The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

Also, it looks like the crew are destroying all of the Swastikas used in the making of the show, in order to prevent them from falling into the hands of Neo-Nazis.

So I was just bringing season 2 and I said "hold up"
53a9a27.jpg

Is that Goebbels to the right wearing the yellowish uniform?

Last edited:
Also, I believe I mentioned this earlier. But a poster in episode 1 of season 2 shows the Reich landed on the moon in 1959.

Also, it looks like the crew are destroying all of the Swastikas used in the making of the show, in order to prevent them from falling into the hands of Neo-Nazis.

That’s ridiculous. A lot of those props are really high quality and have artistic value in and of themselves.

That’s ridiculous. A lot of those props are really high quality and have artistic value in and of themselves.
I'm no Neo Nazi, but I would've been willing to buy some of those props myself. But of course, politics seem to matter more than anything these days.

I'm no Neo Nazi, but I would've been willing to buy some of those props myself. But of course, politics seem to matter more than anything these days.
I think it was more that the cast was freaked out by how normalized they were to the Nazi imagery. Rufus Sewel said in an interview that it shocked him how after continuous exposure to the symbol, it became just another piece of the set (a lot of the cast was basically desensitized to things like the Swastika). The set pieces were nice, but I can understand where they're coming from.

Not likely or feasible, I think, but it's a such a common alt-history move that I just shrug it off at this point.
Well the Germans did invent jet aircrafts before the allied powers did. Assuming they won in they won like they did in the show, they would have more than enough resources to pursue scientific development. Though its discrimination towards Jews and the rejection of Jewish scientists stunted Germany in key areas. This would lead to a whole host of problems. The Nazi invasion of America and Britain, and the direct annexation of Italy and France is also a ridiculous and well beyond plausibility. Also the Nazi administration and scientists being hyper-competent also ridiculous as Hitler's government was chaotic and corrupt. Hitler relied on keeping his subordinates squabbling with each other so they didn't turn on him.

Well the Germans did invent jet aircrafts before the allied powers did. Assuming they won in they won like they did in the show, they would have more than enough resources to pursue scientific development. Though its discrimination towards Jews and the rejection of Jewish scientists stunted Germany in key areas. This would lead to a whole host of problems. The Nazi invasion of America and Britain, and the direct annexation of Italy and France is also a ridiculous and well beyond plausibility. Also the Nazi administration and scientists being hyper-competent also ridiculous as Hitler's government was chaotic and corrupt. Hitler relied on keeping his subordinates squabbling with each other so they didn't turn on him.

It's not that I don't think a victorious Nazi government couldn't do it, eventually; it's just that the 1959 date seems extraordinarily unlikely, maybe even impossible.

They had a strong lead in ballistic missile technology, no question; where they were behind was in electronics.

But beyond that would be political obstacles. Hitler would have higher "big project" priorities than a notional Moon landing program, assuming von Braun actually got enough access to even ask for one - rebuilding Berlin, rebuilding Linz and Nuremburg, the autobahns, all the projects in the new lands to the East, rounding out Plan Z, and simply the expense of administering and exploiting all the new territories won in the war. Moreover, there wouldn't be anyone in this timeline to "race" - the Americans and Brits are conquered, the Russians are reduced to a Siberian rump, and the Japanese simply aren't going to be a rival in this regard. (I won't even touch on the Atlantropa project that gets fleetingly mentioned.)

Von Braun could probably sell earth orbiting satellites, though...

Well. The Nazis would benefit from adding the US and British industrial and scientific capabilities to their own. That includes a boost in electronics.

But then again, I always assume that Hitler knew getting to the moon was possible via the films and so he pushed hard to make it happen.

To be sure: a megalomaniac impulsive enough and romantic enough to commission a domed monument to his rule so enormous that it generates its own weather patterns inside is capable of almost anything. So nothing is *impossible* here.

I think the date is highly improbable, but I can hardly invest much energy contesting it when it's a tiny background point in a series.

After rewatching some more episodes, I am struck here more and more by the role of the US military establishment. It really does seem like that with the destruction of Washington, combined with a lingering distrust of the civilian leadership from both the conduct of the war with Japan and the long deep depression, the US military doesn’t believe that the US can win, certainly not with the nation’s leadership. Instead, it seems like the military quickly capitulated and most of the leadership cut a deal to be part of the leadership of the American Reich in return for supporting and carrying out Nazi policies in America. And with the military on side, the prospect for any revolt or resistance was doomed.

As we think about how a newly independent American Reich might react to the death of Smith, I wonder how much of the military are now Nazi true believers. More so, I wonder whether the nation as a whole trusts and supports the military, given that they could be seen as the first collaborators.

More so, I wonder whether the nation as a whole trusts and supports the military, given that they could be seen as the first collaborators.

Of course, a lot of the most likely opposition was long ago reduced to air pollution...

The black communist revolt on the West Coast exists in large part because, apparently, many fled there to escape their likely fate under Nazi rule further east - and those were, of course, the sorts of people most likely to resist.

The American reich probably evolves over time into something like a softer authoritarian regime, and that surely includes the army.

This is admittedly pretty minor but I was kinda disappointed that the railroad battle they put in all the trailers wound up being a brief unimportant set piece they got out of the way in the first episode.

This is admittedly pretty minor but I was kinda disappointed that the railroad battle they put in all the trailers wound up being a brief unimportant set piece they got out of the way in the first episode.

Hey man, the budget only goes so far. :)