Constantine VIII has entered the chat.
Pretty much yes and even he was better than Doukas.
Oh no I don't doubt that, but they were so ridiculously short-sighted its almost comical.
Especially the timing was wrong. Personally however I would blame him more for how he turned the imperial palace into the Doukas' own business. It is only natural for a new dynasty to try to do that, but almost all of them were so bad that they basically crippled the empire ability to do anything and even thwarted anyone capable to do so (poor Romanos IV).
Honestly if I were Valentinian I would have tried to play both Majorian and Aetius against each other by perhaps granting Majorian a posting further away from Aetius, or at least not directly under his command.
Considering Gaul was Aetius' own powerbase, that leaves Italy or Illyricum available to Majorian (or a joke-command like Spain). I am not sure Aetius would be happy with Majorian in Italy and considering how the rivalry between Aetius and Bonifacius unfolded in the past, it's better to just get rid permanently of one of them
Laughter in Kantekuzenoi intensifies
John VI > V, it's just plain and simple maths!

download (2).jpeg

How funny it would be if Bulgaria takes over the Byzantines and becomes the Christian Bulgarian version of the Ottoman Empire lol?
That almost happened under Kaloyan and under Boril. But realistically the most they'd probably get at is taking over a good chunk of the Balkans. They don't really have a navy at this point so they can't go over and cross the Hellespont. At least with the Latins they had Venice supporting them as their ally.

Christian Bulgarian Slavic version
If they do manage to take Constantinople the monarchs would probably move there. This would end up with a china like situation with the elites and King/Emperor becoming Hellenized over time.

That almost happened under Kaloyan and under Boril. But realistically the most they'd probably get at is taking over a good chunk of the Balkans. They don't really have a navy at this point so they can't go over and cross the Hellespont. At least with the Latins they had Venice supporting them as their ally.

If they do manage to take Constantinople the monarchs would probably move there. This would end up with a china like situation with the elites and King/Emperor becoming Hellenized over time.
Indeed, at middle-long term ruling from Constantinople their ruling dynasty and presumably at least part of their political and militar elites, would surely, over time, to intermarry/fused with the Greek/Byzantine one, and so would at certain degree, at least, they'd be Hellenized. But, also, I'd suppose that given that,IIRC, that the Hellenization process could be somewhat equilibrated and/or confined to the new royal/imperial capital's elites. Cause, while it would still be a Balkanic State, that in the new empire so formed, population wise both their Bulgarian and Greek populations would be relatively equilibrated...

Indeed, at middle-long term ruling from Constantinople their ruling dynasty and presumably at least part of their political and militar elites, would surely, over time, to intermarry/fused with the Greek/Byzantine one, and so would at certain degree, at least, they'd be Hellenized. But, also, I'd suppose that given that,IIRC, that the Hellenization process could be somewhat equilibrated and/or confined to the new royal/imperial capital's elites. Cause, while it would still be a Balkanic State, that in the new empire so formed, population wise both their Bulgarian and Greek populations would be relatively equilibrated...
To be fair, Byzantium was a fairly ethnically diverse state. It wasn't really an ethno-nationalistic state in an anachronistic sense of 19th century nationalism. There could have been instead a broader Roman identity within the Empire that the Bulgarians could have been integrated into. For a comparison, I guess it could be somewhat similar to how the slavic Czechs were drawn into the wider German sphere due to their proximity and status as a constituent component of the HRE/Germany.

We saw this integration sort of take hold after the Macedonian conquest. The initial rebellion by the Asens was because of a failure in negotiations between Constantinople and Athens where the Bulgarian elites requested a pronoia (land grant). Instead of being politely rejected, the Angeloi rudely rejected them, personally insulting them.

So is this dead
Nah lol. Just on hiatus for now. I have pages of notes and drafts for multiple directions I want to take this story. I even have a whole set of unfinished maps too. I'm just busy with schoolwork to actively work on it at the moment. I'll probably be able to take a more active role in writing for this tl and my Napoleonic timeline probably after December after I graduate.

Damn I didn't even get a notification for this lol.

Nah it's all good fam. Next time PM me or post on my profile that way I'll be more likely to see it.

Nah lol. Just on hiatus for now. I have pages of notes and drafts for multiple directions I want to take this story. I even have a whole set of unfinished maps too. I'm just busy with schoolwork to actively work on it at the moment. I'll probably be able to take a more active role in writing for this tl and my Napoleonic timeline probably after December after I graduate.
Cool, good luck