The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

Fánaithe
I do not speak Gaelic
I don't speak it either, but from what I can find, I think you're probably okay.

You could use Fhánaithe - according to this site, "the Norse were great wanderers" translates as "b'fhánaithe móra iad na Lochlannaigh, ba dhream an-siúlach iad na Lochlannaigh".
Alternatively, according to this site, another possibility might be rásaithe, meaning wanderers in the sense of vagrants.
Personally I'd leave it as you have it - blame any 'mistakes' on the passage of the centuries and the OTL/TTL cross-over ;).

I wonder if Dal Raithe might be impacted by this. If there is a growing power in Western Ireland, it might 1) want to get in om the action or/and 2) make a stronger push against the Picts to secure and expand it's Eastern borders and maintain its own power.

I don't speak it either, but from what I can find, I think you're probably okay.

You could use Fhánaithe - according to this site, "the Norse were great wanderers" translates as "b'fhánaithe móra iad na Lochlannaigh, ba dhream an-siúlach iad na Lochlannaigh".
Alternatively, according to this site, another possibility might be rásaithe, meaning wanderers in the sense of vagrants.
Personally I'd leave it as you have it - blame any 'mistakes' on the passage of the centuries and the OTL/TTL cross-over ;).
The h is just regular lenition in gaelic mutations.
I think another alternative could be rianaithe from rian track, course.
But I don't know Gaelic either!

I'm enjoying this TL. Great start.
Thank you!

The h is just regular lenition in gaelic mutations.
I think another alternative could be rianaithe from rian track, course.
But I don't know Gaelic either!

Thanks for the feedback, lads! Glad to see I’m not too far off
I wonder if Dal Raithe might be impacted by this. If there is a growing power in Western Ireland, it might 1) want to get in om the action or/and 2) make a stronger push against the Picts to secure and expand it's Eastern borders and maintain its own power.

Dal Riata will get a mention in the next section (which will also provide an overview of the Irish political scene at the time)

Last edited:
Excellent start to this. Really like the emphasis on small family groups vs perception some have of large groups of natives.

Keep it up

Superb start to what's looking like an smashing timeline! I love how realistic and well crafted the early interactions between the Europeans and natives are! Looks like the greater wealth from the fur trade might enable the Irish to centralize their state more than OTL. The natives have a much better shot here, though since the initial contacts are so remote diseases will probably burn out before reaching any of the big population centers for now..

Chapter Two, Part Two: The Companies Come Calling
Chapter Two, Part Two: The Companies Come Calling, 577-607

Brendan died almost sixty years to the day of his arrival on the Insulam de Benedictus. In that time, he had never returned to Ireland, and, though he kept a fairly healthy correspondence with associates (not “friends” towards the end, for his had all passed on), he did not keep himself abreast of the great events and issues of the day. And with good reason- he was running the monastery at the edge of the world.

Therefore, he had known nothing of the changes that had been wrought on Erin’s Isle since his departure.

For one thing, a kingdom he had known and traveled in was gone.

With the money they had gained through trade, the Kings of Ailech looked for ways to spend it. They found an opportunity when Dál Riata, a neighbor to the East, fell into a political crisis. Dál Riata was a traditionally powerful state, with possessions on both Ireland and Pictland. However, in 570, they fell on hard times; an able King died, replaced with a weak child. A newly Christianized Pictish over-chieftain, sensing weakness, launched a strong attack on their Pictish possessions.

As the warriors of Dál Riata crossed to fight this threat, the Kings of Ailech looked upon her unguarded Western flank covetously. Conchobar and Dualtach, the successors of Forggus and Domnall, cast about for an alliance. They found one in the Kingdom of Dál nAraidi. Dominated by the Cruthins, a clan jealous of the Dál Riatans possessions in Ulaid, the two formed an alliance against the already engaged kingdom.

The resulting battles (the war itself lasting to 574, due to stalwart defenses and the seasonal campaigning of the warfare of the time) saw Dál Riata destroyed. Conchibar and Dualtach, along with their Cruthin ally, Faelan (now the self-proclaimed King of Ulaid), congratulated themselves on a campaign well waged.

However, this shift in the balance of power in Northern Ireland set of alarm bells in the other petty Kingdoms. In the halls of the King of Connacht, Loingsech, and in the chambers of the King of Munster, Cathal, and in the rooms of myriad other petty Kings and clans, the discussion focused on how the Uí Néills of Ailech had been able to run such a campaign.

The conclusion?

The trade with the Insulam.

While that might have been a misperception of the effect the trade had on the war (as some leading historians of the last century termed it), there can be no denying it was true in part. With the funds from this western fur trade, the Kings of Ailech had purchased the service of several mercenary bands, had bribed a few chieftains to switch sides, and mitigated the effects of raids against their cattle stock. This may not have been decisive, but it did certainly help.

It seemed decisive to the other Kings in Ireland. And it was this perception that would trigger the next development in the history of Irish contact with the Western Hemisphere.

In 577, the Loingsech, King of Connacht, issued a similar proclamation to that issued by Forggus and Domnall forty years before, calling on brave and adventurous souls within his land to come to his hall. He was answered by several men, including a few veteran Fánaithe [1] who had made their fortune, come back, and burned through it all. That would go a long way towards the success of the King’s proposal- an expedition to the Insulam for the purpose of fur acquisition, unrelated to that carried out by the Kings of Ailech.

Loingsech would manage to get forty volunteers, who sailed from his lands in March of 578. Following the same routes as those of the men of the North, the forty (none died on this voyage) would arrive at the island about a month after the fifty men of that years Northern expedition departed with their loads of furs. The monks and the Measctha of the island were confused by their arrival. Surely, it was not yet time for the Fánaithe to return? They inquired who these men were.

One blurted out- “The company from Connacht.” This stuck, and from thence the bands of the Fánaithe were referred to as companies.

The thusly named “Connacht Company” set out and began to collect furs for themselves. When the “Ailech Company” returned in October, with empty currachs, prepared to spend a winter carousing, they were shocked when they were informed that another “company” of Fánaithe from Connacht was wandering the island, and was probably returning to the monastery (now referred to as “Brendan’s”) as they spoke.

The men of Connacht returned in a trickle, in pairs or trios, dragging their stashes of furs with them. To the joy of the Ailech Company, they recognized some of the veterans from the previous expeditions that had joined the Connact Company. They spent a winter of hard drinking and womanizing- a far cry from what was to come.

The Connacht men would return home in June, laden with furs and tales of the winter. Loingsech was ecstatic with the haul. But as news spread to the North, Conchobar and Dualtach were enraged. They sent an emissary to Loingsech, complaining that his men had infringed on “our rights to our trade”. Loingsech’s reply was simple- “What rights?”

Connacht’s steadfast refusal to engage with the Kings of Ailech over this issue seemingly opened up the Insulam to the other petty Kings. The North’s monopoly on that trade was now over. Over the next few years, the Fánaithe began to take on a much more “national” [2] character. The different Companies were generally comprised of me hailing from land holding loyalty to the various petty Kings that backed them.

This caused other changes in the way the Fánaithe did their business. Seeking any edge they could over their rivals, the various Companies began to invest in dedicated sailors to enable the Fánaithe to stay on the island longer. These sailors were assisted by the development of a stronger, larger currach (the child of years of trans-oceanic travel), allowing more furs to be shipped at a time. An individual Fánaí would now spend several years on the Insulam (or, as it began to be increasingly called by those not in the church,”Far Island”) instead of merely a year.

Rivalries between Companies began to flare up, with brawls being recorded in the mid-580s. The new abbot of Brendan’s Monastery, Totnan, immediately did his best to quash fighting in and around the monastery. Arming volunteer monks and Measctha, he declared that he would keep the peace near the house of God. As the monastery began at this time to develop a small town of Measctha around its walls, the Fánaithe began to refer to it as “Peace Town”.

This cut down on the number fights, at least at first. Small skirmishes broke out in the wilds, but these were generally over who reached a good spot first. The orders from Ireland had yet to be issued for actual violence to begin, though that was shortly to take place…

607 marked the end of a period of rising tensions between the Kingdoms of Ireland, and by extension the Companies. The pot was about to boil over. However, 607 also marked the end of an era- for the last full-blooded Skin Man of the Insulam, named “Domhanghart”, by the monks. He had been 16 when the Plague struck. However, his life was an interesting one on its own. He was quick to volunteer to watch the Measctha children as they came to the monastery, and he, in his own way, passed down parts of his own, now dead, culture to them. For it was his influence that was the reason that the Measctha wore such crazed masks for their celebrations, why they struck their shoulder when frustrated, and used some native words for plants and animals and places.

But the world known by Brendan had entirely slipped away, and a new age was dawning for all on the island.

[1] For the first forty years of the Fánaithe, while they sailed to and from the lands of the Kings of Ailech, the individual Fánaí themselves hailed from across Ireland.

[2] “National” character in the Dark Ages is an interesting debate; the use of the term here refers to the fact that individual petty kingdoms were encouraging the development of Companies comprised of those living within their realms.

Last edited:
Superb start to what's looking like an smashing timeline! I love how realistic and well crafted the early interactions between the Europeans and natives are! Looks like the greater wealth from the fur trade might enable the Irish to centralize their state more than OTL. The natives have a much better shot here, though since the initial contacts are so remote diseases will probably burn out before reaching any of the big population centers for now..
Thank you! I’ve been trying my best to keep those interactions realistic, so I appreciate that!

Yeah, at this point Labrador and Newfoundland are the only regions that have been affected by European comtact. That will change, though.

as it began to be increasingly called by those not in the church,”Far Island”
Just a suggestion, but it might be referred to as one of these (all from here):
Land of Promise / Land of Opportunity = Tír tairngire
Land of Plenty = Tír na meala (or Tír na flúirse)
Land fit for heroes = Tír na dtréan
The word for Island is either inis (fem) or oileán (masc) so I think Island of Promise, etc would be Inis tairngire, etc.
If you want to keep Far Island then that seems to be Inis i gcéin ('far-distant island')

Thoroughly enjoying the story, thank you! :)

Just a suggestion, but it might be referred to as one of these (all from here):
Land of Promise / Land of Opportunity = Tír tairngire
Land of Plenty = Tír na meala (or Tír na flúirse)
Land fit for heroes = Tír na dtréan
The word for Island is either inis (fem) or oileán (masc) so I think Island of Promise, etc would be Inis tairngire, etc.
If you want to keep Far Island then that seems to be Inis i gcéin ('far-distant island')

Thoroughly enjoying the story, thank you! :)

This would be baile na síochána

(Sorry for double-posting!)

No apologies necessary!

Oh my... I really, really like Inis Tairngire. Though I also like the Land Fit for Heroes!

I’ll have to think on those two. “Far Island” was because I ran out of imagination, to be slightly honest. I was out clamming today and that took the life out of me.

Haven't gotten very far in the TL, but I'm a big fan.

One minor nitpick is that "Insulam de Benedictus" doesn't make any sense in Latin. It would have to be either "Insula Benedicta" (Blessed Isle) or "Insula Benedictorum/Sanctorum" (Isle of the Blessed/Saints).

Haven't gotten very far in the TL, but I'm a big fan.

One minor nitpick is that "Insulam de Benedictus" doesn't make any sense in Latin. It would have to be either "Insula Benedicta" (Blessed Isle) or "Insula Benedictorum/Sanctorum" (Isle of the Blessed/Saints).
In addition to not speaking Gaelic, I don’t speak Latin, so I literally just plugged it into the Google XD Thanks for the correction! When I get back home on Monday I’ll make that edit and all the other little edits I need to make that have been driving me crazy.

In addition to not speaking Gaelic, I don’t speak Latin, so I literally just plugged it into the Google XD Thanks for the correction! When I get back home on Monday I’ll make that edit and all the other little edits I need to make that have been driving me crazy.

No problem. Here to help if you have questions. Also, it just occurred to me if you were looking for "blessed" in the sense of happy/fortunate, you might want to use beata instead of benedicta. As for "Isle of the Dead," you could go with "insula mortuorum/defunctorum"

Oh my... I really, really like Inis Tairngire. Though I also like the Land Fit for Heroes!
I’ll have to think on those two. “Far Island” was because I ran out of imagination, to be slightly honest. I was out clamming today and that took the life out of me.
It's your story, so use whatever you want. The translations are, of course, from OTL, so making up some sort of variation on them which you like better would be entirely plausible - particularly if it were something which has been 'corrupted' over the centuries in the ATL. For example, Inis Tairngire could have become Ishgire or just Taigire or something entirely different.
The reason we're enjoying your TL is the story - the names are just incidental - so please just do whatever seems best to you!

ps hope the clams were tasty!

No problem. Here to help if you have questions. Also, it just occurred to me if you were looking for "blessed" in the sense of happy/fortunate, you might want to use beata instead of benedicta. As for "Isle of the Dead," you could go with "insula mortuorum/defunctorum"
I was using blessed in the sense of how Saints are the blessed, so I think your first suggestion worked the best in that sense.

It's your story, so use whatever you want. The translations are, of course, from OTL, so making up some sort of variation on them which you like better would be entirely plausible - particularly if it were something which has been 'corrupted' over the centuries in the ATL. For example, Inis Tairngire could have become Ishgire or just Taigire or something entirely different.
The reason we're enjoying your TL is the story - the names are just incidental - so please just do whatever seems best to you!

ps hope the clams were tasty!

Thank you for saying that!

Interesting take on the companies...OTL in Canada here this was in part what lead to the favoring of certain tribes over each other as each company tried to gain allies to dominate local trade nodes...who in turn migrated to the next trade post etc..
http://www.canadahistory.com/sections/maps/Explorers/Fur Trading Posts.html
This is a map I often look at which shows the range of fur trading posts, how often they were built in proximity to competition but more importantly how fast things expanded and how far once things got serious.

This in turn lead to some major projects such as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales_Fort
unfortunately hindsight showed that this was largely a wasted effort as trading events moved faster than construction.

Lastly...I would refer you to the following books for comparisions:
https://www.amazon.ca/Encyclopedia-Native-Tribes-North-America/dp/1554073073 This is the best resource I've been able to find to date for the complexity and number of different groups in North America...especially pre-contact boundaries.
https://www.amazon.ca/1491-Second-R...qid=1531688552&sr=1-1&keywords=charles+c+mann Probably on my 10th copy of this book but very good at illustrating what we don't know vs. what we think we know about North America especially pre-contact.

Hope this helps what is turning into an excellent timeline
foresterab

Chapter Two, Part Three: The High Heroic Period
Chapter Two, Part Three: The High Heroic Period, 607-620

By 607, there had been almost thirty years of competition between the Companies on the island. While this competition had been mostly expressed by the occasional fight over who controlled access to what bits of territory where fur was to be found. This violence claimed little more than a few lives, and was mostly the sort of violence expressed by men in a hardscrabble line of work. They were not the results of orders from higher authority.

In 607, however, tensions between the various petty Kings back in Ireland reached a boiling point. The upset of the balance caused by the fall of Dál Riata caused major shifts in political considerations. The money flowing from the fur encouraged Kings to spend excess funds on ensuring the loyalty of their warriors. Bands of men in Ireland traveled from kingdom to kingdom, advertising their strength and skill in a potential war. Ireland was beginning to tip towards war.

But war would not come to Ireland- it would come to the Insulam.

The cause was simple- the Kings of Ailech, bitter that the other kings of Ireland had done their best to elbow into “their” trade, encouraged their Company to do what it could to disrupt the efforts of the others present. This was done out of business considerations; by making a bad year for other Companies, perhaps a few extra profits would be made.

The Fánaithe of Ailech, interpreting these orders as a simple smash and grab, began to make an effort to locate and steal stashes of furs belonging to other companies. When this was discovered, it triggered outrage from the other Companies of Fánaithe. While the theft of furs was always a worry, it had generally been carried out by individuals, not on an organized scale.

Tensions continued to rise over 607, and spilled over during the winter. Almost every Fánaí lived in “Peace Town” for the winter, living off salted fish and confessing sins to the monks. Mostly however, they drank themselves silly in smoky and short-roofed taverns that were built by enterprising Measctha. Unfortunately, drink and anger do not mix.

One of the Fánaí of Ailech wandered into the wrong tavern, which was thronged by Fánaithe of Connacht. All was quiet for a while, until one man of Connacht began to bellow that the Ailech Fánaí had taken his furs personally. The man of Ailech gave as good as he got, but the others began to join in. Finally, a thread snapped. The men of Connacht grabbed the man of Ailech and dragged him, first from the tavern, next from the boundaries of Peace Town. Then, they clubbed him to death.

This event triggered a feud between the men of Ailech and the men of Connacht. The other Companies began to align themselves with one camp or another. Despite Ailech’s Company having raided the stashes of various others, the actions of the men of Connacht were seen as heinous by those that held slight affinity to the men of the North.

Violence soon became a way of life across the Insulam. Armed guards were posted at stashes that became more and more hidden (archaeologists, as recent as 2014, reported finding the remnants of some of the more remote ones). Raids on camps became increasingly common, and every Fánaí on the island walked while constantly looking over his shoulder for ambush.

Only in Peace Town could a Fánaí feel safe. After the murder that set off the whole conflagration, Abbot Totnan began to organize a more formal militia to keep the peace. Comprised almost entirely of Measctha, the militiamen patrolled the crowded lanes of Peace Town with spears and staves, beating any feuding Fánaithe over the head until they relented and paid the fine for breaking the peace (paid in pelts).

This was the time that later Irish poets and authors would write about- the so-called High Heroic Period. Tales would be told centuries later, glorifying and embellishing the knife fights in creeks and the random arrows in the woods. These would capture Irish imaginations, even long after the events retold within them.

At the time, the stories also captured Irish imaginations, but also Irish attentions. Over time, as the fighting in the island grew more and more violent and became more and more of a cycle of blood. The Fánaithe, red-blooded Irish trappers that they were, fell into the pattern of blood feud and conflict that had dominated the Emerald Isle for centuries. Soon, the men had forgotten almost entirely about the reason they were there and engaged in stratagems for war, blinded by a desire for revenge against those who wronged them.

That meant that, piece by piece, the fur trade on the island ground to a halt.

This was the opposite effect that the Kings of Ailech had wanted; this was the opposite effect that all of the petty Kings had wanted. This helped the Irish kings learn how much they truly appreciated the extra funds that the trade brought into their coffers. Orders sent via boat to the Companies failed to effectivly change the minds of the men on the Insulam. Often the couriers had to fight for berths; relatives of those killed on the island, adventurers, poets, and others were sailing to the Insulam to engage in the great contest.

By 620, the one thing all the kings could agree on was that the war on the Insulam had gone on for too long. Turning to the church, the kings petitioned for intervention from the bishops of the two great Christian centers of Armagh and Cashel (Ailech to Armagh, Connacht to Cashel). The two bishops talked to each other, agreeing that the fighting on the Insulam was pointless, as well as cutting into their donations from the less-rich coffers of the kings.

Therefore, in 620, the Bishop of Armagh, Congus, sailed to the Insulam for an ecclesiastical visit to Brendan’s Monastery. Upon arrival, he would call for the Companies to come to the monastery and sit down and talk.

This marked the highest extent of Irish control over the Insulam; it would also mark the end of the High Heroic Age. For the Bishop of Armagh sought to end the violence and restore the trade for the good of all in Ireland.

Last edited: