The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

Faeelin

Banned
But I expect that the Nazis and their American proxies would probably have to kill off quite a lot of the African-American population to restore them to slavery in the 1940's anyway.

Oh man, killing a ton of people! What a problem for the Nazis :(

Oh man, killing a ton of people! What a problem for the Nazis :(

Surely not.

But I guess the point is they're less likely to go along with being quietly herded into death camps or Einsatzgruppen vans. They'd likely have had to hunt many of them down the hard way.

A_H_nikky

Banned
Surely not.

But I guess the point is they're less likely to go along with being quietly herded into death camps or Einsatzgruppen vans. They'd likely have had to hunt many of them down the hard way.
But they would have had lots of local white co-operation-especially in the South so it may not have been that hard. Another likely horrendous detail of this world.

Their is something I'm curious about, Smith's aide Erich Raeder, is he anyway related to the German admiral of the same name, or is just a fluke?

Their is something I'm curious about, Smith's aide Erich Raeder, is he anyway related to the German admiral of the same name, or is just a fluke?
I believe it is a joke on the fact that Erich is a loyal Nazi while the OTL Raeder was....not.

But I could see that popping up in the future.

Deleted member 83898

I want to see what Smith's counterpart is up to in the alternate 1962. Probably working in a similar capacity as his prime TL version, perhaps in the CIA or FBI?
I bet he died at Guadalcanal.

Surely not.

OTL, I heart that in 1940 few days after Germans took Paris, a group of SS storm in to the house of a famous young (black) singer to arrested, she resisted and the SS throw her from balcony of her apartment in to the street and died.

OTL, I heart that in 1940 few days after Germans took Paris, a group of SS storm in to the house of a famous young (black) singer to arrested, she resisted and the SS throw her from balcony of her apartment in to the street and died.

Go down fighting.

Enjoyable although it has issues.

I wonder if Germany somehow was aided by information from otl..ie that nukes.worked and.thus Hitler poured resources into it

Enjoyable although it has issues.

I wonder if Germany somehow was aided by information from otl..ie that nukes.worked and.thus Hitler poured resources into it
I have wondered that too. It would help explain the quick victories of Germany.

I'm finding the actions of the American adults fascinating (and frightening at the same time). They've gone from Americans with all that entails (American ideals, beliefs, laws) to good Nazis. And they're not just giving lip service to the Nazi beliefs -- they seem to truly believe what they're saying, doing, and living under. I'd like to see more of how that was accomplished after "VA Day". A mirror to the Allies' "De-Nazification" of Germany?

Propaganda against Germany didn't have the racism of that against Japan, anti-Semitism and eugenics were already popular(it was the Nazi's losing that gave them a bad name), it's been mention a good number of Americans have German and other approved roots.

A_H_nikky

Banned
I think a certain-maybe major- aspect of it was that there was the example of what happened to the (white )Americans that fell under Japan's control. Depending on how harshly they were treated by the Japanese and how much they lorded it over them many of those in the Nazi territory may have felt they got the better end of the deal. However despite all the racism and anti Semitism and support for eugenics that was in the US at the time for most Americans to support the killing of millions of their neighbors it hopefully mainly happened based on a much more primal consideration-i.e. fear of death and the desire to live. The Americans (and Germans and British and French etc etc)of this world have much more blood on their hands that their OTL counterparts. It is something the show could address a lot more in the future-how do they sleep at night ?

Last edited:
I think a certain-maybe major- aspect of it was that there was the example of what happened to the (white )Americans that fell under Japan's control. Depending on how harshly they were treated by the Japanese and how much they lorded it over them many of those in the Nazi territory my have felt they got the better end of the deal. However despite all the racism and anti Semitism and support for eugenics that was in the US at the time for most Americans to support the killing of millions of their neighbors it hopefully mainly happened based on a much more primal consideration-i.e. fear of death and the desire to live. The Americans (and Germans and British and French etc etc)of this world have much more blood on their hands that their OTL counterparts. It is something the show could address a lot more in the future-how do they sleep at night ?

I think that the interplay between Wegener and Smith gets to the heart of that question. It's clear that Smith's faith in the Nazi system is being shaken, and I suspect the twist they're going for is that Smith is eventually the one to lead America's resistance from Berlin. A "revolution from the top," not unlike the OTL Soviet Union, would be the least bloody option available.

According to this video Frank didn't die in the explosion but transferred into another universe. Either to our universe or in a universe (novel) that there is a cold war between US and British Empire (authoritarian) or in a universe that USSR rules the world.

Personalty i prefer the soviet scenario see my thread https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-man-in-the-high-castle-soviet.388812/
Well, that video is really all speculation. We should know in the fall. Look for casting news on IMDB and other sites. They may not include character names, but perhaps we can speculate with more accuracy?

I wouldn't trust IMDB unless it is a news article.

The actual page on a TV Showmovie is as trustworthy as wikipedia.

According to this video Frank didn't die in the explosion but transferred into another universe. Either to our universe or in a universe (novel) that there is a cold war between US and British Empire (authoritarian) or in a universe that USSR rules the world.

Personalty i prefer the soviet scenario see my thread https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-man-in-the-high-castle-soviet.388812/

The only possible hint at a Soviet world is Joe's reel being a Soviet propaganda film with Stalin alive in 1954.

Also, point of order: it's quite clear that the world Tagomi visits is not the novel's The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. It's obviously OTL or a close facsimile of it, since it has JFK, Khrushchev and the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I do find it interesting that the one field OTL is expressly ahead in is atomic weapons. The Germans clearly have nothing compared to the hydrogen bomb by their 1962, although we can assume their delivery systems are superior to OTL's given their civilian rocket planes.

If anyone is interested, I think I found out which test was shown in the film at the end season two. It was operation castle in March of 1954. From what I read the magnitude is the same as what John Smith described.