The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

de8ungm-41006f5b-4e44-465c-87f2-06ccee4d1598.png

Teen Titans

@Pyro Have you had a look at this?
Indeed I have, but it's been years since I last read it.

In other news, should I try to address this little unreleased gem?

Chapter 56 - Welcome to the Next Level
1996’s E3 would be an event to to remember. With the fifth generation of video games beginning in earnest the previous fall, the rivalry between Nintendo and Sega (with their new partner, Sony) would only heat up when the former entered the ring. While it was true that Sega and Sony had a commanding head start bolstered by high quality games like Knuckles: Relic Hunter and Virtua Fighter, it was Nintendo’s new console that many in the gaming press were most interested in.

The Big N had unveiled the Nintendo 64 in Japan months prior with half-finished demos of Super Mario 64 and Kirby Ball, but E3 was going to be the console’s big coming out party. Ken Lobb and Issac (whose last name was never reveal) demonstrated the Nintendo 64’s analog stick to show how its characters moved in three dimension to an enthusiastic crowd. However, that paled in comparison to the presentation of Super Mario 64, which received rapturous applause from the audience. The revelation that the game would include co-operative play with Mario and Luigi [1] only pushed the presentation over the edge.

However, Sega struck back the next day with the formal presentation of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: The Rings of Order. While the game did put in an appearance at the previous year’s convention, Sega treated it more like a tech demo. With Sonic Team busy working on Nights in Dreams, development duties fell to Sega Technical Institute with Hirokazu Yasuhara as director and lead designer on the project. Ian Ziering, who voiced Sonic from the animated series, acted as master of ceremonies while Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske showed footage of the Blue Blur racing through a coastal rainforest named Jade Gully.

Unlike Super Mario 64, Sonic 4 combined 2D and 3D platforming by breaking the levels into segments. The two-dimensional segments played very similarly to the Genesis games with the trademark loop-de-loops and corkscrews while the 3D segments employed new gameplay elements like the Homing Dash and Power Slide. The synposis Sega provided was a fairly simple one: after his ignominious defeat in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 [2] Eggman searches for a new power source to conquer the world. He comes across the writings of Professor Burrows, who uncovered the existence of the Rings of Order—seven mystical objects whose power rivals that of the Chaos Emeralds. He abducts Professor Burrows to seize them for himself and the race is on for Sonic to gather the Rings of Order before Eggman can enact his master plan.

Probably one of the more notable revelations was the debut of Duchess Tiara Burrows, the professor’s daughter and the face that launched a million ships [3]. However, that would pale in comparison to the titles release date: September 22, 1996. A week before the Nintendo 64’s (and Super Mario 64’s) North American release.

Then Tom Kalinske fired another shot over Nintendo’s bow: Sega would be dropping the Saturn’s price to $199 later that month.

Meanwhile, Sony was working behind the scenes to woo Squaresoft and Enix, who was disgruntled with Nintendo’s insistence on using the cartridge format. If Sony Computer Entertainment could convince them to jump ship it could very well tilted the Console Wars in their favour given the popularity of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in Japan. Capcom had already thrown in their hat with the Sega/Sony alliance with Resident Evil now a Saturn exclusive. Even Konami’s Hideo Kojima was musing that his new installment in the Metal Gear series would be too “large in scope” for the limitations of cartridge format.

Despite these rumblings, Nintendo was still confident that they could prevail over the upstart Sega and Sony. However, it would be in September when the clash between Nintendo’s plumber and Sega’s hedgehog would determine the future of the fifth generation.

[1] A feature that came with its own challenges during development.

[2] & Knuckles!

[3] Begun the shipping wars has with Sonic+Tiara shippers sparring with Sonic+Amy and Sonic+Ricki shippers on the early message board battlefields.

Last edited:
I got my first PC in 1996 it was a 486 running Windows 3 as I recall. Still had Office 5.5 and ran some games. I was happy with it.

While these consoles sound fun ITTL me would just shrug and carry on with his PC.

I got my first PC in 1996 it was a 486 running Windows 3 as I recall. Still had Office 5.5 and ran some games. I was happy with it.

While these consoles sound fun ITTL me would just shrug and carry on with his PC.
My first Computer was a Apple Two Plus with a Tape Drive .

[3] Begun the shipping wars has with Sonic+Tiara shippers sparring with Sonic+Amy and Sonic+Ricki shippers on the early message board battlefields.
Even in TTL the Sonic fandom still has its... issues, I see. :D

I am curious if Sega was onboard with the price drop or one of the companies convinced the other in return for some larger profit share or whatever. They are chugging pretty smoothly in TTL together, so I figure for now the trust is still genuinely high to make such a move.

Also I simply must ask: are the Order Rings separate colors like the Chaos Emeralds as obvious parallels?

This feels appropriate.
I was picturing someone a little more angry. :p
A cancelled Green Lantern game to go with the nearly completed Lobo SNES game? Man we missed out.
I'll expand on it later, but the course "Emerald Twilight" took TTL meant that all Ocean had to do was reskin the game by replacing Hal with Kyle. There will like be some other changes as well. Stay tuned!
Even in TTL the Sonic fandom still has its... issues, I see. :D
Hoo, yeah, but I figure every fandom as its issues. I mean, I admit that I got pretty deranged about the whole MCU/DCEU "rivalry" (if one could call it that) a couple years ago but hopefully mellowed out during that time.
I am curious if Sega was onboard with the price drop or one of the companies convinced the other in return for some larger profit share or whatever. They are chugging pretty smoothly in TTL together, so I figure for now the trust is still genuinely high to make such a move.
I figure Kalinske and Sony convince Sega of Japan to go along with it for that reason and that Sony and Sega are splitting production costs.
Also I simply must ask: are the Order Rings separate colors like the Chaos Emeralds as obvious parallels?
Yes, and I would say that the Order Rings are the Sonic-equivalent of DC Comics's Anti-Life Equation where their primary purpose is to impose order by suppressing free will whereas the Chaos Emeralds exist to protect it.

Maybe we could get this instead:

I'd love if if ToTS became the big Elseworld's event of the 90s and elements of KC were added to the main universe instead. Shake up the Status quo for the new millennium.

What kind of elements?

Well, to make a list of things, considering that a lot of elements from that book ended up happening anyway, I've been thinking about how great it'd be if other elements became canon instead like:

• New Oa becoming a base for the League
  • Magog showing up in Metropolis and a youthful foil and potential student to Superman
  • Dr. Mid-Nite and Phantom Lady coming back as ghosts.
  • Red Tornado escaping his android shell and becoming a full wind elemental
  • The Inclusion of characters so as 666, Von Bach, Nowhere Man, Mr. Scarlet, King Crimson, Tusk, Kabuki Kommando, Stars and Stripes, Pheobus, Manotaur, Trix, Living Doll, Cathedral and Nuculoid into the main canon.
  • Potentially setting up Nightstar and The Whiz along with other legacy heroes
  • Hawkman mutating into a literal HAWKman and being more eco based.
  • Garth becoming the new Aquaman with Tula as the new Aquagirl.
  • And finally, Pepperguard. The robotic defenders of Britain made to the like the Beatles that Alex Ross added in the background. Because. :p

Last edited: