What writing style do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just reviewed a few updates, and I wonder if Nicolas and Edouard would be present in Levant by the time the Mongol Cousins' War would begin. They may go straight to Middle East if that's Nicolas' wish to see China again, but do they have some evangelical mission to cope with (the Pope might find a use for someone as experienced in Mongol affairs as Nicolas for another embassy).
Also, if Edouard makes it to the Song court, that could be interesting to see how the Chineses receive him, given that he is a bastard, a royal 'bastard' (qualification not counting the legal controversy that surrounds it).
And it was mentionned to give him an apanage in Cornwal, but that failed because of nobility's opposition. Still, why not having this apanage in a land outside of Anglo-French jurisdiction, maybe in Andalusia or in Jerusalem, where his birth wouldn't bother much.

I want to make two remarks:
1. Nicolas de Manduel is a Church man only in name. His true nature is of a business man... Moreover, he was in Church only very little in his youngest life.
2. Edouard has 0 inclinations to church life either and no intention to become a monk as all the realm wish...

France is no place for either of them right now... Edouard for the obvious reasons and Nicolas because he is perceived as a thereat for the Church with his stories and his book which already became a contraband object.

Thus being said... they both will live a great adventure. :)

If I were to trust my dragon senses, I'd say an update is coming

:):):)

Your sense is good!

I will add an update soon but, sadly, not so soon. I'm still working on it.
That's more about blind luck I'd say :
tumblr_o94lfuRL3R1um61dko1_500.jpg

We shall make France great again!

We shall make France great again!

Rouen, The year of the Lord 1284, early April

Three men were standing in that austere room in the old Ducal Castle of Rouen. One of them was King Charles IV of France and I of England. After the fire of castle of Vincennes, Charles had moved his preferred residence in Rouen, from where he could communicate easily with all his realms. He still held an aversion towards Paris and he had never liked London. Nevertheless, his presence on the political scene was frugal, inconsistent and… mostly with little futility. The affairs of the realm was still held on the thigh grasp by his uncle Philip of Arles, while the other magnates held different degree of power and influence.

The Capetian dominions saw a steadily economic recovery in the last decade and the money start flowing again in the coffers. This was also helped by the politics of reducing the costs and no more funding wars or campaigns. This politic, promoted by the King himself, was not wildly agreed by the power brokers of the kingdom but it was more or less followed as Philip of Arles start aging and was fighting with more and more severe health problems. The magnates saw in this a weakness and considered that the French interests are hampered.

The spring on 1284 had brought several social convulsions. The Kingdom was overcrowded and the last winter was particularly harsh. The people suffered from famine and for the lack of firewood. Even in Paris there were hundred which frozen to death, while across the country there were thousands which died. The law that Philip of Arles passed in the past year had confirmed the privileges granted by King Philip the Great in which he abolished the serfdom. During the civil war the barons tried to re-installed it but with mixing results.

Forced by the famine and lacking the means for cultivating the lands, or lacking the lands themselves, thousands upon thousands of peasants were leaving their villages and moved to the cities. But the cities were also crowed and the workforce was in surplus. They could barely live from temporary less payed jobs. The prices start raising and many knew that they could not resist another winter anymore. It seems that the government was overwhelmed by this situation as it lacked founds and vision as well as a clear strategy. The people start to protest for better conditions but they were… very expendable. The northern France, being the most populated, was the hardest hit. A famine was prefigured to happen next year if measures will not be taken.

But this volatile mass also created opportunities. There were agents which recruited people for emigrate abroad. By far, the most popular place to emigrate was the Kingdom of Andalusia. There was now a safe and direct land route to it and there was plenty of empty land waiting there. Well, it was not so empty, as there were a lot of Muslims leaving there, but King Henry promised lands to everyone who want to settle there in exchange for military service. These prospects attired many young men which enthusiastically enrolled. There was a long route to there but they could not fear brigands or enemy attacks as all the lands there were in friendly hands. King Henry of Andalusia had agreed to pay the tool taxes from his own coffers. He wanted to create a base of loyal population in his kingdom in order to counter-balance the Muslim population. While the new-comers often lacked any basic training as warriors, as well as equipment, he do not hesitated. He assigned captains charged with training them once per weak. Their weapons were mainly pikes and most lacked any armor, however he do not wanted them to be effective for conquests and aggressive wars in which he could employ mercenaries, but to be effective in keeping in check the locals. The King of Andalusia also employed a fair amount of Muslim soldiers, especially as light cavalry, archers and javeliners but never more than a third of his forces. In time, he wanted to co-opt the locals to his dynasty and to forge a new and cohesive nations. Till then, he knew that the way is to have constant success and expansion as he could not tolerate enemies on this borders. Importing settlers, was essential for his plans. While he accepted them from all the Christendom, France and, especially the northern side, was the obvious and the main supplier of immigrants.

Another beneficiaries of this conjuncture were the entrepreneurs. They could expand their business, taking advantage of low wages, high surplus on the labor market, low taxes, and less governmental control. Their only problem were the great magnates which had conflicting interests. The rising bourgeoisie gain more and more power while the nobles saw their power and wealth diminishing. The first militated for more political power, while the last wanted to keep their privileges.

For a century, the crown used the towns and the bourgeoisie to keep in check the great landowners and nobles. For a century, the communes and the clergy were defended by the crown and supported the crown. But now, this mutual contract was broken as the crown held little authority and the magnates sized most power. Philip of Arles tried to limit the rapacity of the nobles, but in the other hand he benefited massively from his position. He had turned the Languedoc in his personal fief were the King was just theoretical the overlord but in practice nearly absent. He used the Royal army and the Royal power to fight his enemies and even invaded Navarre in order to facilitate the seizure of Aragon by his younger son. He used the royal finances to promote the interest of his family both inside and outside of the kingdom, especially during the German civil war when he obtained huge concessions for himself and for his sons. All these in the name of the interest of the Kingdom and the Dynasty. Sadly, his health condition had worsened and he start to lose the grasp of the country and of the power. His enemies gathered up courage and start to defy him.

Therefore, by the spring of 1284, the tension could be fill in all circles in France. Despite the low taxes, the nobles start to impoverish, the great magnates wanted more power and lands, the peasants lacked land and were exposed to famine, the towns were overflowed by people searching for work.

In this ambiance, two men asked for a private meeting with the king. It was late in the evening but the room was lavishly illuminated by a great chandelier, backed by many candles. The King and the two men were standing in the middle of the room.

“We shall make France great again!” said the old grizzled man to the King.​

The man that spoke these words was the count of Flanders and Hainault, Baldwin de Dreux. He was one of the oldest magnates in France, being ruler since 1231 when the death of his mother the Countess Joan de Constantinople, the own daughter of the Emperor Baldwin I, put him on the throne at barely 17.

His father, Peter de Dreux, sometime nicknamed the Mauclerk, had married in 1211 one of the most wanted heiress in Christendom grace of King Philip Augustus maneuvers to bring the rich county closer to the throne. Therefore, Baldwin the X of Flanders and the VII of Hainaut could claim both Capetian blood from his father and the Flemish bloodline from his mother which could go up to Charlemagne himself. With his grand-father and uncles being the Latin Emperors of Constantinople for a while, he was one of the most prestigious men in the entire Christendom.

After the fall of Constantinople in the hands of the Bulgarians, he dreamed for a while to go and conquer it back but the Mongol juggernaut shattered these wild dreams. He focused on gather money and political power inside the Capetian realms. In 1236 he married Blanche de Champagne, the daughter of Theobald IV of Champagne, linking the two principalities into a close alliance. Despite being sometime in opposition to the crown, his position and wealth keep him among the top levels of power and politics in the Kingdom.

During the civil war, he and his father in law, were one the leaders of the “Ligue du Bien Public”, a conservative and reactionary party that fought for more Baronial power and liberties. While failing to capture Paris, he managed to capture Mathilde of Brabant, the mother of the King, which guarantee him a privileged position at the peace table and a good sum of money as ransom. Therefore, he was member of the Grand Council and a fierce opponent of King Philip of Arles. He had won the trust of King Charles during the war in England and, especially, when he had managed to rally the army caught in the ambush by Richard Plantagenet near Dartford.

Since then, Baldwin influence grew more and more while the position of Philips of Arles become shakier after the first Aragonese campaign, being also confronting with health problems.

However, he was not uncontested. Simon de Montfort “the younger”, the II Count of La Marche, had also raised to prominence, railing around him the middle and lower segments of the French nobility as well as the bourgeoisie, seeing themselves the progressive wing of the society. He had become one of the few and the closest friends of the King. One which Charles trust and admire. He admire him for his physical strength and beauty, for his martial prowess but, especially, for his high culture and education. The 44 years old Simon had received in his youth the best education, with focus in law, philosophy, history and martial arts. The two men spent many hours talking politics or different other subjects.

“When France stopped to be great?” asked Simon de Montfort.​

The two guys intersected their views. High tension could be seen in the room, as it was obvious that they hate each other and both were fully convinced that they solely held the true.

“When our illustrious king Philip died in crusade!”

He throw a long look at the King. Other words come out from his mouth than the one which he thought. Some words could not be said even if they were obvious for everybody. Everybody knew about what the Count referred to. The King throw his eyes to the ground ashamed. He still suffered from a great inferiority complex about his acts in his youth when he had sink the country in civil war and lost a great deal of prestige.

Since then”, continued the count even more boldness, “we had become the mockery of Christendom. Our kingdom was respected, our armies were feared. Everybody look to Paris to seek guidance and justice. Now… nobody respect us anymore. Hence, nobody believe that we are able to govern ourselves! They all look to Arles as the true King of France and England. We should stop this. Now it’s the time to action! Now it’s the time to take our country back again and stop the madness tyranny!”

My King”, said calmly Simon de Montfort, “I agree that we shall curb the power of Arles and regain the prestige we have lost. However, I do not agree that this is the way. Acting now it’s too soon. Acting like that it’s not the right way to do it. My advice is to have patience. He is old and sick. His son and heir is far from what his father is. We have all the time in front of us. Have patience…”

“Patience?!” yelled Baldwin of Dreux. “Patience? We had enough of patience. Now is the time to action! His power is weak and the People had enough of him…”

“The People?” counter him Montfort. “The People you thought is a handful of Princes which are not the People.”

“They…, WE are the People! It’s all that matter.”

Both the King and Montfort nodded, but Baldwin continued his speech.

“Furthermore, His Holiness, the new Pope is a true Frenchman and he will back us in this endeavor. The time when Arles dictated and the Pope executed were now gone.”

“You Lie!” said Montfort.

Gentlemens!” intervened the King when Dreux drought the sword to defend his honor. “My Lords, we are not here to fight, nor to profess injuries. Please, keep your words and swords in their scabbards“.

“I’m sorry, my King. My bad language betray me sometime and push me to act rashly. I do not want to offense Monseigneur de Dreux who I deeply consider him due to his age and position…”

Everybody knows that these were also lies. Dreux preferred to ignore the sarcasm of his interlocutor. For now…

“We do not know”, continued undisturbed Montfort, “if His Holiness will want or will be able to be involved in this political struggle. The vast number of the cardinals were still very in the favor of continuation of the old politics. Moreover, Rome could be overrun by the armies of King of Sicily and do not forget, your uncles are very close allies. I also heard that His Holiness is more interested to launch a crusade against the heretics in Bosnia and he need the support of Sicily for doing that.”

Baldwin de Dreux approached to the King. He was taller than him and dominated Charles with a head. He looked directly in his eyes and spoke with a deep voice:

Mon Roi et mon Seigneur, if you prefer to be kept on leash by Arles, is up to you. But then do not have the claim that your country and your people will respect you! If you choose so, you are not worthily of the memory of your father, your grandfather, and all your ancestors before them. Please, let us make the Kingdom great again. Together we ca do it!”

“You have my blessing, Monseigneur!” said King Charles and left the room.​

The two counts remained in the room alone and look each other for a moment before leaving without saying any other words, only slightly bowing their heads as sigh of salute.

------

Last edited:
The confession
The confession

The year of the Lord, 1284. Rouen

The two men were alone in the garden, far away from anybody who could hear what they taught. They admired the first flowers of the spring and they were supposedly discussing philosophy...

She's cheating on me…” said one of them after a long period of silence.​

“Who?” asked the other man astonished by the sudden words his interlocutor had just uttered. “The…?”

“Yes. I knew it. I knew it for long time but I could not say it to anybody. Please Simon, swore that you will keep this secret.”

“My Lord…”

“Swore it. Please!?”

“I… I swore it. Are you sure about this? With who?”

“… with Champagne… maybe with others too. I do not know. I saw how they look to each other… the servants are spooking from behind about their long visits in which they discuss... poetry… The Troubadour they call him… ”

“That vermin… that traitor! Oh, he will pay for it! When do you think it had started?”

“Since his arrest by my uncle Arles, the Queen had taken his side and the Count begin to be more and more present in her entourage.”

In 1281, Philip of Arles had arrested Count Theobald V of Champagne for some trivial reasons in order to prevent him to claim the throne of Navarre, so his son Henry could conquer it freely. However, his arrest generated a huge wall of dissatisfaction among the high nobility which show sympathy towards one of their fellow magnates. The Queen herself visit him countless time in his prison and lobbied for being freed. He was released but forced to stay in Paris until the trial by his peers. Philip manipulated the jury so he was found culpable of dilapidation and forced to pay a huge sum of money, money which could not serve this way anymore to raise an army. Until the final payment, he was in confinement in Paris.

Theobald continued to enjoy the life in the capital, enjoying the company of other nobles and, especially the Queen which do not shared the same adversity towards Paris as her husband, the King. The Queen Christina of Norway had already build a court around herself and lived lavishly in Paris more than half the time, while the rest she joined her husband in Rouen. The presence of the Count in her entourage was therefore nothing to be noticed. However, with the time, the two grow closer and closer and soon there were rumors that the Queen and the Count held sentiments one for each other. Of course, those rumors were kept at bay and the feelings were considered innocent ones. A courtly love. An ennobling but unconsummated passion to a married women from a higher rank as the troubadours held for their patroness. Theobald was nicknamed Theobald the Troubadour as he write and interpreted many love poems and songs, most of them dedicated to a mysterious women of very high born of which love was denied to him. With his rank, few women were higher born… and even fewer were inaccessible. [1] He was married to Beatrix of Bourbon but, despite she had provide him two sons, she lived nearly in total seclusion in Provins.

“My lord”, continued Simon de Montfort, “we shall take measures. We cannot let the situation continue and both the Count and the Queen shall pay for it! Have your confront her?”

“No. I cannot.”

“Why? You… should.”

“Because if I will do it, then I cannot turn it back anymore. And it will throw the country into chaos… I have done it once, I will not do it a second time.”

“The Queen shall be judged for treason and you, my lord, you will find another wife.”

“Do you imagine what it will happens if I do so? I will throw in doubt the paternity of my children. I will destroy the legitimacy of my heir. Do you want a new civil war? One which might destroy the union with England? And the weak grasp I have on Loraine. My uncles will jump and tear the Kingdom to the parts.”

“I’m ask you now and I swore by God that I will keep this secret. Do you have any doubts concerning the legitimacy of the princes?”

To the exterior, the royal couple tried to keep the appearances of a happy family. However, long time had hovered rumours of the King impotency... and only the birth of Prince Philip in 1278 make those fading away. A new son, Louis, followed in 1283. As the romance between the Queen and the Count might have started sometimes in 1282, he could not be father of Philip. Not the same could be said about the second born, Louis. On the other hand, if the Queen had fornicated once, she could have being do it also before! Philip was conceived sometime during the Christmas lent but nobody questioned the King or the Queen about it, as the tension of having an heir was so great that everybody fill relieved and greeted it as a heavenly gift.

After all, the King had already an issue before… a son which was unanimously declared being a bastard as the marriage with his mother, of sad memory, was declared null and void by the Pope himself… So he could not be neither impotent, nor sterile. He might have committed a little sin and sleep with the Queen in a forbidden period, however, the birth was a blessing for the realm…

But… what if the Queen had sinned with another man? What if neither the heir, nor the second born were the legitimate sons of the King? What if they were bastards, the fruit of a terrible sin and treason? Simon de Montfort was appalled by the prospects. They terrify him. He do not knew what could be worse. A bastard and impostor on the throne or a new civil war which might have tear the country apart… By God, he wish to never know this! Simon was a close friend of the King. Perhaps the sole one. Now, he experienced mixed feelings of furry and anger and disappointment.

“Simon... please. I’ve told you this secret because I could not supported anymore to keep it just for me… The burden was so terrible. I could not sleep anymore.”
Simon noddle.

“I will deal with Champagne myself. When I will finish with him, he will wish to not have even being born!”...

--------
[1] I inspired from the OTL life of Theobald IV of Champagne, called The Troubadour, which seems to had an affair with Blanche de Castile (well... after she become a widow).

---
PS: this is a small narrative chapter. I will come back to the usual style with the following chapters :)

Last edited:
With King Henry's policies encouraging a predominately French wave of immigrants to Andalusia, my guess is that TTL Andalusian will be an oddity in the Iberian peninsula by being a Gallo-Roman linguistic enclave in a sea of Iberian Romance. Or depending on how the remaining Andalusian Muslims are treated, Andalusian Arabic could diverge, become influenced by French, to become its own language like OTL Maltese.

With King Henry's policies encouraging a predominately French wave of immigrants to Andalusia, my guess is that TTL Andalusian will be an oddity in the Iberian peninsula by being a Gallo-Roman linguistic enclave in a sea of Iberian Romance. Or depending on how the remaining Andalusian Muslims are treated, Andalusian Arabic could diverge, become influenced by French, to become its own language like OTL Maltese.
Hi,

Actually... I have not decided which linguistic course Andalusia will take... Especially because I do not know very well which language the locals spoken before the reconquest. Was it Arab? a Latin dialect?

The reasons for French migration to Andalusia ITTL are :
- Henry's desire to have a friendly base population and Christian one;
- The opportunity:
* France was closer than other areas (Germany, England, Italy)
* after a such long war (jihad, crusade, + continuing conquest), the region saw a quite harsh drop in population, both in the Christian lands and the Muslim ones. Many regions were quite depopulated by massacres, enslavement, famine or population displacements (migration or expulsion). Therefore, land was available and attracted colonists.
* as the Pope kept in place the indulgence for the ones which fought against the Muslims in Iberian peninsula, many possible crusaders (both nobles, knights, rich burgers or peasants) choose to go there instead in the Holy land (further, more expensive as they were forced to employ the sea routes and more dangerous - the Mongols)
* Henry fame of victorious, war genius and, especially, generous leader attracted many opportunists and ambitious men which wanted to gain fame land, riches, and titles. If this can be achieved with the absolution of sins, even better!​
- The necessity:
* France was hit in OTL by a severe overpopulation with famines by the end of 13th century and the great famine in 1315-1317, despite of an unprecedented period of peace and stability. Those were caused by overpopulation in one hand and by the weather cooling. ITTL, the stability vanished away after the death of King Philip the Great therefore the French was exposed sooner to these difficulties. The people are more inclined to migrate as they are going to a friendly place and not so far. Moreover, Henry was willing to pay for them to come as he had a lot of money (well, the continuously plunder of the Muslim lands + the massive exports of Andalusian goods to France and England possible by Breton navies). Furthermore, he held lands in France (was count of Nevers) and therefore he permanently encouraged this migration. The serfdom was also abolished the facto and the jure. Taking in consideration the political and the economic instability, result that the peasants have fewer reasons to stick home and more reasons to pack and leave. The Iberian crusade create an aura around it and it was very attractive at all level of population.
The consequences of this will be that the famines will have less dramatic impact if France as there is a valve for the overpopulation.​

- The lack of other sources:
* Germany has the "Drang nach Osten" which is different than OTL.
-- For once, the Mongol invasion and the subsequent wars and interegnum brought a great deal of destruction in Germany itself so... the emigration took a setback as a reconstruction at home was needed.
-- There is no Hungarian call (IOTL the Hungarian Kings attracted many settlers from Saxony and Franconia to repopulate his ravages lands after the Mongol invasion. ITTL, Nogai do not. There is instead a consistent Vlach migration from the Balkans to the Black Horde).
-- The German settlers are directed more toward the Baltic were Teutons are still fighting the Lithuanians and the Prussian tribes
-- A greater migration to Poland. The country was finaly reunited and the King need settlers
-- There is German migration to Andalusia, but less than the French one​
* England: while less populated, the English has a very close place to go: the North of England winch was ravaged by the Waldensian revolt and crusade. The Barons which build-up the region preferred settlers from the Southern England winch were more loyal and true Catholics. There was also an English migration to Andalusia but far fewer in number to be significant
* Italy: Italy was a source of settlers for Andalusia but Italians are less inclined to leave Italy which was pretty much very developed (a lot of cities) and also they prefer to go to the Holy Land.
* The south of France export also settlers to Andalusia but, with Aragonesse conquest of Valencia, they had another place to go. As in OTL, Valencia attract a great deal of Occitain settlers.​
- The other Iberian kingdoms could not export population as they also need. The southern Castile was quite ravaged and it also need to re-populate the new acquired regions. There is some Leonese, Navarresse, Portuguese and Aragonesse settlers to Andalusia but they are very few.

Taking in consideration all these, it's obvious that the French (from d'Oc side of France) are the bulk of new settlers and the immigration will continue for a good period.

Now, the Capetian kings of Andalusia will be more inclined to treat well the local Muslim population than the Castilian ones, at least for a while. So, I do not expect a massive expulsion and "Convert or go" policies. Those things will happens, but on more local stage.

The language of the new kingdom could be a Franco-Andalusian dialect or a new hybrid between French, Arab and the local Latino dialects. Regardless which will win out, the upper class will spoke French and Latin.

I'm very opened to suggestions or critics to my theories/scenarios. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.