The Indianapolis Choke: An IndyCar WI

Introduction
This What-If project is concerning the 2011 Indianapolis 500. IRL, JR Hildebrand was leading the race on the final lap and looking to produce one of if not the biggest upset in Indy 500 history. However, a lapped car got in the way on the inside of turn 4, and Hildebrand got possibly too aggressive to pass on the outside. What ensued was one of the most memorable Indy 500 finishes of all time. This what if covers if Hildebrand had been less aggressive and came across the line first to pull a massive upset and win the biggest IndyCar race. This is... The Indianapolis Choke.

I was sitting at the top of the main straight that day and saw the entire episode. Dan Whelden did not pass JR until well down the main stretch. If Dan had benn running a couple or seconds slower JR would have won while scrapping along the wall. Not only the biggest upset but the first to win while crashing. Just an unbelievable finish to a wild race. BTW Charlie Kimble was the lapped car in the way.

If Whelden had not won that day there is a good chance he would not have been offered or taken the 5 million dollar challenge at Vegas that led to his death. Remember that even though Whelden was s former winner he had no ride that year and was running a one-off deal

Part 1: Rest of 2011, The Death That Never Was, and 2011 Offseason
J.R. Hildebrand: Rides a wave of momentum to a 10th at the 2nd Texas race, a 2nd behind Marco Andretti at Iowa, and a 5th the race after Iowa at Toronto before flattening out to mostly the same results for the rest of the 2011 season. The momentum puts him 10th in final 2011 points instead of 14th like he was IRL.

Las Vegas 2011: As Dan Wheldon didn't win the Indy 500, he isn't as good of a backup option when the $5 million reward for a driver from another series falls through. The #77 doesn't run at Las Vegas, meaning that no one dies in the big one early on. The race is initially considered to be resumed after a lengthy red flag, but some IndyCar drivers make the point of someone possibly dying if they continue to race and IndyCar decides to cancel the race and revert back to Kentucky for the points like OTL, giving Dario Franchitti the championship (also like OTL).

2011 Offseason: Dan Wheldon lives, but he won't replace Danica Patrick in 2012. Instead, J.R. Hildebrand will drive the renumbered #27 in 2012 for Andretti Autosport. James Hinchcliffe, after Newman-Haas Racing leaves for 2012, replaces Hildebrand in the Panther Racing #4.

Last edited:
I like JR and his getting the GoDaddy ride based on his Indy win is a nice touch. Before going further I must dispute your other dispositions for 2012. No way Lionheart returns to Panther after being dumped for JR. I think without the Indy win Lionheart is done as a full time driver and stays in the corps of Indy one-offs. He had already been dumped by the Chipper to bring in Dario. There is a reason he was a one-offer in 2011 I think Dan was a great Indy driver and he was very personable from my interactions with him. But he didn't have money to bring. I think Hinch gets the Panther ride. He fits their model. Unfortunately Jakesie still gets the Coyne ride because he brought the Acorn sponsorship. Coyne always follows the money.

Part 2. Pulling off the Indy win in 2011 will not propel JR to long term stardom. Actually his skills are much like Danica. GreAt at Indy. Good on ovals. Meh on road circuits. He sticks with Andretti for 2 or 3 years, gets 1 or 2 oval wins, and ends up like he is now as part of the Indy one-off crew like Servia is and T Bell and Tags have been.

If Dan Wheldon’s death is avoided do we see Vegas stay on the schedule one more year? Less cars on track and a new chassis could probably make the track safe for racing.

If Dan Wheldon’s death is avoided do we see Vegas stay on the schedule one more year? Less cars on track and a new chassis could probably make the track safe for racing.

I would say no since the crash was still major and the race still ended up getting called short ATL as well.

Then I presume Randy Bernard is still on his way out? If not do we see Continental replace Firestone as the official tire supplier?