The Kennedys with Nixon victory, 1960

The basic idea is what happens to the Kennedy political family (JFK, Bobby, the rest of them.) if Nixon had won the 1960 election?

Seems to me a lot would depend on how JFK's health progresses: if his struggle with Addison's disease doesn't go well, 1960 could turn out to be his only shot. If his health held, I could see him sitting out 1964 in favor of another try in 1968. By then, Nixon, somewhat of a centrist, might have kept the GOP as a fairly wide range party. It's debatable whether Rockefeller could have gotten the nomination, but Bill Scranton sure could have. Scranton, as a member of the Nixon administration (some fairly high-ranking cabinet position?) would probably have had fairly broad appeal, so a '68 race between Scranton and JFK would have been one between two rather high quality candidates.

Now, if JFK's health doesn't hold and '60 turns out to be a one shot, I wouldn't look for Bobby before '68 and possibly '72 as he builds something of a base. And Teddy...I don't think he'd ever get a shot at the nomination. Too much of a lightweight to too many people.

JFK probably does another term or two in the Senate and then retires or becomes a cabinet member of a Democratic administration elected in 1964 or 1968 ('68 being more likely, I can see Nixon getting re elected). I don't think his health would be up for another Presidential run. I don't see Bobby seeking elected office of his own in a TL where Jack loses to Nixon, so I think the "Kennedy left standing" would be Ted, who would get elected to public office later than OTL as his brother would still be a Senator after 1960 TTL, so my guess for Ted would be 1976 or 1980 at the earliest.

If Nixon and Lodge won the presidential race in 1960, the question of whether John F. Kennedy would have made another presidential run in 1964 or beyond and what would this have meant to his brothers and their political careers. I am wondering aloud whether the Nixon of 1960 would have been able to resist escalating the war in Vietnam. While the Nixon of 1960 certainly looks more moderate than the Nixon of our timeline, I question that. Would not Nixon have been pulled to the right by supporters of Goldwater? Where would Nixon have been on civil rights? I imagine he would have swung right if he saw political victory in it. So I would see Nixon as a kind of LBJ without the Great Society and with the albatross of Vietnam around his administration. Nixon would have been just as much as an inspiration of hatred in the 1960s. Perhaps Jack Kennedy runs in 1968 as a kind of man capable of uniting America after years of division and revolution.

Would it have been possible to have Camelot simply come later? Probably not without an assassination. But I wonder if a tanned, glamorous and well-funded Kennedy would not have seemed a remarkably positive shift from the imperfections of Dick Nixon fighting an unpopular war in Asia and fighting against civil rights.

I do wonder aloud if the order of offices sought might have changed. If Jack Kennedy fails to win the presidency in 1960, then perhaps Sargent Shriver would be the Democratic candidate for Governor of Illinois in 1964. He ran the Merchandise Mart, had been head of the Chicago Board of Education and certainly would have had Daley's machine behind him.

If Nixon and Lodge won the presidential race in 1960, the question of whether John F. Kennedy would have made another presidential run in 1964 or beyond and what would this have meant to his brothers and their political careers. I am wondering aloud whether the Nixon of 1960 would have been able to resist escalating the war in Vietnam. While the Nixon of 1960 certainly looks more moderate than the Nixon of our timeline, I question that. Would not Nixon have been pulled to the right by supporters of Goldwater? Where would Nixon have been on civil rights? I imagine he would have swung right if he saw political victory in it. So I would see Nixon as a kind of LBJ without the Great Society and with the albatross of Vietnam around his administration. Nixon would have been just as much as an inspiration of hatred in the 1960s. Perhaps Jack Kennedy runs in 1968 as a kind of man capable of uniting America after years of division and revolution.

Would it have been possible to have Camelot simply come later? Probably not without an assassination. But I wonder if a tanned, glamorous and well-funded Kennedy would not have seemed a remarkably positive shift from the imperfections of Dick Nixon fighting an unpopular war in Asia and fighting against civil rights.

Nixon is far more likely to get involved in Cuba with an alternate bay of pigs than he in South Asia, Nixon, based on what i've read would have been far more inclined to pour resources in for the South Vietnamese but not necessarily pour in troops. As for Civil Rights, Nixon was according to literature of the campaign equal and perhaps more in favor of it than Kennedy.

I feel Bobby has the best chance of getting into the White House. JFK still have Addison's disease, but he could live up to the ealry 70s at best, maybe even 76. A lot also depends on who the Republican challenger is. Be either George Romney or Will Scranton. Rommey is sufficiently liberal and centrist and will pull from Bobby's support base, while Scranton will have a good hold on the East Coast.

Also the fact the Dems now had two Catholic candidate (Al Smith and John Kennedy), and they both lost. Bobby has a uphill fight on his hands.

Nixon will push, and pass a Civil Rights Bill, which we will see a split in the Democratic Party. The Northern Democrats would favor the CRA, Southern Democrats would oppose it. (While the Republicans stay the party of Civil Rights and of Abe Lincoln.)

We also won't see a Cuban missile crisis, since Nixon was a well known anti-Communist whereas Kennedy was seen as more as an unknown (despite having strong anti-Communist sympathies himself). Khrushchev won't put pressure on Nixon because Nixon is a more identifiable quality. As for a Bay of Pigs war...bye, bye Cuba. Khrushchev would be force to throw Castro under the bus as Nixon won't play around.

I think that either the bay of pigs would create an analogue of Vietnam or Nixon would take military advice over the Cuban missile crisis. We in Europe would not be here

Lionizing JFK and vilifying Nixon are part of how things went rather than how they might go. If Nixon wins in 1960 I suspect his first administration looks little different from Eisenhower. The GOP should remain broader based on Eisenhower Republicans staying in the loop, Civil Rights might get a stronger backing and become a bigger issue domestically, the space race might not be as dynamic or bold but I doubt Nixon is as restrained as Ike and likely at least as aggressive as JFK, maybe more so. I am not certain this Nixon would do more than aid the RVN and use air power to stop the North, as others said I think he is way more belligerent with Cuba and might be more committed to showing strength in Europe. His second term might get dicey as he strikes out to affirm his stamp on the Presidency. Civil Rights likely has become the real battleground and there likely is no overlay of Vietnam. That should complicate the Democrats campaign. If JFK is healthy I think he runs more like a centrist and less as the youthful winds of change we imagine him from 1960. He might even steer the Democrats slightly conservative compared to the "progressive" Nixon. I think RFK has settled into law and might take a Cabinet post, Ted likely has worked his way up in the House. If JFK is sick or dead before 1968 then Ted might have moved to the Senate and RFK is the head of the family and I would think not really political aside from advocacy and fund raising. We should have a Democrat from 1968 to 1976 and a Republican from 1976 to 1984, that puts Ted's next shot after 1984. If he matures as a statesman, remains liberal and if the winds are blowing to the left in 1984, then maybe a Kennedy gets in the White House. Hunter S Thompson where are you?