The Iron Eagle: An Adolf Hitler Presidency

Is this TL Good so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adolf Hitler, father of Civil Rights for Catholic Americans and proud enemy of the Klan. Stop making Hitler Likeable! ;)

I like how here, American Hitler is a person, and not just Fuhrer 2.0. Yes he's a racist pos, however his racism is not just vapid madness, but an unfortunate consenquence of his natural environment and has its own distinctions from the rest of the Jim Crow South. I think for a couple of decades until the Civil Rights movement, Hitler will actually be looked on as a progressive who broke some race barriers (in terms of getting white ethnicities and Jews and Catholics to be considered American) and stood for the little man. Of course, him calling Blacks niggers and having an extremely negative view of Mexicans will not be looked kindly upon in modern times, essentially driving African and Mexican Americans into firm blocks of the GOP, but at the very least he won't commit any holocaust and that's about as good as any Hitler TL can get.

You know what I find odd? American Hitler seems MORE realistic then German Hitler.

The concept of OTL Hitler, someone who took an advanced European country and plunged it into a Dark Age of twisted modernity, would be incredibly ASB to someone living in a different TL.

"This Hitler guy did this? Oh man, that is too twisted to come up with."

TTL Hitler would seem more realistic, because he is a flawed individual whose own ideals are mixed with horrendous attitudes that were planted into him.

He's kind of like Woodrow Wilson: a man whose ideals on human peace and liberty were compromised by geopolitical interests and extreme racism.

TTL Hitler might be seen as representative of both the best and the worst of the American spirit.

I do wonder, what exactly are Hitler's views on Asians at this time? Living in Texas he wouldn't have a lot of contact with Asians, so there's no extreme prejudice born out of his upbringing besides natural negative viewpoints towards Orientals, but Hitler wouldn't be too extreme. I can imagine he can kind of like Filipinos because even if they're not white, they are good Catholics so their soul is saved and they're going to go to heaven. He might push for an actual alliance with Japan here if they don't go full Tojo, since Japan could be used by Hitler as an example of "A proper Civilized nation" who rose to the challenge of industrialism and adapted themselves to the same standards as the West. They would most likely rank much higher on his list than the Chinese, who Hitler in his warped history may write scathing papers on for being such a stagnant race. If America does go to war with Japan during Hitler's administration, I wonder if he'll intern the Japanese, or make a call for unity and let Japanese-Americans prove themselves as true patriots.

Well...

Asians were even more hated then African Americans throughout America.

How Hitler treats Japan will depend on how nuts Japan behaves ITTL, but I doubt Hitler will open the door for Asians.

Since Hitler is making such big waves in the Democratic Party, any chance that one of his brothers are going to run for office this electoral year? With Adolf being Texas' golden boy in Washington, I can see one of his elder brothers have the bright idea to ride off his coattails and get a stable job in Austin or Washington, acting as their brother Adolf's lieutenants for when he comes to power. We might even get a Texan Long dynasty that has a monopoly over Texan politics for the next generation, and even in 2019 we might see a Governor or Senator Hitler. Obviously Alois wouldn't be competent for public office, but Gustav, Otto, or Edmund could be up to the task.

Since Hitler maybe a 20th century Andrew Jackson, that is a good possibly. But it would also depend on how tainted his ITTL legacy is. Does his racism get bad enough, that it needs a truth and reconciliation commission?

1924 Democratic National Convention - A Mentor's Calling
"Life is so hard. For every reason you attempt getting up for, there are three reasons pushing you down upon your bed: your eventual casket".

The chilly late winter breeze of Washington D.C. reflected the mood at the Wilson funeral. President Wilson was many things: America's 28th, an intellectual, an enigma. But apart from that, he was Hitler's mentor.

"One cannot study Hitler as a political figure without understanding Wilson's impact on the Texan." - Adolph Hitler: An Impactful Legacy, by David McCullough, American Historian and author.

Wilson's aloof and proud nature drew many away, but not Adolph. The Virginian's vanity was only human, and in his brain with many grey cells was a place for Hitler to learn from. Adolph loved being a student: being a student was how he grew. Wilson loved to teach, and Hitler loved to learn.

Abundant tears has to be pushed back, but memories could not. Memories of lectures in Trenton mimicking that of Nassau, ranging from the history of the Civil War to the philosophers of Ancient Greece. Dinners where conversations of family, race and baseball were as set in stone as the gravy on the Thanksgiving mashed potatoes (oh and how Hitler loved gravy during Thanksgiving at the Wilson household). Historical lectures became past-time conversation; the two were one and the same. Maybe most importantly, Wilson taught Hitler the skills in being an academic writer. Hitler was a scholar like Sumner and Turner, but Wilson had the extra edge (so did Turner, Sumner and Bryan in their own regards: Hitler was very fortunate to have such skilled mentors and he knew it).

Now, Wilson was no more. Like Alois and Sumner, a father figure was buried in the casket, never to return. Hitler could ask no more questions about Jefferson and Madison to the Georgian raised Commander in Chief: no more could be asked.

One thing that Wilson imparted on Hitler before his final days was to be a man of action. "Oh if only I was not in such wretched condition Adolph during the end of days in office, I could have made the world a world of peace and justice. But I was sick and frail, a ghoul during Versailles, and now the world is worse off. I could have done so much! Alas, I failed. Be a man of action Adolph, be a man of action."

Hitler would never say no to a man he viewed as a father, especially when words rung so true in his ears. It was his action that saved in him in San Antonio. He could have been the son an immigrant widow in a small, urban home, but his drive for academic and artistic success sent him to St. Mary's, saving him.

Adolph held back his tears. "A man does not cry; a man does not cry."

The casket was brought towards the Cathedral (Hitler was Catholic, so he didn't enter the Episcopalian cathedral for the service).

Edith Wilson, wife (and now widow) of Woodrow, was never nearly as enchanted by the Texan as was her deceased husband. But, Adolph's solemn, stonewall face convinced her to invite Hitler to a mourning reception later that evening for family and close friends. "Woodrow would have wanted that".

Hitler a few days later wrote a letter to his family and Turner. He met both of them in San Antonio and Madison respectively.

Woodrow would have wanted Hitler at the reception. Woodrow, Woodrow Woodrow, son in law of Woodrow McAdoo, McAdoo, McAdoo, Smith, Smith, Smith,

McAdoo!

Smith!

McAdoo!

Smith!

Hitler snapped out of his daydream. It was time to get things back in order. It would be what Wilson wanted.

I like how here, American Hitler is a person, and not just Fuhrer 2.0.

I really appreciate that.

I definitely feel that Hitler being raised on the other side of the Atlantic in the New World would have made him turn out very differently. So the idea that American Hitler and German/Austrian Hitler don't have the same personality is something I strove for.

You know what I find odd? American Hitler seems MORE realistic then German Hitler.

The concept of OTL Hitler, someone who took an advanced European country and plunged it into a Dark Age of twisted modernity, would be incredibly ASB to someone living in a different TL.

"This Hitler guy did this? Oh man, that is too twisted to come up with."

TTL Hitler would seem more realistic, because he is a flawed individual whose own ideals are mixed with horrendous attitudes that were planted into him.

He's kind of like Woodrow Wilson: a man whose ideals on human peace and liberty were compromised by geopolitical interests and extreme racism.

TTL Hitler might be seen as representative of both the best and the worst of the American spirit.

OTL Hitler's rise was not likely, especially with Hindenburg and Franz von Papen kind of going "let's play with fire".

Since Hitler is making such big waves in the Democratic Party, any chance that one of his brothers are going to run for office this electoral year? With Adolf being Texas' golden boy in Washington, I can see one of his elder brothers have the bright idea to ride off his coattails and get a stable job in Austin or Washington, acting as their brother Adolf's lieutenants for when he comes to power. We might even get a Texan Long dynasty that has a monopoly over Texan politics for the next generation, and even in 2019 we might see a Governor or Senator Hitler. Obviously Alois wouldn't be competent for public office, but Gustav, Otto, or Edmund could be up to the task.

Predicting a dynasty aren't we ;).

Problem not that surprising of a spoiler but American Hitler is an admirer of Andrew Jackson. Interestingly, he also admires Henry Clay.

So he seems like the kind of person who would overlook Old Hickory's minor...ethnic cleansing of people in defiance of the Supreme Court.

OTL Hitler's rise was not likely, especially with Hindenburg and Franz von Papen kind of going "let's play with fire".

Papen and Hindenburg were in a pretty shitty position. But again, they badly underestimated this Bohemian corporal.

So he seems like the kind of person who would overlook Old Hickory's minor...ethnic cleansing of people in defiance of the Supreme Court.

Papen and Hindenburg were in a pretty shitty position. But again, they badly underestimated this Bohemian corporal.

Won't say if you are correct or not. All I'll say is that he won't follow anyone fully at all. He has multiple influences, and he himself is one of his major influences.

Papen and Hindenburg underestimated the Bohemian corporal and there are going to be American politicians who underestimate the Texan politician ;). Pride cometh before the fall!

You're welcome! I do think that US!Hitler is going to make immense use of Hollywood's power in the decades to come, and for that to happen, he needs to establish contacts with the moguls who, per Stephen Birmingham's foundational book, made "an empire of their own" in Southern California. I suspect that one Joseph P. Kennedy will be a vital connection, and not just because of his *ahem* intimate connection with one of the great actresses of the era.

Joseph Kennedy will definitely be a vital connection, in more areas than one ;).

And by the way, I never, ever thought I would applaud any version of Hitler in my life, EVER, but that oration of his at the convention hitting back against the Klan (and oh if only it weren't for the slams against blacks!) left me grinning.

I am 100% certain he's going to have grist for his mill once the news about D. C. Stephenson comes out...a Hitler speaking up for white ethnics (and assimilated Jews!) against the KKK is going to go a long way indeed.

Haha thanks :)

Ah so we have predicted a certain update in the future. Very good! ;)

If I may ask, what's the exclamation mark in between US and Hitlerfor?

It's a convention you'll often see elsewhere on AH.com when referring to different versions of people, countries or what have you; often with a brief abbreviation designating the way in which the ATL version differs from the OTL version. Thus, "US!Hitler" because your Hitler is American.

Ok will do.

In simple terms, they don't get along. One clue is that when Mencken makes fun of Bryan, Hitler doesn't take it well.

I assume that the Scopes Trial also happens in TTL. As a conservative Catholic, Hitler would be fully in Bryan's corner on the issue of evolution, so naturally he wouldn't like Mencken's mockery one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.