more common than ever, and so Tonsen had set out on an expedition to learn what lay to the south and east.

He had been out at sea for well over a year now. Months ago now, after going as far south as the Chavin port of Wayakil(C), his ships had crossed through the Ok’owa canal. He saw a massive growing city, one that seemed to have grown even larger than Socoisuka, Sashpilil, or Tabaah. There were buildings seemingly right up against the canal on both sides and ferries going across. He had spent some time staying in the tropical metropolis, finding himself wandering among every culture and tongue with which he had been acquainted, as well as plenty that he had never heard before. Despite this, the city was not without its flaws. He saw that, once one went out less than a mile from the canal, the people were crowded into tiny shacks, and sometimes even tents. There was no doubt poverty in Socoisuka, yet he had never seen such a sprawling slum as this before. It was clear that the city’s growth easily outpaced its ability to expand. Slaves assigned with cleaning the streets of the canal zone and the old cities of West and East Ok’owa to the south of the canal maintained the illusion of a utopia of trade and wealth. It was clear to Tonsen that, despite the legendary wealth of this city, the locals did not benefit.

Crossing the isthmus and traveling north, Tonsen would eventually find himself visiting the city of Kuzamil, an old city with an already ancient seafaring tradition. He saw the statue of Pa’nibal by the dock and the statue of Xuluwem in the city square, and even visited the great Temple of Ish Chel. He saw a local democratic tradition not entirely foreign to the him and his fellow Tamyens. However, it was also clear that this city, once center of a seafaring empire, was now past its prime. Traveling through the Kikwinaq, he would visit Shawasha, another city on the decline, and Chimasha, another up-and-coming city that was facing some of the same problems as Ok’owa.

Journeying north now along the eastern Opaneyunk coast of the continent brought him to where he was now. He had heard of a great city to the north built around a harbor that ruled the long coast. It was a city that, despite being a ways away from the riches of the tropics, was rich all in its own way.

As he passed between the two great islands that guarded the harbor, he saw that his ship was one of many. There were many vessels going to and fro. While some seemed to be venturing out to the sea, many of them were traveling island to island and pier to pier, carrying passengers. Looking ahead, he saw a great rusty green colossus, holding a shield on his left arm and a dagger in his right hand, who overlooked the harbor, watching over the city like a patron god. Another island in the middle of the harbor seemed to be the site of a grand structure of some significance to the locals, although the exact appearance of such a structure was difficult to make out because of its distance. As he got closer, he saw a large, marble castle-like building painted in gold and surrounded by a stone wall. Every shoreline that surrounded the harbor appeared to be covered in dense settlement, but none quite as dense as the great island that lay just to the north of the temple island, the legendary island of Manhattan on which he was to land.

Exiting the ship and stepping out onto the busy dock on the southwestern shores of the island(D), he found busy streets and an assortment of people of various cultures. Perhaps this was not to the same extent as in Ok’owa, but all the more impressive when he considered that this harbor was much further from the center of world trade. This could be seen clearly at the sprawling market along the shores as well as the alleyways draped in colorful fabric and lined with vendors. At the corner of the well-organized streets, a long colorfully-painted blue and gold carriage drawn by two white horses pulled up, demanding copper coins for passage. Paying in silver, he and ten of his crew that came with him hopped into the carriage, which pulled them across the city. They rode past a variety of multi-level flats made of brick and concrete with tiled roofs. He saw how various flats would be built around smaller alleyways and courtyards that could only be ventured by foot. One building which towered above the rest in Lower Manhattan, however, was the imperial palace(E). As he approached the corner near the palace, he ordered his men to exit the carriage. A large verdant park bustling with people and vendors selling goods as well as food such as street oysters(1) and flavored jerky surrounded the great walls, held up by massive columns and arches. The central keep was massive, larger than any other structure he had seen, with a great white facade of marble columns that was rounded by the entry way giving way to an expansive structure, with a massive dome on top in the middle and several golden conical towers that reached towards the heavens.

As they entered another carriage painted red and gold that made its way north, they further saw as the city changed. Moving north, they passed through a massive forum lined with shops and nearby theatres(F) and a massive green park(G) surrounded by a low stone wall that kept it separated from yet simultaneously immersed in the surrounding metropolis. The greatest site in the north, however, was when he came across an grand archway between two great brick and concrete buildings. Passing between them, he saw what was like another world entirely concealed from the city. Great stone buildings held up by massive columns surrounded a grassy campus(H), and at one end of it was the one building in the city he had seen that could hold a finger to either the palace or the temple– the great Library of Manhattan. This library, located on what he had learned was the campus of the Grand Academy of Manhattan, supposedly held an untold amount of books that could not be counted from all over the world. Much like the dock, this campus was incredibly diverse, with scholars running too and fro with more books than he had ever seen. Of course, he had heard of the academy, and hoped that he would find another source their to compare his own maps that he had drawn on the voyage thus far, but this was like nothing he had ever seen. This place surrounded by its brick buildings and with its massive library was like a whole other world from the city. It was another dimension where the urban chaos did not reach.

The legends that he had heard in Ok’owa were true. Salt came from the land of the Chavin. Dye came from the land of Aqala. Gold and silver came from the kingdoms to the north. But true elevation of the human spirit could only be found in Manhattan.

(1) Street oysters were a popular form of street food still eaten to this day. It often involves oysters that are farmed in the harbor, cook in their shells, and then have the shells filled with corn, rice, or mashed potato. They are often also flavored with seaweed, a variety of fruits, cheese, or even other forms of seafood or meat. Shells would often be recycled for their minerals, often used in jewelry or for fertilizer.

(A) The Gulf Stream

(B) San Francisco, CA

(C) Guayaquil, Ecuador

(D) Roughly around the World Trade Center

(E) Greenwich Village in the area around Washington Square Park

(F) Located around the Theatre District in Manhattan

(G) Location corresponds roughly with Central Park.

(H) Located in Morningside Heights, Manhattan

Still quite busy, but I had some free time so I thought I'd do a small update to get back into the swing of things. I was originally gonna save the food stuff for a larger update, but I figured I'd get into some street food now.
Thoughts?

Still quite busy, but I had some free time so I thought I'd do a small update to get back into the swing of things. I was originally gonna save the food stuff for a larger update, but I figured I'd get into some street food now.
Thoughts?

Nice update! Manhattan sounds amazing, hopefully we don't have an equivalent of the siege of Baghdad at some point and all that knowledge is retained.

How far east is Tonsen planning on traveling? Is his boat up for an Atlantic crossing?

Edit: that colossus was a nice touch as well, the more things change the more they somehow stay the same haha

Last edited:
Thoughts?
Interesting update. Will be looking forward to more. Though if I may ask, what king of age are we in i.e. Iron or Steel Age?