Do You Want Albinus to Succeed?

• Yes, Long Live the Republic!

Votes: 73 68.2%
  • No, Stop the Madness!

Votes: 34 31.8%

• Total voters
The Many Shades of Rome: Severus Dies at Nicaea Timeline

300px-Aurelius180AD.png

Welcome to the timeline! The POD I will explore is Emperor Septimius Severus dying at the Battle of Nicaea, OTL battle was a very close contest, and the effects that follow. The Severans ruled over a transition period in the empire's history before the melt down of the so called Crisis of the Third Century. Removing Severus from the equation creates alot of topics to be explored. In particular the lives of Severus' rivals Clodius Albinus and Pescennius Niger. All comments, questions, ideas are welcome.:)

Last edited:
Spring-Summer of 193
Spring-Summer of 193: Death of Pertinax and Rise of the Three Emperors

Pertinax

The date is March 28th, 193, Roman Emperor Publius Helvius Pertinax is dead, killed at the hands of his own Praetorian Guard having reigned for only two months. On his accession to the throne, many had hoped Pertinax would be the man who would lead the empire back to the days of Marcus Aurelius. These dreams were shattered when Pertinax made the mistake of crossing the Praetorians a decision for which he paid the ultimate price. To the horror of many, the Guard then took the scandalous decision to sell the throne to the highest bidder. A prominent senator named Didius Julianus gave the biggest bribe and assumed the purple later that day.

With Rome in a state of chaos, three men rose up in the provinces and declared themselves emperor. In Britain, Clodius Albinius, "the White", secured the support of the island's three legions and proceeded to assume control over Gaul and Spain. Albinus was a moderate figure, known to favor Republicanism, and was popular with the Senatorial class. On the Danube, Septimius Severus rallied the legions of Pannonia to his banner. He was a man of mixed Italian and Punic ancestry and hailed from the North African town of Leptis Magna. Severus could be described as a military man through and through, perhaps the most interesting aspect about him was his influential Syrian wife Julia Domna. Finally in Syria, Pescennius Niger, "the Black", had gained the support of the Eastern Legions. Niger was an ambitious man who viewed himself as the "New Alexander". He took the cognomen Justus, "the Just" to signify to the people the manner in which he hoped to rule.

Julianus reign in Rome proved to be an unpopular one in one instance a mob even pelted stones at him. His rule was based solely upon the guard's support and he lacked the backing of the people and army. The popular dislike of Julianus led to appeals being made to the three self-proclaimed emperors to depose the usurper. Niger prepared to head west, but he was beaten to the act by Severus. Severus took his legions into Italy and marched on Rome itself. The capture of the city was accomplished with ease and Julianus was deposed. By June, Severus was in control of the Roman heartland and acknowledged by the Senate as emperor.

After assuming power it was thought Severus and Albinus would now fight it out for control of the west. Albinus had crossed over from Britain with an army and was in a position to challenge the African Emperor. Severus however skillfully defused the situation by offering Albinus an alliance. Albinus would be recognized as Caesar under him with de facto control over the western provinces. This proved a suitable solution for both men, Albinus could focus on local matters and Severus would be free to deal with Niger.

Severus had seized Niger's family then in Italy when Niger refused to recognize him as emperor. With war seeming imminent, Niger made a series of powerful alliances to challenge Severus' right to rule. He won over Egyptian Prefect Lucius Sabinus hoping to use his legion to cut Rome's grain supply. He made a pact with Asellius Aemilianus, a relative and ally of Albinus, who commanded the loyalty of the legions in Asia Minor. The Parthian Empire, Rome historic foe to the east, as well lent Niger its support. In response to these developments, Severus promptly assembled his army and marched east. The Fall of 193 would witness the decisive encounter between the two emperors.

Last edited:
Fall of 193
Fall of 193: Battle of Nicaea and Death of Severus

220px-Aureus_Pescennius_Niger_%28obverse%29.jpg

Pescennius Niger

Before beginning his drive east, Severus made sure to leave a stable foundation in place. He needed to know that Rome was secure and thus left it entrusted to two of his closest associates Gaius Dexter and Gaius Plautianus. Dexter, a senator of great experience, was given command of Rome's Cohortes Urbanae and Plautianus, a close childhood friend, was put in charge of the city's Vigiles Urbani. These two would serve a similar role as Mark Antony to Caesar who held Italy when the Roman Dictator was off campaigning. The Senate was also given a hefty bribe to silence any opposition.

The army marched out of Italy. Lucius Cilo, former legate and proconsul, commanded the vanguard. Julius Laetus, a popular young officer, commanded the cavalry. The bulk of the legionaries were split between Tiberius Candidus and Marius Maximus both loyal legates from the Danube. At first, Severus merely accompanied the campaign but did not command the army in person preferring the role of strategist. His wife, his brother Publius Septimius Geta and his two sons Bassianus and Geta accompanied him on the campaign.

When news of Severus advance reached him, Niger abandoned his Egyptian plans and moved to take personal command of his Asian legions at Byzantium. Cilo and the advanced force soon arrived at Perinthus to the west of Byzantium. Cilo's men numbered only a few thousand men, Niger saw an opportunity and struck. Niger with superior numbers routed them after a short engagement. Niger then withdrew back to Byzantium to await the rest of Severus' army. Severus arriving in person captured Perinthus and establishing his headquarters in the city. The rout of Cilo had been an embarrassing error, he needed a victory to redeem himself in the eyes of his men. Maximus was ordered to put Byzantium under siege while Candidus was sent with half the army across to Asia Minor.

Once across, Candidus planned on moving against Nicaea. This was a bastion of Niger supporters who had greeted the would be emperor with much fanfare. Niger's general Aemilianus moved to block his advance and the two then fought a fierce battle at Cyzicus. Candidus got the better of the struggle but failed to cut off the retreating enemy. Aemilianus and the bulk of his forces were able to pull back and join with Niger. Severus was very frustrated at the failures of his subordinates thus he arrived in person to assume command.

What would be the decisive battle of the campaign was fought near Nicaea. The battle was conducted over a large area to the west of the city. Severus and Niger both jockeyed for terrain advantages, Severus capturing a patch of high ground and Niger putting men in boats on a nearby lake to rain missile fire on Severus. As the battle wore on Niger was clearly gaining the edge driving Severus men back. At this moment Severus took to his horse and lead the reserves personally into the fray. At first, it looked like the tide might turn in his favor but at the key moment he was struck down. The Severan army then began to fall back in disorder, Candidus could do nothing to stop the rout. Many men were captured or defected in the retreat. What remained of the Severan army crossed over back over to Perinthus.

Last edited:
I feel like the Severan dynasty was badly inconsistent in regards to the rulers it often produced, ranging from anywhere between "mildly competent" (Septimius, Alexander) towards "tyrannical" (Caracalla) or even "useless" (Elagabalus). However, i feel like some of their situation was caused by the structural problems of the empire, mainly, the over-reliance on the armies and praetorians, and the bad precedent (already set since the Year of The Four Emperors) of generals deciding to become usurpers. Whether the ensuing dynasties of Clodius The White or Pescennius The Black would have handled the prelude to the Third Century Crisis better than the Severans is very up in the air to me, but, if the author wants to make that so, then so be it. Heck, @alcibiades , you could even have them fuck up more than Severus, ensuring an earlier Crisis.
Nevertheless, i'll be watching with interest, and i'll wait to see how the plot thickens.

Last edited:
@alcibades, do you have any access to ebook libraries via college or the like? There are several sources I had in mind that would otherwise be expensive to obtain.

Also let's nerf Christianity in favor of a semi-polytheist pagan religion like Sol Invictus/Isis/Mithras/Mani

Maximinus Thrax: Strongman Emperor of Rome
Septimius Severus: The African Emperor
Emperor Alexander Severus: Rome's Age of Insurrection
Aurelian and the Third Century
A Political History of Early Christianity
The Religion of the Mithras Cult in the Roman Empire : Mysteries of the Unconquered Sun

Last edited:
@alcibades, do you have any access to ebook libraries via college or the like? There are several sources I had in mind that would otherwise be expensive to obtain.

Also let's nerf Christianity in favor of a semi-polytheist pagan religion like Sol Invictus/Isis/Mithras/Mani

Maximinus Thrax: Strongman Emperor of Rome
Septimius Severus: The African Emperor
Emperor Alexander Severus: Rome's Age of Insurrection
Aurelian and the Third Century
A Political History of Early Christianity
The Religion of the Mithras Cult in the Roman Empire : Mysteries of the Unconquered Sun

Thanks! I do have access to an e library, I'll try to get my hands on them if available. I have African Emperor and I ordered Alexander Severus, it looks really good. I also recently picked up Caracalla: Military Biography by Syvanne. Pen and Sword sure came out with alot of Severus books last year! Thanks for your time.:)

I feel like the Severan dynasty was badly inconsistent in regards to the rulers it often produced, ranging from anywhere between "mildly competent" (Septimius, Alexander) towards "tyrannical" (Caracalla) or even "useless" (Elagabalus). However, i feel like some of their situation was caused by the structural problems of the empire, mainly, the over-reliance on the armies and praetorians, and the bad precedent (already set since the Year of The Four Emperors) of generals deciding to become usurpers. Whether the ensuing dynasties of Clodius The White or Pescennius The Black would have handled the prelude to the Third Century Crisis better than the Severans is very up in the air to me, but, if the author wants to make that so, then so be it. Heck, @alcibiades , you could even have them fuck up more than Severus, ensuring an earlier Crisis.
Nevertheless, i'll be watching with interest, and i'll wait to see how the plot thickens.

Good ideas, much thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Winter 193-Spring 194
Winter 193-Spring 194: Niger's Amnesty, Plautianus' Reign of Terror and Albinus' Triumph

220px-ClodiusAlbinus.jpg

Clodius Albinus

With Severus dead, along with his brother and much of his retinue, the remnants of the army rallied behind Julius Laetus. Laetus was one of the most popular soldiers among the Severan legionaries, it was said the army wouldn't move without his presence. On assuming command, Laetus realized that their was little hope of continuing the war and decided to come to terms with the eastern emperor. Laetus let Niger's family free and in turn presented him with Severus' wife and sons. To the surprise of many, Niger true to his self proclaimed title of Justus spared them and allowed them to leave in peace. Niger also declared a general amnesty to all of Severus' legionaries and rewarded Laetus with a command in his army. In recognition of Niger's leniency a majority of the soldiers joined his cause. The victorious emperor then proceeded to secure control over Greece and the Danube frontier.

News had traveled to Rome of the disaster at Nicaea and rioting broke out in several quarters. These outbursts however were quickly suppressed by Plautianus and his Vigiles. Plautianus, an African kin of Severus, was a violent and abusive man who was used to bullying his way to power. He soon pushed aside his colleague Gaius Dexter and took complete control of the city. With Severus and his brother dead, Plautianus now took it upon himself to assume the reigns of government. He even went so far as to force the Senate into declaring him emperor and had having both Albinus and Niger declared enemies of the state. This was a terrifying period for the Roman people as Plautianus brutally enforced his rule in a similar vain to Sejanus.

The chaotic situation in Rome did not go unnoticed by Albinus. The western emperor had arrived at Lugdunum in Gaul with his legions. There he summoned the Gallic aristocracy and the army of Spain under his ally Lucius Rufus. He asked and received their support for move against Italy to end Plautianus' rule. Sometime during this period, Albinus also opened communications with Niger using as an intermediary his cousin Aemilianus who was still serving as Niger's primary field commander. Niger gave his approval of Albinus' planned venture against the capital and even offered to resurrect his Egyptian scheme to cut the grain supply flowing into Italy. The New Alexander had no issue with Albinus holding Italy as long as his rule in the east was recognized.

In early spring of 194, Albinus began putting his plans into motion. The army moved into Italy through the Alpine passes meeting little resistance. Plautianus simple did not have the manpower to secure the passes and was focused almost solely on holding Rome. However as Albinus and his legions marched closer and closer to the city he soon recognized the situation was hopeless. Plautianus abandoned the city, boarding a ship and fleeing to his African homeland. Albinus entered Rome in triumph and was hailed by both the Senate and people. Albinus announced the rebirth of the republic and to further cement his position declared Pulbius Pertinax the Younger, son of the deceased Emperor, as his Caesar. These moves by Albinus were well received by all and it looked like the start of a glorious new era.

Last edited:
Love the beginning of this TL, and I'm looking forward to seeing more! This is a really interesting period of Roman history, and I'm excited by the fallout of Severus' death (and the possible implications of Albinus' "restoration" of the Republic).

I also love this bit of foreshadowing: "These moves by Albinus were well received by all and it looked like the start of a glorious new era."

Looks interesting, a good time period to make changes.
Love the beginning of this TL, and I'm looking forward to seeing more! This is a really interesting period of Roman history, and I'm excited by the fallout of Severus' death (and the possible implications of Albinus' "restoration" of the Republic).

I also love this bit of foreshadowing: "These moves by Albinus were well received by all and it looked like the start of a glorious new era."

Thanks and glad you are both enjoying the timeline. :)

Summer-Fall 194: Niger
(Niger) Summer-Fall 194: Egypt and Emesa

philae1.jpg

Temple of Isis at Philae

Niger was in Egypt at the time of Plautianus' fall from power. He wanted to reward the province for its loyalty to him during the civil war. Egypt had been discontent with rule from Rome for sometime. Two decades prior it had served as the primary support base for Avidius Cassius' failed rebellion against Emperor Marcus Aurelius. It was important to keep the populace happy or Niger feared they would turn on him soon enough. Egyptian Prefect Lucius Sabinus was rewarded financially for his help against Severus and a number of building projects were undertaken in his province.

During his stay, Niger also spent his time touring the major sites in the province. His first stop was at the tomb of Alexander the Great in Alexandria. Alexander of Macedon was a hero of Niger's and he wanted to rule in his image. He had grown long sideburns to match Alexander's appearance and took some of his military effects from the tomb. Niger found the military equipment of that era appealing and even hoped to modify his army to fit its mold. In particular he favored the thrusting Hasta spear as the primary infantry weapon and had plans to expand the Roman cavalry arm on a more eastern model. Where Niger differed from Alexander is that he had no interesting in provoking the current occupants of Persia the Parthians. He had in fact worked to foster a good relationship with Parthian King Vologases along with King Abgar of Edessa and King Barsemius of Hatra.

Another important stop for Niger was the Temple of Isis at Philae. The Cult of Isis had broad appeal among the people and the visit was a good boost to his public image. Unlike the modest Albinus, Niger wished to foster a cult of personality around himself. His patronage was not limited to Isis, for example he showed himself to be a strong supporter of Mithraism. This cult was extremely popular among the legionaries whose support Niger relied upon above all else.

Another cult that caught Niger's attention was that of the sun god Elagabalus based around the Syrian city of Emesa. Emesa was one of the few towns in the east that had declared for Severus during the civil war. Julia Domna, wife of Severus, was from Emesa and her father Julius Bassianus was high priest of the temple of the sun. In the aftermath of Severus' death the city had repented and pledged allegiance to Niger. However it still served as a center of pro Severan and anti Niger sentiment. This presented somewhat of a danger to the new Alexander, as the Severans still had significant support in the army. Compounding the issue Domna, after being released by Niger, had taken her children to Emesa to live with her family. Domna proceed to form what was effectively her own court gathering around herself men of influence. Her children by Severus still very young but Niger began to think sparing them might have been a mistake. He would have to keep his eye on Syria in the future.

220px-Julia_Domna_Glyptothek_Munich_354.jpg

Julia Domna

Last edited:
Summer-Fall 194: Albinus
(Albinus) Summer-Fall 194: Albinus' Reforms and Rebellion in Africa

220px-Papinian_bas-relief_in_the_U.S._House_of_Representatives_chamber.jpg

In Rome, Albinus was attempting to confront the many structural issues present in the empire. His goal of restoring the republic was utopian in nature. Turning back the clock to the republic that existed centuries ago was almost impossible. The rule of a single man was viewed as a necessity. What Albinus could do was change the direction of the empire moving it to a system in which the people had more influence and the Senate was respected. Commodus had been the first emperor to use the term Dominus Noster, Our Lord, and viewed himself as such. Pertinax had done away with these grandiose titles and had tried to restore the emperor back to simply Princeps or First Citizen, Albinus hope to continue this trend. He also renewed Pertinax's pledge that no Senator was to be put to death during his reign. Even the likes of senator Quintus Falco who had attempted to overthrow the government were to be spared. He hoped to replace the atmosphere of fear instilled by his predecessors and provide a sense of calm.

Albinus as well pardoned many of bureaucrats who had served under Severus and Plautianus. In similarity with previous emperors such as Claudius, he hoped to improve the administration of the empire by appointing men based on merit. Marcius Agrippa, a freeman, was affirmed as advocatus fisci in charge of imperial treasury and tasked with stabilizing the currency. Opellius Marcrinus, a lawyer, was given the positions of cognitionibus and Ab epistulis thus in charge of correspondences and bringing legal cases before the Princeps. In making his decisions Albinus in the style of Aurelius courted the opinions of skilled jurists such as Papinian, Julius Paulus and Ulpian. Many of these reforms were announced on August 1st, 194, the dual birthday of Claudius and Pertinax, a time when games commemorating the emperors were held.

Another important reform program Albinus undertook was the restructuring of the Praetorian Guard, the Cohortes Urbanae and the Vigiles Urbani. The Praetorian's had become unmanageable in recent years, the murder of Pertinax the most glaring example. Severus on taking power had disbanded the guard of Commodus and banished them from Rome on pain of death. He had replaced them with loyal men drawn from his Pannonian legions along with kin from Africa and Syria. The Urbanae and Vigiles had undergone a similar change under Severus. Most of the Praetorians of Severus had followed their emperor to the east and were either killed fighting at Nicaea or now serving with Niger. The remainder, along with the units in Rome, had supported Plautianus and their leadership fled with him to Africa. Thus Albinus would have to rebuild things from the ground up. The Urbanae and Vigiles were put firmly under the power of the Senate and a small Praetorian guard was established from British legionaries loyal to Albinus. His goal was to give the guard less power and increase that of the Senate.

While at work on setting the foundations for his reforms Africa broke out in a state of rebellion. Plautianus had fallen back to his home provinces and gathered a large amount of support. In similarity to the way Albinus won over Gallic aristocrats, Plautianus focused on local matters to win over the populace and formed an alliance with the Garamante tribes of the area. He even managed to gain the backing of the powerful Legio tertia Augusta, the one legion station in Africa. This rebellion would need to be stamped out if Albinus was to maintain his legitimacy as emperor. To deal with the matter he selected Titus Titianus, uncle of the younger Pertinax, to take an army to stamp out the insurrection.

450px-Septimius_Severus%27_African_conquests1.jpg

Last edited: