The Last Hanover: The Life and Reign of Queen Charlotte

I'm only just working my way through this AU right now (reading about Charlotte's coronation has been a trip, in light of recent events lol, especially the bit about tradition dictating that foreign Kings and Queens don't attend, which seems to have been broken this year). Just wanted to say how much of a great read it's been, and how wonderful it is to see a long-running TL like this one still going strong, which sadly isn't the case in many cases.

I did also have one thing I wanted to ask about which confused me while catching up, and I apologize in advance for briefly dragging the conversation here back to something you wrote like 3 years ago; What happened to the Viscount Goderich? Chapter 14 features Canning becoming PM, dying, and being replaced by Goderich. A footnote informs us that the real Goderich OTL only lasted 144 days, and then Chapter 15 just kinda... starts with Wellington already being PM, seemingly? It took me a few paragraphs to realize that was actually the case, and nothing is ever mentioned of Goderich losing the post and Wellington replacing him. (I'm assuming things in that regard more or less played out as they did IOTL, so it's not a huge disruption to the story or anything, but it did leave me a little confused, wondering if I had skipped a chapter by accident).

I'm only just working my way through this AU right now (reading about Charlotte's coronation has been a trip, in light of recent events lol, especially the bit about tradition dictating that foreign Kings and Queens don't attend, which seems to have been broken this year). Just wanted to say how much of a great read it's been, and how wonderful it is to see a long-running TL like this one still going strong, which sadly isn't the case in many cases.

I did also have one thing I wanted to ask about which confused me while catching up, and I apologize in advance for briefly dragging the conversation here back to something you wrote like 3 years ago; What happened to the Viscount Goderich? Chapter 14 features Canning becoming PM, dying, and being replaced by Goderich. A footnote informs us that the real Goderich OTL only lasted 144 days, and then Chapter 15 just kinda... starts with Wellington already being PM, seemingly? It took me a few paragraphs to realize that was actually the case, and nothing is ever mentioned of Goderich losing the post and Wellington replacing him. (I'm assuming things in that regard more or less played out as they did IOTL, so it's not a huge disruption to the story or anything, but it did leave me a little confused, wondering if I had skipped a chapter by accident).
I appreciate the support, and I'm so glad you like the TL!

Not gonna lie, I completely blanked on Goderich being the PM. I'm so sorry! But yes, we can assume that went as it did OTL 😂

And now I'm officially caught up!

Jackson, propelled further by a particularly vicious swing of his cane, lands face-first into the cobblestones [17]. He lingers for several days in a coma before passing away in his stateroom on the USS Cygnet, becoming the first president to die in office [18]. ... Martin Van Buren is now President of the United States. Surprised? So is everyone else.
Ahem... RIP Bozo.

As for Van Buren's ascension to the now-vacant office, it should be said that this probably wouldn't be entirely smooth or automatic - when William Henry Harrison became the first President to die in office OTL there was an (admittedly brief) constitutional crisis over whether his Vice President John Tyler was in fact the new President or not (the Constitution, rather unhelpfully, just specified that the "powers and duties" of the Presidency pass to the VP upon the President's death or resignation, but it was undecided at the time whether that also included the actual office of President itself). John Tyler then resolved this crisis in a rather blunt way by basically declaring "I am, in fact, President now and none of you dorks can stop me", moving into the White House, and finding a judge willing to swear him in. A majority of Congress eventually came around to ratifying that step after some intense belly-aching, though a not-insignificant portion of its members refused to acknowledge Tyler as anything other than the Vice President throughout the rest of his term. (Tyler, thus empowered, then proceeded to betray practically everything him and Harrison had campaigned on and more or less admitted that he'd only run as a Whig because he disagreed with Jackson on one specific policy issue, but I digress).

Funny though all that is, Martin van Buren was always regarded as a very charismatic and crafty politican, to my knowledge, so it's not unreasonable to assume he'd be able to pull off the same transition into power as Tyler did, and probably far more smoothly at that.

The Company’s charter is extended for five years, not the originally proposed thirty, and while the Company still has the right to raise armies, wage war, and rule conquered territories, they will require the consent of the Monarch to do so [28].
Out of all the things that have changed as a result of Charlotte being Queen ITTL, I'm inclined to think that this may be the one with the most profound, noticeable impact (at least in the immediate, short-term sense. Obviously the long-term history of Europe has already been shifted onto a very different trajectory, as we've seen in some of the snippets), espeially if the Charter is further curbed when it comes up for renegotiation again in five years. Very curious to see how curbing the autonomy and excesses of the EIC will influence the development of British India going forward, and European imperialism in the Indo-Pacific in general.

Anyway, thank you once again for this whole wonderful timeline, and for being the only person to ever make me this interested and invested in fancy jewelry. x'D

Last edited:
And now I'm officially caught up!

Ahem... RIP Bozo.
Bozo appreciates the condolences 😂 it was just too perfect to not take advantage of when I read about the incident.

As for Van Buren's ascension to the now-vacant office, it should be said that this probably wouldn't be entirely smooth or automatic - when William Henry Harrison became the first President to die in office OTL there was an (admittedly brief) constitutional crisis over whether his Vice President John Tyler was in fact the new President or not (the Constitution, rather unhelpfully, just specified that the "powers and duties" of the Presidency pass to the VP upon the President's death or resignation, but it was undecided at the time whether that also included the actual office of President itself). John Tyler then resolved this crisis in a rather blunt way by basically declaring "I am, in fact, President now and none of you dorks can stop me", moving into the White House, and finding a judge willing to swear him in. A majority of Congress eventually came around to ratifying that step after some intense belly-aching, though a not-insignificant portion of its members refused to acknowledge Tyler as anything other than the Vice President throughout the rest of his term. (Tyler, thus empowered, then proceeded to betray practically everything him and Harrison had campaigned on and more or less admitted that he'd only run as a Whig because he disagreed with Jackson on one specific policy issue, but I digress).

Funny though all that is, Martin van Buren was always regarded as a very charismatic and crafty politican, to my knowledge, so it's not unreasonable to assume he'd be able to pull off the same transition into power as Tyler did, and probably far more smoothly at that.
van Buren has his work cut out for him in other areas, so he got a smooth transition into power to lull him into a false sense of security start him out on the right foot

Out of all the things that have changed as a result of Charlotte being Queen ITTL, I'm inclined to think that this may be the one with the most profound, noticeable impact (at least in the immediate, short-term sense. Obviously the long-term history of Europe has already been shifted onto a very different trajectory, as we've seen in some of the snippets), espeially if the Charter is further curbed when it comes up for renegotiation again in five years. Very curious to see how curbing the autonomy and excesses of the EIC will influence the development of British India going forward, and European imperialism in the Indo-Pacific in general.
Oh, the EIC is going to have a great time trying to renegotiate in five years. Especially since Leopold's gonna be representing Lord Romney at board meetings fairly often during that time period, so he'll known all their dirty little secrets by the time negotiations start.

Anyway, thank you once again for this whole wonderful timeline, and for being the only person to ever make me this interested and invested in fancy jewelry. x'D
Awwwww, thank you! ❤️

Anything Charlotte and leo i will inject into my vinst straight away! Im also riding high on the consecutive 50 & 500 year jubilee here in Sweden so anything Sweden related would make me skip a beat :)