The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

Congratulations! A very interesting timeline and enjoyable to read. Very deserving of a book.

Setraland seems to have lost a lot of its initial advantages, but I suspect the cultural relations with Europe will allow it to replace quality with quantity. Securing Ohio, even if it is passed the Niagara Falls, gives them a good base for future economic development and river routes to spread their influence throughout the continent. Assuming the complicated nature of the realm doesn't bring it apart.

I think the Viking longship design was important for making Dun Cormac/Montreal viable versus Fhearga/Quebec City, but when the age of sail arrives I think Fhearga will end up as the greater port and economic centre like Quebec originally. Quebec came from the Algonquin word for “narrow passage” which made it hard for large sailing ships to push up the river. The Age of Steam, plus an easier southern connection, allowed Montreal to overtake Quebec City.

The Longship might ironically give Setraland an advantage on the great lakes, having the superior naval force. Eventually though that might be lost as the first nations can be quite adaptive. I do wonder if 'Hudson Bay' has been found yet, either by wanderers or monks seeking solitude, but I guess the ice will keep them away for now.

Random question for Africa, but since Ismaili is not as missionary Islam and 'Carthage' is christian, what happened there? I suppose if there is a Mansa Musa equivalent they can't go on the Hajji. Maybe if you want to throw in more cultures a ruler gets the sweet tooth for the sweets from across the sea and sends an expedition west. That might be more silly though.
Thank you! A lot of good observations there.

There was a Christian equivilant to Mansa Musa. The Guide will go more in depth, but the Gaelicians had a lot of fun going along the Western Coast of Africa.

Presumably we won't receive any answers until you've worked out the Guide, but seeing as how I've been on an early Islam bender these past three days I'm super curious about the origins of Ismailism.

You've alluded to its more Jewish-influenced nature, but what is meant by this exactly? Should we take from this that it is more Jewish influenced insofar as it was literally founded by the Jewish Arabian tribes, or even coming directly out of the kingdom of Himyar? An origin within Himyar makes sense considering the special ire the Ismailities seem to direct towards the Ethiopians, but it feels difficult to see it successfully co-opting the Arab Migrations unless it emerges from the marginal regions of Arabia Deserta.

And how does this Jewish influence play out exactly? Islam is already very Jewishly influenced (unitary God, maintenance of many Old Testament rules and regulations). Do the Ismailities reject Jesus as a prophet? Is it literally just Judaism, just with an exegesis of the Old Testament largely independent of the Hebrew/Rabbincal tradition? Or does it have its own novel scripture similar to the Quran?

Is the right way to look at Ismailism in line with Patricia Crone's Hagarene Hypothesis, essentially just a Jewish Messianic movement with Arabs in place of Jews?

Presumably we won't receive any answers until you've worked out the Guide, but seeing as how I've been on an early Islam bender these past three days I'm super curious about the origins of Ismailism.

You've alluded to its more Jewish-influenced nature, but what is meant by this exactly? Should we take from this that it is more Jewish influenced insofar as it was literally founded by the Jewish Arabian tribes, or even coming directly out of the kingdom of Himyar? An origin within Himyar makes sense considering the special ire the Ismailities seem to direct towards the Ethiopians, but it feels difficult to see it successfully co-opting the Arab Migrations unless it emerges from the marginal regions of Arabia Deserta.

And how does this Jewish influence play out exactly? Islam is already very Jewishly influenced (unitary God, maintenance of many Old Testament rules and regulations). Do the Ismailities reject Jesus as a prophet? Is it literally just Judaism, just with an exegesis of the Old Testament largely independent of the Hebrew/Rabbincal tradition? Or does it have its own novel scripture similar to the Quran?

Is the right way to look at Ismailism in line with Patricia Crone's Hagarene Hypothesis, essentially just a Jewish Messianic movement with Arabs in place of Jews?
Honestly, Ismailism is one of the top items on the docket for a “rework.” The current build is “semi-Messianic Arabian Judaism,” but that’s subject to change.

can you explain their belief system
Right now, not really, since they were always secondary to the main plot and what notes I did have I am reworking (especially the near caste system I wrote about earlier this year). Presently I am working with the idea they worship the God of Abraham and Ishmael, holding that the Children of Ishmael are God’s chosen, as opposed to the Children of Isaac who lost their birthright, but all of this is subject to change.

Last edited:
Right now, not really, since they were always secondary to the main plot and what notes I did have I am reworking (especially the near caste system I wrote about earlier this year). Presently I am working with the idea they worship the God of Abraham and Ishmael, holding that the Children of Ishmael are God’s chosen, as opposed to the Children of Isaac who lost their birthright, but all of this is subject to change.
So your going to make some post explaining their religious beliefs

Honestly, Ismailism is one of the top items on the docket for a “rework.” The current build is “semi-Messianic Arabian Judaism,” but that’s subject to change.

Have you looked into the history of Himyar and Rahmanan? This might give you some ideas and inspiration to go off of when crafting Ismailism or its replacement.

I just started this timeline having found out about the voyages of Brendan at the weekend and had it recommended by @ramones1986

Only on page 8, but enjoying it a lot. I am hoping Ireland also colonises Iceland and Greenland, spreading their versionof the Church to those lands. Though Iceland has barely come up, I do hope it plays a role, esp since it it the 'stepping stone' to the Atlantic.

I just started this timeline having found out about the voyages of Brendan at the weekend and had it recommended by @ramones1986

Only on page 8, but enjoying it a lot. I am hoping Ireland also colonises Iceland and Greenland, spreading their versionof the Church to those lands. Though Iceland has barely come up, I do hope it plays a role, esp since it it the 'stepping stone' to the Atlantic.
Thanks for those words! Glad you’re enjoying it!