The Man from Sao Paulo - Senna to Williams in 1992

I am all subscribed in this..Keep Tony George FAR AWAY from this hopeful future for IndyCar..

Keep this coming :)

About time you showed up in this thread, mate. ;) As far as Tony George goes, I'm having visions of him, now that his mom and sister have started sorting things out, of him being like a Frank Williams-style team owner, particularly if he doesn't end up walking again. Am I guessing that Tony's team is gonna be called Vision Racing or some form of that name?

I've been reading this thread while writing on the four I've got going..

And congratulations to Ontario's F1 team in their recent win in the Catherverse Grand Prix of Monaco. Hinch ended up 8th Sunday at Montreal...as the tour heads to Mosport next weekend...

About time you showed up in this thread, mate. ;) As far as Tony George goes, I'm having visions of him, now that his mom and sister have started sorting things out, of him being like a Frank Williams-style team owner, particularly if he doesn't end up walking again. Am I guessing that Tony's team is gonna be called Vision Racing or some form of that name?

Tony George will make a full recovery, and yes, he will on Vision Racing ITTL.

His family will keep him at arms length from managing IMS's stance towards CART, however they're not going to roll over and die.

The near-term future of TTL's IndyCar will be rosy, but as noted earlier, collusion and anti-trust issues will keep things from being perfect.

Tony George will make a full recovery, and yes, he will on Vision Racing ITTL.

His family will keep him at arms length from managing IMS's stance towards CART, however they're not going to roll over and die.

Ah, OK. I was wondering if you have him be stuck in a wheelchair as Frank Williams has been since his 1986 accident and still have him run the team regardless. I'm always looking out for potential marketing opportunities, you see. :)

The near-term future of TTL's IndyCar will be rosy, but as noted earlier, collusion and anti-trust issues will keep things from being perfect.

I don't know how serious the collusion / anti-trust issues will be. Remember that NASCAR's level of vertical integration is a lot more than CART will ever be, and while lawsuits could come from the team owners buying into tracks as you pointed out, I don't think you have too much to worry about there.

One other question: When you said that Rahal didn't want another star to get away to NASCAR, am I correct in assuming that a bunch of OTL's best USAC racers will get to Indycars?

If so, if I may suggest, deal with Robbie Stanley early on. Stanley was a three-time USAC Sprint Car Champion who was well on his way to a fourth when an accident in Indiana in May 1994 ended his life. As he had three-straight USAC Sprint Car championships, he'd be an honest early and obvious pick for Vision Racing. Stanley as an Indycar driver in 1994 would probably allow him to have a long, fruitful career. Combine him and Tony Stewart a couple years later and you have a genuinely-awesome all-Hoosier team for Tony George to race with. After him and Stewart, a bunch of OTL's NASCAR aces came from grounds where they could end up in Indycars - Ryan Newman, Casey Mears (Casey even raced in CART at one point), the Busch brothers and Greg Biffle are all possibilities here.

Due to issues changing my separation from the USAF to re-enlistment, and a real-world mechanical DNF, (my car's transmission cooling line cracked,) I'm only about halfway done the next update.

If you all want an abbreviated update, I can swing that ASAP, otherwise it'll probably be another few days. So far I've ironed out Tony George's reaction to the Rahal Proposal, and found him some help from an ally. The second (uncompleted) section will cover Penske's next move and the Andretti trip to Grove.

After that, I'm not diddling around with this offseason anymore, it's long past time to get the grid lined up at Kyalami.

Done earlier than expected

Waller, Texas – 03 February 1993

A.J. Foyt had seen the fax and mulled it over the night before, deciding to sleep on the thoughts and consider what would drastically impact his team’s fortunes over the coming years. Foyt knew his driving career was at an end and had signed Robby Gordon in the fall of last year. Gordon impressed him with two points-scoring results out of his three finishes. His eyes kept drifting back towards the fax printout, though, and he realized that the Rahal Proposal was a good enough skeleton to get approved with a few minor horses traded. As a one-car outfit, A.J. Foyt Enterprises would benefit from expansion should he find the sponsorship, and he thought long and hard who he should find to fill the seat. This late in the offseason, he knew that he didn’t have much time, and the talent pool was running dry, but if he could find the money, he could make something work. The key would be to find someone to balance Gordon, and at this stage, his best chance was the oddly enough unsigned Scott Pruett. At 32 years old, Pruett’s maturity, and extra few years of experience would help the still-rookie Gordon.

Foyt’s perusal of the draft constitution had him looking towards the purchase of a stake in a track as well, but Rahal’s brainchild would be throwing everyone into the mix. Had Texas World Speedway been in good enough condition to host a race immediately, that track would be the obvious choice just fifty miles away from his base in the outskirts of Houston. It could be hard to become competitive again if the bigger teams could afford to get in the circuit ownership pie, and he wasn’t going to deny that the one source of favors he could call in would be wary to bargain away his chips. Still, he made the call – to Tony George.

Speedway, Indiana – 03 February 1993

Tony George had spent the last two weeks spitting rivets, furious at how his mother and sisters so neatly outflanked him on the negotiations with CART. To magnify his outrage, the alignment of a Rahal-Ueberroth-Andretti-Coyne axis was starting to attract attention through the rest of the teams, and had earned the grudging respect of his own mother. The solution she had proposed, “If you can’t beat them, join them,” seemed to apply a measure of sarcasm for one of his own ideas, the formation of his own team. Mari had injected the caveat of not going too deep, too soon, though, and he was stuck knowing that it would be hard to work with most of the team owners, admitting to himself that the landscape was possibly self-limiting. When he picked up the phone, however, it was Foyt proposing an expansion of his own outfit. Pieces immediately started to click together, and it was the first four-time winner at Indianapolis, fiery temper and all, to calm him down and see a way to keep a large seat at the IndyCar table. Tony had no quarrel with bringing in a balanced, consistent contender like Pruett, in exchange for him being able to recruit local dirt track hero Robbie Stanley to run several of the races, if not the majority of the calendar. With that agreement struck, the two of them started to hash out their concerns about the long-term future of the sport.

Neither George nor Foyt were fond of the direction Rahal’s proposal could go if left entirely in the hands of the Penske-Hall-Patrick faction, however they thought they had a way to mitigate it. George and Foyt would suggest a counteroffer, incorporating a split of control to the feeder series, so they could incorporate some of the USAC Sprint and Midget infrastructure into the IndyCar ladder. The hard core of the CART faction would be given free reign to the Indy Lights and Toyota Atlantic series, and there would be a united front regarding an Indy-friendly Karting organization, which young drivers could step towards either the Atlantics, or the Midgets. If push came to shove, he’d ease USAC out the door and relinquish primary control over the Midget and Sprint series in exchange for more control in the other half of the junior tier, but he’d bide his time and wait for the reaction of the other factions.

USAC owed him, and owed his family, for the spirited defense he and his father played over the years. As much as it pained him to admit it, Rahal had outflanked him neatly enough with the encouragement to start a team, and use the USAC engine rules for 1994. He decided to throw his hat in the ring if the kinks could be ironed out, if not, he’d need to see if he could wrest back control of the family business. In either case, it was obvious, George and Foyt both had drivers to hire and equipment to order.

It may take them until Indianapolis, but they would be ready to go.

Grove, England – 06 February 1993

Michael and Mario Andretti cleared customs out of Heathrow and took the van chartered by Williams F1 to Grove travel-weary but each with minds racing from the conversation they had nearly uninterrupted on their flight across the Atlantic. Mario had been in contact with the various factions of the CART-IMS debate since the meeting in Speedway the previous month, and the skeleton of the Rahal Proposal only drew grudging praise from all sides. That Tony George picked his ground well, going after expansion of the junior series had only alarmed the CART faction, with all of them looking over their shoulder wondering whose hand held the knife at their backs. Mario had advised calm, and thought his counteroffer was indeed worthy of consideration, particularly his willingness to cede some influence on the Indy Lights and Toyota Atlantic programs to drag part of the USAC infrastructure, kicking-and-screaming if need be, to the hands of a unified IndyCar management. Michael had chimed in that perhaps they should form their own team, and persuade the Mattoli family to sell a stake in Pocono, as Roger Penske was liable to deny any sale to a talented rival. All told, Mario had wanted to sleep, but held off until he could find his way to the hotel bed.

Michael Andretti was less weary but more apprehensive, knowing that he would be distracted through the entire weekend, wondering what the next couple of years would personally have in store for him. Partially, he was relieved to be getting away from IndyCar for the 1994 season, as he was sure that the next several months would pull him in several directions. The other part was sure he would arrive in England again, wistfully looking towards the chance of being in at the birth of something wonderful.

Perhaps, even probably, both feelings would compete throughout the following year, but he was also excited to try his hand at the most sophisticated, utterly dominating race car ever constructed. He had been in contact with Ayrton Senna and Riccardo Patrese over the last few weeks, and was thrilled at the thought of what was yet to come. Michael would have his shot at both the FW-15C, and the Williams FW-15/16 mule that had been cobbled together with concepts Newey and Head had pieced together from Senna’s warnings and the regulations revealed just six weeks prior. It had only been driven a couple of days over the past week, with the garage team working late nights reconfiguring a spare FW-15 chassis to the upcoming regulations. He was sure it wouldn’t be pretty, but he knew he’d be crossing The Pond fairly often, knowing he would only be helping himself in the long run.

Reading, Pennsylvania – 06 February 1993

Roger Penske spent the week kicking over the Rahal Proposal and the reaction of the George-Foyt faction, knowing that he would be in a financially sound position should he support Rahal in full. He read the section on Tier 1 teams several times by now, and grew more and more confident that with his three-car team and two tracks, he could only grow over the coming few seasons. Despite that, George’s counteroffer worried him, it seemed too good to be true. Penske had word from Mari Hulman-George that she favored Rahal’s ideas – and Tony’s Midget/Sprint proposed incorporation, but she’d kept mum on her son’s motives. For the time being, he knew he held the high ground by playing along, but with Nazareth’s small capacity, it would only be a matter of time before the track was pushed out from the other owners looking for increased ticket sales. If he was going to build, he was going to BUILD.

With that thought in mind, it occurred to him that he not only had an opportunity to double-dip as a Tier 1 owner, but he had a chance to quadruple-dip due to MIS being a NASCAR venue. If he could sweeten that pot, his footing would be secure as the rising NASCAR and a possibly revitalized CART dueled for fan support. Knowing how the France family had even tighter control over NASCAR than George thought he did over IndyCar, Penske’s options were limited if he wanted to significantly expand his track holdings. Looking back and forth between his rolodex and his map of facilities in the US, he placed a call to one Bruton Smith. If he wouldn’t be interested in pooling the resources of their several tracks, perhaps he’d be willing to take a trip to College Station with him, and go in with him on a fixer-upper of a superspeedway on the cheap…

Grove, England – 08 February 1993

Ayrton Senna finally was face-to-face with his future teammate, and was curious to get to know the man. He’d been paired with a variety of personalities over the years, and the idea that Andretti had been willing to get his gloves wet this early on with the mule did a lot to reassure him. Senna asked him about the rumors of fractiousness in the IndyCar world, and had been directed to Lotus’ last WDC, his father Mario, who was over at the other corner of the garage catching up with Patrese, the two having raced against each other for a few years. Senna walked on over and spoke with Mario, having met him on occasion through the years as part of the informal Champions fraternity. They got on well, and here Ayrton hoped to pick his brain once again, to prepare himself for a possible jump to IndyCar a few years down the line.

Silverstone, England – 08 February 1993

Two hours later, David Coulthard had continued where Senna left off after the mule was done the preparations for Andretti’s test. The young Williams test driver still doing double duty between his F1 and F3000 commitments, and was getting ready to leave to test this season’s F3000 himself. He and Patrese had spent the most time in the FW-16 mule, with Patrick Head having to chase Senna away and into the -15C so he didn’t distract himself just five weeks away from the opening round of the 1993 season. Coulthard was glad to have a man like Senna sharing in the development of the car, but found himself to be jealous of the man before him, who was getting strapped into the mule as he spoke. David may not have a chance on the -16, and hoped that Williams would still look to him should Senna leave at the end of his contract, as he’d been told privately that he was considering. Having explained the personality of the mule, its quirks, and the different controls of an F1 car as the younger Andretti strapped on his silver and red helmet, he left the most important warning for last: “Michael, remember: this is only halfway between this year’s car and where the design team wants to take next year’s. Push it hard, but respect its limits. The thing will step out on you if you’re not careful.”

Patrick Head and Adrian Newey shared a knowing glance as Andretti began his first out lap in the mule. They were both concerned the American would go too deep through Bridge and Priory after Nigel’s epic pass the previous summer and wreck the car. Andretti kept quiet on the radio as he made his way around the course. The air was cold, and grip would be shaky at best for his first several laps. They gave him about ten laps of fuel, to let him find his way around before really digging deep. A minute later, they started to hear the 15/16’s roar growing louder, and shortly after from the pit wall they saw him flash by, the clock running for his first timed lap.

Michael Andretti remembered what Coulthard had told him before the engine was fired, and was doubly careful with the cold tires and the cold air. He’d worked his way through the Maggots-Becketts complex gingerly, probably 2500rpms slower than he could have, and opened up the throttle for the Hangar Straight. The speed was familiar, it reminded him of coming down through Morraine Sweep at Elkhart Lake, and he enjoyed every second of it. The wind noise was odd to him, until he remembered the grotesquely large sidepods to account for the loss of the airbox. So far, the engine wasn’t showing the lack, and by the time he was back at the line to start his second lap, he became more confident. It was more like an IndyCar than he thought, with the decreased grip levels and the lack of aids. He could do this.

Ayrton Senna, Mario Andretti, and Riccardo Patrese all watched at the pit wall reading the telemetry coming in from the 15/16. Andretti was making great time considering his unfamiliarity, about three seconds off Senna’s test session laps on cold tires. As he found his rhythm, the gap started to shrink relative to Senna’s once he had got heat into the rubber, but not nearly enough to be a threat straight out of the gate. Over the radio, they could hear Michael talking about the low downforce setup being similar to an IndyCar, with a slightly higher power-to-weight ratio. Senna turned to Mario and remarked, “After the first draft of the design, I had told Adrian that it wouldn’t be too far off an IndyCar with all the winglets along the fins. Do you think it handles that similarly?”

“Apparently Michael thinks so, Frank hasn’t let me in the car yet, you know,” Mario replied.

“It’s a pig to drive, though. They set it up to be a little loose so he wouldn’t go straight off at Copse, Stowe, and Bridge,” Riccardo interjected. “David had that problem, that’s the lowest downforce you’ve driven in a couple years, isn’t it?”

“My first flying lap I took it in too far and got about halfway to the wall before I got it turned,” Coulthard admitted. “Here he comes again.”

The four of them watched Michael blast past, his tires at maximum grip, with confidence climbing as he started his fifth lap on the hard compound. His delta to Senna’s pace on his fourth lap dropped yet again, and they all muttered in agreement that Andretti might just have what it takes to help Williams get another Constructors’ championship in a year. Inwardly, Senna knew Andretti’s unfamiliarity would be enough to forestall an inter-team rivalry, and allowed Senna the luxury for the first time since 1991 to have the team built around him.

Grove, England – 08 February 1993

That evening back at headquarters, Frank Williams sat in front of the Andrettis after a quick word with Patrick and the other drivers. Nigel Mansell had arrived while the lot was at Silverstone, and had remained, slightly annoyed that they couldn’t bring the -15 for him to test while they vetted his replacement.

“Mansell still hasn’t grown up, has he? I remember him back at Lotus in 1980, and he just wouldn’t keep his temper and ego in check. I take it nothing’s changed?” Mario asked.

“He’s an interesting character to say the least. Still, it’s his fairwell season here in F1, and then he’s off to your IndyCars,” Frank replied.

He got to business rather quickly thereafter, reviewing the data set the younger Andretti managed to compile over his test session. Towards the end of his run, he was very quick, enough that had the car been put in race trim, he might be able to get it into the points. Yes, as they discussed into the evening, all were happy with how things could go. Michael would fly over for the San Marino, Japanese, and Australian Grands Prix, and spend time at headquarters in the buildup and recovery to those weekends. Michael was committed to making his transition work, as long as he had access to the facility and was enabled to be as ready as possible. Things were indeed looking up for 1994.

Speedway, Indiana – 08 February 1993

Mari Hulman-George again looked over the counterproposals from her son and Roger Penske, and smiled. Roger Penske already signaled that he wasn’t going to fight the centrist faction over small details and was willing to work within the framework of the Rahal Proposal and Tony’s addendum. USAC already signaled that they would be willing to deal as long as IMS helped fund the series they’d have remaining through a hefty lump sum. It’d be one hell of a sweetener, and was pretty much an opportunistic gouge, but she was willing to pay to keep the peace. She was determined not to screw her daughters out of their inheritance. Tony, on the other hand, will have to learn how to keep his ego in check, and how to live on a leash. Mari thought.

interesting update I'm hoping Michael has a better year in 94 than he did in OTL and realises quickly that going back and forth from the States doesn't work and he leaves his wife at the time there as she was hated more than Max Mosley at a purity meeting. More info can be found here http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/andretti/

ITTL, his conversation with Piquet in 1992 sobered him up to necessity, and further talks with the Williams drivers illustrated quite plainly that he'd have to relocate. Also, due to the Honda bombshell happening earlier, and an earlier Senna departure, Dennis doesn't have the chance to recruit Andretti. He's too busy looking for known drivers willing to work with a better-than-OTL electronics packge for '93.

His wife, OTOH, will get acquainted with the differences in time for the '94 season.

ITTL, Michael won't be such an embarrassment.

interesting update I'm hoping Michael has a better year in 94 than he did in OTL and realises quickly that going back and forth from the States doesn't work and he leaves his wife at the time there as she was hated more than Max Mosley at a purity meeting. More info can be found here http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/andretti/

thank goodness for that although to be fair I don't think you could have made it much worse than otl :D

Andretti will be overshadowed by Senna in a car designed around his driving style. Senna's psychological whiplash being confronted with the -14B ITTL was the catalyst for him to push Newey and Head to plan for a drastic change in the rules. Williams ITTL will be a juggernaut through the mid 90's. However, my plans for the '96 and '97 seasons will level the playing field.

Once I get my own car sorted, (and break in the Kindle I purchased mainly to read this site on smoke breaks and in bed - phone just makes text too small,) I'll be starting up the '93 season. Those who've read this through to this point ought to see the writing on the wall for the F1 season. It'll be IndyCar that really throws a few surprises.

The Indycar idea is quite a curveball. The best short trackers could easily handle Indycars, but by 1993 anybody trying to go directly from sprint cars or even supermodifieds to Indycars would have a massive shock waiting for him in driving styles. Some could undoubtedly do it, of course, but even when I wrote He Came From Indianapolis I assumed that it took a season or two for many of the best short trackers like Robbie Stanley and Kenny Irwin Jr and oval specialists like Scott Brayton and Arie Lyeundyk to get the hang of road racing. (They have the talent to do it, but not the experience.)

I should also probably point out that the time period in question in Indycars has some changes for team owners:
- PacWest began in 1993 and got both more ambitious and successful over time, with wins for Mauricio Gugelmin and Mark Blundell in 1997. Bruce McCaw was a very enthusiastic owner right from the start, and the agreements here will see him get that ambition going really early.
- King Racing (Kenny Bernstein's operation) won a race in 1994 thanks to Scott Goodyear but bailed at the end of 1994. Considering they were on the verge of success at the time and had big sponsorship money (thanks Budweiser), you could keep them around.
- Rick Galles' team was big-time at the time but fell apart in the years to come after 1992. Galles will be REALLY pissed with Penske poaching Little Al from him, so Galles could be convinced to stay in the sport and go far with it.
- Truesports could be kept in the sport easily enough. The team was never the same after Jim Trueman passed, but his family owned a lot of racing properties after that and you could keep Truesports going if Trueman's family believed in it. (Truesports was almost running with Ferrari, and their good chassis never had the best engines after that as a result.) Make them believe in it, and have Steve Horne stay running it, and you have a team that could be around for a long, long time. [1]
- The Bayside Disposal and Dyson Racing teams were two of the best in IMSA in the 1980s with their Porsche 962s and both tried Indycars, but never got far. Here, especially with the possibility of considerable money if they can run full-time and the fact that by 1993 IMSA was a mess, you could get both Bruce Leven and Rob Dyson involved in the Indycar world to a major degree. (Bonus: if anybody involved in racing could get a track built in the Pacific Northwest for Indycars, Leven would be that guy.)
- Hayhoe Racing, which would have Jimmy Vasser driving for them (fairly successfully) in 1993 and 1994, could easily be kept in the game after 1994. Sponsorship is not a problem here, and if a full-season Indycar owner in 1994 or 1995 gets a chunk of the profits, Jim Hayhoe may well still be there, and might have a couple wins to go with it.
- Gerry Forsythe came back after years of absence in 1994, teamed with Barry Green (though that relationship didn't last long). Forsythe is extremely wealthy and owns a billion-dollar electrical generation company which sponsored his cars, so money is no issue here and he got into track ownership in the CART era IOTL. This scenario will see him want to get involved with that early on.
- Pagan Racing bought King Racing's assets, but these two bothers may well still get into the mix without having such an opportunity. Might be a place for these guys in the 1990s.
- Comptech entered Indycars with Honda in 1994, and your idea of having independent engine builders these guys will absolutely love. I'm having the idea of Honda have these guys build their engines, fielding a team to run in the series to get the money from that and when Honda goes back to F1 have these guys hook up with that effort. These guys were dominant players in IMSA in the 1990s, they are up to it, and Parker Johnstone has the talent and ability for this to work.

Assuming all of these guys remain or are involved, and you have the others you mentioned before involved, your 1994 teams involved could well be:

- Team Penske (2 cars)
- Target Chip Ganassi Racing (2 cars)
- Rahal-Hogan Racing (2 cars)
- Dick Simon Racing (2 cars, plus Indy 500 one-offs)
- Newman/Haas Racing (2 cars)
- Galles Racing (2 cars) [1]
- Patrick Racing (1 car)
- Payton / Coyne Racing (2 cars) [2]
- Truesports (1 car)
- Vision Racing (2 cars)
- Walker Racing (2 cars) [3]
- A.J. Foyt Enterprises (2 cars)
- Chaparral Racing Team (2 cars) [4]
- PacWest Racing (2 cars)
- Forsythe / Green Racing (1 car)
- King Racing (1 car, plus 2nd at some races)
- Hayhoe Racing (1 car)
- Arciero Racing (1 car)
- Team Menard (2 cars, plus Indy 500 one-offs)
- Dyson Racing (1 car)
- Bayside Disposal Team (1 car)
- Comptech Racing (1 car)
- Pagan Racing (2 cars)

This is 37 regular full-season entries, which is a lot but surprisingly plausible. Sponsorship for Indycar in 1993-94 was not all that hard to get if you had a good deal, and it showed in the sponsors of the time. Combine that with the revenue-sharing deals and you make that case even easier. Do with this what you will, but I'm hoping this is idea kicking for you. My research for He Came From Indianapolis found a lot of this, and had me asking what if a lot. You've got my brain going again. :) I'd guess at drivers but this year will be where Mansell shows up, and you've hinted at changes at Penske and Ganassi, and Michael in F1 changes Newman-Haas, too. Too much to even guess at.

[1] Galles only had one full-season car in 1994 (for Adrian Fernandez), but with this I'm guessing that he could do more.

[2] A great many people will love you if you can have Walter Payton's illness be found much earlier than OTL. Payton's money and Coyne's experience could make that pairing a huge deal, and Payton was very enthusiastic about car racing, to the point of being a driver himself in IMSA and Trans-Am in 1993. Payton's cholangitis can be cured with a transplant - you will make many people love you if you can fix that.

[3] Walker had three full-time cars in 1994 (Robby Gordon, Mark Smith and Willy T. Ribbs), but I'm keeping him to two here for plausibility reasons.

[4] This is Jim Hall's team, just using the legendary name again.

The Indycar idea is quite a curveball. The best short trackers could easily handle Indycars, but by 1993 anybody trying to go directly from sprint cars or even supermodifieds to Indycars would have a massive shock waiting for him in driving styles. Some could undoubtedly do it, of course, but even when I wrote He Came From Indianapolis I assumed that it took a season or two for many of the best short trackers like Robbie Stanley and Kenny Irwin Jr and oval specialists like Scott Brayton and Arie Lyeundyk to get the hang of road racing. (They have the talent to do it, but not the experience.)

I should also probably point out that the time period in question in Indycars has some changes for team owners:
- PacWest began in 1993 and got both more ambitious and successful over time, with wins for Mauricio Gugelmin and Mark Blundell in 1997. Bruce McCaw was a very enthusiastic owner right from the start, and the agreements here will see him get that ambition going really early.
- King Racing (Kenny Bernstein's operation) won a race in 1994 thanks to Scott Goodyear but bailed at the end of 1994. Considering they were on the verge of success at the time and had big sponsorship money (thanks Budweiser), you could keep them around.
- Rick Galles' team was big-time at the time but fell apart in the years to come after 1992. Galles will be REALLY pissed with Penske poaching Little Al from him, so Galles could be convinced to stay in the sport and go far with it.
- Truesports could be kept in the sport easily enough. The team was never the same after Jim Trueman passed, but his family owned a lot of racing properties after that and you could keep Truesports going if Trueman's family believed in it. (Truesports was almost running with Ferrari, and their good chassis never had the best engines after that as a result.) Make them believe in it, and have Steve Horne stay running it, and you have a team that could be around for a long, long time. [1]
- The Bayside Disposal and Dyson Racing teams were two of the best in IMSA in the 1980s with their Porsche 962s and both tried Indycars, but never got far. Here, especially with the possibility of considerable money if they can run full-time and the fact that by 1993 IMSA was a mess, you could get both Bruce Leven and Rob Dyson involved in the Indycar world to a major degree. (Bonus: if anybody involved in racing could get a track built in the Pacific Northwest for Indycars, Leven would be that guy.)
- Hayhoe Racing, which would have Jimmy Vasser driving for them (fairly successfully) in 1993 and 1994, could easily be kept in the game after 1994. Sponsorship is not a problem here, and if a full-season Indycar owner in 1994 or 1995 gets a chunk of the profits, Jim Hayhoe may well still be there, and might have a couple wins to go with it.
- Gerry Forsythe came back after years of absence in 1994, teamed with Barry Green (though that relationship didn't last long). Forsythe is extremely wealthy and owns a billion-dollar electrical generation company which sponsored his cars, so money is no issue here and he got into track ownership in the CART era IOTL. This scenario will see him want to get involved with that early on.
- Pagan Racing bought King Racing's assets, but these two bothers may well still get into the mix without having such an opportunity. Might be a place for these guys in the 1990s.
- Comptech entered Indycars with Honda in 1994, and your idea of having independent engine builders these guys will absolutely love. I'm having the idea of Honda have these guys build their engines, fielding a team to run in the series to get the money from that and when Honda goes back to F1 have these guys hook up with that effort. These guys were dominant players in IMSA in the 1990s, they are up to it, and Parker Johnstone has the talent and ability for this to work.

Assuming all of these guys remain or are involved, and you have the others you mentioned before involved, your 1994 teams involved could well be:

- Team Penske (2 cars)
- Target Chip Ganassi Racing (2 cars)
- Rahal-Hogan Racing (2 cars)
- Dick Simon Racing (2 cars, plus Indy 500 one-offs)
- Newman/Haas Racing (2 cars)
- Galles Racing (2 cars) [1]
- Patrick Racing (1 car)
- Payton / Coyne Racing (2 cars) [2]
- Truesports (1 car)
- Vision Racing (2 cars)
- Walker Racing (2 cars) [3]
- A.J. Foyt Enterprises (2 cars)
- Chaparral Racing Team (2 cars) [4]
- PacWest Racing (2 cars)
- Forsythe / Green Racing (1 car)
- King Racing (1 car, plus 2nd at some races)
- Hayhoe Racing (1 car)
- Arciero Racing (1 car)
- Team Menard (2 cars, plus Indy 500 one-offs)
- Dyson Racing (1 car)
- Bayside Disposal Team (1 car)
- Comptech Racing (1 car)
- Pagan Racing (2 cars)

This is 37 regular full-season entries, which is a lot but surprisingly plausible. Sponsorship for Indycar in 1993-94 was not all that hard to get if you had a good deal, and it showed in the sponsors of the time. Combine that with the revenue-sharing deals and you make that case even easier. Do with this what you will, but I'm hoping this is idea kicking for you. My research for He Came From Indianapolis found a lot of this, and had me asking what if a lot. You've got my brain going again. :) I'd guess at drivers but this year will be where Mansell shows up, and you've hinted at changes at Penske and Ganassi, and Michael in F1 changes Newman-Haas, too. Too much to even guess at.

[1] Galles only had one full-season car in 1994 (for Adrian Fernandez), but with this I'm guessing that he could do more.

[2] A great many people will love you if you can have Walter Payton's illness be found much earlier than OTL. Payton's money and Coyne's experience could make that pairing a huge deal, and Payton was very enthusiastic about car racing, to the point of being a driver himself in IMSA and Trans-Am in 1993. Payton's cholangitis can be cured with a transplant - you will make many people love you if you can fix that.

[3] Walker had three full-time cars in 1994 (Robby Gordon, Mark Smith and Willy T. Ribbs), but I'm keeping him to two here for plausibility reasons.

[4] This is Jim Hall's team, just using the legendary name again.

Current plan for Stanley is to drive the ovals in IndyCar, and a full IndyLights season.

Regarding team ownership, tenatively Foyt-Vision Racing will be a combined outfit, but the only other change early on will be Hall reverting to the Chapparal name. Other changes will happen more slowly over the 1993 season. Look for one-car teams to merge so they can throw their investment towards track ownership ASAP. The goal will be 33 cars per race.

Rahal will find a different name to work with by the end of this season. I've got big plans for his racing team.

Mario will be looking to align with someone to build a team with. Thoughts at the moment are Newman-Andretti, and Haas teaming up with a post-Rahal Hogan.

Addendum, random thoughts, and questions...

Current working IndyCar ladder series:

Karting->Quarter Midgets->Midgets->Sprint Cars->Toyota Atlantic->Indy Lights->IndyCar

The best will be able to leapfrog one or two steps, and George won't have it easy shelling out for cars for Stanley early on. He wants Stanley to challenge a full season so he can maximise the Tier 1 benefits, but he's pooling resources with Foyt just in case.

Expect Foyt-Vision racing to last through 1993, possibly 1994 before Tony goes his own way, and they'll run Gordon, Pruett, Stanley, and an Indy-Only entry.

Watch for team mergers, as I said before. The internet bubble hasn't got itself going by early 1993, and a lot of teams weren't as healthy as they could be without the early-90's recession. Had all this happened with a stronger economy, IndyCar would be looking at NASCAR-sized fields.

I'm going to use the convienient timing of this TL to keep the field size away from the high 30's range. Teams will be looking for stability early on so they can invest in tracks grab Tier 1 status.

THAT will have it's own repercussions.

Also, if anyone can think of a plausible way for Roger Penske to placate environmentalists and the neighborhood of Upper Marlboro, MD, (a stumbling block I've encountered,) I'll have him purchase the site of his first start, Marlboro Motor Raceway.

If that track can be developed, (doubtful, but I want to use it as a test facility if that can be plausible,) it's one hell of a location, and with a couple minor layout tweaks, it would be an incredible racing venue.

Now... Who should be the one to start the move to purchase Watkins Glen ASAP?

Can you return to the original purpose of this timeline, Senna?

That's the next update, and as the offseason is over (as far as updates are concerned,) you'll be seeing a lot of him.

This is a dual-series TL. The IndyCar mess took a while to resolve, (I spent ten more pages on it than I thought I'd need to.) F1 and IndyCar will share the spotlight pretty evenly overall, expect the '94-'95 and '95-'96 F1 offseasons to be as F1 heavy as the '92-'93 was for IndyCar.

I had to fix IndyCar to make my '97-present F1 plans plausible. IOTL, IndyCar fell apart in the mid '90s, and present day IndyCar ITTL is a hollow shell of twenty years ago.

IOW, Senna will remain a big factor ITTL. Just saying, for every Morrell barrel roll, sometimes you gotta smear some zinc oxide.

Current plan for Stanley is to drive the ovals in IndyCar, and a full IndyLights season.

That's a good way of doing it. 1993 Indy Lights has a good field, too - Stanley's main rivals will be Bryan Herta, Greg Moore, Sandy Brody, Steve Robertson, Robbie Groff and Franck Freon.

Regarding team ownership, tenatively Foyt-Vision Racing will be a combined outfit, but the only other change early on will be Hall reverting to the Chapparal name. Other changes will happen more slowly over the 1993 season. Look for one-car teams to merge so they can throw their investment towards track ownership ASAP. The goal will be 33 cars per race.

The Dotcom boom will make getting 33 cars in this Indycar world very easy - like I said, you could have 37 just from what I have above, and I was being fairly conservative, as all of those teams have sponsors and only Pagan bought assets from a team on that list. If you make Indycar grow and make it possible to have a share of its profits simply by running cars in the field for the full season, you WILL have guys from the IMSA world and Indy Lights make their way into the world. The Tier 1 status will make Truesports stay around on its own - the Trueman family owns Mid-Ohio at this point, don't forget - and while the one-car team mergers will be inevitable, it makes sense for some existing track owners to get Indycar teams and make for intense competition for races. I'd say 33 cars is being conservative - I'd aim for 36 and have prequalifying sessions for those at the bottom of the field, except at tracks where there is room for 40+ car fields, which is any of the superspeedways, of course.

Rahal will find a different name to work with by the end of this season. I've got big plans for his racing team.

Oh, goody. Perhaps he takes up the mentor of his old friend Jim Trueman and we get Rahal Truesports? (That makes Bobby a Tier 1 owner right away, don't forget, and him and Steve Horne is a serious combination....)

Mario will be looking to align with someone to build a team with. Thoughts at the moment are Newman-Andretti, and Haas teaming up with a post-Rahal Hogan.

The Newman/Haas partnership was because of Mario - Newman and Haas were rivals in the 1980s Can Am series, and they only became partners because Carl Haas was bringing chassis and some team organization, and Paul Newman could bring Mario Andretti to the team. I'd say just make that one Newman/Haas/Andretti. If you must make Carl Haas break from Paul Newman, make sure the Newman/Andretti is a good team.

Current working IndyCar ladder series:

Karting->Quarter Midgets->Midgets->Sprint Cars->Toyota Atlantic->Indy Lights->IndyCar

That's not bad, but I'd have parallel tracks. Track one is the road racing set, that being Karting -> Formula Ford 2000 -> Atlantics, with the oval track being Quarter Midgets -> Midgets -> Sprint Cars. Both sides meet up in Indy Lights, which ideally would have a schedule about 50/50 between ovals and road/street courses. The best from Indy Lights move into Indycars. If you really wanna make things good for Indycar, make Indy Lights have some big events of their own and make sure they are televised in their own right, like the NASCAR Nationwide Series is now IOTL. You could also use Indy Lights to run at racetracks which the Indycar series wants to have but is out of dates for, too.

The best will be able to leapfrog one or two steps, and George won't have it easy shelling out for cars for Stanley early on. He wants Stanley to challenge a full season so he can maximise the Tier 1 benefits, but he's pooling resources with Foyt just in case.

Expect Foyt-Vision racing to last through 1993, possibly 1994 before Tony goes his own way, and they'll run Gordon, Pruett, Stanley, and an Indy-Only entry.

So, who will be running who after 1993? In He Came From Indianapolis, Vision Racing started with Robbie Stanley and IMSA standout Butch Leitzinger in 1994 and 1995, with Leitzinger going back to IMSA in 1996 and him being replaced by Tony Stewart, the Stanley-Stewart team being the team's drivers for the rest of the 1990s and the first half of the 2000s. Scott Pruett in 1992 had an Indycar ride with Truesports and 1993-1996 with Pat Patrick. While Tony might like giving a middle finger to Pat Patrick by grabbing his driver, that's not an option I'd do. What I'd do is pick one of the best IMSA guys as I did. Butch Leitzinger, Randy Pobst, Boris Said, Tommy Archer, Elliott Forbes-Robinson, Terry Borcheller and Ron Fellows could all do that job. The added bonus here is that if you have Stanley or another short-tracker in the other car, the experienced road-racer teammate could be a great tutor on how to race an Indycar on a road course.

Robby Gordon IOTL went to work with Derek Walker for 1994, and Robby Gordon and A.J. Foyt will inevitably end up clashing in terms of personalities, namely because of both of them are highly opinionated. Foyt replaced Gordon with Davy Jones and then Bryan Herta until Herta was hurt in an accident at Toronto and Eddie Cheever took over. Now, I'm guessing Cheever is probably still headed stateside out of F1 by this point - he's been there for 10 years and achieved bupkis - so I'd let Robby go to Walker and sign Cheever and Herta.

Watch for team mergers, as I said before. The internet bubble hasn't got itself going by early 1993, and a lot of teams weren't as healthy as they could be without the early-90's recession. Had all this happened with a stronger economy, IndyCar would be looking at NASCAR-sized fields.

And the problem with NASCAR sized fields is what, exactly? I think that with the agreements you have here are nearly inevitable. Too many good team owners will want to push their way in to get a chunk of the growing profits. You might be able to keep 33ish cars in 1993, but by 1996 forget it, you'll have about 40 at each round. I'd say let it ride. The early 1990s recession was largely over by 1993-94 in any case.

I'm going to use the convienient timing of this TL to keep the field size away from the high 30's range. Teams will be looking for stability early on so they can invest in tracks grab Tier 1 status.

THAT will have it's own repercussions.

Considering the new tracks that entered CART and the IRL in the 1990s - Miami, Rio de Janiero, Las Vegas, Orlando, Gateway, Fontana, Pikes Peak, Charlotte, Houston, Twin Ring Motegi, Dover, Atlanta, Chicago - as well as the places you want to have, I don't think you'll have any problems with single-car teams being Tier 1 teams, and some of the partnerships won't work particularly well, and even some that do eventually sour, as Frank Arciero and Cal Wells found out. In addition, you also have places like Watkins Glen which didn't host Indycars in the 1990s on deck ITTL. You won't need team mergers for stability, trust me.

Also, if anyone can think of a plausible way for Roger Penske to placate environmentalists and the neighborhood of Upper Marlboro, MD, (a stumbling block I've encountered,) I'll have him purchase the site of his first start, Marlboro Motor Raceway.

If that track can be developed, (doubtful, but I want to use it as a test facility if that can be plausible,) it's one hell of a location, and with a couple minor layout tweaks, it would be an incredible racing venue.

Looking at a 1993 satellite image of the place, it's most undeveloped to the southwest of the track and its adjacent to a swamp and a creek, so you are out of space on one side, and the multiple paths of racing adjacent to each other require careful planning. That said, I think you could make it work. My idea for that one would be to extent the track slightly to the southwest and remove the oval section of it, keeping the east corners of the oval, of course. The track extension would start at the OTL hairpin and run through a right-left-right-left section of esses, with the last left being long. It runs for a short straight into a new hairpin, where the track would run back north to rejoin the old track at where the hairpin was. I'm partly recommending that to allow greater grandstands on the outside of the track. I'd also build new pits on the inside of the track at the OTL start-finish line. Grandstands would go in the OTL location, as well as on the outside of the esses and on the outside of Creek Bend, with a tunnel under there and under Subway corner to make the place easily accessible. I'd also have good pathways around the facility outside of the swamp and the creek.

How do you get around NIMBY concerns? You point out that there is a horse racing track across US 301 and a water treatment plant south of the facility's location. You wanna have NIMBY whining over that location? As far as environmentalist concerns go, you buy the whole property and the area south of it and only use what you must as a racetrack, and the rest stays a nature preserve. Pointing out that its Roger Penske, one of the biggest racing team owners in America and a major player in the world, should be enough to make it real. Promise an Indycar race to the track and you'd probably get the locals to pipe down about it. Hell, you could name the race the "President's Trophy", as that was a trophy awarded at the track in the 1960s. (And maybe, owing to the fact that the track is seven miles from Andrews Air Force Base and seventeen miles from the White House, maybe you get a President to actually award it a time or two....President Clinton visiting a racetrack when he's up for re-election in 1996, maybe?)

Now... Who should be the one to start the move to purchase Watkins Glen ASAP?

Bobby Rahal would be the one I'd get to do it. You might be able to get him to partner with a few other team owners or incoming team owners - Gerry Forsythe, the Andretti, Rob Dyson - to get involved. If Penske is working with Speedway Motorsports he's out of the possibility, and I don't know if Ganassi would try for Watkins Glen.

That's the next update, and as the offseason is over (as far as updates are concerned,) you'll be seeing a lot of him.

This is a dual-series TL. The IndyCar mess took a while to resolve, (I spent ten more pages on it than I thought I'd need to.) F1 and IndyCar will share the spotlight pretty evenly overall, expect the '94-'95 and '95-'96 F1 offseasons to be as F1 heavy as the '92-'93 was for IndyCar.

I had to fix IndyCar to make my '97-present F1 plans plausible. IOTL, IndyCar fell apart in the mid '90s, and present day IndyCar ITTL is a hollow shell of twenty years ago.

IOW, Senna will remain a big factor ITTL. Just saying, for every Morrell barrel roll, sometimes you gotta smear some zinc oxide.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm thinking that Senna will join Indy-Car when he leaves F1.

On the 1994 F1 cars ITTL

I expect Williams to do something along the lines of a hybrid of the B188, FW17, and the mid-2000's "horned" designs. Stacked intakes, raised noses, and a liberal interpretation of "single-element wings."

IOW, possibly ugly, unless it can be made beautiful.

Next update should be out by the weekend. I intend on 2-3 races plus some behind-the-scenes insights per update as happened last season, ITTL.

In the meantime, think on where I was aiming with the regulation changes in F1. No change in power if the teams can feed air to the engines, but a lot less downforce on the same sized rubber, unless folks other than Newey, Byrne, and Oatley can figure out how to maximize the rules.

All without electronic aids, mind you.