The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

It be interesting to see sporting in this TL.
The Irish might bring hurling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

They Indian might teach the Irish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse
The blending of the two sports would be utterly fascinating. They’re so similar in so many ways, but still so different in style, specifics, and traditions.

I can imagine:

“Oi, Earl, the natives are playing at hurling!”
“Oh, well that’s nice to see.”
“In the name of Brendan’s Prayer, what are they doing? Earl! There has to be about a hundred of them on that field!”
“I dunno if that’s hurling, Afric. Seems like they’re all dressed for war....
Oh. No, that’s... that’s hurling, innit. Or is it? Weird.”

Last edited:
The blending of the two sports would be utterly fascinating. They’re so similar in so many ways, but still so different in style, specifics, and traditions.

I can imagine:

“Oi, Earl, the natives are playing at hurling!”
“Oh, well that’s nice to see.”
“In the name of Brendan’s Prayer, what are they doing? Earl! There has to be about a hundred of them on that field!”
“I dunno if that’s hurling, Afric. Seems like they’re all dressed for war....
Oh. No, that’s... that’s hurling, innit. Or is it? Weird.”

indeed.
It could take some time to a just to the new games.
Just like when Sky Sport started covering GAA Sports

Last edited:
I read basically up to this point, I'm really really liking this TL. Very fresh, puts a good spin to alternate new world colonizations especially the earlier starting date. but I just want to let you know about a few things and comments...

1. Be aware that while right now things are opening, by the 1200s-1300s the medieval warm period will be over. Mainly due to climatic factors and the steady cooling of the planet. This is the main reason why the Norse settlements in Greenland collapsed, along with several native cultures if my J. Diamond memory serves correctly. Of course, this won't stop the Ostish from continuing to expand westward, but eventually there may be a point where the weather is so harsh that the new world will be cut off from the old world for a few hundred years.

2. The Ostish need to expand mainly due to population pressures in Scandinavia, given this I'm curious how much of their boating technology will be passed to Talbeah. I could very well see The Irish quickly borrowing these ship styles, mainly because they're hardy and also useful for trading in large rivers. If this is the case, and even if it isn't I could see Irish settling across the major great rivers of Canada and the eastern US. Following the patterns of early colonies in otl 1600s. I'll assume the St. Lawrence is first to be explored, then the Hudson, Susquehanna, Potomac, etc.

3. The population in the new world will only expand past this point. I don't see anything stopping them other than infighting and the increasing cold as the medieval warm period closes. Hell, this may lead to more environmental pressures for migrations by the Irish south. Down to more fertile and warmer regions and civilizations such as the Mississippian culture. These interactions will be great, I can just imagine sturdy Celtic mercenaries being introduced to the gates of Cahokia by an impatient and politically savvy chief surrounded by a curious native court. Be aware that the 500s were a period of collapse and rebirth in north america as the Hopewell culture only collapsed ~century before the arrival of the Irish. I've listed some of the civilizations our Gaelic friends will encounter/trade/work with:
1. Monongahela culture: western otl Pennsylvania around the start of the Ohio river, very similar to the Fort Ancients although they are further east, and even traded with some of the tribes of the mid-atlantic region.
2. Fort ancient: southern Ohio, direct descendants of the Hopewell cultures. by the 1000s they were still unpalisaded but relatively sedentary people.
3. ?Eastern Algonquians: They aren't a civilization per-se since they're more like nomadic villages that break apart if the situation means so.

@AlternateEagle Good points on the climate change and the native Americas they might encounter.

I wonder how long before the Irish start using boats like this made
Galway-Hooker-Bad-Mor-1024x683.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway_hooker

Galway Hooker Heads To New York 1986
For years Galway hookers have brought turf from this point in in Cuan Chasla to the Aran Islands. The Clíona, while built in 1981 is just like the ordinary turf hookers of old. She will be the first boat of this kind to do a non-stop trip across the Atlantic Ocean to New York.

The hooker has a crew of five and they face five or six weeks together in a cramped space. Crew member Pádraic de Bhaldraithe sees this as his biggest challenge,
https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0601/792558-galway-hooker-cliona-to-cross-atlantic/

They may get or copy viking boats.

Knarr-The-Oldest-Norse-Merchant-Ship.jpg

The ship on average was around 16 meters and a beam of 5 meters. It could carry up to 24 tons and if compared to the cog the difference is huge. But it was mostly used to transport various goods like wool, timber, wheat, furs, etc. It was also used as a supply for food or support the warriors or traders that went on long expeditions. Various livestock was carried on these ships so it could be transported to the colonies of Iceland, Greenland and Vinland.
https://about-history.com/knarr-the-oldest-norse-merchant-ship/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knarr

Should be a step up from this
Curragh-Brendan0001.jpg

I cannot see then using this one.
01baker-obit-1-articleLarge.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl

Last edited:
Just to let y’all know, I am working on the next update. It should drop sometime this coming week.

I also wanted to say Happy New Year to you all! Thanks for sticking with this, despite its erratic update schedule!

Don't worry about the erratic updates - we know it takes time to translate all these documents from the original Irish/Fanaithe/Meascthan/Ostish/Afonbren/etc :cool:.

Happy New Year / Bliadhna Mhath Ur to you too!

Chapter Five, Part Two: Expanded Connections
Chapter Five, Part Two: Expanded Connections, 1045-1055 A.D.

Bolverk was not much like his father. While Arvid Far-Seeker was more than willing to sit down and wade through the “boring” business of government, Bolverk possessed an active personality that made him naturally seek to avoid this in favor of hunts, voyages, or skirmishes. This won Bolverk much support from younger men, though his father’s old advisors were worried he would bring down the realm. Luckily for them, Bolverk had a sister, Grelod, who was Bolverk’s opposite. She was more than happy to conduct the day-to-day mundane business, and Bolverk was more than happy to let her do so. This saw some grumbling from the nobility, but Grelod was a capable administrator and Bolverk was more than willing to beat any man that insinuated he was being led around by a woman’s skirts.

The first major activity of Bolverk was the formal expansion of trade along the Talbeahan coastline. While informal contact had been made with tribes along the Atlantic seaboard for years, there had not been a stronger effort to integrate the tribes here into the trading system. This would change when Bolverk would sail south in 1047, overseeing the establishment of a trading post at the mouth of the Bucks River [1] to facilitate the expansion of commercial interests south.

The tribes along the coastline were ready for this integration into the system of trade as well. The coasts had been at the tail-end of the Blade Trade for years, with more well-equipped tribes in the interior launching raids against them, forcing them to form fortified, palisades communities. These proto-city states would be more than willing to trade what goods they had for weapons directly from the source, allowing them a stronger defense against the raiders.

While trade with these settlements would be somewhat profitable, the more potent discovery was made further South. In the warmer tidewater region [2], the furthest South (formally) any European had yet gone, the Paqwachowng were encountered. This tribal kingdom was crafted by the effects of European interactions, though that would not be fully understood for centuries. The tribes on the coasts that had not adopted the palisade strategy had migrated South to avoid raids, encountering and disrupting the ways of life of tribes in this region. Occasional contacts with the Blade Trade would create temporary wealth disparities, kicking off conflicts that eventually resulted in the “centralization” of power into the Paqwachowng realm.

These tribesmen were ferocious, with their men focused on warfare and the hunt, and with the women focused on farming and gathering. Among the crops that were grown by these native females was the much desired oyangwa, which was a major export to Europe, where even the Frankish Emperor had taken to smoking the thick-rolled herb. Oyangwa had been nearly exclusively gained by the European traders through the intermediaries of the Afonbren, but the lands of that Confederation were not very conducive to the growth of that herb. This shifted the oyangwa trade south, ending the Afonbreni monopoly on that commodity.

Not that those tribesmen minded very much- they were in possession of large stocks of maple, which was able to compete effectively with the sugar tax enforced by the grandees within the Kingdom. In fact, the Afonbren in this decade were riding high from the success of the newly forged European connections. Growth of trade with the Old World, as well as the growing demand there for maple sugar, saw silver and iron flow into the Confederation in unprecedented numbers.

However, this trade did not benefit the members of the Afonbren Confederation equally. This new wealth was heavily concentrated in the hands of the Christian trading class and their Iohristani allies. With wealth came power, and this power threatened the traditional balance of authority in the Afonbreni lands. The traditional chiefdoms that made up the Confederation did not mesh well with the increasingly emboldened Christian merchants. The traditional leadership was afraid of losing their authority, as well as growing increasingly concerned with the development of Christianity among their ranks. What had once been a sort of tolerated curiosity began to be perceived as a threat to the Afonbren way of life.

This marked the development of the first anti-Christian movement in the New World, the so-called “Wind Lodge” (Kanónhsa ówera) as the sources close to the time label it. While earlier works painted it as a “fearful heathen response to the triumph of the Cross”, as Volkert Smied put it in The Conquest of the West, putting all sorts of crimes and dark ceremonies to the hands of the Wind Lodge. More modern analysis, however, suggests that the Wind Lodge was more a sort of “protective society”, to prevent the exploitation of non-Christians and the preservation of the role of the chiefs in the Cofnederation. One modern historian even contends that the term Wind Lodge itself is inaccurate, holding that there was no central organized body as suggested in earlier works, and it was a European/Christian appellation to various, semi-related groups throughout the Confederation.

Whatever the case, religious tensions and disputes over power continued to grow among the Afonbren, even in the face of such new wealth. By the end of the decade, the simmering pot had begun to boil over, and the power-dynamic in Northeastern Talbeah would never be the same…

[1]- OTL Penobscot River

[2]- OTL Chesapeake Bay

Last edited:
Nice work.
I imagine the first use of Oyangwa for smoking would be with a pipe.
220px-Chute_tobacco.JPG

I could see this being popular with the indians

Irish Hobby
This quick and agile horse was also popular for skirmishing, and was often ridden by light cavalry known as Hobelars. Hobbies were used successfully by both sides during the Wars of Scottish Independence, with Edward I of England trying to gain advantage by preventing Irish exports of the horses to Scotland. Robert Bruce employed the hobby for his guerrilla warfare and mounted raids, covering 60 to 70 miles (97 to 113 km) a day.[4]

The breed is the origin of the term hobby horse.[3]. A common Irish phrase associated with the term is "go get on your hobby horse", which is an idiom to complain about a subject, topic, or issue in which one is excessively interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Hobby

Last edited:
Instresting I thought he would have gone done the length of the the Great Lakes to Lake Superior then to the saint criox or setting up a trading settlement in Duluth

Chapter Five, Part Two: Expanded Connections, 1045-1055 A.D.
It’s back!

I wonder what this brewing conflict will mean for the future of the colony-kingdom. Maybe increased Christianizations as people search for hope? The Norse pagan religions tend to be very fatalistic, so maybe the new mission combined with an intense upspike in violent death and poverty would be enough to really get the ball rolling on conversions. And persecution of pagans from an emboldened Christian government could push the pagans further south or inland.....

But only Rognvald can say!

Last edited: