The Iron Eagle: An Adolf Hitler Presidency

Is this TL Good so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcoat

Banned
Just curious, how do you make those wikiboxes?
It's rather easy, just edit wikipedia itself. For a while before I joined the board I spent a lot of time editing wikipedia articles so I know the coding well enough. Most people just do it on Inkscape though.

An Anticipated Arrival
Dear Adolph,

First of all, congratulations on your most esteemed success! My pupil, now a Congressman!

I am so pleased with your trajectory. First, a syndicated editorial writer, then a Doctor in Philosophy, and now
a representative from his home district! My only gripe is that you have chosen the wrong party, but we all make
make mistakes, now don't we?

I so very much wanted to see you as soon as you returned to Europe, but unfortunately I was swamped with more
assignments than ever. The Historical Societies wanted me to write my analysis on WW1 and its social and cultural
effects on America, in context to the frontier thesis. I have with me the book, and of course with a signature.

Now that all of that is wrapped up, I would love to take the train from Newark to D.C. Would you be able to meet
with your old Professor? Hope those Washington seniors aren't picking on the freshman.

Sincerely,

Professor Turner

Adolph was enthused as ever. "Professor Turner is coming to see me! I must fit this in my schedule somehow!

But, Hitler also planned on meeting his other surviving mentor, now just Dr. Wilson. The former President, now terribly ill,
wanted to see his pupil once more at least before he went (the plan was multiple occasions, but missing just one was already
scary).

His reply was of long length, touching many subjects and memories, so here is a snippet:

Professor Turner, would you be alright having that meeting be a dinner with Dr. Wilson and I?

I think it would be a wonderful get together, filled with mentors and mentee.

February 7, 1920:

Dr. Wilson moved into Embassy Road in Washington D.C. with his wife post his presidency, with a wonderful home to live his last years in. D.C. in February was snowing, and thus the front courtyard was covered in more snow than the soldiers who crossed the Delaware.

With slight hesitation (nostalgia has a decelerating effect), Adolph knocked on the door. A few long seconds later, a mustached Butler opened the door:

"Dr. Hitler, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Come right this way."

Waiting in tense deliberation, Hitler feared for what he would see. "Only eight years ago my mentor was a champion; on top of the world. I hope God has given him mercy even in his ache."

"Adolph."

"Is that -"

"Of course its me!"

"Professor Turner!"

"It's been so long, Adolph, or should I say Congressman."

"No need for such formalities, Professor Turner. You're a father to me."

"Well don't be so mad if I slip in Doctor once or twice."

"Okay (laughing), I won't"

"Come. Let's not keep our former head of state waiting."

Hitler and Turner walked a few steps, before another Butler opened the door to the dining room.

"Hello Hitler!"

"Dr. Wilson!"

"I would have greeted you near the door, however my health forbids me. I constantly depend on my dear wife. These days, she's practically my pale mammy."

Hitler and Wilson chuckled; Turner less sincerely. The Professor from Wisconsin was a good Republican Yankee, and allusions to the slavery days were not received comfortably by him. However, he was with family, and as always, family makes one uncomfortable at times.

Now, sitting at the dinner table, the three men ravished at the feast. Pork chitterlings, mashed potatoes and best of all, Texas-style Steak were all served at the dinner table. The vegetable soup at the beginning was a warm welcome, however the largely carnivorous men could not wait to stick their forks into the slowly-roasted meat.

"Oh delicious!" and "Scrumptious" were commonly used terms at the feast. The trio discussed numerous topics, from art and the sciences to fond memories and politics:

"Now that you're a Congressman, and for the right party"

"Hey"

"Dr. Hitler knows what he's doing. A Republican can't get elected in Texas!"

Adolph blushed at the compliments from his mentors:

"I thank you all for your kinds words. I could have never gotten this far without all of your help."

"Thank you." both mentors said.

"So many people accept help, and then never even reply with a thank you." stated Doctor Turner.

Dr. Wilson agreed, commenting "As a politician who was involved in the patronage business, I can definitely concur".

Hitler began to tear a little:

"What wrong?" asked Dr. Wilson.

"I miss Professor Sumner."

Silence was in the air. It was getting close to the tenth anniversary of his mentor from New Jersey past away.

"I do to." stated Professor Turner.

The silence continued.

"Let's pray" Hitler sobbed out.

A little prayer was conducted in Professor Sumner's name. After that, Hitler wiped his eyes and the mood transitioned back to the peaceful bliss. Adolph continued to meet Dr. Wilson for the weekends, which not only let them rekindle old memories and "the good ole days", but also helped with Hitler's portfolio in the Democratic party.

"There is no legitimate proof that Hitler maintained his relationship with President Wilson out of any strategic gain. Wilson was a father figure to Hitler, and Hitler, who missed his biological father Alois so much, needed that father figure in his life" - Adolph Hitler: An Impactful Legacy, by David McCullough, American Historian and author.

Hitler also continued to meet with Turner whenever the Princeton Professor and the Congressman could make time. The memories Hitler had with both Wilson and Turner throughout the next few years (and with Turner for the next seven years after Wilson's expected yet tragic death) continued to give Adolph the strength to continue his life journey till his own eyes laid in permanent rest.

"Hitler's life was as much about relationships as it was ideological. For an intellectual who carved out a path of ideas and values, his political rise was mostly based upon his mentors and friendships. One cannot understand Hitler's rise without understanding the nebula of people around him."- The Great Men of American History, by Eric Foner, American Historian and author.

2201-2209_Massachusetts_Avenue%2C_NW.JPG

(Embassy Road, Washington D.C.; the home of President Wilson post his presidency. Hitler had many fond memories there from 1920 to Wilson's death in 1923.)

He seems less insane, more rational, less of an egotist...

He also seems to be more...well, human. More immature and vulnerable as a person and a character. Still slightly racist and flawed, however, but that's just a result of his surroundings. At least it's not as bad as what he ended up in IOTL. It's as if living in America has turned him into a much more mentally stable and kind person overall.

He seems less insane, more rational, less of an egotist...
Definitely. And since he hasn't had a lot of the experiences that shaped him in our tl, this makes sense. Very well written.
He also seems to be more...well, human. More immature and vulnerable as a person and a character. Still slightly racist and flawed, however, but that's just a result of his surroundings. At least it's not as bad as what he ended up in IOTL. It's as if living in America has turned him into a much more mentally stable and kind person overall.

Very interesting analysis. Yes, I do believe that due to his improved environment and opportunities as an American during this time, he has a kinder and more sane mentality. I think that making it the same would have been unrealistic, which is nice for I also didn't want to write about a complete sociopath for a long period of time.

Edward IX

Banned
Yeah exactly, he seems rational and sentimental. I assume that Rhino will put him back on the course to be well, Hitler.

As I was reading that, I was thinking "this Hitler is not really different than most American men of his station and time.

I don't like thinking "I understand Hitler" but, it's good writing to get to that point, and not write a stereotypical Hitler.

I would like to see a little of Hitler's personal life written. I mean Geli is here I suppose in some form, and about to become a flapper. Eva is in Germany getting ready to go to work for Hoffman. Does he get just a Texas girl or something strategic? I am in no way seriously suggesting this can you imagine him married to Alice Roosevelt!? Better yet have Franklin marry Alice not Edith. I love her, but that woman was insane!

Yeah exactly, he seems rational and sentimental. I assume that Rhino will put him back on the course to be well, Hitler.

As I was reading that, I was thinking "this Hitler is not really different than most American men of his station and time.

I don't like thinking "I understand Hitler" but, it's good writing to get to that point, and not write a stereotypical Hitler.

I would like to see a little of Hitler's personal life written. I mean Geli is here I suppose in some form, and about to become a flapper. Eva is in Germany getting ready to go to work for Hoffman. Does he get just a Texas girl or something strategic? I am in no way seriously suggesting this can you imagine him married to Alice Roosevelt!? Better yet have Franklin marry Alice not Edith. I love her, but that woman was insane!

Thank you.

Do you want me to PM you who I will have Hitler marry?

If I may, Mr. Rhino, I would like to suggest a politician to later be a part of Hitler's cabinet?

Representative Jacob Thorkelson of Montana was a controversial anti-semite and was accused of supporting fascism. He might be a good loudmouth distraction, perhaps running louder propaganda ?

If I may, Mr. Rhino, I would like to suggest a politician to later be a part of Hitler's cabinet?

Representative Jacob Thorkelson of Montana was a controversial anti-semite and was accused of supporting fascism. He might be a good loudmouth distraction, perhaps running louder propaganda ?

I'll consider him. I've heard of him, but only in the context of Jeanette Rankin (same district).

I don't think he'll be higher ranking than Huey Long, but certainly he will be part of the Hitlereque operation. And you are correct to assume that Hitler will have Republicans both as cabinet members and as allies in Congress ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.