The House of England: A Rather Different Monarchy

10) The Wars of the German Deconstruction Part IV
Part 4 - August 1911 to Early 1913

Dimbleby: So by the middle of August, you've got the Channel Fleet surrounding Ireland, the Kaiser having won a vote in the Bundestat in order to support the British, the French having deployed their own fleet, to deter the German fleet and support their fledgling sister Republic, and Portugal being up to their neck in their own civil discontent ...

Warren: So you can imagine how much it must have stung the French to learn that the Provisional Government of the Free State had invited in a Spaniard to sit on their throne.

Dimbleby: Why didn't the French simply withdraw their fleet when they learned of the overtures towards the Duke of Teutan?

Warren: Well, they had already engaged Germany and I rather suspect backing out now would seem like they were retreating ...

Dimbleby: So continuing was more to save face than out of any political desire.

Warren: Of course, when the Duke of Teutan accepts the Irish throne, this brings Spain into the conflict too. And Portugal can't sit out for much longer -

Dimbleby: Opening the Iberian Theatre.

Warren: Yes. Portugal siding with Britain, and Spain siding with Ireland. So overall you end up with the German Empire, Portugal and Britain on one hand -

Dimbleby: - and Spain, the French Republic and Ireland on the other.
- transcript of Dimbleby's Wars of the German Deconstruction, EBC1 (2015), interview with Professor Tony Warren

"Chamberlain and the so-called Boxing Day Coalition (a defacto government of national unity in all but name) had the Channel Fleet positioned at strategic points around Ireland. Whilst the intent was to launch numerous simultaneous landings, Westminster found that the Provisional Government of the Irish Free State were much more prepared than ministers and civil servants had anticipated. Whilst the Battle of the Channel between the French and German fleets was a zero sum game, and the Iberian Theatre had subsequently opened, the actual attempt to land sufficient troops in Ireland to allow the liberationt of Dublin castle was an abject failure. By Christmas Day of 1912, even the Prime Minister had to admit that whilst they appeared to hold all the cards, they had somehow fallen into a stalemate ..."
- "England, From Centre of an Empire to Lone Kingdom (1910 to 1932)", by Deborah Harkness, published 2011​

"Turn the ruddy guns on the malcontents, and then we'll see who holds all of the damned, cards, Austin ..."

"For Christ's Sake, Winston, we're not savages."

- conversation between Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty, and Austen Chamberlain, Prime Minister, during a Cabinet Meeting, January 1913, recounted by RH Edward Gray MP​

"How exactly we ended up with Winston Churchill as Prime Minister, and the bombardment of Dublin by the Royal Navy, is a good question. Somehow Churchill galvanised radical factions in all three main parties and unseated Chamberlain in February. Churchill was against the diplomatic solution that Chamberlain and the Boxing Day Coalition had initially favoured, having been a voice for stronghanded military intervention during the Balfour premiership, and he had viewed the deployment of the Channel Fleet as something of a personal victory. He orchestrated a war of attrition against the leadership, small victories that pleased the palate of the radicals, until these small victories and the radicals he had in his pocket stacked up so that he could command a majority in the Commons ..."
- "Winston Churchill, the Downing Street Years", by James Swallow, published 2020​

a) The House of St James c. Early 1913
The House of St James
c. Early 1913

Edward VII, King of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland, Emperor of India, b. 1841, r. 1901 to 1910, m. Alexandra of Denmark, b. 1844, d. 1925
1) Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Viceroy of Ireland. 1864, to 1899, m. Mary of Teck, Dowager Duchess of Clarence and Avondale, b. 1867​
a) George, 2nd Duke of Clarence and Avondale, b. 1894, d. 1909​
2) Prince George of Wales, b. 1865, d. 1891​
3) Alexandra I, Queen of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India, b. 1867, r. 1910 to 19XX, m. Prince Alexander, Duke of Fife, b. 1849​
a) Alexandra, Princess Royal and Duchess of Sodermanland, b. 1891, m. Wilhelm, Duke of Sodermanland, b. 1884​
1) Oscar, Duke of Blekinge, b. 1911​
b) Princess Maud of Fife, b. 1893,​
4) Victoria, Queen of Portugal, b. 1868, m. Carlos I, King of Portugal, b. 1863​
a) Luis, Prince Royal of Portugal, Duke of Braganza, b. 1886, m. Patricia of Connaught, b. 1886​
b) Victoria of Portugal, b. 1888​
c) Ferdinand, Duke of Beja, b. 1889, d. 1911​
5) Princess Maud, Duchess of Teck, b. 1869, m. Prince Francis, Duke of Teck, b. 1870​
Supplemental ...
The House of Teck
c. Early 1913

Francis, Duke of Teck, b. 1837, d. 1900, m. Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, b. 1833, d. 1897
1) Mary of Teck, Dowager Duchess of Clarence and Avondale, b. 1867, m. Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Viceroy of Ireland, b. 1864, d. 1899​
2) Adolphus of Teck, b. 1868, d. 1890​
3) Prince Francis, Duke of Teck, b. 1870, m. Princess Maud, Duchess of Teck, b. 1869​
4) Alexander of Teck, b. 1874, m. Alice of Albany, b. 1883 (i)​
(i) In 1917, at the end of the Wars of the German Deconstruction, and the declaration of independence of Finland from the Russian Empire, Francis is elected King of Finland. To do so, he abdicates his claim to the Dukedom of Teck, and the title then passes to his younger brother Alexander.

The House of St James
c. Early 1913

Edward VII, King of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland, Emperor of India, b. 1841, r. 1901 to 1910, m. Alexandra of Denmark, b. 1844, d. 1925
1) Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Viceroy of Ireland. 1864, to 1899, m. Mary of Teck, Dowager Duchess of Clarence and Avondale, b. 1867​
2) Prince George of Wales, b. 1865, d. 1891​
3) Alexandra I, Queen of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India, b. 1867, r. 1910 to 19XX, m. Prince Alexander, Duke of Fife, b. 1849​
a) Alexandra, Princess Royal and Duchess of Sodermanland, b. 1891, m. Wilhelm, Duke of Sodermanland, b. 1884​
1) Oscar, Duke of Blekinge, b. 1911​
b) Princess Maud of Fife, b. 1893,​
4) Victoria, Queen of Portugal, b. 1868, m. Carlos I, King of Portugal, b. 1863​
a) Luis, Prince Royal of Portugal, Duke of Braganza, b. 1886, m. Patricia of Connaught, b. 1886​
b) Victoria of Portugal, b. 1888​
c) Ferdinand, Duke of Beja, b. 1889, d. 1911​
5) Princess Maud, Duchess of Teck, b. 1869, m. Prince Francis, Duke of Teck, b. 1870​
Supplemental ...
The House of Teck
c. Early 1913

Francis, Duke of Teck, b. 1837, d. 1900, m. Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, b. 1833, d. 1897
1) Mary of Teck, Dowager Duchess of Clarence and Avondale, b. 1867, m. Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Viceroy of Ireland, b. 1864, d. 1899​
2) Adolphus of Teck, b. 1868, d. 1890​
3) Prince Francis, Duke of Teck, b. 1870, m. Princess Maud, Duchess of Teck, b. 1869​
4) Alexander of Teck, b. 1874, m. Alice of Albany, b. 1883 (i)​
(i) In 1917, at the end of the Wars of the German Deconstruction, and the declaration of independence of Finland from the Russian Empire, Francis is elected King of Finland. To do so, he abdicates his claim to the Dukedom of Teck, and the title then passes to his younger brother Alexander.
I found an interesting story but I don't believe that a marriage between alix and william or maud and francis could work.
  • Alix most likely would have married Christopher or Arthur, with Arthur being an ideal option, as a British prince. William married Maria Pavlovna in 1908 and considering that Alix only became a possible heir to the throne in 1909 it would be unlikely that she would be considered a better option than Maria Pavlovna before 1909 (when she was "only a Highness" with a aristocratic father).
  • Maud was in love with Francis their wedding was practically impossible because he didn't want to. Francis preferred older women and had the decency not to marry maud because he certainly knew that he would not make her in the least happy (he was a gambler and womanizer, who had no fortune). Most likely, Toria's marriage to Carlos I facilitates Maud's marriage to the heir to the Italian crown (Victori Emanuel III) or that she simply marries Carl.
  • Toria and Carlos getting married seems interesting to me, but I suppose it would be unlikely that Toria's son would marry a Protestant bride as well as his father. Perhaps he could marry Margaret of Denmark, who was Catholic and Toria's cousin.
  • Toria´s could survive and marry the King of Spain in place of Ena.
  • ** other questions:
  • What title could be created for Alexander as Louise becomes queen?
  • Who would Maud (of Fife) marry? I remember reading that her marriage was not for love and I believe that as the daughter of a Queen she would certainly be quite desirable, and considering that her sister would inherit all of Louise's private properties (Sandringham and Balmoral) it would be possible let her inherit her father's properties (including Mar Lodge).