The Iron Spear (Alternate Swedish AFV Development)

Swedish tank development post-1945 was not that great. There were numerous false starts and failed projects during the 1950s, with the end result being that a lot of equipment stayed in frontline service beyond when it probably should have. It also resulted in the Swedish Army having to buy equipment from other countries, even though Sweden has a quite capable domestic armaments industry.

This is going to be a fairly narrowly focused timeline discussing how things could have gone a bit better (in my opinion). Most of my information will be sourced from the excellent Swedish Tank Archives: http://tanks.mod16.org/ , although I'll pull bits and pieces from elsewhere as needed.

Stockholm, 1947

"So the deal is agreed to then; 50 surplus Sherman tanks, and associated spare parts and maintenance equipment, for the sum of 70,000 pounds?"

"Yes, the results of the trials have been very positive. And since you are willing to throw in the spare parts, my primary concern is alleviated. It is officially up to my superiors, of course, but I believe they will listen to my recommendation."

"Even with the increase in price?"

"It is worth it; fifty tanks for less than the price of two new m/42s? It would be foolish not to acquire such good equipment so cheaply. Now, how soon can we be expecting delivery of these vehicles?"

"I cannot give you a definite answer until the paperwork goes through, but I expect they shall be delivered within 120 days. Some of these tanks have been surplus since 1945, it will take a bit of time to get them cleaned up."

"That is no problem. Thank you, and the beer is on me tonight."

On September 1, 1947, the Sherman V was officially accepted into Swedish Army service as the Stridsvagn m/47. In total, 50 tanks would be delivered.

Background: The Swedish military actually did test out several Shermans in the late 1940s: http://tanks.mod16.org/2016/09/30/swedish-impressions-of-the-sherman/
http://tanks.mod16.org/2016/10/01/swedish-impressions-of-the-sherman-part-2/

Judging by the reports, they had a very positive impression of the tank. They were also looking to expand their inventory of modern tanks; the Strv m/42 was decent but had issues (I have heard some very non-complimentary things about the gearbox), and the L-60 has virtually nil antitank capability in 1947.

The point of divergence here is that the Swedes are able to negotiate with the British to get some more spares (at a bit of extra cost), so the deal goes through and the tanks get delivered in late 1947. I haven't been able to find anything specific on what types of Sherman the deal would have been for, so I'm going to assume they're all Sherman Vs (M4A4s) with the 75mm M3 gun. I'm guessing that the British would have been less willing to part with Fireflies, especially at such a low price, so the Swedes are stuck with the normal 75mm for now.

Last edited:
I will be watching this with interest. With Shermans the need to buy Centurions will be decreased, giving more time to develop either the lighter 25 ton Landsverk tank or the EMIL. So im thinking that we might lose out on the glorious S-tank. Which while funky and cool in it's own right was fairly quickly overtaken by technology as i understand it.

The Centurions were great tanks but they were rather outdated in the 80's and 90's even with the upgrades.

Edit: I don't know how far you intend to take this TL. But i hope we will see some of the rather intereesting concepts from the 70's and beyond. :)

I want this - UDES XX-20. It's cool, and it has a name which might come out of some Japanese animation.

udes12.jpg

That would work very nicely.

I wonder if this TL would see the Swedes join NATO.

I doubt it, but in any case I'm not planning on delving into international politics (besides how it might affect weapon imports/exports). Sweden was able to get Centurions in the 1950s, and later the L7, despite not being officially in NATO.

I will be watching this with interest. With Shermans the need to buy Centurions will be decreased, giving more time to develop either the lighter 25 ton Landsverk tank or the EMIL. So im thinking that we might lose out on the glorious S-tank. Which while funky and cool in it's own right was fairly quickly overtaken by technology as i understand it.

The Centurions were great tanks but they were rather outdated in the 80's and 90's even with the upgrades.

Edit: I don't know how far you intend to take this TL. But i hope we will see some of the rather intereesting concepts from the 70's and beyond. :)

I have at least until around 1960 pretty well planned out (aside from some finer details of possible vehicle designs but I have the general plans laid out), and I'm planning on keeping the Sherman in service until the late 70s in some capacity, and I'm going to cover that.

I doubt it, but in any case I'm not planning on delving into international politics (besides how it might affect weapon imports/exports). Sweden was able to get Centurions in the 1950s, and later the L7, despite not being officially in NATO.

I have at least until around 1960 pretty well planned out (aside from some finer details of possible vehicle designs but I have the general plans laid out), and I'm planning on keeping the Sherman in service until the late 70s in some capacity, and I'm going to cover that.

If they are upgraded with the same gun as the Strv 74 then they might serve a similar role as infantry support. And those tanks stayed until 1982. So late 70'is seems reasonable. With the need for a new tank in the 1950's i reckon that replacing it will be for the 70's. So hopefully the timing of designing and building new tanks is a bit better in ATL

The Strv m/47 In Swedish Service, Initial History

The Swedish Army performed several minor modifications to their Sherman Vs upon receiving them in September 1947: these included fitting of a Swedish radio, metric instruments, and other very minor changes. However, the main and secondary armament of the tank, as well as major systems such as the powertrain remained unchanged. Fortunately, both the M2 and M1919 machine guns used on the Strv m/47 were already in Swedish military service.

Swedish tank crews immediately took a liking to the Sherman. The tanks were reliable and easy to maintain, while the thicker armor (compared to the Strv m/42) gave the crews confidence (the reliability was even more appreciated by Swedish mechanics). The tanks were also easy to drive, allowing soldiers to adjust to it quickly from other tanks in the Swedish Army.

The addition of 50 modern tanks to the Swedish Army was a sizable increase, and allowed for some reorganization. The old, machine-gun armed Strv m/37s on Gotland were finally retired from front-line service; some were sent to training units, while a few were dug-in as pillboxes. They were replaced by L-60s (Strv m/38,m/39,m/40) still in service, along with some Strv m/41s (the two units that received the Strv m/47 actually converted from m/41s). For the time being, the Strv m/42s were kept in front-line armored units, along with the Strv m/47. Fifty tanks was obviously not enough to replace the more than 200 Strv m/42s built, and in any case, the m/42 was still decently capable.

This is not to say that there were not some challenges. The tracks on the Strv m/47 proved to have difficulty in ice and snow, and by 1949 were soon replaced by a new track of Swedish design. A much larger difficulty was caused by the tank's weight. The Strv m/42, previously the heaviest tank in Swedish service, weighed about 22 tons, maybe a bit more if fully loaded with a squad of infantry riding on the back. Many other armored vehicles, like the m/41 or Sav m/43 weighed 12 tons or less. Meanwhile, the Strv m/47 tipped the scales at about 35 tons! This had been one of the main worries about adoption of the Strv m/47, and there were some problems. While most roads were able to handle the tank's weight, several bridges were not. On exercises in 1948 and 1949, there were multiple instances where the m/47s had to ford a river or take a longer route while the lighter m/41s and m/42s were able to head directly to the destination. However, it turned out that these difficulties were not insurmountable. The tank had solid off-road capabilities, and was still light enough to be easily moved by rail or ferry. The Army was able to use to issue to get a few bridge upgrades in key areas attached to government budgets in the late 1940s, which helped alleviate the issue while improving Swedish infrastructure in general. Admittedly, a good chunk of the infrastructure development in the 1940s and 1950s was funded by the long postwar Swedish economic boom, so the Army's role is perhaps overstated. Also, the issues encountered did give army planners and tank crews experience with operating heavier vehicles; this would prove to have significant influences on Swedish armored vehicle development in the coming years.

While the overall design of the Strv m/47 was felt to be excellent, Swedish engineers and military experts did identify some areas for improvement. The first was the gun. The 75mm M3, while well liked for its good high explosive round, had insufficient anti-tank performance to deal with the latest Soviet threats, and was marginal against even the T-34 (especially at range). There had already been thoughts of rearming the Strv m/42; the Strv m/47 with its larger turret was deemed an even better candidate for upgunning. This would soon result in the development of the Strv m/49, the first of the improved Swedish Sherman variants.

The other flaws were deeper in the design. The combination of a rear engine and front drive meant that a driveshaft ran along the bottom of the tank, increasing the height, which made the tank a larger target and heavier (the taller the tank, the greater the weight of armor needed to give equivalent protection). Swedish engineers felt this was a significant flaw, and one that would have to be fixed in any future design. The suspension was felt to be a bit outdated in construction, though adequate. Additionally, the sponsons were felt not to be very useful, though this was not a major issue. These lessons would be incorporated into future Swedish tank designs of the 1950s.

Background: The "Swedish Impressions of the Sherman" articles again. This article on the Sherman Tank Site; http://www.theshermantank.com/sherm...hat-was-wrong-with-the-tank-and-stayed-wrong/ gives a bit of a primer on some of the issues with the M4's design. This Soviet pen chart; http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u9VFDPfmDeA/UDSiC2YRXVI/AAAAAAAABAw/LhaZy328zxs/s1600/pen.jpg shows how much the 75mm M3 had fallen behind other guns in armor penetration. This article from 1941; http://tanks.mod16.org/2014/01/10/minutes-of-meeting-1941-04-30-regarding-development-of-new-afvs/ talks about development of the Strv m/42 and discusses the weight concerns. There was originally a maximum weight of 20 tons for the design, the m/42 went a bit over, but this was still light compared to the M4 or T-34. With that said, the Swedish Army bought Centurions OTL, which are HUGE compared to the m/42, and even the M4, so using a 35 ton tank in Sweden obviously wasn't an impossibility (though I'm not sure of what difficulties the Centurion/Strv 81 encountered with Swedish roads, for all I know a bunch fell into a river a month after delivery after trying to drive over an old bridge).

Am i understanding it correctly that they have cancelled the plans to upgrade the m/42? That could have some interesting effects in the 50's actually.

Am i understanding it correctly that they have cancelled the plans to upgrade the m/42? That could have some interesting effects in the 50's actually.

They're on the back burner for now, the Sherman is considered to be easier to upgrade than the m/42 (larger turret ring and can handle more weight).

Driftless

Donor
Would the Sherman's weight have been an off-road issue in boggy lake country in northern Sweden? To be sure, weight and ground pressure could well be issues for other tank designs as well.

Or, would that come under "lessons learned" to be applied to the next generation?

Minor point but, as I understand it, British Shermans were Lend Lease and all given back to the USA at the end of the war so they had none to sell?