The Justiniad --- A Heraclian Timeline

Prologue: Justinian II
The Justiniad
---
A Heraclian Timeline

Prologue

Justinian II stood outside of his tent, looking at the shoreline. The sun was setting, and the battle won, the fields of Sebastopolis stained red with the blood of Romans and Arabs alike. The sound of the waves relaxed him, the smell of the sea breeze letting his body and mind forget the terrible screams and carnage of the battle. It was brutal, but at least it was a victory, something which had been rare in this time. He thought for a second, pondering the recent string of victories he and his father had achieved in the face of their overwhelming foes. He didn’t have long to think though, as he was approached from behind by his General.

“Basileus, I have news of the prisoners.” Leontios spoke, distinguished by his aged and rough voice.

“Speak General, what information have you gained?” Justinian replied, slightly disinterested. He had little care of what those heathen prisoners had to say under the screws.

“We have captured their leader sir, Mouameth, the brother of their chief Abimelech [1].”

Justinian turned to face his General, the peace that had formerly filled his mind now cleared out, replaced by the reality of the situation around him.

“You are entirely sure it is their leader, and not a man you may have confused for him?” asked Justinian.

“Yes sir, he was found with 5 other men around him, all guarding him, as they would their liege.” Leontios said, “And one of our officers claims to recognize him from previous campaigns.”

Justinian gave a wiry smile, gleeful at the capture of the chief Saracen commander, and brother to their monarch. “Well General, take me to him. I wish to see the captain of the host we have vanquished.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] In reference to Muhammad ibn Marwan and the Caliph Abd al-Malik. The Greek transliterations of their names are used in text, as is the Greek title given to the Caliph, that of "Chief"

This is my first shot at a Timeline of my own! The main POD here is a victory for Byzantine forces at the Battle of Sebastopolis, and the capture of Muhammad ibn Marwan. I wanted to write this timeline as essentially a "What if Justinian II had a decent reign". I should also mention that this is NOT about Justinian I, the one familiar in our popular memory, but instead of Justinian II, the last Heraclian Emperor to rule Eastern Rome. Hope y'all enjoy.

Last edited:
An interesting premise! Curious to see where you'll take this. Hopefully the empire manages to avoid the anarchy, the loss of Africa and keeps its attention both in the East and West.

Came to the beautiful title (Justiniad? I’m kicking myself for never coming up with anything that clever), and I’m staying for the unique WI. We will watch your career with great interest.

Long live the glory of Roma!

Wow. That blew up way faster than I thought it would, especially since it's 10 PM for me rn. I'm glad so many people enjoyed it and have hopes for the future
An interesting premise! Curious to see where you'll take this. Hopefully the empire manages to avoid the anarchy, the loss of Africa and keeps its attention both in the East and West.
Yeah there will be no Twenty Years Anarchy, which most certainly means a much stronger Rome. But one should probably keep an eye on the Umayyads given their current situation.
Came to the beautiful title (Justiniad? I’m kicking myself for never coming up with anything that clever), and I’m staying for the unique WI. We will watch your career with great interest.

Long live the glory of Roma!
Really? Lmfao it was a placeholder name, and I had no idea what to replace it with. I thought about calling it "A Herculean Effort" but that felt too cheesy.

Wow. That blew up way faster than I thought it would, especially since it's 10 PM for me rn. I'm glad so many people enjoyed it and have hopes for the future

Yeah there will be no Twenty Years Anarchy, which most certainly means a much stronger Rome. But one should probably keep an eye on the Umayyads given their current situation.

Really? Lmfao it was a placeholder name, and I had no idea what to replace it with. I thought about calling it "A Herculean Effort" but that felt too cheesy.
"The once and future Empire." I hope.

>doing the timeline i myself have been sitting on for a while

Oh well, you know what they say about early birds and all that. :laugh:

Congrats!

Congrats!
Honestly, are you even an alternate history fan if you’ve never wanted to do a Justinian TL? I’ve wanted to do one since before I even joined lol

Don’t change the name! It’s pretty good!
Not gonna change it now that I realize it was probably clickbait for any fanboys of the old Petrus Sabbatius

Congrats!
Whoops lmao. I just finished reading Constance Head's book on Justinian II and felt that I had to do a timeline on him. I'd be glad to take any advice if you have it, I only have a weak framework of where to take this timeline

Last edited: