The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

Well, it's seem a better version of the first arc of the ultimate x-men and with an hard edged Magneto but not a psycothic crazy one...plus i liked the mistery of Mistique operation, initially i thought it was a plot by Magneto to appear the attacked party and start a racial war but it seem that he was played as everyone.

My bet is that Mystique is not a mutant but a Skrull and this it's part of their plan to soften earth defense

I have a hard time buying Edge as Sabretooth in 1995. He would have only been 22, and absolutely looked it with his baby face.
Am I the only one to notice that Sabretooth should be Victor and not Graydon?
Oops! I'm going to fix that and retconned that bit of casting too. I saw that Kevin Nash played Super Shredder in TMNT 2 so I think he could play the role of Sabretooth just as well.

Last edited:
Oops! I'm going to fix that and retconned that bit of casting too. I saw that Kevin Nash played Super Shredder in TMNT 2 so I think he could play the role of Sabretooth just as well.
I definitely think it should be Kevin Nash, he about 6'10" while Tom Cruise is only 5'7".

In 1995 Nash would have been WWF champ at a time Vince expected his champs put in a lot of time. Anything passed a cameo would likely not fit in his schedule.

Decent X-Men movie in 1995? Nice.

Cast looks good. Not sure about Nash, I think you need a Canadian playing Sabretooth.

Is that furry Beast or Human?

How did they do the costumes? Most OTL Super movies of the period used Form fitting cloth/spandex as opposed to the more realistic leather/panelled look of the MCU- whats X-Men’s take, and how well/daft does it look?

I mean if the money was right Big Kev would totally drop the belt to do a movie. So it's not impossible, just a wrinkle to keep in mind.
It would depend on the year shooting was done. If it was in 94, Nash might not have the world title at all. In 95 however, I could see Nash dropping the belt to Shawn, Bam-Bam, Bret, or (god forbid) King of the Ring Mabel.

Well, it's seem a better version of the first arc of the ultimate x-men and with an hard edged Magneto but not a psycothic crazy one...plus i liked the mistery of Mistique operation, initially i thought it was a plot by Magneto to appear the attacked party and start a racial war but it seem that he was played as everyone.

My bet is that Mystique is not a mutant but a Skrull and this it's part of their plan to soften earth defense
Thanks. As for Mystique, I'm playing her as closer to her comic book counterpart by letting her have her out agenda rather than being one of Magneto's henchmen.
Cast looks good. Not sure about Nash, I think you need a Canadian playing Sabretooth.
I'm going more by appearance than nationality. Nash certainly has the stature, especially compared to Cruise, as one poster already pointed out. Plus, Nash hails from Detroit so I put that as "close enough" when it comes to physical proximity to Canada. :p
Is that furry Beast or Human?
Furry, so Molina and the make-up crew had a field day.
How did they do the costumes? Most OTL Super movies of the period used Form fitting cloth/spandex as opposed to the more realistic leather/panelled look of the MCU- whats X-Men’s take, and how well/daft does it look?
The former, with some minor alterations, as Marvel wanted them to resemble the comics/animated series as closely as possible. The exceptions are Wolverine who is wearing a version of his brown costume and Jubilee whose final costume resembles her OTL Generation X uniform with the iconic yellow coat.
It would depend on the year shooting was done. If it was in 94, Nash might not have the world title at all. In 95 however, I could see Nash dropping the belt to Shawn, Bam-Bam, Bret, or (god forbid) King of the Ring Mabel.
Principal photography on X-Men ended September/October 1994.

Thanks. As for Mystique, I'm playing her as closer to her comic book counterpart by letting her have her out agenda rather than being one of Magneto's henchmen.

Good to hear: her comics version has always been more interesting than any movie version for that reason

Principal photography on X-Men ended September/October 1994.
Thank you. With that scenario, it means that Nash comes back to take the title off of Bret at Survivor Series. As for Bret, he loses thanks to Owen just not letting it go leading to one more match between the two at Wrestlemania 11 while Shawn and Nash main event. The Lawrence Taylor/Bam Bam match gets relegated to the opening card as a "special main event."

Chapter 45 - A Tale of Two Creators
Rob Liefeld’s career had stalled by 1995. His very feud with Jim Shooter and subsequent departure from Marvel had made him persona non grata as far as the company was concerned. Stints on DC titles had become fewer and farther between due to his chronic lateness and his inability to get his own independent publisher, Maximum Press, only frustrated him further. Salvation would come in the form of Dave Olbrich and Tom Mason who started Spotlight Comics following their dismissal from Malibu. The pair had received funding from a variety of sources including John Hyde and former Malibu president Scott Mitchell Rosenberg for their new venture.

What the new company needed was a flagship title and turned to an obscure 50s Simon and Kirby character for the role: The Fighting American. Once they secured the permission from Joe Simon and Kirby’s estate, they offered the title to Liefeld and heavily promoted the title as his “second coming.” The character’s fifties origins stayed relatively intact, however, it would be revealed that the government “deactivated” F.A. after a failed mission in 1962 that resulted in the death of his partner/sidekick, Speedboy [1].

F.A. is reactivated with his old enemies, Iron Cross and Red Menace, resurface to menace the post-Cold War United States and he is given a new partner, the cyborg S.P.I.C.E. [2]. While successful at the outset, the revived Fighting American received criticism for being highly derivative as the character was a copy of Marvel’s Captain America and highly exploitive. Of particular note were the myriad scenes where explosions or other mishaps shredded S.P.I.C.E.’s uniform for cheesecake appeal. Liefeld’s tardiness also did not help either, but Spotlight had gathered a stable of artists including Ian Churchill, Mike McKone, and newcomer Ed McGuiness for fill-in duty.

Meanwhile, Jim Lee was Marvel’s golden boy following his highly successful runs on X-Men and Fantastic Four with many asking where he would go from there. His first major work upon his departure would be the X-Men spinoff, Gen-X, with writer Brandon Choi. Gen-X revolves around a group of young mutants led by Catlin Fairchild who escape from the Hellfire Club to Los Angeles where they would be mentored by Archangel and Psylocke of the X-Men. The membership included the gravity-manipulating Freefall, the hyperactive speedster Whiz-Kid, the surfer rat Grunge, and water elemental Typhoon [3]. Early drafts placed Jubilee, which X-Editor Bob Harras vetoed given the character’s prominence in the film.

Gen-X is very a product of its time and inspired by the MTV generation, particularly shows like The Real World, which would rapidly date the team. Lee himself stayed on for the first four issues before handing the artistic reins to J. Scott Capmbell, whose career-defining run helped the team stay at the top of sales charts throughout 1996 and ‘97. Lee himself would follow his fellow artists to Epic where he launch the most talked-about title of 1996: WildC.A.T.s

[1] Implied to have happened during the Cuba Missile Crisis.

[2] Super Prototype Intelligent Cyborg Entity. Previously an eighteen year old girl before her transformation.

[3] Whiz-Kid and Typhoon replace Burnout and Rainmaker, respectively.

I mean if the money was right Big Kev would totally drop the belt to do a movie. So it's not impossible, just a wrinkle to keep in mind.

A better choice for champ is Bret Hart--who is still one of the better wrestlers in WWF history (along with Shawn Michaels, but Michaels was a massive jerk)...