The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

Florida? That's very far south. Norse Nzinga she may be, but how does Bergthora hope to keep such a faraway kingdom in regular contact with the Old World? How, even, does she plan regular contact with Talbeah from that distance?

Florida? That's very far south. Norse Nzinga she may be, but how does Bergthora hope to keep such a faraway kingdom in regular contact with the Old World? How, even, does she plan regular contact with Talbeah from that distance?

There is an intermediary in the form of the Indian realm in OTL Virginia. That helps keep the distances relatively short, and helps ensure semi-consistent contact between the two European realms. If anything, this increases the role of that tribal kingdom, making it the “gateway to the South”.

Additionally, seeing that the OTL Vikings were able to maintain trading contacts with Baghdad (with infrequent contact as far as Khiva), the distances aren’t that great. Sure, a direct voyage would be a stretch, but by sticking to the coastline, it would be doable.

Still, yes, there will be some measure of isolation in the Southern realm, though not complete isolation as experienced during the Fanaithe period of settlement in Talbeah.

Nothing wrong with taking inspiration from a good game. Especially when it involves names that sound Norse enough to work here. That’s the obvious inspiration for the Nords to begin with.

I imagine the Floridian kingdom would use a Norseified version of a local tribe or chiefdom’s name.

Are said "dragons" alligators?

“Corporate has asked you to find the difference between these two pictures.”

74375843-39DD-48B5-B7F6-37CFC7BBF4E6.jpeg
63451D9B-83FF-4B4F-A479-0B5B12C99AA8.jpeg

“They’re the same picture.”

Came across this only lately. Interesting story.
However
1) you clearly never took Latin. :). 'Insulam de Benedictus' is way wrong. Firstly 'island' is 'insula', not 'insulam'. The later is the accusative form (object of a verb or some prepositions). Secondly, 'de', if it were used, would take the ablative, making it 'de Benedicto'. But one would normally expect the noun in the genitive, so 'Benedicti'.
Thirdly, what is 'Benedict' supposed to be? Is it a Latinized rendering of Brennan? If so, is it what he actually used at the time? If you are trying to make 'of the blessed', then 'beatorum' or possibly 'sanctorum', (genitive plural, since there's presumably more than one of them).

2) fur trading. Highly unlikely to be worth it then. Europe wasn't trapped out yet, so unlike a thousand years later, American furs just won't be that valuable. Especially given the fatality rates of crossing the Atlantic in a currach!!!

Came across this only lately. Interesting story.
However
1) you clearly never took Latin. :). 'Insulam de Benedictus' is way wrong. Firstly 'island' is 'insula', not 'insulam'. The later is the accusative form (object of a verb or some prepositions). Secondly, 'de', if it were used, would take the ablative, making it 'de Benedicto'. But one would normally expect the noun in the genitive, so 'Benedicti'.
Thirdly, what is 'Benedict' supposed to be? Is it a Latinized rendering of Brennan? If so, is it what he actually used at the time? If you are trying to make 'of the blessed', then 'beatorum' or possibly 'sanctorum', (genitive plural, since there's presumably more than one of them).

2) fur trading. Highly unlikely to be worth it then. Europe wasn't trapped out yet, so unlike a thousand years later, American furs just won't be that valuable. Especially given the fatality rates of crossing the Atlantic in a currach!!!
These concerns have been dealt with earlier in the thread. I switched from the Insulam Benedictus to the Insula Benedicta earlier in the thread (towards the end of the first chapter, perhaps?) which is a generally more correct term for what I was trying to convey.

Secondly, fur trading was still a profitable venture. At the point of the stories origin, the vast Russian steppe and taiga has yet to ge integrated into the European trading scheme (as it would startng in the 700s-800s) making furs still a valuable resource in the West of that continent. Additionally, trading goods such as walrus ivory and others came along.

Alright, so a few announcements:

First, we’ve been nominated for two Turtledoves! I am so appreciative of the support you guys have been giving this thread from the beginning! If you haven’t already, please support the thread in the Best Medieval (stickied in this forum) and Best POD (located in Non-Political Chat)!

Second, updates are coming down the pipeline. I’m going to hopefully finish Chapter Five this week, and then take a break from the progressing narrative to build up on what we have already learned about. So expect some cultural and social information posts!

Third, I appreciate the patience. I just got married at the beginning of the month and am going through all the great craziness associated with that. It’s been fun- my wife asks me every now and again “have you updated your story?” or “how many views do you have?”.

So stay tuned! Good stuff is coming!

Congratulations to both of you!
If you're like me when I got married, it'll be a while before you can say/type 'my wife' without pausing to smile at her - which is great :)

Also congratulations on the two nominations - you have my vote(s).

and mine
The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to the Present - Rognvald
77 vote(s)
33.5%

The Silver Knight, a Lithuania Timeline -Augenis
70 vote(s)
30.4%
Looks like you are in the lead.

And it looks like we probably clinched both. Thanks so much for the votes guys! That’s really exciting!!!!

Also the update I owed you last week is coming up tomorrow!