The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

Ficboy

Banned
It's funny you would mention a short novel... (oooh, myseterious)

That's definitely something I agree with. I've even confused myself sometimes. The in universe name of the Amazon River, for example, changed because I forgot I had previously named it... Yeah. So the sequel will have a threadmarked glossary.

Speaking of, would y'all prefer me to have a second thread, or just continue with this one? I'd probably just straight up rename it "The Legacy of Saint Brendan" (the thread).
Let's hope you can continue this timeline and publish it as a book.

How well known is the New World in Europe?
It depends where in Europe you are (and how much dealing you have with the New World), but people know broad strokes. Like, there is an “Asgard” and a “Setraland”, etc., but maps are still kinda wonky as are details on the myriad native powers.

maps are still kinda wonky
That's to be expected. 15th and 16th century maps of the New World (or world maps showing it) were definitely 'wonky' by modern standards*. See here or here for examples. And that's after another couple of centuries of advances in cartography and related skills. So I'd expect 14th century maps ITTL to be even less 'accurate' than those OTL ones.
*That's not to downplay the skills of the cartographers at the time - they did some great work with the limited knowledge and tools they had.

That's to be expected. 15th and 16th century maps of the New World (or world maps showing it) were definitely 'wonky' by modern standards*. See here or here for examples. And that's after another couple of centuries of advances in cartography and related skills. So I'd expect 14th century maps ITTL to be even less 'accurate' than those OTL ones.
*That's not to downplay the skills of the cartographers at the time - they did some great work with the limited knowledge and tools they had.
Maps have a purpose, and a lot of choices go into what to portray which relates to how as well. Looking at a 15th century portolan map, we pretty well recognize the kind of detail we'd expect today--in the matter of coasts. That's what the map was for, helping a ship reach a port safely.

Certainly a lot of fundamental science of cartography has advanced; if one intends to portray all equal areas an equal area on the map, nowadays we have the math to do it right. If we intend a map where all straight lines on the map correspond to a great circle on the Earth we make a gnomonic projection--which actually was one of the first projections developed back in classical Hellenic days, to be honest. But it looks quite Lovecraftian and has never been favored much; in just about every other respect except the fact that a straight line you draw from one point to another is "as the crow flies," it sucks. So we don't see a lot of gnomonic projections; when an airline wants to show you its air routes from some central hub they might choose an azimuthial projection (any of many, the term refers to the fact the map is centered on a chosen point) and draw the routes radially. No other straight lines are great circles but they don't care about that; if they make it azimuthial equidistant, then the length of the radial lines corresponds to nautical mile distance. But in my experience they are more likely to make a rectangular map reminiscent of a Mercator and just draw the air routes as conceptual arcs. It depends on the purpose of the map, what we do with it, and how much we bother with exacting accuracy--even when we are pretty easily capable of it, we might not always want it.

Maps have a purpose, and a lot of choices go into what to portray which relates to how as well. Looking at a 15th century portolan map, we pretty well recognize the kind of detail we'd expect today--in the matter of coasts. That's what the map was for, helping a ship reach a port safely.

Certainly a lot of fundamental science of cartography has advanced; if one intends to portray all equal areas an equal area on the map, nowadays we have the math to do it right. If we intend a map where all straight lines on the map correspond to a great circle on the Earth we make a gnomonic projection--which actually was one of the first projections developed back in classical Hellenic days, to be honest. But it looks quite Lovecraftian and has never been favored much; in just about every other respect except the fact that a straight line you draw from one point to another is "as the crow flies," it sucks. So we don't see a lot of gnomonic projections; when an airline wants to show you its air routes from some central hub they might choose an azimuthial projection (any of many, the term refers to the fact the map is centered on a chosen point) and draw the routes radially. No other straight lines are great circles but they don't care about that; if they make it azimuthial equidistant, then the length of the radial lines corresponds to nautical mile distance. But in my experience they are more likely to make a rectangular map reminiscent of a Mercator and just draw the air routes as conceptual arcs. It depends on the purpose of the map, what we do with it, and how much we bother with exacting accuracy--even when we are pretty easily capable of it, we might not always want it.
Fully agree - the utility of a map depends on its purpose. There's no point using a London tube map to plan a walking tour round the city, after all, nor would I want to use nautical charts to plan a rail trip, to take a somewhat ridiculous example. But to most people who don't know anything about cartography or navigation, and certainly not about the benefits/drawbacks of particular map projections, old maps tend to be looked at with the attitude of 'doesn't that look weird, it doesn't even show ABC and XYZ is the wrong shape.' That's why I put 'wonky' and 'accurate' in inverted commas above, not because I think the maps were inherently incorrect as drawn. Personally, I'm in awe of the detail in many old (and even ancient) maps. The Peutinger Map is simply amazing, to take an even older example.

But I've derailed Rognvald's thread enough - apologies!

All of this talk about maps got me a little too excited!

The Leggacy of St Brendan.png

So far as I can tell, there have been no large-scale maps, just maps of Setraland. So I tried to make this which should roughly show the extent of the various societies at the start of the new part of the timeline. So lets go through it.

Setraland: This came out fairly well. Originally I intended to mark out the various regions (Lesser Setraland (which I think is a more reasonable name for Newfoundland than Setraland Island keeping with geographic tradition), Gryttyrland, Wabahhanik, Tullaha, *Toronto, and Ohiyo. Ultimately I decided since these aren't really political units/duchies it wouldn't really be useful, and I'm not ready to take on the task of attempting to map out all of the political complexities of the realm or even just breaking it down to the Jarl level. So we're left with a big blue blob that doesn't really capture the massive diversity of Setraland. The northern border is a little wonky, though this isn't a real problem since I'm sure it is ill-defined in reality. The Ohiyo zone of influence is a little speculative - it's not depicted on the map, but I imagined most of the Ohiyoan duchies must be in this region so they are in a state of influence/vassalage from proper Setralander settlement.

Lenape: Little more speculative. Again I originally wanted to delineate tribal boundaries but decided against it. On the map of Setraland the border appeared to be set on the Hudson, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since I feel like that's not really a viable border but there you go. I was unsure what to do with the territory between the Lenape and the Setralanders - in the map of Setraland the strip of settlement is very thing along Lake Erie, so the natural assumption would be it's Lenape Land. But then, that doesn't really seem like a viable border, it seems as though the Lenape would overrun the Erie settlement. Add to that that during the Lenape wars, the Setralanders had to trail blaze through upstate New York north of Saratoga, suggesting this was more or less wild unsettled land. Ultimately I decided it was largely tribal land under Lenape influence, though I could see it being under Setralander influence or outright Lenape control. I also had the Lenape push further down into Virginia and the Delaware peninsula, reasoning that they profited off the fall of Paqwachowng. I also gave them some Appalachian influence as remnants of their efforts to woo the Ohiyo Country, though I could see this being more extensive. Outright control in Pennsylvania may go too far.

Paqwachowng: Obviously severely reduced, though not sure how much it should be - total disappearance seems unlikely since it contains at least two major population centers (Youghtanund and Attaangwassuwk), but maybe. Exactly how much its been lessened by I'm uncertain, it may be way less.

*Muskogee: Obviously highly speculative since we haven't heard much about them, but this feels like a reasonable map. Not sure exactly how far south they go, which brings me to...

Asgard: Not great here. The TL never really makes how much/what territory they control outright - Eastern Florida is pretty certain, but beyond that its muddy, and not sure how much that muddy status would change by 1400, so I've given them most of the region outright. We basically have no idea the extent of control in the Caribbean, so I just gave the whole thing plus Guyana to their influence with a smattering of outright colonies. Free Counties a little bit ill defined, but whatever on that front. Gave them an outpost in Mobile and the one mentioned at the mouth of the Mississippi. Generally I feel like we need to hear more about the history and specific details of Asgard, its felt kind of brushed over to me since its introduction in just about every way.

Zhingobiiwaatig: We don't know much about them so I just gave them the whole peninsula.

K'omani: Basically just copy-pasted Moundbuilder maps with a few alterations. Probably OK for the most part. Though again, I should like to hear a lot more about the K'omani.

-Fjorthramerica: Probably overdid it a bit with the extent of the *Tarascan empire which I assume will be ascendant by 1400. It definitely doesn't have that much central control. Mayapan is probably fine.

-Added a pacific North-West culture since its been alluded to.

-Added the Oasisamerican cultures since they'd probably exist. Probably not accurate, trade networks have probably created several state level societies throughout the deserts but we haven't heard about them.

-Added the Muisca since I figure they'd exist.

-My one little addition that is decidedly non-canon is the Upper Peninsula culture. Based on conversations I've recently had where I argue that that region represents a really excellent Mississippi-peripheral culture for the development of both bronze working and iron working due to prodigious iron/copper deposits, being not so far from the Canadian Copper Complex, and easy access to Bog Iron. The "Ironwood Culture" here is not a singular political entity, but a series of independent chiefdoms that have specialized in massive metal production and exportation.

Next, a few questions/notes for the future.

-Is there a name for the coasts of the Bay of St. Peter (essentially northern New Brunswick around Costa Dhearg, Gaspe, Nuandu's Isle? Feels like it would be distinct from Gryttyrland. Talbeah would make sense as a name but that applies to North America as a whole.
-Was Youghtanund originally a Setralander settlement? What's it like by 1400? In general, I'd like to hear more about it.
-What is the total population of Setraland? A couple hundred thousand seems reasonable.
-Whats the religious scene like in Lenape? Indigenous, Christian, Ahonist?
-Like above, how far has Ahonism penetrated beyond the Virginia tidewater if at all? Are the *Muskogee going to end up adherents?
-Are there major settlements on Lesser Setraland than Frithrborg?
-Has a major settlement been established on Mana-hatta?
-Worth noting that most of the Greenlanders probably end up re-settling in Setraland once it becomes inhospitable - lot more prospects there than Iceland or even Norway. Tat may be up to 20,000 people, which is no small potatoes in Talbeah.

Finally, I made a compendium of all the place names I could find. Probably missing a few.

Afonbren: Confederation of native peoples along the St. Lawrence. Call themselves the TeKaienwa.
Asgard: OTL Florida. Called Mirwick in Anglish.
Attaangwassuwk: Largest city of the Paqwachowng.
Bay of St. Peter: OTL Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Bolverkstead: A settlement on the southern coast of Gryttrland, closer to the region of general population of the coastal and woodland tribes.
Briethr: OTL Cleveland.
Bucks River: OTL Penobscott.
Chesepiook Bay: OTL Chesapeake
Cósta Dhearg: OTL Shipaggan, first permanent outpost on continental North America. Held by the Cernaig Company prior to Owain's conquest, when it passed to the Imchada company. Name means Red Coast. Formerly Three Pines.
Chicomoztoc: OTL Oasisamerica
Dun Cormac: OTL Montreal.
Fhearga: OTL Quebec City.
Fjorthhrland: OTL Meso America. Means "Feather Land."
Five Lakes: OTL Great Lakes.
Free Counties: The settlements established by Asgardian mercenaries along the Amazon.
Frithrborg: Peace Town.
Graí: OTL Toronto.
Gryttyrland - OTL Northern Maine/New Brunswick. Means "Stony Land." Ruled by a Jarl.
Ingunsland: OTL Bermuda. Discovered by an Asgardian trader blown off course, used to bypass the Pawachowng.
Insula Benedicta: OTL Newfoundland. Also called Ynys Gybi (The Holy Island) in Cumbraek.
Keshigu: OTL South America. From native "Land of Great River."
Kikadit River: OTL Mississippi.
K'omani: OTL Cahokia.
Lake Cullaun: OTL Lake Erie.
Lake Kinale: OTL Lake Huron.
Manna-hata: OTL Manhattan. Capital of the Lenape.
Mishta River: OTL Churchill River. Boundary of Setraland and the Inuit following the Inuit Conquests.
Neshnabé Peninsula: OTL Michigan.
Nuadu's Island: OTL Anticosti. It hosts Rinenn, one of the early trading hubs.
Ohiyo: OTL Ohio.
Paqwachowng: Tribal kingdom on the OTL Chesapeake.
Patawomke River: OTL Potomac. Set as the border between the Lenape and
Pawu: OTL Marajo.
Rineen: Early trading hub. Located on Nuadu's Island (OTL Anticosti)
Sea of Lukkai: OTL Carribbean.
Talbeáh: Roughly Labrador/coast opposite Newfoundland. Derived from Terra Ursus. Also called Arthir in Cumbraek. Also called Setraland in Ostish.
Thvait: OTL Boston.
Towosaghy: OTL Cairo, roughly.
Tullaha: St. Lawrence River.
Vithian Ocean: OTL Pacific
Wabahhanik: OTL New England north of the Long Island Sound, roughly. Micmaq for "Dawnlands."
Ya'hi River: OTL Santee River. Furthest extent of the Paqwachowng.
Youghtanund: Large city of the Paqwachowng.
Zhingobiiwaatig Ningodwasswi: A state occupying OTL Northern Michigan, roughly. Name means "Six Pines."

All of this talk about maps got me a little too excited!

View attachment 594682

So far as I can tell, there have been no large-scale maps, just maps of Setraland. So I tried to make this which should roughly show the extent of the various societies at the start of the new part of the timeline. So lets go through it.

Setraland: This came out fairly well. Originally I intended to mark out the various regions (Lesser Setraland (which I think is a more reasonable name for Newfoundland than Setraland Island keeping with geographic tradition), Gryttyrland, Wabahhanik, Tullaha, *Toronto, and Ohiyo. Ultimately I decided since these aren't really political units/duchies it wouldn't really be useful, and I'm not ready to take on the task of attempting to map out all of the political complexities of the realm or even just breaking it down to the Jarl level. So we're left with a big blue blob that doesn't really capture the massive diversity of Setraland. The northern border is a little wonky, though this isn't a real problem since I'm sure it is ill-defined in reality. The Ohiyo zone of influence is a little speculative - it's not depicted on the map, but I imagined most of the Ohiyoan duchies must be in this region so they are in a state of influence/vassalage from proper Setralander settlement.

Lenape: Little more speculative. Again I originally wanted to delineate tribal boundaries but decided against it. On the map of Setraland the border appeared to be set on the Hudson, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since I feel like that's not really a viable border but there you go. I was unsure what to do with the territory between the Lenape and the Setralanders - in the map of Setraland the strip of settlement is very thing along Lake Erie, so the natural assumption would be it's Lenape Land. But then, that doesn't really seem like a viable border, it seems as though the Lenape would overrun the Erie settlement. Add to that that during the Lenape wars, the Setralanders had to trail blaze through upstate New York north of Saratoga, suggesting this was more or less wild unsettled land. Ultimately I decided it was largely tribal land under Lenape influence, though I could see it being under Setralander influence or outright Lenape control. I also had the Lenape push further down into Virginia and the Delaware peninsula, reasoning that they profited off the fall of Paqwachowng. I also gave them some Appalachian influence as remnants of their efforts to woo the Ohiyo Country, though I could see this being more extensive. Outright control in Pennsylvania may go too far.

Paqwachowng: Obviously severely reduced, though not sure how much it should be - total disappearance seems unlikely since it contains at least two major population centers (Youghtanund and Attaangwassuwk), but maybe. Exactly how much its been lessened by I'm uncertain, it may be way less.

*Muskogee: Obviously highly speculative since we haven't heard much about them, but this feels like a reasonable map. Not sure exactly how far south they go, which brings me to...

Asgard: Not great here. The TL never really makes how much/what territory they control outright - Eastern Florida is pretty certain, but beyond that its muddy, and not sure how much that muddy status would change by 1400, so I've given them most of the region outright. We basically have no idea the extent of control in the Caribbean, so I just gave the whole thing plus Guyana to their influence with a smattering of outright colonies. Free Counties a little bit ill defined, but whatever on that front. Gave them an outpost in Mobile and the one mentioned at the mouth of the Mississippi. Generally I feel like we need to hear more about the history and specific details of Asgard, its felt kind of brushed over to me since its introduction in just about every way.

Zhingobiiwaatig: We don't know much about them so I just gave them the whole peninsula.

K'omani: Basically just copy-pasted Moundbuilder maps with a few alterations. Probably OK for the most part. Though again, I should like to hear a lot more about the K'omani.

-Fjorthramerica: Probably overdid it a bit with the extent of the *Tarascan empire which I assume will be ascendant by 1400. It definitely doesn't have that much central control. Mayapan is probably fine.

-Added a pacific North-West culture since its been alluded to.

-Added the Oasisamerican cultures since they'd probably exist. Probably not accurate, trade networks have probably created several state level societies throughout the deserts but we haven't heard about them.

-Added the Muisca since I figure they'd exist.

-My one little addition that is decidedly non-canon is the Upper Peninsula culture. Based on conversations I've recently had where I argue that that region represents a really excellent Mississippi-peripheral culture for the development of both bronze working and iron working due to prodigious iron/copper deposits, being not so far from the Canadian Copper Complex, and easy access to Bog Iron. The "Ironwood Culture" here is not a singular political entity, but a series of independent chiefdoms that have specialized in massive metal production and exportation.

Next, a few questions/notes for the future.

-Is there a name for the coasts of the Bay of St. Peter (essentially northern New Brunswick around Costa Dhearg, Gaspe, Nuandu's Isle? Feels like it would be distinct from Gryttyrland. Talbeah would make sense as a name but that applies to North America as a whole.
-Was Youghtanund originally a Setralander settlement? What's it like by 1400? In general, I'd like to hear more about it.
-What is the total population of Setraland? A couple hundred thousand seems reasonable.
-Whats the religious scene like in Lenape? Indigenous, Christian, Ahonist?
-Like above, how far has Ahonism penetrated beyond the Virginia tidewater if at all? Are the *Muskogee going to end up adherents?
-Are there major settlements on Lesser Setraland than Frithrborg?
-Has a major settlement been established on Mana-hatta?
-Worth noting that most of the Greenlanders probably end up re-settling in Setraland once it becomes inhospitable - lot more prospects there than Iceland or even Norway. Tat may be up to 20,000 people, which is no small potatoes in Talbeah.

Finally, I made a compendium of all the place names I could find. Probably missing a few.

Afonbren: Confederation of native peoples along the St. Lawrence. Call themselves the TeKaienwa.
Asgard: OTL Florida. Called Mirwick in Anglish.
Attaangwassuwk: Largest city of the Paqwachowng.
Bay of St. Peter: OTL Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Bolverkstead: A settlement on the southern coast of Gryttrland, closer to the region of general population of the coastal and woodland tribes.
Briethr: OTL Cleveland.
Bucks River: OTL Penobscott.
Chesepiook Bay: OTL Chesapeake
Cósta Dhearg: OTL Shipaggan, first permanent outpost on continental North America. Held by the Cernaig Company prior to Owain's conquest, when it passed to the Imchada company. Name means Red Coast. Formerly Three Pines.
Chicomoztoc: OTL Oasisamerica
Dun Cormac: OTL Montreal.
Fhearga: OTL Quebec City.
Fjorthhrland: OTL Meso America. Means "Feather Land."
Five Lakes: OTL Great Lakes.
Free Counties: The settlements established by Asgardian mercenaries along the Amazon.
Frithrborg: Peace Town.
Graí: OTL Toronto.
Gryttyrland - OTL Northern Maine/New Brunswick. Means "Stony Land." Ruled by a Jarl.
Ingunsland: OTL Bermuda. Discovered by an Asgardian trader blown off course, used to bypass the Pawachowng.
Insula Benedicta: OTL Newfoundland. Also called Ynys Gybi (The Holy Island) in Cumbraek.
Keshigu: OTL South America. From native "Land of Great River."
Kikadit River: OTL Mississippi.
K'omani: OTL Cahokia.
Lake Cullaun: OTL Lake Erie.
Lake Kinale: OTL Lake Huron.
Manna-hata: OTL Manhattan. Capital of the Lenape.
Mishta River: OTL Churchill River. Boundary of Setraland and the Inuit following the Inuit Conquests.
Neshnabé Peninsula: OTL Michigan.
Nuadu's Island: OTL Anticosti. It hosts Rinenn, one of the early trading hubs.
Ohiyo: OTL Ohio.
Paqwachowng: Tribal kingdom on the OTL Chesapeake.
Patawomke River: OTL Potomac. Set as the border between the Lenape and
Pawu: OTL Marajo.
Rineen: Early trading hub. Located on Nuadu's Island (OTL Anticosti)
Sea of Lukkai: OTL Carribbean.
Talbeáh: Roughly Labrador/coast opposite Newfoundland. Derived from Terra Ursus. Also called Arthir in Cumbraek. Also called Setraland in Ostish.
Thvait: OTL Boston.
Towosaghy: OTL Cairo, roughly.
Tullaha: St. Lawrence River.
Vithian Ocean: OTL Pacific
Wabahhanik: OTL New England north of the Long Island Sound, roughly. Micmaq for "Dawnlands."
Ya'hi River: OTL Santee River. Furthest extent of the Paqwachowng.
Youghtanund: Large city of the Paqwachowng.
Zhingobiiwaatig Ningodwasswi: A state occupying OTL Northern Michigan, roughly. Name means "Six Pines."
Holy...

Thanks so much, my man. That’s really awesome work! Much better than my thrown together maps. How long did it take you?

Consider the Upper Peninsula canon!

Those questions of yours also are good. I’ve been going more “broad strokes”, but those are important things to ask. I‘ll try to clarify them.

Thanks again!

Announcement: The Next Steps...
Hey all!

As I continue to work on the sequel project to A Legacy of St Brendan I find myself encountering a mesh of lore and information I wrote over the past two years that I need to piece together. Additionally, some aspects of the world outside the Hemisphere (Europe, the Ismailis, etc.) feels like it’s lacking depth or, uh... seems like stuff I wrote on the fly. Reviewing my work as catalogued on that map also makes me think about the sometimes confusing terminology I’ve utilized.

So! If y’all are interested, I think I will create a Traveler’s Guide to Talbeah and Keshigu, in an effort to help me wrap my head around EVERYTHING, as well as help y’all keep track of things and navigate my confusing prose. This agreeable?

Hey all!

As I continue to work on the sequel project to A Legacy of St Brendan I find myself encountering a mesh of lore and information I wrote over the past two years that I need to piece together. Additionally, some aspects of the world outside the Hemisphere (Europe, the Ismailis, etc.) feels like it’s lacking depth or, uh... seems like stuff I wrote on the fly. Reviewing my work as catalogued on that map also makes me think about the sometimes confusing terminology I’ve utilized.

So! If y’all are interested, I think I will create a Traveler’s Guide to Talbeah and Keshigu, in an effort to help me wrap my head around EVERYTHING, as well as help y’all keep track of things and navigate my confusing prose. This agreeable?

That's a great idea! And I totally know the struggle - my own timeline has taken over seven years to write and so there's just so much material to go through (especially considering my love of foreshadowing). Best of luck, and I'd love to see a Traveler's Guide written in-universe to really compile the information at hand and expand on the world a bit :D

That’s an excellent idea! It would help both you and the readers keep track of things. Especially in a timeline like this which diverges so early and as a result has so many different place polities, languages, ethnicities, location names, and general differences from OTL, I think a thing like that is always very useful.

Special Announcement: The Legacy of Saint Brendan is now on Amazon!
Greetings and salutations!

I am pleased to announce that, thanks to the generous folks at the SeaLion Press, The Legacy of Saint Brendan (part one) is now available for purchase on Amazon!

This Amazon edition contains 163 pages of content, comprising the main chapter updates of the timeline so far. So, none of the CIF or Quiver or “addendum” updates, but those are secondary to the story anyhow. It also contains some updated Irish terminology, thanks to a scholar of Irish language that SeaLion Press contacted during the publication process.

It’s been an amazing experience writing this, as well as bringing it to publication. The SeaLion Press is an amazing group of folks, and I’m honored to have had the chance to work with them!

Congratulations! A very interesting timeline and enjoyable to read. Very deserving of a book.

Setraland seems to have lost a lot of its initial advantages, but I suspect the cultural relations with Europe will allow it to replace quality with quantity. Securing Ohio, even if it is passed the Niagara Falls, gives them a good base for future economic development and river routes to spread their influence throughout the continent. Assuming the complicated nature of the realm doesn't bring it apart.

I think the Viking longship design was important for making Dun Cormac/Montreal viable versus Fhearga/Quebec City, but when the age of sail arrives I think Fhearga will end up as the greater port and economic centre like Quebec originally. Quebec came from the Algonquin word for “narrow passage” which made it hard for large sailing ships to push up the river. The Age of Steam, plus an easier southern connection, allowed Montreal to overtake Quebec City.

The Longship might ironically give Setraland an advantage on the great lakes, having the superior naval force. Eventually though that might be lost as the first nations can be quite adaptive. I do wonder if 'Hudson Bay' has been found yet, either by wanderers or monks seeking solitude, but I guess the ice will keep them away for now.

Random question for Africa, but since Ismaili is not as missionary Islam and 'Carthage' is christian, what happened there? I suppose if there is a Mansa Musa equivalent they can't go on the Hajji. Maybe if you want to throw in more cultures a ruler gets the sweet tooth for the sweets from across the sea and sends an expedition west. That might be more silly though.