The Last Eagle

The Last Eagle- Survival of the Bonaparte Dynasty

An attempt to portray a history in which Napoleon does not invade Russia in 1812.
NOTICE: If anyone is really good with editing maps of Europe and would like to help me out, please let me know!

Goya_-_Second_of_May_1808.jpg

LUC

Smoke from the battlefield gradually filtered out of his view. As he could better assess the battlefield, he was taken aback by the amount of carnage that had descended upon the once-peaceful Spanish valley. To him, it appeared as if the men in blue were pulling off of the field in order, and the remnants of their enemies were doing likewise. The young man was unsure whether or not he should be worried about another clash until a mounted officer rode up, "Hail. What do you think of your first battle, lieutenant?"

"I'm not sure... that was a lot different from the academy-"

"Well yeah," The officer chuckled and pulled his horse to the left so that he faced the battlefield, "Of course it is. There is nothing like the real thing, my boy. Recount to me what you saw, and your assessment of the order of battle."

The young officer looked out, trying to re-create the battle in his head. "...We were marching in column to relieve Zaragoza when we came upon the valley. Colonel Richaut decided the most expedient path was straight through the wooded valley. Our infantry led, and were ambushed by guerillas. Our horse charged quickly, and broke the small first wave of attack, allowing our infantry time to form up properly. The first battalion stayed with the caravan, while the second pushed forward, and the third attempted to flank the unknown guerilla position. When they hit the tree lines, the guerilla's repulsed them, and turned to trade volleys with the second battalion. After our canon was in place and we were able to fire upon the guerilla position, they pulled out of the forest and valley altogether."

The mounted officer nodded, "An adequate recounting. Now, what is your assessment?"

"Well, I would... I would have used the cavalry charge to break their initial assault, but then sent a small detachment to wait over there," He said pointing to the opposing mouth of the valley. "Then, I would have sent the first up the main path to the woods, while sending the second to flank from the left, and the third from the right. Then, after I pushed the guerillas out of the forest, those who aren’t killed by my infantry would be chased down by the awaiting cavalry detachment. In conclusion... I'd say Colonel Richaut was too cautious."

"Hmm... Not bad, Luc. But while we are speaking in hypotheticals, what say you if reinforcements arrived? What would you do if you won the initial skirmish, but were suddenly faced with more men. Your cavalry detachment would be taken out, and then they could possibly breakthrough your over-extended lines and assault the caravan."

Luc smiled, "Well then what if the emperor came from behind and carried us both into glory?"

Captain Baun slapped the younger man on the back of the head, "Don't you get smart with me, we're soldiers now. Which reminds me, we need to go see the colonel. An unlocky shot took out his aide-de-camp, and he feels like he needs another city boy from the academy to fill the slot. God only knows why he chose you."

Luc balked, "What? No, no, it's too soon. I have only seen one real battle in my whole life- I wouldn't know what to do!"

"Don't kid yourself, you'll make a fine aid. Just nod your head when its unimportant, and tell him what you think when it is, that's all that can be asked. I am sure you can handle some logistics and writing back to Paris as well." Baun's horse began to trot forward, and he did not stop it from doing so. "Come now, to Richaut." Without waiting for another protest, he started off for the caravan.

Luc sighed, and jogged to catch up.

X-X

NAPOLEON

"Sir, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my office forces me to be. It truly pains me to be the one to transfer the burdens of France to your highness," Talleyrand's words ever seemed to be shit dressed with lace, like the man himself.

"What is it that you have come to remind me of, I am sure it is not as important as my son. Tell me quickly, I want to go speak with the doctors as soon as I can." Napoleon's voice held a certain dullness that few had ever heard. The state of his son had drained the man, and he was feeling more depressed than he ever had. Goddamnit, that boy was his son- the son of the Master of Europe, the Greatest Warlord of all time, who was God to rob him of his greatest victory?

"The Russians have been caught red-handed breaking the system, my lord. We have some irrefutable information from Archangel that the Tsar has been conducting trade with our neighbors to the north. Multiple reports have seen a British trade vessel leaving the port. That is the report." Talleyrand bowed. The room became deathly silent, as the fate of the future of Europe hung in the balance.

Napoleon did not respond automatically, but got off his throne and walked over to the large portrait of himself, recently finished. It depicted him in his military uniform, calm and austere, upon a raving mad horse that trampled bodies beneath its feet. An associate of David had painted it for the emperor, and though it was not of David's caliber, it still intrigued him. "... Very well then. I have both lusted for and feared this moment for a while, and now I am torn. Should I rescind my order, or punish the Tsar? Tell me, Talleyrand, what would you do?"

Talleyrand, obviously slightly struck at the emperor's uncharacteristic asking for advice, actually was at a loss of words. What happened to the Napoleon in the portrait he now stood nearby? "... My emperor, I believe that... y-your will is that of France. Whatever is prudent for you is prudent for her."

The emperor nodded, and put his hands behind his back, grasping them. "Send a letter to the Tsar, expressing my deep disappointment with him. Then," Talleyrand seemed to somehow lean closer, without moving at all, "let it be known that open trade is permitted. I do not have the time to police Europe while my son is on his deathbed. Leave me now, Talleyrand."

X-X

TRUMBLEAU

Vice-Minister Trumbleau reviewed his suggestion for the Emperor. Only hours before, the ruler of France had come into his office, muttered a few words about a new currency, then left unceremoniously. Everyone knew the young Prince Imperial's condition was deteriorating, but that it distraught the emperor so...

He looked at the "euroleon," his brainchild on the document he prepared for the Emperor. Based mostly on the gold reserves of France and her allied satellites, it allowed for some fluctuation in the market. The fact that Italy, the Rhineland, Poland, and parts of Spain would all have one unifying currency was intriguing to say the least. Trumbleau had giddily talked with the others in the ministry about the implications right up until the meeting.

Before the excited vice-minister could continue his mental review, the door opened to the imperial chambers. An officer, probably a general or marshal, looked down on the squat Trumbleau and laughed, "You're a little late for that meeting."

Trumbleau was confused, but a voice from within the room said,

"Let him in." The general stepped out of the way, and the vice-minister entered into the room. It seemed the meeting for the currency had been ditched for a war council. Officers and the Emperor himself were gathered around a table, with a map of Europe on it. Tiny figurines were being moved about, but the Emperor shook his head every time.

"Berthier, the question is not how, but where. Should I engage the Austrians, Prussians, or Russians first?" The Emperor put his hands on the table as he looked up to regard the new entry, "Let's take a reprieve. Come, Trumbleau, let me see your proposal. I would have preferred it earlier."

The vice-minister put down the neat sheet of paper summarizing the euroleon. As the emperor put on his reading glasses, Trumbleau hit the major points, "A unifying currency for the Empire, the euroleon," there were a few suppressed laughs, " If this new money is spread throughout the empire, the ministry predicts an immediate surge in internal trade, and perhaps even international commerce. Coupled with the end of the... system, we predict that trade will grow exponentially. We predict that the Empire will experience financial growth well into the next decade."

"Change the name." Napoleon said, putting the paper down. "And then, send this proposal to Gaudin, let him tinker with it. I do not pretend to be a financial expert, but perhaps there is something we do not see."

Trumbleau bowed, and left the room.

X-X

This is my first thread, I'm trying to make a plausible scenario concerning the continuance of the Bonaparte Dynasty, and the ramifications on History. Please criticize, I wanna make sure this is interesting and as accurate as can be.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board! It looks good so far for your first time line, your first post even. I must however admit that I do not know a lot about this time period, so I don´t really know how plausible it is. But I am intersted how this will continue.

Goya%20Third%20of%20May.jpg

LUC
The artillery blast rocked the castle, stirring the loose rocks to crumble and fall. Rocky-dust filled the room as shouts from the city could be heard. Marshal Claude Victor-Perrin seemed undisturbed, as he quickly eyed a map of the city. "So..." he said, putting his hand on the outskirts of Zaragoza, "Colonel Richaut and my supplies are here?"

Captain Baun nodded, as did Luc.

"However, the guerillas have seized the northern entrance to the city, cutting any attempts at retrieval off, and the main body of their force is shelling us from the south. My corps is bottled up in the city, and cannot move until the guerillas are dealt with. If Richaut cannot give me enough time to secure the city, we could lose Zaragoza. Captain, ride to your Colonel, have him dig in on the southern outskirts and repel the guerillas. Go now, and wait for my men to win the city. After that, we'll crush them outside the city walls."

Luc saluted, and the two men left Marshal Victor as he walked over to look out of the fortress window. Baun and Luc mounted up, just as a small group of men burst into the courtyard. They were raggedly dressed, and only one carried a rifle- the others had pitchforks and scythes. When the rebels saw the two officers, they charged forward yelling.

Gunfire rang out.

Luc did not realize he had his eyes closed until Baun patted his back, "It's ok. We need to go." Luc opened his eyes to see the rebels' bodies splayed out on the courtyard floor, and Marshal Victor's security detail standing over them. Luc wanted to kick himself for being so cowardly, but Baun galloped towards the exit. Luc gave a last glance to the dead bodies, and then urged his mount forward.

The two galloped through the city, dodging the ongoing skirmishes here and there that supposedly tied-up the marshal's troops. In all honesty, Luc did not see how under-armed rebels could bottle up an entire corps of the army.

When the two reached a corner, Baun quickly drew his saber and reared his horse. Luc turned the corner just in time to see a rebel aiming a rifle at the mounted captain. In a blink of the eye, the saber was down, and embedded in the rebel's chest. The rebel dropped his rifle, and grasped the blade, blood pouring out from in-between his fingers. As he slumped to the ground, he tried to draw breath but made a choking noise. His head rolled back, and he died on his knees, holding the blade of the saber.

Luc was ambivalent and mesmerized. He instinctively wanted to look away, but his head said 'no.' This was his future, war would be his life. If he could not stomach seeing one man die, how could he send thousands of men to their potential deaths and defend the empire? A bullet ricocheted and whizzed past Luc's ear. For a moment, he thought he had been struck, and put his hand to his ear. When he realized there was no blood, he grabbed the horses reigns, "Baun, did you see that-" His vision was filled with grey and red as he felt his body thrown from the horse. A sound thundered in his ears and left them ringing. He landed hard, and his blurred vision gradually darkened until blackness overcame him...

X-X

Thanks bruh

Last edited:
Battle_of_Salamanca.jpg

MARMONT
Marshal Auguste Marmont, or rather, King Auguste, relaxed on his new throne. How only days before he went from fighting Wellington in Spain to becoming the monarch of Portugal seemed like a dream to him.

Napoleon had unexpectedly come down from France. Like a hammer shattering glass, he and the Grand Army at a strength of close to 300,000 rolled through Northern Spain, eradicating resistance as they went. Upon entering Madrid, Napoleon and King Joseph declared universal suffrage and elections to be held for the new "Senado of Spain." The Emperor also introduced a new currency to be accepted immediately. Things were quiet for a few weeks as the Emperor re-organized his army, and waited to see how Spain would react. To the Emperor's credit, there was a reduction in guerilla activity as the whole country waited to see what the reforms would do. Everyone seemed to be waiting for someone else to make a move.

Wellington broke the lull.

Understanding that Napoleon could quickly gain the upper-hand in Spain, he struck at Marmont's own force, near Salamanca. The slugfest was won by Wellington, who quickly capitalized on it by promising the Spanish people that a restored Bourbon Monarchy would feature some of the new reforms, presumably being told to do so by the gentlemen in London. Napoleon's rapid march from Madrid pushed Wellesly back to Portugal and behind the lines of Torres Vedras. The two armies avoided contact, as Wellington was banking on problems with Prussia and Russia to draw Napoleon back to France. The emperor, however, smashed the defenses and brought the fury of his war machine on the Portugese Capital. Though Oudinot, God rest his soul, was killed in action, Lisbon fell. Wellington, as he completed his successfula withdraw had cryptically promised to return one day.

Marmont chuckled, "Good luck."

A nearby attendant shot him an odd glance, but the newly-minted king ignored it. The door to the royal chambers burst open, and an envoy rushed in, "King Auguste, I have urgent news."

"Calm yourself- what is it?" Marmont said as he straightened in his seat.

The messenger swallowed, "There are reports of a British company near the northern border with Spain, villagers-"

"You come here, disturbing me, to tell me that one British company was left behind, and is roaming on the edge of my lands?"

"M-My king, I-"

"Leave me, I don't have the time for such nonsense. Besides, if it is near Spain, then it is Joseph's problem." Marmont waved his hand. The envoy bowed, and left the room.

"One company? What a joke..."

X-X

SCOTT

"Well God dam-"

"Shuddup, Bruce."

"My blasted rifle is clogged. Bugger this mud."

"Both of you, quiet." John Scott appreciated light-hearted exchange, but not when it could endanger their mission. He heard there were reports circulating that Napoleon had pacified Spain and Portugal, Scott would soon prove them wrong.

The captain turned to Rodrigo, their advisor and translator for the Iberian Mission. He was a former guerilla leader himself, who was active in north Portugal and western Spain. There had not been guerilla activity since the fall of Lisbon, however...

"The supply depot is just beyond the wall. There will be guards on that wall, and on foot rotating the watch shortly. If we move now, we can get in close, scale the wall, and then destroy the depot." Rodrigo's English was slowly improving.

"Very well then," he twisted and looked to the assembled men, "Get ready to move on mark. One... two..." Rodrigo nodded, "Three!"

Scott was the first over the mound, followed in closely by his handpicked men. They rushed the wall, just as a guard turned to spit. He exclaimed in Portuguese, and suddenly two other men were there with rifles raised. Scott did not stop, even as a bullet embedded itself in the dirt near him. When they were under the safety of the wall, Rodrigo tossed up a rope. It seemed to catch on the wall. The men took a breath, then stepped out of the shadows of the wall with their rifles at the ready. The volley caused the three soldiers to fall forward, and hit the ground nearby.

From on top the wall Scott surveyed the fort. It was quickly wakening up, and a few spotted them.

"I don't see the depot, Rodrigo."

"There it is." He said, pointing to a large wooden structure nestled in the corner of the fort.

"Bruce, grenade." Scott commanded, as he returned fire to an organized line of Portuguese. They were forming up quickly.

The man lobbed a large metal ball at the depot. It landed, nestled between the wall and the corner of the roof. As the two forces exchanged fire, Scott slowly ran out of patience, "Bruce, did you light the grenade?"

"...No sir..."

Scott dropped his rifle, and sprinted across the top of the wall to a flag post, that had a torch attached to it. He jerked the torch out of its holder, and then chucked it at the depot. He did not stick around to see what happened, "Get the hell off the wall!" They almost leaped off simultaneously and hit the ground running.

An explosion knocked them over.

Last edited:
napoleon.jpg

NAPOLEON

"Mon Empereur," Davout reigned his horse in, covered in ash with dried blood along his temple, "The Russians are retreating, but the Austrians have arrived. What would you have me do?"

Napoleon looked up, temporarily ignoring Murat and Ney. "Quickly, push the Prussians back. I want that hill. Once you've knocked them off, position your batteries and reign down fire on the far side of the river."

Davout saluted and rode off. Ever loyal, the emperor thought as he regarded his other marshals, "Eugene, Josef, Jacques, this will be our last battle together. Keep your men together, exercise good judgment, and give Davout time to get in position. All I can say is to hold the line."

The men, affected by the finality by which the emperor spoke, all saluted, and then were off. Napoleon turned to Murat, "Keep our left flank steady. Once the allies are in retreat, crash upon them with the fury of a horse lord of old."

"Mon Empereur," Murat bowed deeply, then leaped on his horse and charged away from the clearing.

"Ney, I have not fought with my men for a while... Arcola calls me... Come, prepare the Old Guard. If the line falters, we will fill it."

Ney nodded, but did not move, "Mon Empereur, you do not have to do this, I understand that your son-"

"You understand nothing, Ney. Without my son, everything I have worked for will turn to ash after I am gone. Europe rejects me. Every time I am challenged, I grind them into the dirt under my boot... yet, they keep coming. I fear I am too old, too sick, and without reason. If my son and I must die, we will die a glorious death. If I do not fall here, I will try and hold on as long as my son does. This is my fate. It is in his hands."

Ney bowed his head, "Very well, then, Mon Empereur. Allow me to follow you in glory."

Napoleon clasped the other man's shoulder, "France's glory dies with me. Join me not in defeat, but a final victory."

X-X

LUC

Luc stared at the piece of paper. He simply could not believe it. "EMPEROR NAPOLEON BONAPARTE DEAD, ALLIED ARMIES DEFEATED" The headline took the wind out of him. What was to become of France, of Europe? He read the column describing the battle: ...Marshal Davout proceeded to dislodge the Prussians, while the Austro-Russian force collided with the Grand Army. The Prussians regrouped under one Marshal Blucher, and lead an attack on the empire's center. Marshal MacDonald sparred and fought bravely, but was forced to pull back. Emperor Napoleon himself led the Old Guard, and proceeded to push the Prussians back. The emperor was believed to have been killed during a skirmish near the Otzen Bridge. Upon hearing that the emperor's body was in the hands of the Prussians, Marshal Ney ordered a charge that pushed the Prussians across the bridge and into confusion. The rest of the army was stirred by a similar bloodlust, and forced the Austro-Russian forces into and across the river, whereupon Davout's artillery shelled them. King Murat followed on their heels, disrupting their retreat, and forcing them to fight a second battle near the Elbe. Marshal Davout took command, and defeated the bloodied and disorganized Allies. Prussia, Austria, and Russia have sued for peace, meanwhile, a cavalry unit..."

Luc never thought the emperor would die in battle. It just seemed impossible.

"A sad day for everyone, no doubt." General Baun sat on the edge of the bed, looking at the newspaper, "Did you read the part about the government? No one knows what's going to happen now. The prince is sickly and far too young, the empress weak and ineffective."

Luc raised a brow, "I had almost forgotten. Tell me, general, will you support the Prince Imperial?"

Baun smiled, "Of course, he is the the next emperor of France. I have heard that Eugene Beauharnais is speeding back to Paris to assume the regency on the prince's behalf. Jerome is raising an army to ensure that Austria or Prussia do not attempt a last-ditch effort to stop us. The Grand Murat returned to Italy, to prepare his own army. Joseph is holding steady, saying that he respects his nephew's claim to the throne. Marmont has said that he will support Joseph, so Iberia is accounted for. Our wildcards here are Murat, who could easily launch an army from his Kingdom, Jerome, who could turn his German hordes on France instead of Austria, Louis Napoleon, who has left Austria for Paris or Marshal Davout- believe it or not. No one has heard what the Commander of the Grand Army is planning. Plus, the monarchists and republicans are coming out in force in Paris. We could very easily see a civil war on our hands."

The room became somber. Luc folded his hands on his lap. "I see. Emperor Murat? That would be a dandy court, I'm sure. And Davout turning against the Bonaparte's? I don't see that."

"Davout was intensely loyal, but he was loyal to Napoleon and a strong France. Maybe he sees a France under him doing better than a Bonaparte, or God save us, a Murat." Captain Baun chuckled, "Let's not talk about this now. You need to get better; I need an aide-de-camp to assist me in a final campaign against Alava and Duke Bailen. Finish what we started at Zaragoza, and return peace to Spain."

Last edited:

EUGENE

Eugene smiled as the baby grasped his finger. The close brush with death seemed to make him livelier.

The Imperial Regent patted the baby on the head, then stood up and regarded his mother, "There is a fortress outside of Grenoble, high up in the mountains that your husband had constructed. I have a small contingent of loyal soldiers there, waiting for you two. I want you both to stay there until I have sorted all this out."

Marie Louise smiled, "His father would not want us to run from a fight."

"His father would not want anything happen to his wife or son." Eugene motioned to the door, "Please, go now. I swear upon my life that after this blows over, and the time comes, your son will be emperor."

The widow smiled, and then picked up her son. "It seems like we have no choice." Everything about her was delicate and slow. She was a warm and kindly woman- not the smartest ever, but a good mother nonetheless. He escorted her out and into the carriage, closing the door behind her.

He watched as the Prince of France slowly moved away.

X-X

"Here's the problem." Marshal Massena pointed to the map of Paris. "Soult and his men control roughly a quarter of the city, and are well poised to simply overrun our fortifications in the event we march out to fight Davout."

Eugene turned to the larger map of the Empire, "I suppose Brune is still moving slowly in the south?"

Massena nodded, turning his attention to the other map, "Yes. He is having a hard time dislodging Soult's royalists, and our garrisons. I would say that in general, the majority fo the population supports the Prince Imperial. In the cities, there is a minority of republicans, and in the country, there is a minority of royalists. However, that's a generalization based on reports."

Eugene sighed, "That would only matter if we could break out of Paris." The regent stood up and looked at the serene landscape from his abortive painting days he hung in the bureau. "So, Massena, it is time to pick our poison. Should we try and brawl with Soult for Paris, or go and tackle Davout's Grand Army?"

To his credit, Massena did not seem defeated, "I believe, either option will end in a victory for us."

The regent turned, "What?"

Marshal Massena nodded, "Yes. We can defeat Soult; his forces are under-trained and not prepared to deal with regulars. Davout might be harder- but if we draw him into Paris, we can use the streets and our position to our advantage. After all, he must come to us."

"We have but sixty thousand, Davout five times that. You really think we can surmount those odds?"

Massena shrugged, "It is up to you."

Eugene sat down and stared at the maps. Minutes of silence passed by as both men looked at the maps. The Regent put his finger on the marker representing Davout's camp, "...There is another option..."

Last edited:

SCOTT

Captain John Scott peered from his spyglass- Braganca appeared very welcoming, the Afrancesado governor was very lenient in his governance and was generally regarded as a man of the people. The city was vibrant and jovial, even late at night. "Rodrigo, where is the governor’s palace?"

Rodrigo shook his head, "L'Ofen is not with the governor, he is camped out in the Domus Municipalis."

Jean-Marc Maurice de L'Ofen was the right hand of Marmont, and commander of one of the few French Militant groups left to police the country. He was infamous for his violent responses to any dissent towards Marmont, and his bullying at the polls for the new Portuguese Senate.

London had sent a message detailing that the Senates in Portugal and Spain were a perversion of democracy, and that whomever ended up with power in Paris would continue Napoleon's policy of an endless war. The note went on to say if Scott managed to keep Portugal in a state of flux, the eventual landing on Portuguese soil would be expedited and the march to Madrid that much easier. With the death of Napoleon, Wellington was able to succesfuly convince Parliament for a three-pronged invasion of Europe. Nominally, in Portugal, Holland, and Northern France. There was rumor afoot that the exhausted Allies, Austria, Prussia, and Russia, were preparing a final assault on a weakened France.

Iberia had remained fairly calm as Napoleon's Empire was flung into a civil war. The best case scenario for London and Scott was if Joseph had decided he should be emperor, throwing his hat in, and leaving Spain to rule France. Not only would Spain fall quickly, so would Portugal.

King Auguste relied heavily on his neighbor, and vice-versa. The Senates were gaining in popularity among the people who were ambivalent about the Napoleonic governments, but without the French rulers keeping them propped out, everything would collapse. Scott hoped Joseph Bonaparte had an ambitious bone in his body.

"Captain? We have a problem." Bruce said.

"What is it, private?" Scott was not in the mood.

"I think L'Ofen is behind us."

Scott got up, and looked into his spyglass- to see a dust cloud and horses charging their way.

X-X

EUGENE

Eugene got off his horse, and took a knee in front of Davout. "Marshal, I do not understand why you have turned your sword against Paris, but I beg you now- please lay down your arms. If that is too much to ask, then I will abdicate the regency, and you may assume the title. If you refuse both of these, you are my enemy, and I will defend the Prince Imperial."

"Stand up." Davout said evenly.

The Regent stood, staring at the marshal. He was truly a man of iron, unmoved by Eugene's pleas.

"... I will not accept the regency, nor will I lay down my arms."

"Very well." The Regent said grabbing his horses reigns, "I believe my business is done here-"

"Hold a moment, regent." Davout said. Eugene turned to see, shockingly, a smile on the marshal's face. "I hope my actions have not caused you too much trouble."

The regent stared, dumbstruck, "What...?"

The Iron Marshal took off his gloves and put a hand on Eugene's shoulder, "I have marched on Paris to clarify things for the prince. I moved un-harassed through the Rhineland because Jerome and Joachim agree with me, and support my deception for the sake of France."

"I do not understand?" The regent said, looking to a smiling Joseph Poniatowski.

"The Emperor always suspected that those around him were traitorous, and that they would turn on him in a moment of weakness. I have 'declared war' on the prince in order to draw them out, and crush them. Soult I saw coming... but Brune? A shame. I had planned on defeating them myself, but it appears as if you are very capable. Of the few men I hope never to see on a battlefield, Massena is one of them. So," Davout withdrew his saber, and held the pommel towards Eugene, "On behalf of the Prince Imperial, what would you have your Grand Army do?"

X-X

Good question, I hope this answers it! I'm not sure if this would be an authentic response, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Shweet.

Now, I was wondering, is there another good timeline about Napoleon's Empire surviving? I have been reading 'Napoleon's Victory' by Zach, for some inspiration and guidance, but I'm not aware of any other detailed tl like that one.

Oh, and way to go with the fisting thing. You got me.

Shweet.

Now, I was wondering, is there another good timeline about Napoleon's Empire surviving? I have been reading 'Napoleon's Victory' by Zach, for some inspiration and guidance, but I'm not aware of any other detailed tl like that one.

Oh, and way to go with the fisting thing. You got me.

Thanks your the first to comment on it. Well their is a timeline called the Dead Skunk they have just finished the Napoleonic wars but france has gotten of remarkably better in the peace deals than OTL.

That is all the napoleon centric timelines I know of

Summary of Events so far (An objective point of view):
-Spanish Guerrilleros attack a French Caravan heading for Zaragoza
-Napoleon II becomes deathly ill, and his father is deeply effected; Napoleon approves a single currency for the Empire and her 'allies'
-There is a revolt at Zaragoza, Captain Baun becomes overall commander after his superiors are killed/taken out
-Napoleon uses the Grand Army to pacify Spain, and installs Auguste Marmont as King of Portugal
-British Captain John Scott leads a small group of soldiers resisting Marmont, and creating a ripe atmosphere for a British invasion
-Napoleon is killed while fending off the Continental Allies; France enters a crisis
-A civil war erupts when Davout marches on France, he moves freely from the Rhineland to Paris
-Marshal Soult rallies to the pro-Bourbon cause
-Marshal Brune rallies to the neo-republicans
-Regent Beauharnis and Davout come together via secret agreement
-Allies prepare for another war on France

X-X
Awesome, i'll check it out, thanks abunch.

Last edited:

EUGENE

Eugene hurriedly walked from his tent to Davout's.

The French Army had taken up position around Dresden, and was ready for assault on any side. Beauharnis had been outmaneuvered, and was now facing a possibility of a million troops versus his three-hundred thousand. The odds, were not in his favor.

The Russo-Prussian armies had harassed his march to Warsaw to the point he was forced into open conflict. The strategy of knocking Prussia out then Russia was a failure- the two armies joined together and had defeated Beauharnis at Oblesk, a tiny Saxon village. Now, at Dresden, he hoped to salvage the hope of victory be repelling the Allies.

The largest problem was time, and the regent did not have much of it. While on the march, the British had landed, testing Massena's mettle. Last Beauharnais heard, there was heavy fighting around Lille. He had to show the world that France was still powerful without Napoleon, and he had to do it now.

"I want Junot and the fifth corps next to Saint-Cyr." Beauharnais said as he entered. Davout and Poniatwaski looked up. "Poniatwaski, bring the fourth corps alongside Davout, anchor his line to the Elbe. The Russians will hit hard from the South and West, and the Prussians from the North East. So... send Mortier and Moreau to hold our Eastern flank on the other side of that river. Suchet, MacDonald, Victor, and Jerome will oppose the Prussians on the other side of the Elbe."

"What of Ney?" Davout asked.

The regent shook his head, "Ney and the Guard are to stay in Dresden. If our lines falter anywhere, we will commit him. When Murat and Nansouty arrive, have Nansouty support Suchet, and Murat will report to you Davout. Druout has his cannon near the Elbe, so hopefully he will be able to assist both commands."

"Understood." Pontiawaski nodded and brusquely left the room.

"He will want his homeland to be liberated after this." Davout said, taking a seat. "Pontiawaski is such a good fighter because he fights to free his people." He motioned for Eugene to sit down too, and the beleaguered regent welcomed the reprievea.

"Yes, but to punish Prussia and Russia. I cannot stress how important this battle is, Davout. I do not know how we fare in the west, but I trust Massena to do what's best. Until the prince can take the throne, the army is the real government, and my regency is fueled by our military success. If we cannot prove victorious here, and Massena falls, we will be forced back, and have to abandon Jerome and Murat's kingdoms."

"Have no fear, my regent. As long as the Austrians do not join the battle, and we can use the rivers and keep them from breaking our ring, we will win. The Tsar will be foolhardy off of his minor victory, and believe that just flinging his men at us will cause us to break. We will not."

"I pray you are right." The regent stared off into space behind the Iron Marshal, "I pray you are right."

Last edited:
Kutuzovborodino.jpg

OLGACHEV

Vladimir took aim. He was not quite sure if the French were even close enough to get hit by his shot, by the captain told him to fire anyway.

"Fire!"

Vladimir unloaded, and the smoke prevented him from seeing anything right away. In a moment though, he realized he was right.

He heard the fighting was raging in front of Beauharnais' camp, where Marshal Davout and de Tolly were slugging it out. The Prussians had apparently broken Jerome Bonaparte's corps, but Murat and Nansouty had taken the field just as they tried to roll up the French lines. The fighting hadn't been as heavy along the western front, and Vladimir was wondering if they had been forgotten

"Hey, Olgachev!"

Vladimir turned and saw one of his fellow riflemen pointing.

Off in the distance, he could see a large body of men in white moving their way.

"It's the Austrians!"

"Bout time they got here." Vladimir said, hoping the French could see what he was seeing. Maybe they would just give up when they realized they were so outnumbered.

He could hear a cannon fire, and realized the Austrians had already opened fire with their artillery. Are they close enough to hit the French?

Vladimir was thrown violently forward, landing in a small ditch. He grasped for his rifle, but could not grab it. The man looked down to see his arms were gone, and that most of his battalion was now a crater.

"The Austrians... what the hell..."
X-X

Thank you sir.

Last edited:
"Understood." Pontiawaski nodded and brusquely left the room.

"He will want his homeland to be liberated after this." Davout said, taking a seat. "Pontiawaski is such a good fighter because he fights to free his people." He motioned for Eugene to sit down too, and the beleaugered regent welcomed the reprive.
Add Russian & Prussian Poland to Congress Poland and Get ????:confused:
"The Austrians... what the hell..."
?Interesting to see what the Austrians get out out of this?

?Wondering about Sweden? By this time OTL Bernadotte was joining the British Collilition.

dragspainys6.jpg

LUC
Marked: Urgent
To: 33 Casamelia, Vigo

Dear Anna,

The fighting in Portugal has intensified greatly. General Baun has promoted me as a General de division. I declined. Wouldn’t you know it, today I write to you as a general- Baun has a habit of getting his way. The other day, I engaged a British force attempting to flank the Baun’s position. I’ll try and keep the summary quick: Baun and his men were fighting for a city- who’s name escapes me- and neglected to cover their side. A small forest shielded the British advance, and if I had not been delayed on entering the battlefield, I would have likely been caught in a massacre. Just as the British broke the tree line, I brought my infantrymen up and we held strong. Eventually, as the sun set, the British withdrew. No one claims a victory, but the men are calling me a hero for preventing an early grave for all of us. I have not told the men the reason we broke camp and arrived so late on the battlefield was a woman, but… I miss you dearly, and hope to see you when we have pushed the British back into the sea where they came from. Please, write to me as soon as you can. It pains me to be away from you.

Ever yours,

General Luc de L’Ofen

"General! The commander says we have to move out soon!"

"Very well." Luc looked the letter over again, sealed it, and handed it to the courier. The boy seemed slightly nervous, so the newly minted general decided to give him a quick pep talk, "You lose this, I'll cut your balls off. If you are captured, burn it, or eat it, I don't care. This is precious information, it would be disatorous if it fell in the wrong hands. Do you understand me?"

The courier nodded, and was off. Luc smiled, perhaps he was fit to be a general after all.

X-X

Thank you all! It's encouraging to see people interested.

...As to Bernadotte... well... I don't want to say I forgot... But he will definitely be in the next post... definitely...

Last edited: