The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

I might have to walk back my idea of making DS9 the flagship show for UPN. The idea of Straczynski working on it intrigues me though I would worry that I would be aping what @Timelordtoe has been doing on "The Golden Age of Science Fiction." (one of my favorite TLs, by the way.)
Will Babylon 5 become another offer to the Butterfly Gods?

Does the Marvel/Harvey deal succeed ITTL? Do we get Richie Rich at Star Comics instead of Royal Roy?
Before the PoD so I'm afraid not. :neutral:
Did you mean to say "the only publisher" here instead?
Yep.
Will Babylon 5 become another offer to the Butterfly Gods?
Unfortunately so.
Which version of Warrior will he be? I'm hoping for the Vuldarian version.
Yep, that version.

Chapter 23 - Swinging Into Theaters Summer 1994
The 1993 holiday season would see the first trailer for James Cameron's Spider-Man--distributed by TriStar Pictures--drop in theaters, exciting both fans and general audiences alike. Fred Savage of Wonder Years fame beat out contenders such as Leonardo DiCaprio and Joey Lawrence for role because of Cameron wanting an actor could look like an introverted and socially-isolated nerd. Arnold Schwarzenegger would lend his star power to play Dr. Otto Octavius with Bill Paxton playing an undisclosed role (rumored to be Norman Osborn, despite the character having been dead for many years in the comic [1]) while Michael Biehn and Jamie Lee Curtis would play Ben and May Parker, which raised many eyebrows among the fanbase. Rounding out the cast was Brittany Murphy as Peter's long-time love interest, Mary Jane Watson, who would stand in for Peter's high school crush, Liz Allan.

Cameron would work with longtime collaborator, Stan Winston, using cutting edge special effects to bring the Wall Crawler's web slinging and Doc Ock's metallic arms to life in stunning (and explosive) fight scenes that excite audiences. Anticipation will only grow through the opening months of 1994 with Spider-Man expected to break box office records upon its July 15 release and perhaps dethrone DC's Dark Knight as the super hero champion of cinema.

It wouldn't be the only superhero news as Warner Bros. announced the the casting of their new Superman on January 10, 1994 after months of speculation. Rumors had circulated that Christopher Reeve was in talks to reprise the role, but the Spielberg and studio opted to recast the role. Brendan Fraser of Encino Man fame (or infamy, depending on how you look at it) would be the latest actor to play the Man of Steel, which the fans met with bewilderment and even mockery despite Spielberg's assurances. However, audiences would have to wait until the first Superman '95 trailer later in the year to learn whether or not Fraser would soar.

Lastly, The Mask (based on a little-known character from Dark Horse Comics) would see release two weeks after Spider-Man. Can Jim Carrey's rising star challenge the world's most famous superhero? Only time will tell...

[1] Spoiler: He's not.

Woohoo!!!

I love this update.

Please tell me you're thinking about butterflying Christopher Reeve's accident?

Love the idea of Brendan Fraser as his successor, but Reeve will always be my favorite Superman.

Arnold Schwarzenegger as Doc Ock? Wow that's casting that would never have accrued to me! Can Arnie play a slightly frumpy and overweight scientist? Presumably he goes through a physical transformation after the accident where he gets the arms?

Presumably they do the suits like the MCU does rather than trying to do spandex body gloves?
Who did Paxton play? J.Jameson? Maybe his astronaut son? Dr Conners?
Jamie Lee Curtis would be younger May than folk where used to.

Did Cameron attempt to tie Spider-Man into any movie/series that had gone before, or was he trying to set up stuff for later- Baxter Building, Avengers Mansion etc?
Also - not very diverse movie there- 1993 I know, but it might get mentioned...

Please tell me you're thinking about butterflying Christopher Reeve's accident?
I will be as his accident is highly prone to butterflies. He will be attending the premiere of Stephen Spielberg's Superman in June 1995.
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Doc Ock? Wow that's casting that would never have accrued to me! Can Arnie play a slightly frumpy and overweight scientist? Presumably he goes through a physical transformation after the accident where he gets the arms?
Well, they can dress him in a fat suit pre-transformation for sure.
Who did Paxton play? J.Jameson? Maybe his astronaut son? Dr Conners?
That would be telling. ;)
Jamie Lee Curtis would be younger May than folk where used to.
Threw a major curve ball there, eh? :p I wanted to make as much use of the OTL True Lies cast as possible and even considered casting Tom Arnold as Uncle Ben for a spell.
Did Cameron attempt to tie Spider-Man into any movie/series that had gone before, or was he trying to set up stuff for later- Baxter Building, Avengers Mansion etc?
Doctor Octavius' work involves replicating the "vita-ray" process that compliments the super-soldier serum that created Captain America. There will be some references to Reed Richards and Tony Stark as well, perhaps from of Octavius' equipment may be from Stark Industries.
Also - not very diverse movie there- 1993 I know, but it might get mentioned...
I didn't post a full cast list, but Joe Morton play Joe Robertson and since Harry Osborn is dead in the comics, his son Randy (played by maybe Kenan Thompson?) can take Harry's place as Peter's best friend.

Last edited:
Threw a major curve ball there, eh? :p I wanted to make as much use of the OTL True Lies cast as possible and even considered casting Tom Arnold as Uncle Ben for a spell
Why do I visualize the final with someone trying to escape in a Harrier Jump Jet?
The reverse of True Lies with Spiderman jumping on the outside of Harrier instead of the villain as seen in True Lies?

This was the only way I could get blonde hair for Michael Biehn:
ddz39ky-2e30e394-c67a-493d-8a2a-6c6476788837.jpg

Chapter 24 - On An Outer Space Adventure...
MV5BNWZlNTliNjUtNTk5Ni00MGNhLWJkZTctYWVmYjE5OTA0NDRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTEwNDY2MjU@._V1_.jpg

Producer Bernd Eichinger had purchased the film rights to Marvel first family for a reported $250,000 in 1986, but could not convince any of the major studios to back his vision. Those rights would expire if he did not start production by the end of 1992, and the Marvel/Lightstorm announcement only served to light a fire under his feet. Fearing that he would lose the rights to James Cameron, he set out on producing a Fantastic Four film on a budget of one million dollars with B-movie maestro, Roger Corman.

Stan Lee would later call the production a sham that was not meant to be seen by any living human beings. Marvel President, Jim Shooter would likewise call it “terrible,” but that did not deter Roger Corman from campaigning to release the movie as there was no clause in the contract that stated that he could not. He prepared a trailer, TV spots, and even a premiere at the Mall of America, but ultimately did not see wide release outside New York City, Los Angeles, and a few select markets.

What it did give Eichinger, however, was leverage. With hype building for James Cameron’s Spider-Man throughout the early half of 1994, Marvel and many of the major studios (notably Columbia/TriStar, 20th Century Fox, and Paramount) were very interested in a big budget Fantastic Four film with a tentative 1997 release. Cameron himself was quite interested in bringing the Fantastic Four to the silver screen--even going as far as to include them in the early drafts of his “Universal Bible” without even holding the rights.

1994 would be a year of tough negotiations, but Constantin Film would agree to co-produce with Lightstorm Entertainment while Paramount, whose television network aired the animated series, would fund and distribute the film. While Cameron would executive produce the film, he would not direct and the studio instead signed on Ridley Scott after some gentle prodding from Cameron and even other luminaries like Superman’s Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas [1].

As for Corman’s film, it would receive a quiet VHS release where it would join 1989’s Punisher and 1990’s Captain America on video rental retailers’ shelves. Fans would view it as something of an oddity and a cult classic/guilty pleasure that would become a comic book version of the Rocky Picture Horror Show.

[1] Lucas himself would later admit that he was tempted to take the job himself, but was more interested in returning to a certain galaxy far, far away.

Last edited:
As for Corman’s film, it would receive a quiet VHS release where it would join 1989’s Punisher and 1990’s Captain America on video rental retailers’ shelves. Fans would view it as something of an oddity and a cult classic/guilty pleasure that would become a comic book version of the Rocky Picture Horror Show.
I can honestly see that, a film so bad that it's good.

BONUS - Tentative Comic Book/Superhero Film Slate (1994-1997)
1994 - Spider-Man (Marvel/Tri-Star)
1994 - The Mask (Dark Horse/New Line Entertainment)
1994 - The Crow (Caliber/Miramax) [1]
1994 - The Shadow (Universal)
1994 - Blankman (Columbia)
1995 - Superman (DC/Warner Bros.)
1995 - X-Men (Marvel/Tri-Star)
1995 - Tank Girl (Dark Horse/United Artists)
1996 - Iron Man (Marvel/Tri-Star)
1996 - Batman: The Dynamic Duo (DC/Warner Bros.)
1996 - The Phantom (King Features/Paramount)
1996 - The Crow: City of Angels (Caliber/Miramax)
1997 - Wonder Woman (DC/Warner Bros.)
1997 - Spider-Man sequel (Marvel/Tri-Star)
1997 - Fantastic Four (Marvel/Paramount)

[1] The Butterfly God spares Brandon Lee, who will go on to star in the sequel.

Last edited:
1994 - Spider-Man (Marvel/Tri-Star)
1994 - The Mask (Dark Horse/New Line Entertainment)
1994 - The Crow (Caliber/Miramax) [1]
1994 - The Shadow (Universal)
1994 - Blankman (Columbia)
1995 - Superman (DC/Warner Bros.)
1995 - X-Men (Marvel/Tri-Star)
1995 - Tank Girl (Dark Horse/United Artists)
1996 - Iron Man (Marvel/Tri-Star)
1996 - Batman: The Dynamic Duo (DC/Warner Bros.)
1996 - The Phantom (King Features/Paramount)
1996 - The Crow: City of Angels (Caliber/Miramax)
1997 - Wonder Woman (DC/Warner Bros.)
1997 - Spider-Man sequel (Marvel/Tri-Star)
1997 - Fantastic Four (Marvel/Paramount)

[1] The Butterfly God spares Brandon Lee, who will go on to star in the sequel.

A surviving Brandon Lee is one of those rarely talked about MASSIVE butterflies.

Also curious to see what a bigger comic book movie boom might been for The Crow at the box office.