The Marriage of the Century - A Burgundian Timeline

So I need a husband for Infanta Maria b 1482. Her sisters are married to/going to marry

Infanta Isabella - Prince Alfonso of Portugal

Infanta Ana - Duke Philip of Burgundy

Infanta Juana - Archduke Charles of Austria

Infanta Catalina - Richard, Prince of Wales

Who is the lucky man for Maria? Needs suggestions!

So I need a husband for Infanta Maria b 1482. Her sisters are married to/going to marry

Maybe James IV of Scotland or Christian II of Denmark?
Or Maria in England and Catalina married to the Dauphin of France (if you wanted higher matches for them).
The heir of Savoy also can work if he has the right age (but would be already tied by his sister wedding to Maria’s brother)

[Naples has the problem who it’s Aragones’ King were descendants of Ferdinand’s illegitimate cousin and, unlike his father, Ferdinand was more-or-less against recognizing them unless that damaged his sister Juana or her namesake daughter. So if either Juana is Queen or has a child in contention for the crown, Ferdinand of Aragon will support the dynasty of Naples, if they are not in power then he can do whatever he wish with Naples, and that would be likely waiting for the right moment for claiming it for himself]

Last edited:
Maybe James IV of Scotland or Christian II of Denmark? [Naples has the problem who it’s Aragones’ King were descendants of Ferdinand’s illegitimate cousin and, unlike his father, Ferdinand was more-or-less against recognizing them unless that damaged his sister Juana or her namesake daughter. So if either Juana is Queen or has a child in contention for the crown, Ferdinand of Aragon will support the dynasty of Naples, if they are not in power then he can do whatever he wish with Naples, and that would be likely waiting for the right moment for claiming it for himself]

Scotland would be interesting, but I think James IV might have been too pro-French for that. Denmark could well work.

Have I got confused or are Ana and Juana going to be mother and daughter in law??

Have I got confused or are Ana and Juana going to be mother and daughter in law??
Philip of Burgundy is the son of Charles the Bold and Margaret of York
Charles of Austria is the son of Maximilian of Austria and Mary of Burgundy
So Ana is married to the half-brother of Juana’s future mother-in-law

Philip of Burgundy is the son of Charles the Bold and Margaret of York
Charles of Austria is the son of Maximilian of Austria and Mary of Burgundy
So Ana is married to the half-brother of Juana’s future mother-in-law

Yeah, Philip of Burgundy is Mary of Burgundy's half brother, so Charles of Austria is Philip's half-nephew. I'm gonna post family trees soon, it gets difficult in keeping track of everyone, even for me!

I think James IV of Scotland is gonna be a good option for Maria, I have a burgundian match in mind for Christian II. Btw, is a Burgundy-Denmark match viable at this time? OTL, Christian married Isabella of Austria, but here his future wife is just burgundian. Does it work?

Yeah, Philip of Burgundy is Mary of Burgundy's half brother, so Charles of Austria is Philip's half-nephew. I'm gonna post family trees soon, it gets difficult in keeping track of everyone, even for me!

I think James IV of Scotland is gonna be a good option for Maria, I have a burgundian match in mind for Christian II. Btw, is a Burgundy-Denmark match viable at this time? OTL, Christian married Isabella of Austria, but here his future wife is just burgundian. Does it work?
Can work... I do not know if Christian wanted more an Imperial or Burgundian match...
James IV of Scotland can work only if Richard has not a daughter around that age to offer for James (or no interest in marrying his own daughter in Scotland)

Last edited:
I think the Habsburgs would need to divide Silesia and return parts of it to Poland if they acquire Bohemia without marriage and oust the Jagiellonians.

I think one of the sons of Mary of Burgundy can marry a daughter of Margaret of Thuringia and get the crown of Bohemia.

Marrying Maria to James IV could be interesting Isabella of Castile toyed with the idea but her daughter Isabella's death meant that Maria had to marry the king of Portugal. Anyways in this scenario Maria's marriage to James would likely bring a substantial dowry and an alliance with two of the most powerful monarchs at the time. With Maria and Catherine marrying The kings of Scotland and England respectively there may be peace between England and Scotland.

Marrying Maria to James IV could be interesting Isabella of Castile toyed with the idea but her daughter Isabella's death meant that Maria had to marry the king of Portugal. Anyways in this scenario Maria's marriage to James would likely bring a substantial dowry and an alliance with two of the most powerful monarchs at the time. With Maria and Catherine marrying The kings of Scotland and England respectively there may be peace between England and Scotland.
that wedding failed also because Henry VII wanted James as husband for his own eldest daughter Margaret

On the plus side Catherine can negotiate with her sister if Flodden occurs. And James will live longer, I have a soft spot for him.