The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

How is South America doing? With the amount of goods that are flowing through traderoutes and the proliferation of powerful city-states in the Amazon and in the Andes, plagues and technology might be able to spread farther south. What about Mesoamerica? Will the Asguardians or other peoples have to deal with Cocoliztli or Native American plagues?
South America is Keshigu which, right now, is little known to Asgard beyond the Pawu (OTL Marajo Island). The plagues that effect the rest of the native world have been effecting them as well, as stated in the update.

Mesoamerica is Fjothrland, where Cholula currently is the “big dog” in the greater Valley of Mexico region. The Cocoliztli (whatever the disease or diseases were; researches to this day are still debating if it was Old World or New World in origin, probably a mixture of both) is always a concern.

South America is Keshigu which, right now, is little known to Asgard beyond the Pawu (OTL Marajo Island). The plagues that effect the rest of the native world have been effecting them as well, as stated in the update.

Mesoamerica is Fjothrland, where Cholula currently is the “big dog” in the greater Valley of Mexico region. The Cocoliztli (whatever the disease or diseases were; researches to this day are still debating if it was Old World or New World in origin, probably a mixture of both) is always a concern.
Very cool! Sorry, I guess I lost track of the names of places. I love this timeline and I'm pumped that it's coming back.

Very cool! Sorry, I guess I lost track of the names of places. I love this timeline and I'm pumped that it's coming back.
Yeah, I really should do an updated glossary :coldsweat: The old one is I think two chapters old?

Thank you! I’m glad to be back with it!

Are we going to get any news about the Near-Eastern Part of the Old World soon? I'm quite curious about Rhomania and if the Turkic invasions happened like they did OTL, and whether or not the Turks converted to Ismaili or decided to take a more fascinating route in Christianity...

Are we going to get any news about the Near-Eastern Part of the Old World soon? I'm quite curious about Rhomania and if the Turkic invasions happened like they did OTL, and whether or not the Turks converted to Ismaili or decided to take a more fascinating route in Christianity...

When I finish this chapter, I’ll do another Old World roundup. Things are looking interesting there, that’s for certain.

The Adventure Continues...
Epilogue

As the 13th Century came to its end, great changes swept over the continent of Talbeah. The cooling temperatures caused crop failures in Setraland, K’omani, Paqwachowng, and other various proto-states. This would be the main driving force behind further consolidation, as those proto-states that were able to withstand the changes in temperature were able to absorb their weaker neighbors (or simply enter their abandoned cities). Asgard fought a brutal war with Pawu, eventually taking the island and securing trade on the Keshigu River; however, the spread of disease rapidly made this potentially lucrative vein of trade much less lucrative, to where it was of little value and was mostly forgotten.

Now, as the 15th Century dawns, the situation in Talbeah has greatly changed. K’omani, binding together its fellow alliance members by religious tradition, has become a major force along the Kikadit River, dominating trade there and sitting at the end of routes to the developing states on the Pacific Northwest coasts. Asgard retains its dominion of the Lucayan Sea, but it is a power on the decline as internal divisions and centralization in Fjothrland conspire together to weaken their grip on the region. Paqwachowng and the Lenape continue to butt heads with each other, and also increasingly Setraland and K’omani, over influence of the smaller native states in the Ohiyo River Valley. South of the Paqwachowng, the young and hungry Ocevpofv Confederation gathers strength, competing for control of the Southeast and even threatening the Asgardian homeland of Myrwick. All the while, the tribes of the Horse People gather strength and influence on the plains, playing the role of trading caravan and raiding party.

The 15th Century will see the end of this fraught situation, and see Talbeah plunged into war that it has never seen before...

The Talbeahan Chronicles will continue in The Great Talbeahan War: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 1400 to 1550

(An Explanation may be in order.

Since about September of 2018, I have been building up to a titanic conflict between K’omani and the more Europeanized states of the East. This war has become more and more of a focus, especially as I read some very good biographies and got new ideas of how to write it out. However, I felt that I had to finish off this part of the story first. The more I tried, the more it felt like I was spinning my tires, however. It’s been 700 years of history, and that wears on a guy.

I came to the realization recently, though, that I want to continue this story- but where I want to take it. Therefore, the 150 year timeskip to 1400 and the name change of the thread. That being said, I am opening p this thread to questions- questions of what happened in Europe, what happened here, cultural questions, all sorts of questions. This, I feel, can help you guys and me get some better “closure” so to speak of this thread before the new one is posted.

Thank you guys for all your support and the Turtledove award! Hopefully the new thread will meet your expectations and exceed them!)

I've been curious about what you were going to do with the Turkic Invasions of Persia and Anatolia for ages. It is sure to be a fascinating affair with that the huge butterflies that came with the butterflying away of Islam, the Slavic settlement in Anatolia and the presence of the Onoghur's.

This has been one of my favorite timelines so far, I hope it continues for a long time :D

CIF: Turkic Invasions of Persia
I've been curious about what you were going to do with the Turkic Invasions of Persia and Anatolia for ages. It is sure to be a fascinating affair with that the huge butterflies that came with the butterflying away of Islam, the Slavic settlement in Anatolia and the presence of the Onoghur's.

This has been one of my favorite timelines so far, I hope it continues for a long time :D

Thank you for those kind words!

The Yabghu Turks invaded Eastern Persia in larger numbers in the 10th and 11th centuries. This was the border region of the Ismaili world, and had proven difficult to handle ever since it was conquered. Local Zoroastrian-Persian bandit lords had waged low level warfare against the Ismaili’s ever since the final chapter of the Four Cardinal Campaigns. The Turks found them eager allies. After defeat at the Battle of Veh-Ardashir in 1034, the Ismaili Tayifa began the gradual process of withdrawal back towards its “line of actual control”, roughly from Rasht to Bushehr, giving up much of Persia to the Yabghu-Persian alliance. This saw the foundation of the Yabghu Empire, which would gradually expand east towards India after the Ismailis fended off another attempt to push West.

In 1225, the Yabghu were at the height of power, with its eastern border on the Indus. The howling winds of the steppe brought this to an end. The Green Banner Horde of the Khitan came slamming in, breaking up the Empire and bringing it to heel under the Khitan Khaganate. The collapse of the Khaganate in 1385 has seen various Turco-Persian states arise in competition, each seeking to restore the old Empire.

Turkic invasions that swung around the Caspian also had effects on the Caucasus, but the Rhomanians and Rus in Yarkaya managed to prevent them from pushing entirely into Anatolia.

The Turco-Persians are Zoroastrian on the whole, keeping the sacred fires alive, though there is a smattering of Buddhists, Nestorians, and Isnailis.

Has Talbeah's dynasty changed? Have large cities developed besides Peace Town? Are the Measctha still considered a distinct group, and are they considered to include mixed-race people from New England? Any heresies afoot?

Something that has always bugged me a little is how most of these names are in other languages but "Peace Town" and "Dawnland" are in English. It's come to bother me slightly, but I still enjoy this timeline.

Something that has always bugged me a little is how most of these names are in other languages but "Peace Town" and "Dawnland" are in English. It's come to bother me slightly, but I still enjoy this timeline.
Peace Town is mostly because it’s from earlier in the thread, before I settled on using mainly other languages. If I recall rightly, there is a Ostish version somewhere in the thread that I may have forgotten about. Dawnland is a translation of a native term that I always meant to find the origin for, but couldn’t.

EDIT: Found it! Peace Town in Ostish is Frithrborg. I’ll be sure to use that from henceforth.

EDIT2: Wabanahkik is the translation I was looking for, as regarding Dawnland. I’ll also use that from now on.

Last edited:
Peace Town is mostly because it’s from earlier in the thread, before I settled on using mainly other languages. If I recall rightly, there is a Ostish version somewhere in the thread that I may have forgotten about. Dawnland is a translation of a native term that I always meant to find the origin for, but couldn’t.

EDIT: Found it! Peace Town in Ostish is Frithrborg. I’ll be sure to use that from henceforth.

EDIT2: Wabanahkik is the translation I was looking for, as regarding Dawnland. I’ll also use that from now on.

Thank you. It was mildly annoying to see names not only in the wrong language but in an anachronistic language resulting from centuries of linguistic evolution.

I'm definitely look forward to reading those names in the sequel thread.

CIF: Hreinigs, Cities, Ethnicities, and Heresy
Has Talbeah's dynasty changed? Have large cities developed besides Peace Town? Are the Measctha still considered a distinct group, and are they considered to include mixed-race people from New England? Any heresies afoot?

The current ruling house (in 1400) is still the Hreinings, or House of Hrein. By this point, the Hreinings still sit on the thrones of Svea, Norvegr, and Danmork, as well as Setraland. The overlordship of Ireland ended in the 12th century at the hands of Naisi Mac Scalaidhe, who restored the office of High King, and the two Anglish realms were united by Wolnoth Ordricsson, who chased away the Hreining lords there in 1312.

The large cities of Setraland in 1400 no longer includes Frithrborg (Peace Town), as climate and political changes have made the city less appealing for the monarchs. Instead, population has shifted towards the Continent, with Dun Cormac (OTL Montreal) now acting as the political capital. Frithrborg remains the spiritual head of Christianity in Talbeah, however. In addition to Dun Cormac, Fhearga (OTL Quebec City), Graí (OTL Toronto), Thvait (OTL Boston), Bolverkstead (in OTL Maine), and Breithr (OTL Cleveland) are major settlements in 1400.

Maesctha are the vast majority of Christians in the New World, and the majority of the population of Setraland by a large margin. Almost all would identify themselves with the Fanaithe-Irish, and would be treated as indistinguishable from them. A few clans of “true Measctha”, descendants of the Measchta Ethnarchies driven off of the Island of the Blessed by Arvid the Far-Seeker, maintain an existence at the frontiers, where they continue some of the ancient traditions of the Skin People. Most Measctha are not descended from them anymore, as the term applies to those whose ancestors were in OTL New England or were Afonbreni.

Goidellicism, which is basically a continuation of sixth century Celtic Christianity, continues to plague Catholic leadership in 1400. Fainaithe towns across the frontiers tend towards Goidellicism, mostly tolerated by the marchawc lords of that region. A more minor heresy (at least in Talbeah) is Cinguettism. Cinguettists believe that the Church has been corrupted in its mission to save souls, more focused on gaining secular power and influence. Cinguettism is more common in Europe, though even Talbeahan priests have to fight those who curse the Saints and spit on the Eucharist.

Last edited:
The Algonquin tribes in what is now NewEngland called themselves the Wabanki, the People of the Dawn.

The proper place name would have been Wabanahkik, while Wabanaki meant "people of the dawn".

Note that the Algonquian groups in New England didn't just speak dialects of a single language, they spoke completely different tongues, so there was plenty of variance. For example, Wabanahkik is only the Mi'kmaq (first to diverge yet simultaneously archaic, the language is grouped alone as a single older branch of Eastern Algonquian), term for "dawn land", in no way universal, same with Wabanaki, while having a less clear etymology as to what specific group, it seems to be an exonym, with clear cognates found in Ojibwe-Potawatomi affiliated languages, such as Algonquin (not Algonquian, an overall ethnolinguistic term, just Algonquin, as in the singular tribe), Wàbanaki and Ojibwe, Waabanaki.

In all, whatever term is chosen, remember that there's plenty of variance and that it'll most likely be determined by which group the Europeans came into contact with first.

CIF: South Asia, Oceania, Africa
Whats happening in South Asia and Oceania and Africa?
So here’s the thing- the Ismaili were never as “missionary” as OTL Islam. This comes from its more Jewish roots. By 1400, it is THE religion in the Middle East and East Africa, but it’s never advanced much farther along the traditional vectors. So this means the history of South Asia is dramatically different... and so removed from Talbeah that I only have some general notes, haha.

The subcontinent has mostly been under various Dharmic regimes, save for the Turco-Persian Yabghu Empire pushing to the Indus. This all changes with the Khitan Khaganate, whose Red Flag Horde came thundering into the region after the Green Flag Horde broke the Yabghu. The Red Flag Horde eventually carved out the Khaishan Empire, adopting Indian culture and generally being polite to those who pay tribute (those who don’t pay tribute, well...). South India is mostly independent of the Khaishan, and made up of various small Tamil-ish realms. In 1400, the Khaishan still maintain their Empire, but are definitely more Indian than Khitan at this point.

If I can decipher my jotted note from March of 2019, Indochina was dominated by the Khmer, but their Empire collapsed in 1320 it seems. Various smaller states of different ethnicities have established their own patrimonies by 1400.

Indonesia is a mess of petty mostly Hindu kingdoms, though a lot of it came close to being unified in the 14th Century- the conquerer died, though, and it collapsed.

Oceania... I have no real notes on. I’ll have to get back to you on that.

Africa... Africa is fun. So the Ismaili’s were stopped by the BattlePope at the gates of Carthage, so much of North Africa remained Berber and Christian. The Ismaili, however, turned their attention south towards Ethiopia, which they smashed. So for the most part, West Africa is becoming like syncretic Christian, especially helped by the Gaellecians sailing along the coast, and East Africa is gradually becoming Ismaili. A Mansa from West Africa pulled a Mansa Musa and traveled to Rome for pilgramage, though he didn’t quite devalue gold. But it is much more connected with Europe than OTL, thanks in part to the shipbuilding advances from the Atlantic trade.

Last edited: