The M-BAM Main Thread

Little part of Japan that wasn't yet done

Da0EnUM.png
I have these flying around somewhere on my server as well... ;-;

Japan_finished.png

Improved Japan (coastlines, Island position of Ogasawara, Internal border corrections)

+ Ryuku Islands, Northern Ogasawara Islands (Between Oshima and Ogasawara) plus WIP Japanese Subprefectures

Improved Japan (coastlines, Island position of Ogasawara, Internal border corrections)

+ Ryuku Islands, Northern Ogasawara Islands (Between Oshima and Ogasawara) plus WIP Japanese Subprefectures

I'm not sure what's going on with that Korea, but I get the feeling it was drawn from a different projection. See below.

szKopP8.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to say nothing about Long Island.

New England isn't looking so hot, either. RI is horribly distorted and looks totally different :(

When I have the time, I'll try and make a nicer-looking one. How much larger scaled-up should the QBAM image base be?

long_island_new.png

I just wonder what is so wrong with this. I admit that New England was done a bit in a hurry and my reference map of America is infamous for being incorrect so i guess I'll have to correct it and while I am at it the counties as well.
By the way Korea is not incorrect i checked it. That's due to q/mbam projection and it only looks like this because north korea is missing which lets it look like its falsely made.

Another thing I'd suggest:
Maybe we could concentrate on finishing mbam with first level divisions only so we have the map finished as some kind of alpha version of mbam for people who only want the map scale itself. Then we could go on and add the second (third?) level divisions and improve the map.

long_island_new.png

I just wonder what is so wrong with this. I admit that New England was done a bit in a hurry and my reference map of America is infamous for being incorrect so i guess I'll have to correct it and while I am at it the counties as well.

Peconic Bay looks like it extends halfway through LI. The Bay itself has a lot of clutter.

In NJ Sandy Hook looks like an island. It's a peninsula. The barrier islands on LI are represented, but you can't see them in NJ. Further down south (not pictured) Cape May is rather stunted.

long_island_new.png

By the way Korea is not incorrect i checked it. That's due to q/mbam projection and it only looks like this because north korea is missing which lets it look like its falsely made.

Another thing I'd suggest:
Maybe we could concentrate on finishing mbam with first level divisions only so we have the map finished as some kind of alpha version of mbam for people who only want the map scale itself. Then we could go on and add the second (third?) level divisions and improve the map.
Long Island seems wrong because there is a ton of detail added to it but not the surrounding coast, which makes it stand out. Additionally, the level if detail makes it blacker than most spots on the M-Bam, and practically, harder to color in.

The original Long Island was also bad, but that's because the general shape and its position relative to Manhattan were wrong.

Long Island seems wrong because there is a ton of detail added to it but not the surrounding coast, which makes it stand out. Additionally, the level if detail makes it blacker than most spots on the M-Bam, and practically, harder to color in.

The original Long Island was also bad, but that's because the general shape and its position relative to Manhattan were wrong.
You know what then do long island yourself. I have done it 6 times now since it always was like "oh the island is too less detailed" "the southern coast that is closed by that land strip in the south is missing"
"Add more details"
"Make Staten Island an island"
"Make manhattan be displayed"

Now i did all of this and NOW EVERYONE SAYS ITS TOO DETAILED

CALM DOWN POEPLE

Last edited:
I assume it's because a large amount of AHers are from the area and are really looking forward to playing around with this region. Nobody is trying to discourage you and nobody in anyway under appreciates your work. Trust me.
Of course what you did looks phenomenal. A few tweaks may make it more accurate, naturally, as with any other place marked as a priority on this massive, ambitious project.
Besides, am I the only one who thinks Westchester/Bronx looks like Greece, haha?

I assume it's because a large amount of AHers are from the area and are really looking forward to playing around with this region. Nobody is trying to discourage you and nobody in anyway under appreciates your work. Trust me.
Of course what you did looks phenomenal. A few tweaks may make it more accurate, naturally, as with any other place marked as a priority on this massive, ambitious project.
Besides, am I the only one who thinks Westchester/Bronx looks like Greece, haha?
It just annoys me since ive spent more tine on long island than on the Philippines, New Zealand and Japan altogether

Also yeah Greek Bronx :D