The Justiniad --- A Heraclian Timeline

a lot of the fututure emperors would be generals Apsimar later tiberius III was a commander from what i read you included an oc Stephen irl there was a Stephen the persian, the other problems if we dont know some people were in position in the first reing like Theophylact Salibas and Theodore Karteroukas, though i wonder would mauros be restored in this timeline
Generals are always a threat to Emperors, especially when they feel their life is at risk, so one should keep an eye on Leontios. As for the OC, Stephen is entirely different from OTL Stephen the Persian, but I can assure you we will see the tax man eventually. As for Salibas, Karteroukas, and Mauros, the circumstances which brought them to the forefront later will not be happening.

Last edited:
Chapter VIII: Heraclius
Chapter VIII: Heraclius

May, 692, Constantinople

The entire chamber was filled to the brim with priests. Over two-hundred had come, all of them gathered in a great domed chamber of the Palace, and all of them engaged in a great shouting match. They had argued all day over the issue of the Holy Communion, whether it should be served with diluted or undiluted wine. Every word that had been yelled out or spoken grated on Heraclius. Ever since the Council had started they had been grating on him, all the arguments raised and “heresies” denounced. They argued over petty things, like dressing codes and holidays, as if a peasant celebrating the Kalends [1] would lead to the damnation of all Rome.

They had been arguing about the wine for hours now. Those in favor of undiluted wine had gathered on the right side of the chamber and were led by an Armenian bishop, Symbatios. He was a loud and bombastic man, and one who refused to give up on the practices his kinsmen followed. Heraclius felt exasperated, the mere action of sitting and moderating these rowdy bishops felt like herding a swarm of cats. He tried to focus himself, to muster whatever energy he had left and pull through the day, but his attempt was shattered by a loud shout from one of the back rows.

“Monophysite!” the man cried out.

The chamber went silent for a moment, but soon became filled with a cacophony of shouts and cries. Accusations of heresy flew across the room, every bishop branded a Monophysite or Monothelite by an opponent. The chaos grew so ferocious that the soldiers outside the room entered and placed themselves in front of the stands where the bishops were seated. They slammed their spears against their shields in an attempt to silence the racket, but Heraclius had finally had it. He rose from his seat to the right of the empty throne, and the sea of bishops calmed with a frightening quickness.

“I request my leave of you, honorable fathers.” Heraclius called out. “I must relieve myself.”

The chamber remained silent as he walked out, not even the faintest of whispers could be heard. Heraclius did not look at them as he left, but he could assume that they were left slack jawed by his departure.

As Heraclius stepped out of the chamber and into the hall he heard the large bronze doors slam shut behind him. The silence in the hall was calming, and he felt the intense pressure in his head abate. He sat down on one of the waiting benches within the hall and relaxed himself. The bishops were sure to be going at it again, though he couldn’t hear them through the thick doors. Still, it was not his problem to worry about.

Heraclius still didn’t understand why his brother had called the Council in the first place. Had their father not halted the last of the major heresies? Did Justinian really care that much about people breaking Lent on the weekends [2]? It seemed a waste of both time and resources to Heraclius, and he simply couldn’t be bothered to care. Those priests could come to a sensible conclusion, or they could rip themselves to shreds like Maenads, the outcome did not bother him. And if it bothered Justinian, then let him call another council, and this time mediate it himself.

He shook his head. He reminded himself that he was attempting to ease his mind, not strain it with further worries. Heraclius let his body slouch on the bench, and absorbed the peaceful quiet of the palace halls.

The loud creaking of the doors awoke him from this trance, and as they opened a small deacon slipped through and approached Heraclius.

“Oh Most Noble One [3], we humbly request your presence once more, to continue officiating our Holy Council.”

“Have you put a halt to your discord and uncouth name-calling?” Heraclius scoffed.

“Yes, Most Noble One, after persuasion we have decided to put the issue to a vote, and we request that you oversee it.”

“As you wish.”

Heraclius followed the deacon into the domed chamber once more, and the bishops seated in the hall remained still upon his entry, though he could hear the occasional whisper cut through the stands. He took his place and stood in front of the throne, speaking to the congregation.

“Have both sides of the issue made their cases clear?” he inquired.

“Yes, Most Noble One.” one of the bishops near to him replied.

“Then the vote should be taken. All those who wish for the use of undiluted wine in the Holy Communion, rise.”

A large part of the room rose on his call, and the scribes who stood on the edges of the chamber took count. Once they had finished, they nodded to Heraclius and encouraged him to continue.

“Please be seated. And may those who wish for the use of only diluted wine in the Holy Communion, rise.”

An even amount of men rose as well, and the scribes took count of them too. Not a man had abstained from the vote, at least as far as Heraclius could tell. Once the scribes had finished, he told the bishops to be seated as well.

The chamber filled with murmurs as the scribe approached him, bishops sharing worried thoughts and terrified glances. The scribe stood beside Heraclius and showed him the parchment upon which the total was written.

“One-hundred and thirteen in favor of diluted wine, One-hundred and two against. The motion passes into canon.” [4] he announced.

The bishops burst into grumbling and growling once more. Heraclius noticed the Patriarch was among them, his aged face wrinkled even more by his scowl of disapproval. Symbatios seemed smug in contrast, and Heraclius was sure he had been the one to push for the undiluted wine. No matter, the council had regained its bearings, and Heraclius was glad to be done with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] The Quinisext Council forbade any celebration of the Kalends (first day of each month) as well as other Pre-Christian holidays (Canon 62).
[2] OTL Quinisext Council too forbade the consumption of eggs and dairy products on the weekends of Lent, a common practice in Armenia (Canon 56).
[3] A literal translation of the Byzantine Court title “Nobelissimos”. It was the second highest court title after Caesar and regularly given to members of the Imperial family.
[4] OTL the Quinisext Council forbade the use of diluted wine in Communion (Canon 32). However, without the strong presence of Justinian to railroad the Council, and the ambivalence of Heraclius, the Council is not going to give Justinian the outcome he desired.

Last edited:
For us, modern people, this topics are really ridiculous. But for them, all of that was very important. Don't judge them for not being like us.

These disputes are as ridiculous as "How many angels can stand on the tip of a needle".
One must remember that the wine is the blood of Christ poured out for mankind. To water it down is to water down Christ's blood ie his very nature. Which has implications of monophysitism which was not looked kindly upon by the Chalcedonian Church. Everything it Christianity in it's own way points to Christ, so to alter them in anyway especially the Eucharist is not something to be done lightly.

One must remember that the wine is the blood of Christ poured out for mankind. To water it down is to water down Christ's blood ie his very nature. Which has implications of monophysitism which was not looked kindly upon by the Chalcedonian Church. Everything it Christianity in it's own way points to Christ, so to alter them in anyway especially the Eucharist is not something to be done lightly.
Sorry, it's just after learning about the unmarked graveyards around Christian run Residential School system, on top of the culture of pedophilia among church clergy. I do not give a FUCK about Christian theology.:mad:

Sorry, it's just after learning about the unmarked graveyards around Christian run Residential School system, on top of the culture of pedophilia among church clergy. I do not give a FUCK, about Christian theology if my life depended on it.:mad:
I understand why such issues would seem frivolous to any non-Christian, and to many Christians as well. Hell at first I thought this council was only preoccupied with superficial and harmless details. But like stated above, these issues are pretty central to the doctrine and idea of Christianity itself, and to how people practice the faith. And I don't think you should discount the beliefs and practices of over 2 billion people, due to the actions of a select nation or group of clergy.

Also I just wanted to clarify something real quick, I made a pretty stupid error near the end of the last post. DILUTED WINE was what entered the canon, not OTL UNDILUTED. The whole council is going to lean more towards the Armenian side of things rather than the more Orthodox Greek style it followed without the domineering Justinian.

I understand why such issues would seem frivolous to any non-Christian, and to many Christians as well. Hell at first I thought this council was only preoccupied with superficial and harmless details. But like stated above, these issues are pretty central to the doctrine and idea of Christianity itself, and to how people practice the faith. And I don't think you should discount the beliefs and practices of over 2 billion people, due to the actions of a select nation or group of clergy.

Also I just wanted to clarify something real quick, I made a pretty stupid error near the end of the last post. DILUTED WINE was what entered the canon, not OTL UNDILUTED. The whole council is going to lean more towards the Armenian side of things rather than the more Orthodox Greek style it followed without the domineering Justinian.
Yeah sorry about that, all my life in the church since becoming a teenager has been hearing "The Church is evil" cliche left, right and center.

Also will we get a POV from Tervel of the Bulgars?