The Last Hanover: The Life and Reign of Queen Charlotte

The update was fabulous! I especially liked:
“It wasn’t arranged the way you think. Charlie decided that he was ready to marry, that he wanted to marry someone who knew and understood the demands of his life, and he wanted to marry a friend, someone he enjoyed being with. Daisy checked all the boxes, and Charlie checked all of hers as well."
I've always liked the idea that there is a right way to do arranged marriages. And so I really appreciated this.
The Times reported the funeral under the heading “The Death of a Good Man”, and wrote “Who knows when we are again to see such a selflessly good man who made the world his canvas and kindness his brush.”
This is a very evocative sentence!

Wonderful writing. It seems to me Charles’ uncle is a childless Prince of Wales, hence his line inheriting, with maybe the same being true of Charlie’s brother/nieces and nephews (as it seems Edmund is the father of little Charlotte of York from previous excerpts)

So, guess is ...

Charlotte I, m. Leopold, Duke of Kendall, r. 1830 to 1880
-- 1) George V, m. Sophie of Wurttemburg, r. 1880 to pre 1896
a) William IV, m. Dagmar of Denmark, r. c. 1896 to XXXX,​
-- 1) George VI, b. 1871ish, r. pre. 1929​
a) Edward VII, m. Queen Anne, b. 1905, r. post 1929 to 1965​
-- 1) William V, m. Queen Alexandra, b. 1931, r. 1965 to Present​
a) Edward, Prince of Wales, b. pre. 1961​
b) Charles, Duke of York, b. 1961, d. 2005, m. Margaret Child Villiers​
-- 1) Sophia of York, b. 1989​
-- 2) Edmund, Duke of York, b. 1991, m. Alexandra McDonnell​
a) Charlotte of York, b. 2021​
-- 2) Alfred, Duke or Gloucester​
a) Isabella​
b) Amalia​
c) Frederica​

Charles' parents in 1961 are the Duke and Duchess of York, the Prince and Princess of Wales are stated as separate individuals. Thus, at the point he is born, it is possible that George VI is still alive, Edward VII is Prince of Wales and William V is Duke of York.

Edward VII may have no male siblings, so the Dukedom of York is given to his eldest son.

By the time of Charles wedding in 1986, his mother is Queen, which matches with William V becoming King in 1965ish, and also explains how his brother is referred to as the Prince of Wales

Last edited:
Wonderful writing. It seems to me Charles’ uncle is a childless Prince of Wales, hence his line inheriting, with maybe the same being true of Charlie’s brother/nieces and nephews (as it seems Edmund is the father of little Charlotte of York from previous excerpts)
Thank you! You are correct, Edmund is the father of little Charlotte :)

So, guess is ...

Charlotte I, m. Leopold, Duke of Kendall, r. 1830 to 1880
-- 1) George V, m. Sophie of Wurttemburg, r. 1880 to pre 1896
a) William IV, m. Dagmar of Denmark, r. c. 1896 to XXXX,​
-- 1) George VI, b. 1871ish, r. pre. 1929​
a) Edward VII, m. Queen Anne, b. 1905, r. post 1929 to 1965​
-- 1) William V, m. Queen Alexandra, b. 1931, r. 1965 to Present​
a) Edward, Prince of Wales, b. pre. 1961​
b) Charles, Duke of York, b. 1961, d. 2005, m. Margaret Child Villiers​
-- 1) Sophia of York, b. 1989​
-- 2) Edmund, Duke of York, b. 1991​
a) Charlotte of York, b. 2021​
-- 2) Alfred, Duke or Gloucester​
a) Isabella​
b) Amalia​
c) Frederica​

Charles' parents in 1961 are the Duke and Duchess of York, the Prince and Princess of Wales are stated as separate individuals. Thus, at the point he is born, it is possible that George VI is still alive, Edward VII is Prince of Wales and William V is Duke of York.

Edward VII may have no male siblings, so the Dukedom of York is given to his eldest son.

By the time of Charles wedding in 1986, his mother is Queen, which matches with William V becoming King in 1965ish, and also explains how his brother is referred to as the Prince of Wales
You've got it!

The Prince of Wales is married but childless - that will be covered in another post eventually. He and his wife are very close with Sophia and Edmund, and the Prince of Wales really stepped up with them after their father died and took on a very paternal role.

He's the same Edward that was mentioned in the post regarding Charlotte's descendants ;)

Great update! I noticed that the king of Greece is mentioned, so it's interesting to consider the prospect of a surviving Greek monarchy in the late 20th century.

“The Baptism of the second son of The Duke and Duchess of York took place at 10.00 a.m. this morning at St George's Church in Esher, Surrey by the Archbishop of York. He received the names Charles Leopold George.... His godparents were the Princess of Wales..."

The groom was supported by his brother Edward, The Prince of Wales.
So what happened with the 1961 Prince of Wales?

And why did the older brother not inherit the Dukedom? Which would merge with the Crown at his accession, as with previous Dukes of York who succeeded.
“Edmund William Frederick, the Duke of York, was born at 9:21 a.m. on October 3, 1990..."
This ties in with:
January 7, 2021:
Long live the future Queen! It's a girl for the Duke and Duchess of York! Thanks to the Law of Succession of 1995, this little lass shall one day take the top spot in the monarchy, regardless of any brothers who may follow. She is the first child of the Duke and Duchess, who married in 2018.
What happened with Charles's older brother Edward, The Prince of Wales, Charlotte's granduncle? She is is sure to succeed only if Edward is certain to have no eligible descendants.
tree.png

Is this correct?

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales is married but childless - that will be covered in another post eventually.
But unless he is permanently infertile, his line is not necessarily extinct. He's over 60, and his wife is presumably well over 50, but...

She might die, and he might remarry and beget a child. Until that possibility is absolutely foreclosed, Charlotte's succession remains tentative.

So what happened with the 1961 Prince of Wales?
The 1961 Prince of Wales was Charles' father, who inherited the throne as William V in 1965.

And why did the older brother not inherit the Dukedom? Which would merge with the Crown at his accession, as with previous Dukes of York who succeeded.
My bad, went back and re-read this and realized I had gotten my times screwed up - I went back and fixed the post so it should make more sense now.

There was no Duke of York when Charles was born. His parents were the Prince and Princess of Wales.

What happened with Charles's older brother Edward, The Prince of Wales, Charlotte's granduncle? She is is sure to succeed only if Edward is certain to have no eligable descendants

But unless he is permanently infertile, his line is not necessarily extinct. He's over 60, and his wife is presumably well over 50, but...

She might die, and he might remarry and beget a child. Until that possibility is absolutely foreclosed, Charlotte's succession remains tentative.
Considering that he is over sixty, as is his wife, and they have no children and are in good health, it is generally accepted by the public that Edmund and Charlotte will eventually inherit.

Last edited:
I don't think the amendments were necessary (and also currently incomplete)

1961 - Charles of York is born to William, Duke of York, he has an elder brother Edward of York

1962 - George VI dies, Edward VII (who was Prince of Wales in 61) is made King, and William, Duke of York, becomes Prince of Wales. I don't think we had a date for Edwards accession before to contradict.

1965 - Edward VII dies, the Duke of York becomes William VI, the Dukedom of York is absorbed into the crown, Edward of York becomes Prince of Wales and the Dukedom of York is recreated for Charles

So the older brother wouldn't have inherited the Dukedom by primogeniture as it would have been absorbed into the crown when their father became King.

Last edited:
The family tree looks like this:

1. HM George , The King (d. 1941)
a. HM Edward, The King (1905 - 1965)​
i. HM William, The King (1931)​
1. HRH Edward, The Prince of Wales (April 29, 1960)​
2. HRH Charles, The Duke of York (October 10, 1961 - October 24, 2005)​
a. HRH Princess Sophia of York (November 14, 1988)​
b. HRH Edmund , The Duke of York (October 3, 1990)​
i. HRH Princess Charlotte of York (January 7, 2021)​

When Charles was born, his parents were the Prince and Princess of Wales, and there was no Duke of York.

Last edited:
Who will succeed Charles? Sophia or Edmund? OTL the succession law was only changed in 2011 and it wasn’t retroactive. By that principle Edmund would succeed Charles

Who will succeed Charles? Sophia or Edmund? OTL the succession law was only changed in 2011 and it wasn’t retroactive. By that principle Edmund would succeed Charles
The Law of Succession of 1995 is similar to the OTL law and only applies to children born after it's passing.

Sophia does remain 3rd in line, for what that's worth.

Excellent question, thank you!

The post introducing NuCharlotte said she was the first occasion a daughter would inherit the crown over any brother, so Edmund inherits over Sophia

Hey guys. I know it feels like this is the post I make the most often and I'm sorry.

This thread is not dead. I, however, am mentally lol. I'm an RN in a high covid area that's desperately understaffed, so unfortunately I don't have a ton of energy to sit down and do the research and write this the way I want to write it.

There is a post, a big one, coming eventually. I might manage some tidbits between now and then. Just wanted to let everyone know what's going on.

Hey guys. I know it feels like this is the post I make the most often and I'm sorry.

This thread is not dead. I, however, am mentally lol. I'm an RN in a high covid area that's desperately understaffed, so unfortunately I don't have a ton of energy to sit down and do the research and write this the way I want to write it.

There is a post, a big one, coming eventually. I might manage some tidbits between now and then. Just wanted to let everyone know what's going on.
Take your time and thank you for your service