The Justiniad --- A Heraclian Timeline

If you go with the youngest year proposed for his birth (669) Justinian is at least 23, which while not extremely young is still pretty fresh compared to those around him.
My brain did a fucky wucky at 3 AM and got the date of his deposition mingled with that of the Battle of Sebastopolis.

Yeah he did, both became Emperor at around the age of 16. Of course that's still pretty young by any standard, even 23 is still pretty young on the political scene.
Fair enough, although I am curious how the Frankish realm under the Carolingian dynasty will change from otl.

Last edited:
I'd rather see the Merovingians continue on. Or for something more interesting happen with the Franks rather than "they inevitably end up just doing what they did OTL".

Fair enough, although I am curious how the Frankish realm under the Carolingian dynasty will change from otl.
I'd rather see the Merovingians continue on. Or for something more interesting happen with the Franks rather than "they inevitably end up just doing what they did OTL".
Imma be real with you. I have no intention of continuing this after Justinian's death and I don't really know how to factor the Franks without impeding the whole pacing of the story. I can say that Spain and Italy will see some changes, but they'll be kept brief and not focused on too heavily.

Last edited:
Imma be real with you. I have no intention of continuing this after Justinian's death and I don't really know how to factor the Franks without impeding the whole pacing of the story. I can say that Spain and Italy will see some changes, but they'll be kept brief and not focused on too heavily.
Blessed.

I take comfort that you planned out the conclusion, rather than keep going until you can no longer.

Yeah, glad you guys see the same way. And I guess picking "The Justiniad" was the right choice, since this is the story of Justinian, and focused on him and the things that affect him.
My Irene of Athens SI will only cover her lifetime, so I can relate to wanting to keep a story short and sweet.

Same with one TL I have focused on the Amorian dynasty.

Since I have a whole boatload of essays due, and exams to study for, next update won't come out until like Sunday maybe, or at the very least Wednesday. Sorry for the long wait.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
Since I have a whole boatload of essays due, and exams to study for, next update won't come out until like Sunday maybe, or at the very least Wednesday. Sorry for the long wait.
Hey man, who do you think you are! You...don't owe us a single damn thing. Take care of yourself and your studies first. Hit those books and don't be sorry for making yourself a priority. Good luck and I hope it's all straight A's!

Hey man, who do you think you are! You...don't owe us a single damn thing. Take care of yourself and your studies first. Hit those books and don't be sorry for making yourself a priority. Good luck and I hope it's all straight A's!
Thanks! Glad you appreciate it so much.

Chapter IV: Anastasia the Elder
Chapter IV: Anastasia the Elder

April, Constantinople, 692

The celebration of the triumph had long since died down, the blanket of the night sky was drawn over The City. The races of the Hippodrome had long since finished and the crowds had dispersed. Even the Great Palace had gone quiet, the numerous bureaucrats and nobles returning to their homes and the candles of the building snuffed out, the great mosaics and patterns of the palace walls hidden behind a veil of darkness. Nevertheless, Anastasia continued to walk through the hall of the Daphne [1], searching for whatever hole Heraclius had dug himself into.

She found him eventually, the room Heraclius was in being the only one with light emanating from under the door. Anastasia forced the bronze plated door open and saw Heraclius seated at a table, an empty cup in front of him. He was dressed in a simple tunic and sandals, and seemed to have discarded the royal bearings and clothes which he had worn during the triumph. Anastasia glared at him as she entered the room, walking in at a slow pace.

“Why were you not at the games?” she asked.

Heraclius refused to make eye contact, instead staring at the cup in front of him.

“You refused to join us in the Kathisma, and instead pissed off and disappeared! Where did you go exactly?”

He still paid her no mind, his face emotionless and eyes focused away from her.

“You made a scene, you know that. They were all snickering and whispering in front of us, disrespecting our noble family because of you.”

He seemed to have winced slightly at that, but still continued to ignore her.

“I bet you were out drinking all day, too lazy to do the job your brother gave you.”

“I was not.” Heraclius mumbled, eyes still intently focused on his cup.

“Sure” Anastasia scoffed, “but yet you still chose to hide away and make a scene. Do you have no respect for your mother? For the sacred office we hold?”

Heraclius glanced at her for a second, but quickly turned his eyes away to the curved window [2] in the room. “I was tired of the shouting.” he whispered out, barely audible under his own breath.

“You were tired of the shouting?” she let out a short chuckle, “You really are a bitch! Thank God your father had the sense to not make you Emperor with your brother!”

Heraclius’s fists clenched at the mention. “I don’t give a shit about the plebs or whatever they think, I’m above it.”

“Sure, you’re so above it all you ran away. You went and hit the taps like the useless coward you are.” Anastasia smirked.

“I was not fucking drinking.”

“Sometimes I wonder how far you’d have fallen if you hadn’t had the fortune of being born into this family!”

Heraclius finally turned his eyes towards her. “Will you ever shut up? Every single action I make is a mistake in your eyes, every fucking breath is a sin to you!”

“That’s because it is! Every success in your life has been because you rode off of your brother, and not on your own merit. You disgraced us at the triumph, and you’ll probably disgrace us further at the Council! Why your brother has you act in his name while he’s away is beyond anyone’s comprehension.”

Heraclius’s face twisted into a mix of anger and contempt. “I don’t give a fuck about what you have to say, you old hag! You chirp on and on, but you aren’t saying shit! Just whining like a child!”

Anastasia’s reddened face turned brighter at the insult. “You have not a single ounce of shame in you boy! You would insult God if he came to tell you of your shortcomings!”

Heraclius too turned red, his face seeming as if it were dyed, and he rose from his chair with speed. He glared at her, and Anastasia could clearly see the rage in his bulging eyes. He ran towards Anastasia and shoved her past the door, slamming it shut in her face. She was stunned that this little boy had grown so disrespectful, shoving her and slamming doors in her face. “May God dig up your bones! [3]” she yelled, banging her fists against the bronze plating of the door.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] The section of the Great Palace where the Imperial Family slept and resided in.
[2] Late Roman windows are often curved rather than being on a flat plain like modern ones.
[3] A common Byzantine insult at the time.

Last edited:
The wait was worth seeing how much of a dysfunctional mess the Heraclian Family was at the time. What Constantine IV saw in Ass-astasia is beyond me.
Assastasia? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Also I should say, the horrible family dynamic is 100% my own creative liberty. We don't know anything about any of them, so I decided to have some fun with the figures and make stuff more interesting.