pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
Kyrie Eleison means "Lord have mercy" (It's something we chant during mass at my local Church). Kaloyan was pretty monstrous for his times. Only in this tl his ferocity is more measured and calculated which for the Latins makes him their worst enemy.
yes, i know, after all i asked my cousin to name his nephew Kaloyan 2 years ago. He's already up to the name. i've brought him some made in Italy toys an he managed to break them all in 2 days.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m fine right now. Other than not being able to eat solid foods, I’m able to go about my normal routine.
Hopefully you'll be back in shape in no time
As for Trebizond, I plan on the state being vastly different from otl being somewhat influenced by Italian city states like Genoa and to a lesser degree Venice.
I remember reading that around this time, the roman mercantile class was at a disadvantage against their italian counterpart, severely harming roman economy. This was a mixture of the Italians employing more advanced practices and enjoying a privileged status against roman merchants, even in their own national markets. A Trebizond that is able to learn a thing or two from Genoa or Venice, would be an empire able to find within itself the strength and resources necessary to build back a powerful state, despite its tiny size (compared to the empire of the previous century). I might even say that this (and a stronger fleet) would be an even higher priority compared to just go around conquering stuff (although that would still be nice). Trebizond is no Constantinople, but given its position, trade would still play a key role in financing Komnenian armies. And maybe repairing the damage done by the Latins to Constantinople.

If Rome could indeed be just left alone for a while, it may be able to shift priorities. But alas, some luxuries can only be gained by putting your capital on an island.
And unfortunately we are a couple of centuries too late to move the capital to Syracuse (honestly however we need a timeline on a Syracusan-Roman empire). Well given its position, Trebizond might be able to enjoy some years of peace (definitely no Normans, Angevins, Bulgarians around, at least at first).

And unfortunately we are a couple of centuries too late to move the capital to Syracuse (honestly however we need a timeline on a Syracusan-Roman empire).
An alternate path for your timeline could end up this way:biggrin:
Well given its position, Trebizond might be able to enjoy some years of peace (definitely no Normans, Angevins, Bulgarians around, at least at first).
The Sultanate of Rome: Hello there, I have the high ground.

And unfortunately we are a couple of centuries too late to move the capital to Syracuse (honestly however we need a timeline on a Syracusan-Roman empire).
Frederick I of Sicily at Palermo: Am I a joke to you?

Hopefully you'll be back in shape in no time
Yeah I hope so too.

If Rome could indeed be just left alone for a while, it may be able to shift priorities.
I honestly don't blame the Romans. They were constantly being invaded from enemies on all sides while dealing with civil wars. The fact that they survived so long is a massive accomplishment.

the roman mercantile class was at a disadvantage against their italian counterpart, severely harming roman economy. This was a mixture of the Italians employing more advanced practices and enjoying a privileged status against roman merchants, even in their own national markets.
This was the basis for the anti-Latin sentiment leading to the massacre of the Latins in 1185.

Trebizond is no Constantinople, but given its position, trade would still play a key role in financing Komnenian armies. And maybe repairing the damage done by the Latins to Constantinople.
I mean while Trebizond is a very good trade city, the Komnenoi may actually move the capital to a more central location like say Sinope. For the purposes of this tl, I call it Trebizond so people know what I mean. But within the actual story, contemporaries would probably call it the lands of the Romans just like with Epirus in otl (the title of Despotate is pretty anachronous for this period).

But alas, some luxuries can only be gained by putting your capital on an island.
Aztecs have entered the chat.

definitely no Normans, Angevins, Bulgarians around, at least at first).
Bulgaria actually had alot more potential considering the internal discord of the Crusaders. If someone like Tsar Boril had taken over instead of Kaloyan in otl, its likely that the Bulgarians would have conquered the de-jure European lands. Of course Kaloyan was skirting the line between Catholicism and Orthodoxy so that would bring a number of theological issues.

we are the Roman empire.png

An alternate path for your timeline could end up this way:biggrin:
Well, I am honestly toying with that idea, since I am also toying with a renewed Tetrarchy (after another age of crisis similar to the Third century), but that would not be the POD of my timeline. I was referring to a timeline where moving the capital was the actual POD ( during the Heraklians or as a consequence of the fall of Constantinople in 711)
At least the Seljuks had the decency of never claiming the imperial title (theirs was mostly a geographical one)
Frederick I of Sicily at Palermo: Am I a joke to you?
Yes!
More seriously I appreciate the guy for being a skilled and incredible ruler, still I refuse to call him (or anyone before and after him) a Roman emperor. So yeah, Palermo as the capital doesn't really count.
This was the basis for the anti-Latin sentiment leading to the massacre of the Latins in 1185.
Ironic, considering how later on you had some Romans claiming to be Latins, in order to enjoy the same privileges.
I mean while Trebizond is a very good trade city, the Komnenoi may actually move the capital to a more central location like say Sinope. For the purposes of this tl, I call it Trebizond so people know what I mean. But within the actual story, contemporaries would probably call it the lands of the Romans just like with Epirus in otl (the title of Despotate is pretty anachronous for this period).
If the Komnenians manage to conquer Nicea quickly, before the homonymous empire becomes a thing, they could even move their capital there and be know as the (ALT) Nicean empire. Or just Pontus would work fine as well. I think It's mostly a matter of how much land they end up with before the situation settles definitely. Is Sinope a more important city than Trebizond right now?
Bulgaria actually had alot more potential considering the internal discord of the Crusaders. If someone like Tsar Boril had taken over instead of Kaloyan in otl, its likely that the Bulgarians would have conquered the de-jure European lands. Of course Kaloyan was skirting the line between Catholicism and Orthodoxy so that would bring a number of theological issues.
Considering how romanized were the Bulgarians at this point in time, and more importantly Orthodox, they might actually have a shot at being remember as true claimant to the imperial throne. Just one that started playing the game way before 1204. Still rooting for the Komnenoi though.

It’s back!
Yup! I'm glad to finally be able to start working on it again.

@Basileus_Komnenos when will the new chapter come?
Really soon. Probably within the next few days or so as I'm using the memorial day break to edit some of the rough parts of the chapter.

I was referring to a timeline where moving the capital was the actual POD ( during the Heraklians or as a consequence of the fall of Constantinople in 711)
I don't really think a fall of Cosntantinople in 711 is really very likely. The Arab Caliphate was already overstretched by then and the Romans were particularly united and well-functioning as an Empire. Mehmed II only was able to take the city when the Empire was a shadow of its former self. In 1453 the Capital was utterly depopulated thanks to the years of neglect by the Latins, the Empire's declining fortunes, and the onslaught of the Black Death. Constantine XI assembled essentially a rag-tag army of largely civilians and mercenaries to defend the city rather than the trained soldiers in the 8th century. And even then Mehmed was only able to take the city thanks to Canons and the Roman accidentally leaving a gate open.

Yes!
More seriously I appreciate the guy for being a skilled and incredible ruler, still I refuse to call him (or anyone before and after him) a Roman emperor. So yeah, Palermo as the capital doesn't really count.
True. Though I think Sicily as a whole probably peaked under him or his son Manfred who was about to march on Rome and then into Italy (he had the title of vicar of Italy and was allied with many prominent Ghibbelines).

Though the developments going on in the Sicilian Kingdom might be of interest to you in ttl.

If the Komnenians manage to conquer Nicea quickly, before the homonymous empire becomes a thing, they could even move their capital there and be know as the (ALT) Nicean empire.
True. Though its likely that the term "Rhomania" would probably be used instead.

Or just Pontus would work fine as well. I think It's mostly a matter of how much land they end up with before the situation settles definitely. Is Sinope a more important city than Trebizond right now?
There's not really an independent Pontic identity really just yet although the dialect existed. That mostly came more into effect as Trebizond in otl existed separately from the rest of the Empire.

Considering how romanized were the Bulgarians at this point in time, and more importantly Orthodox, they might actually have a shot at being remember as true claimant to the imperial throne. Just one that started playing the game way before 1204. Still rooting for the Komnenoi though.
Part of the inspiration for this tl comes from my old CKII playthroughs. Unfortunately you can't really rapidly expand in that game unless you have a special invasion cb.

True. Though its likely that the term "Rhomania" would probably be used instead.
Of course it would. I was more talking about a term that would be used by historians to distinguish it from the other post roman states/pre-1204 empire. Since Trebizond seems unlikely here.
Part of the inspiration for this tl comes from my old CKII playthroughs. Unfortunately you can't really rapidly expand in that game unless you have a special invasion cb.
The fact that after declaring a war you have to stick to the stated CB, is probably the main drawback of CKII. Can't recreate the post 1204 shenanigans, the Komnenian restoration or the Norman invasion of Greece (at worst they are gonna take a bunch of counties and that's it).