The M-BAM Main Thread

Yeah, about those Buenos Aires partidos... they're wrong. All of them.

I knew they looked a little weird the first time I saw them, but I didn't had the time to take a closer look, and I thought, well, when I get a mouse I can do some fixes, no biggie. But the thing is, I don't know what source was used for them, but they're completely unrecognizable. I tried my best to fix them, but it's done ad-hoc and it's probably all wrong; size, borders, everything. I'm pretty sure the size and shape of Capital Federal itself is also wrong.

Since I don't want just to come here and complain without any solutions, this is my patch, but I'm not good at this. I would start it all over, at least for this area. But I'm busy with other projects currently so I can't dedicate myself to this (and also I've never made a map from scratch).

View attachment 377097

I also added Martín García Island, which is important enough to be featured.

If you want some sources and try your hand to fix them, here are some I've found: You can see that they don't fit at all with the old one (and only barely with my own fix, for that matter):

amba_mapa.jpg

http://www.ign.gob.ar/AreaServicios/Descargas/Mapas

http://www.estadistica.ec.gba.gov.ar/dpe/images/cartografia/pdf/Densidad_Poblacion_Censo2010.pdf

The good news is that the rest of the provinces from what I've seen are fine. The only big mistake I've noticed is that some salt flats in Jujuy and Salta are colored as lakes, which they aren't of course.

I would love to do more, since I love this project, so far it's the only that has third level Argentine divisions and so it gets my infinite admiration. But just trying to fix this gave me an headache. Fucking porteños and their tiny-ass partidos.
Thanks for catching it and for fixing it too.
Since you are interested in working on more you can review this list for anything you think you can contribute on.

So uhhhhhh @darkfire if you want I'll start working on historical maps using the wikipedia list.
I am gonna be starting on the first few maps in the next few days but I decided it would be good to have country names and capitals marked too because those are changes included on that list and so we could include them too.
I finished adding the country names and adjusting them properly last night and will be working on the capitals tonight so that should be done soon.

Redcoat

Banned
Thanks for catching it and for fixing it too.
Since you are interested in working on more you can review this list for anything you think you can contribute on.

I am gonna be starting on the first few maps in the next few days but I decided it would be good to have country names and capitals marked too because those are changes included on that list and so we could include them too.
I finished adding the country names and adjusting them properly last night and will be working on the capitals tonight so that should be done soon.
All right! Historical maps were part of what I came here to make so...

Here is my update to my 1945 Europe map. The Soviet Republics now have gold internal borders for a thematic change, Poland has been changed to not occupied, and the Saar protectorate has been removed. I need someone to find a accurate map of the Kareilian SSR and hopefully offer a update for it. For the changes to be made to the U.S. occupations zones in Hamburg and Bremen I need a map that supports the change.

The Karelian SSR in 1945 had the same borders as the Republic of Karelia does now within Russia. So using those borders from the modern MBAM and the Dutch coastline patch from Tomoto's previous patches, plus the Bremen Enclave borders as supported by numerous maps (I have no clue why some maps online keep showing just Bremen and Bremerhaven (not Hamburg, which remained occupied by the British and is east of Bremerhaven) only as being occupied by the Americans rather than the surrounding districts as well that connect them), this patch should bring the 1945 map fully up to speed.

What approximate date is it supposed to be in 1945 though? Because that still has implications for Norway at the very least.

MBAM 1945 germany netherlands karelofinnish ssr patch.png

EDIT: Included Soviet naval base in Finland (using these maps as sources)

Last edited:
does anyone mind if I use Nation border and first admin border colors for sea lines instead of land color?

That light grey isn't actually the "land" colour; it's the "undefined" colour. The usual convention once it has been defined is that it would be the colour of the owning country (or protectorate/dominion of the same as appropriate). Unless you're indicating that the actual maritime border falls on that location, it would be misleading to draw it in a "border" colour.

That light grey isn't actually the "land" colour; it's the "undefined" colour. The usual convention once it has been defined is that it would be the colour of the owning country (or protectorate/dominion of the same as appropriate). Unless you're indicating that the actual maritime border falls on that location, it would be misleading to draw it in a "border" colour.
Well for the Black and white version this matters and in my attempts to make it easy to use separate parts by having them as distinct layers I like to have the sea lines available even without colors. I feel Border color is a better choice than land/undefined color due to it defining what land a country owns(any inside the line is assumed owned by the country in question)

Also after I run out real fast to vote and eat I will be uploading a map with name text+capitals for every country (including the 7 "Unrecognized Countries") So in an hour-ish

Maybe make a new "aquatic bounding box" colour then? Border lines would NOT be appropriate, as a border line should be used to define what territory a country owns, and these bounding boxes do not indicate maritime claims. Maritime claims would typically be water within however many miles of the relevant coast, not rectangular boxes on a nominally pseudocylindrical map projection. They'd look something vaguely similar to this map (not my own work).

As for layers? These are png files. They don't and can't (by definition) have layers.

That said, do what you like. I have no emotional attachment to the mbam project.

Maybe make a new "aquatic bounding box" colour then? Border lines would NOT be appropriate, as a border line should be used to define what territory a country owns, and these bounding boxes do not indicate maritime claims. Maritime claims would typically be water within however many miles of the relevant coast, not rectangular boxes on a nominally pseudocylindrical map projection. They'd look something vaguely similar to this map (not my own work).

As for layers? These are png files. They don't and can't (by definition) have layers.

That said, do what you like. I have no emotional attachment to the mbam project.
yeah I understand how the maritime borders work :p
I specified the word "Land" to indicate how all of the islands marked on the map within a box are owned by the given country

I work with a PDN file for all of my mapping and only merge layers once I am inclined to post something
It makes it much easier to see different aspects of the map and to work with the various parts of it

I like the suggestion of the aquatic borders color which would be reasonable to add do you have a color you could suggest for it(a specific 3# code?)

Okay this took me a couple days but here are the maps with the names and capitals added
I think the text and maybe the latitudes should be a different color so if someone could recommend something for me to try that would be cool.
If the text looks stupid its because I pixeled it by hand instead of using a text box or something so I could have full control of the coloring and shape.
please let me know if you spot any stupid misspellings or other minor errors I could fix

Anyways after this I will start working on that historical maps project I talked about a week or so ago so that should be fun....

Lets start with the PDN which is massive (17 layers and 13.2 MB I wish your computer good luck handling it)

Here is the map with 15/17 layers active

Here is the map without country subdivisions

And here is the map without and SUCK coloring or conflict lines

anyways have fun with these!

1v1 me irl provinciano :p

We'll meet in the Conurbano, it's a PvP zone. I'll bring my alacranes :p

Anyways I wouldn't call that part of the Map "fixed", it's just somewhat better. Also I realized that Martín García is split between Argentina and Uruguay. I have NO idea how to split a single pixel (and I'm afraid the Universe will collapse if I do) so... I'll see what I can do later.

We'll meet in the Conurbano, it's a PvP zone. I'll bring my alacranes :p

Anyways I wouldn't call that part of the Map "fixed", it's just somewhat better. Also I realized that Martín García is split between Argentina and Uruguay. I have NO idea how to split a single pixel (and I'm afraid the Universe will collapse if I do) so... I'll see what I can do later.
Martín García isn't split between Argentina and Uruguay, there is another island very close to Martín García that is owned by Uruguay and will fuse into Martín García in the future because of all the sediment being brought from the Paraná.

Martín García isn't split between Argentina and Uruguay, there is another island very close to Martín García that is owned by Uruguay and will fuse into Martín García in the future because of all the sediment being brought from the Paraná.

I googled it, from what I read it appears like they have already been united

Redcoat

Banned
upload_2018-3-20_18-11-41.png

So I've made a map on the map thread of an ASB scenario I had. Ignore the changes that took place TTL because I'll edit them out. Is the rest of the map accurate for 1921? (After Polish-Soviet War) Because I was wondering if I could use this as a base for an interwar map.