The Heirs of Henry VIII and Katherine

1518 - April (After Easter)
April

Henry VIII looked at the letter once more and set it face-down on the table with a sigh. Katherine, who had quickly handled her own missives, was now seated quietly embroidering a shirt for her husband. She put down the shirt.

"My love, what is your trouble?"

Henry picked up the letter and then let it flutter back down to the table. "The Earldom of Ormond."

Katherine smiled and resumed her work. "From Boleyn or from Butler this time?"

"Butler."

"Who already resides in Ireland and has been keeping the duties of the earldom and is respected by the other Irish nobles," she recited from other letters Piers Butler had sent. Henry nodded and his wife continued, "It's the same as all the other letters. Is there a letter from Sir Thomas Boleyn in the stack?"

Henry sat up and flipped through the unread pile. "No, not this time." He chuckled. "They usually sent letters at the same time, don't they?"

"It seems so; you will have to make a decision, my husband. It has been a while and they both deserve an answer."

"And what answer do I give them, Catalina? There is no child to cut in half like Solomon."

She smiled and stopped sewing once more. "Butler has a son and Boleyn another daughter. Since the title is Irish, it would seem fair to have the Irish son wed an English daughter. They are close in age, James and Anne, have them wed and the problem is solved. Boleyn blood will flow through Ormond veins."

"Boleyn wants the title, he feels it is his right."

"Give him an English title. Surely there is one for an honest English knight suited for Boleyn. Both men will have titles for their sons."

"And if Sir Thomas still wants Ormond?"

Katherine's expression became regal. "Then let Sir Thomas Boleyn settle for his knighthood, if he will not take what his king gives him and questions his king's decisions. He will deserve only the knighthood. And should be glad to retain that." She went back to her embroidery.

Henry nodded thoughtfully, then smiled. "I will make a decision after the wedding and John's investiture. That way it cannot be said I hurried. I will pray and listen for God's Will. Although I think he has spoken through you, my queen." He noticed her small smile as she continued with his shirt.

Two Days Later:

The wedding feast from Charles and Mary Brandon was given by the King and Queen and was spectacular. The ceremony just before noon had gone off perfectly and when the festivities were over, the newlyweds would withdraw to a house Charles owned nearby. The new Duchess was radiantly happy and Charles (who, having been married twice before, was not as giddy) was also happy that this marriage had been blessed by not only God but the good wishes of the King and Queen of the realm. It sealed his elevation to Duke in the eyes of the kingdom. The Duke of Norfolk was also present, probably not as happy, but glad that Brandon's wife could be considered a Howard. The Duke of Buckingham sent a rich present, but had absented himself and his wife, pleading illness. His absence displeased the King, who was starting to question Buckingham's loyalty, but was pleasing to not only the Queen, but also the groom, who was all too aware of Buckingham's opinion of Brandon's elevation.

The Boleyns - save their younger daughter, who remained in France in the household of Louise of Savoy - were also pleased. Although Sir Thomas' personal opinion of Brandon varied depending upon the subject, his wife was overjoyed that her daughter had wed a Duke. She was already trying to figure out how high she and her husband could wed both Anne and George.

The most talked-about moment of the day was Prince Henry, Prince of Wales, standing (on his chair) and making a toast bidding happiness and healthy children to the pair with a goblet of watered-down wine. All stood and toasted with him, including his parents. Later, the couple was sent off amid much merriment and well-wishes and the guests mingled without the newlyweds until the King decided the revelry was over.

Sensible solution there Katherine, and correct i that the Knight should not question his King.

Glad the wedding went off well. Another House started.

Nice chapter.

April

Henry VIII looked at the letter once more and set it face-down on the table with a sigh. Katherine, who had quickly handled her own missives, was now seated quietly embroidering a shirt for her husband. She put down the shirt.

"My love, what is your trouble?"

Henry picked up the letter and then let it flutter back down to the table. "The Earldom of Ormond."

Katherine smiled and resumed her work. "From Boleyn or from Butler this time?"

"Butler."

"Who already resides in Ireland and has been keeping the duties of the earldom and is respected by the other Irish nobles," she recited from other letters Piers Butler had sent. Henry nodded and his wife continued, "It's the same as all the other letters. Is there a letter from Sir Thomas Boleyn in the stack?"

Henry sat up and flipped through the unread pile. "No, not this time." He chuckled. "They usually sent letters at the same time, don't they?"

"It seems so; you will have to make a decision, my husband. It has been a while and they both deserve an answer."

"And what answer do I give them, Catalina? There is no child to cut in half like Solomon."

She smiled and stopped sewing once more. "Butler has a son and Boleyn another daughter. Since the title is Irish, it would seem fair to have the Irish son wed an English daughter. They are close in age, James and Anne, have them wed and the problem is solved. Boleyn blood will flow through Ormond veins."

"Boleyn wants the title, he feels it is his right."

"Give him an English title. Surely there is one for an honest English knight suited for Boleyn. Both men will have titles for their sons."

"And if Sir Thomas still wants Ormond?"

Katherine's expression became regal. "Then let Sir Thomas Boleyn settle for his knighthood, if he will not take what his king gives him and questions his king's decisions. He will deserve only the knighthood. And should be glad to retain that." She went back to her embroidery.

Henry nodded thoughtfully, then smiled. "I will make a decision after the wedding and John's investiture. That way it cannot be said I hurried. I will pray and listen for God's Will. Although I think he has spoken through you, my queen." He noticed her small smile as she continued with his shirt.

Two Days Later:

The wedding feast from Charles and Mary Brandon was given by the King and Queen and was spectacular. The ceremony just before noon had gone off perfectly and when the festivities were over, the newlyweds would withdraw to a house Charles owned nearby. The new Duchess was radiantly happy and Charles (who, having been married twice before, was not as giddy) was also happy that this marriage had been blessed by not only God but the good wishes of the King and Queen of the realm. It sealed his elevation to Duke in the eyes of the kingdom. The Duke of Norfolk was also present, probably not as happy, but glad that Brandon's wife could be considered a Howard. The Duke of Buckingham sent a rich present, but had absented himself and his wife, pleading illness. His absence displeased the King, who was starting to question Buckingham's loyalty, but was pleasing to not only the Queen, but also the groom, who was all too aware of Buckingham's opinion of Brandon's elevation.

The Boleyns - save their younger daughter, who remained in France in the household of Louise of Savoy - were also pleased. Although Sir Thomas' personal opinion of Brandon varied depending upon the subject, his wife was overjoyed that her daughter had wed a Duke. She was already trying to figure out how high she and her husband could wed both Anne and George.

The most talked-about moment of the day was Prince Henry, Prince of Wales, standing (on his chair) and making a toast bidding happiness and healthy children to the pair with a goblet of watered-down wine. All stood and toasted with him, including his parents. Later, the couple was sent off amid much merriment and well-wishes and the guests mingled without the newlyweds until the King decided the revelry was over.
I wonder if this Mary Brandon will successfully birth a healthy son, if so that will shake things up a bit...

1518 - June
June:

"Are we packed?" Thomas Boleyn's tone was curt. He wanted to go to the investiture of Prince John as Duke of York (moved up from his birthday in October because his mother was due again then), but he did not relish the meeting he was to have with Cardinal Wolsey prior to the ceremonies.

His wife arched an eyebrow at him. "You don't have to punish me just because you don't believe you'll get Ormond at the meeting with Wolsey. But, yes, we are." She crossed to the table where mulled wine waited. It was late and she wished to go to bed because they had an early morning for the journey back. She'd enjoyed the month at Hever, formal court functions held little attraction for her. She hadn't minded being a lady-in-waiting for the late Queen Elizabeth and wouldn't mind joining Katherine's retinue, but the former Elizabeth Howard was little attracted to formal events that held such pleasure for her ambitious husband. She couldn't imagine why - he'd been knighted but nothing else in all his years in the service of Henry VIII.

Boleyn watched his wife pour two glasses of the hot wine and then take a seat. "You don't understand, I have it on good authority that Wolsey is going to propose that Anne wed James the Lame. Piers Butler will keep the title he has claimed illegally and we will have nothing."

Elizabeth toyed with her glass. "Technically, we won't have nothing. The King is not taking our properties, we are not in royal disfavor, you still have the King's confidence for missions and service. None of that is nothing. What you mean is that all you have to show for the time you've invested in service to the King is your knighthood."

"I will bring up my service and trustworthiness to the Cardinal. I will -"

She set the glass down and stood up. "You won't. I have sources as well, and you know well that they often been more truthful than the gossip you are given."

"So?" He came to the table and took up his glass.

"Wolsey is not the architect of this repeat offer of settlement, the Queen is." The couple sat opposite one another. "It was her suggestion that King arrange this marriage. And if you still objected, that you be required to be content with a knighthood. She had suggested the King offer you another Earldom, one in England; he asked what he should do if you still asked for Ormond. SHE said you should then be content with what your King offered you."

Boleyn thought about his wife's words. "And what do you think?"

"I think both girls will be marrying better than I did. Mary's husband is a Duke and a close friend of the King. Anne's husband will be the son of an Earl." Her husband looked at her angrily, he didn't like to be reminded that Elizabeth's family was higher than his.

"You wanted to marry me." He reminded her. "Wanted to."

She shrugged, finished her drink and stood. "We don't always want what is best for us, do we? My advice, whether is be wanted or no, is that you be happy with the King's decision and thrilled with the prospect of two titled sons-in-law. No caviling with Wolsey on this matter." She left the room, headed for her bedroom. Her personal maid got up from her seat in the corner near the fireplace and followed quietly.

Boleyn threw his own glass at the fireplace, but the throw was short and glass and wine now spread over the floor before it. Then he poured more wine in Elizabeth's glass and downed the contents in one swig before pouring himself another. He stopped before drinking the second glass. It would not be good to get drunk tonight, he would surely pay for it on the journey tomorrow. He took a sip, then set it down. He looked at the young man who served him. "Enjoy it," he told the lad, indicating the wine. "Then go to bed, we leave early in the morning." The surprised young man watched as his master left, then went to the table.

[Note: I decided to keep Boleyn from being his own worst enemy and his wife seemed the best bet for the job.]

Last edited:
June:

"Are we packed?" Thomas Boleyn's tone was curt. He wanted to go to the investiture of Prince John as Duke of York (moved up from his birthday in October because his mother was due again then), but he did not relish the meeting he was to have with Cardinal Wolsey prior to the ceremonies.

His wife arched an eyebrow at him. "You don't have to punish me just because you don't believe you'll get Ormond at the meeting with Wolsey. But, yes, we are." She crossed to the table where mulled wine waited. It was late and she wished to go to bed because they had an early morning for the journey back. She'd enjoyed the month at Hever, formal court functions held little attraction for her. She hadn't minded being a lady-in-waiting for the late Queen Elizabeth and wouldn't mind joining Katherine's retinue, but the former Elizabeth Howard was little attracted to formal events that held such pleasure for her ambitious husband. She couldn't imagine why - he'd been knighted but nothing else in all his years in the service of Henry VIII.

Boleyn watched his wife pour two glasses of the hot wine and then take a seat. "You don't understand, I have it on good authority that Wolsey is going to propose that Anne wed James the Lame. Piers Butler will keep the title he has claimed illegally and we will have nothing."

Elizabeth toyed with her glass. "Technically, we won't have nothing. The King is not taking our properties, we are not in royal disfavor, you still have the King's confidence for missions and service. None of that is nothing. What you mean is that all you have to show for the time you've invested in service to the King is your knighthood."

"I will bring up my service and trustworthiness to the Cardinal. I will -"

She set the glass down and stood up. "You won't. I have sources as well, and you know well that they often been more truthful than the gossip you are given."

"So?" He came to the table and took up his glass.

"Wolsey is not the architect of this repeat offer of settlement, the Queen is." The couple sat opposite one another. "It was her suggestion that King arrange this marriage. And if you still objected, that you be required to be content with a knighthood. She had suggested the King offer you another Earldom, one in England; he asked what he should do if you still asked for Ormond. SHE said you should then be content with what your King offered you."

Boleyn thought about his wife's words. "And what do you think?"

"I think both girls will be marrying better than I did. Mary's husband is a Duke and a close friend of the King. Anne's husband will be the son of an Earl." Her husband looked at her angrily, he didn't like to be reminded that Elizabeth's family was higher than his.

"You wanted to marry me." He reminded her. "Wanted to."

She shrugged, finished her drink and stood. "We don't always want what is best for us, do we? My advice, whether is be wanted or no, is that you be happy with the King's decision and thrilled with the prospect of two titled sons-in-law. No caviling with Wolsey on this matter." She left the room, headed for her bedroom. Her personal maid got up from her seat in the corner near the fireplace and followed quietly.

Boleyn threw his own glass at the fireplace, but the throw was short and glass and wine now spread over the floor before it. Then he poured more wine in Elizabeth's glass and downed the contents in one swig before pouring himself another. He stopped before drinking the second glass. It would not be good to get drunk tonight, he would surely pay for it on the journey tomorrow. He took a sip, then set it down. He looked at the young man who served him. "Enjoy it," he told the lad, indicating the wine. "Then go to bed, we leave early in the morning." The surprised young man watched as his master left, then went to the table.

[Note: I decided to keep Boleyn from being his own worst enemy and his wife seemed the best bet for the job.]
Oooh nice.

Oh, crapola.

Sat down, started the computer, got connected (a bit of a struggle, the computer didn't want to be on the internet!), looked about for the rest of 1518 and.....

it's at my friends house, where I left it. Soooo.. change lanes:

Why didn't anyone mentioned Christina of Denmark for Hal?

Oh, crapola.

Sat down, started the computer, got connected (a bit of a struggle, the computer didn't want to be on the internet!), looked about for the rest of 1518 and.....

She's a fair bit young for the 1511 prince, no?

Oh, crapola.

I didn't, because I think she's too young. If Hal is born in 1511, and Christina in 1521, that's a ten-year age gap. Henry's not going to want to wait until his precious heir is 24/25 to start having a chance of a grandson. And that's before you get into the fact that Christina's father loses his throne...

I didn't, because I think she's too young. If Hal is born in 1511, and Christina in 1521, that's a ten-year age gap. Henry's not going to want to wait until his precious heir is 24/25 to start having a chance of a grandson. And that's before you get into the fact that Christina's father loses his throne...
This...Henry will want grandsons STAT and 10000% will not wish to wait for a young girl to be able to bear children. Renee of France works better for Hal, age-wise.

I didn't, because I think she's too young. If Hal is born in 1511, and Christina in 1521, that's a ten-year age gap.
But, post #153:
I think Maria of Viseu (b 1521 if butterflies haven't done for her) , would be an excellent match.

This is why I asked. Henry VIII is not going to marry Hal off at 14 just because it's legal. OTL, Renee was a reformist. Reformation is coming later for England since H8's OTL second wifey isn't his second wifey during the crucial period. (If, for some odd reason, Anne does marry H8, it will be after Katherine dies and none of this anti-papal heresy will be tolerated by H8.

But, post #153:

This is why I asked. Henry VIII is not going to marry Hal off at 14 just because it's legal. OTL, Renee was a reformist. Reformation is coming later for England since H8's OTL second wifey isn't his second wifey during the crucial period. (If, for some odd reason, Anne does marry H8, it will be after Katherine dies and none of this anti-papal heresy will be tolerated by H8.
Fair point. Maria is also very young, but she's richer and ties Henry to the richest country in Europe. Christina doesn't have that going for her, particularly not if her father loses his crown. But I would prefer a surviving Maria of Portugal (b.1513), to Maria de Viseu, if I'm honest.

Renee might be a Reformer, but she brings Henry a very strong claim to Brittany and a daughter who can have children sooner rather than later. And besides, Renee managed a family with a very Catholic husband OTL. I don't think her faith should preclude her from becoming Princess of Wales.

Currently, Renee is behind Claude and Claude's children in the Brittany battle.

Wouldn't butterflying Maria of 1513 affect Maria of 1521? Anyone else on board with this? Katherine will love it. But she can't vote! (No internet access.)

Currently, Renee is behind Claude and Claude's children in the Brittany battle.

Wouldn't butterflying Maria of 1513 affect Maria of 1521? Anyone else on board with this? Katherine will love it. But she can't vote! (No internet access.)
Well. Maria of Viseu herself can easily be butterflied as her mother can have married elsewhere (Lorraine or Poland) or if Charles V was more amenable to marry Isabella of Portugal (and if neither England or France had offered him a match he will be), Eleanor will marry John instead of Manuel.

If Maria of Portugal had lived and Manuel remarried to Eleanor I guess who ATL Maria of Viseu will simply have another name, likely Eleanor

1518 July - December
July

The investiture of Prince John to Duke of York was delayed to allow the French King’s representative (Francis, Duke of Brittany) from the Regent’s Council to arrive. The weather over the channel made it impossible to sail until the end of June. Francis arrived, looked somewhat the worse for wear, on the first of July, allowing the ceremony (and festivities) to be rescheduled for the following week. Francis carried a letter from Queen-Regent Marie suggesting her brother and the Duke discuss the possibility of Renee wedding the Prince of Wales. There were other offers, the French had to know, England was no longer looked at with raised eyebrows at the thought of a princess of the blood wedding the oldest son of the King of England.

The Prince of Wales was not involved in the investiture of his younger brother. His parents wished that he not distract from John’s moment of honor. Hal was an admired child and acted older than his years. John was already jealous that he couldn’t keep up with or accomplish or participate as Hal could. So, from a newly built upper alcove balcony hidden by a screen, the Prince of Wales watched the ceremony with William Carey and Lady Elizabeth Boleyn. Carey wasn’t as happy about not being in the ceremony as the Lady Boleyn. If Elizabeth, as Thomas wished, stayed at court, she hoped to be granted the request to stay with the children, particularly Prince Mary Katherine (everyone else referred to the girl as Mary, but the Prince of Wales kept reminding Elizabeth he’d named her Mary Katherine). There was a new royal child coming in early November and more people would be needed. There was nothing more boring to Elizabeth than the court proper with all the courtiers and diplomats and ladies and gossip.

Hal was quiet, as his parents commanded, but sniggered when John stumbled over his words (John had a lisp that he hadn’t grown out of that Hal never had). Carey ignored it, but Elizabeth leaned over to him.

“That is not polite and is not worthy of a Prince of Wales,” she whispered. The prince stopped at once. Elizabeth could understand his boredom, ceremonies were one reason she hated court. She thought about the differences between the pair of brothers. Hal was slower to warm to people. John wanted everyone to like him (a trait he shared with his father). John was more like his father in other ways, he craved attention for everything he did. If one didn’t praise anything John did, he pouted and let everyone know he wasn’t happy. Hal kept more of his own council (something his father liked to think he did). John needed (again, like his father) to recognize the difference between compliments and mere flattery. Hal, on the other hand, seemed to believe that most adults were telling him what he wanted to hear; so, he usually didn’t believe any of them.

Finally, the ceremony was at an end and the crowd began to follow the King and Queen (and the newly invested Duke of York) towards the banqueting hall and the feast that was to follow.

“Do you remember what your mother told you?” Elizabeth asked the 7-year-old as he began to follow William Carey from the balcony.

“Of course,” Hal said, turning to her and smiling. “It is John’s day, I am to be not heard and seen as little as I can manage. I am to praise my brother for his conduct during the ceremony and not speak of myself.” Elizabeth chuckled and motioned him on.

September

September started out wet and stayed that way. Halfway through the month, an illness went around that resulted in diarrhea and vomiting. A fortnight before her confinement was to begin and in the middle of her own bout with the illness, Katherine went into labor. The midwife was there, checking the queen because of her illness. Less than three hours after labor began, Katherine delivered a girl, quiet and barely breathing. The child’s pale blue coloring told the midwife she would have to christen the child herself. Waving her daughter over (leaving her two nieces to help with the queen, who was being changed) and with the Duchess of Suffolk, Agnes baptized the child Cecily.

“What else should I do for you?” Mary asked.

Agnes was concentrating on the child. “Lizzie, take the lady back to the queen. Her majesty should be cleaned up. I’ll handle the child.” The freckled lass of perhaps 15 led Mary back to Katherine. It was half an hour later with the swaddled babe was handed to her mother.

“Tell my husband,” gasped the Queen to the Duchess. Mary nodded and hurried off.

“Cecily?” Henry repeated after Mary told her. Normally, with Katherine ill, Henry would have been elsewhere, he feared illness more than almost anything else. He had also had the illness and the doctor had forbidden him to leave.

Mary nodded. “The babe wasn’t breathing well and the midwife baptized her.”

Henry rose and motioned for Charles Brandon to do the same. “Cecily, my mother’s sister was named Cecily. Come Charles, let’s give thanks and offer prayers for both Katherine and the child.” Brandon gave his wife a quick kiss before following the King out of the room.

December

When Anne Boleyn was presented to Queen Katherine, she was thrilled, of course. But she wished it had been under better circumstances. It wasn’t that Anne didn’t want to meet her majesty, but she’d come from being one of Louise of Savoy’s ladies into a court in mourning. Princess Cecily, having spent her life short of breath and pale had died the week before her arrival (and buried the day she had arrived). Christmas would not be totally ignored, but subdued. The reason for Anne’s recall (and her displeasure) was a marriage she wasn’t sure she wanted and knew her father had been reluctant about; and for some reason, Anne would be rooming with her mother while her father shared quarters with George.

Once in the rooms with her mother, Anne came straight to the point: “Why am I marrying this lame Irishman?”

“The King wishes it. He feels it settles the Ormond dispute. You wedding James means that both Boleyn and Butler blood is in the babe.” Elizabeth was mending an overskirt and didn’t look up. She didn’t have to, really, she knew what Anne’s expression was from the tone of the girl’s voice.

“He’s lame!” Anne repeated.

“He became so serving the King. It’s one of the reasons you’re wedding him next year. The King will be giving your father a title after that – “

Anne interrupted her mother. “And that is not a certainty! You have no idea what title he’ll be given. I’ll be the daughter of Baron Boleyn in all probability.”

“You’ll be the wife of the next Earl of Ormond, Anne. Your father’s title, or lack of one, won’t be for you to worry on.”

Anne sat across from her mother. “And why am I going to Hever with you until the wedding?”

“We’ll be working on your trousseau. James Butler will visit from time to time, you’ll get to know one another,” was the reply.

“I would get to know him better if I stayed here at court. It would also make getting my trousseau together easier as well.” Anne pointed out.

Elizabeth set the sewing down. “And it would be easier for you to find yourself someone other than James Butler. Don’t think I don’t know you, my daughter. Your father has given over for this solution, so reconcile yourself to James Butler. If you make trouble, it may cost your father.”

“I’m being sold on possibility that the king will honor his word and make father something higher than a knight.” Anne left the room, slamming the door as she did.

Mary Brandon was making sure the mourning bands were correctly placed on her gowns and Charles’ shirts. The King and Queen had cut back on the requirements because of the child’s young age. Anne came barging into the rooms, startling her.

“Anne! You scared me. You should have knocked, Charles could be –“

“You’re pregnant and the court’s in mourning. I don’t see that you and –“

“He lives here, Anne, he could be changing his clothes.” Anne flopped into the closest chair. Her expression told Mary that Anne was upset. “What’s wrong, Annie? I thought you were going to be presented to the Queen. What happened?” She put the clothes aside.

“I was presented to the Queen.” Anne said with a sigh.

“I would think that you’d be happy about that.”

“I am happy about that. What I’m not happy about is being married off to a limping Irishman whose father got my father’s title and my father is rolling over because mother says the Queen told her father would get another title.” Anne looked at her sister. “I don’t want to marry an Irishman. I want to marry and Englishman. I’m sorry I left France.”

Mary laughed. “It’s not like you had a choice. Once you were requested to return, you couldn’t refuse and Louise wouldn’t keep you.”

“I want to marry an Englishman. I’ll find myself a husband. I’m not going to Ireland!” Anne’s speech was interrupted by the arrival of her brother-in-law.

He’d heard the last bit. "You’ll only go to Ireland when your first pregnancy is settled.” Charles told her. He crossed to the table and poured himself some wine. “I know James, he’s a good man. If you give him a chance, you’ll probably like him.”

“Why should I marry the son of the man who’s convinced the king he should have my father’s title?” Anne asked.

Brandon laughed. “Piers Butler is the new Earl of Ormond, the King signed the papers in October. James Butler is the heir to the Earldom and you’re going to be his wife.

“Not if I can do something about it," commented Anne.

“Such as?” Brandon sat down and looked at his sister-in-law.

“I’ll convince the Queen that –“

He interrupted. “The Queen came up with the solution, my dear sister. The King conferred with your uncle the Duke of Norfolk and Cardinal Wolsey and it was decided that it was a good thing.”

“My uncle agreed?” Anne was incredulous.

Brandon shrugged. “He saw the King was set upon it, he’s no fool. You could learn from him.”

“Is there nothing I can do about this? Being sold for a title, I might as well be a horse.”

At this, Charles snickered. “I imagine you might feel like one if you wed.”

Anne ignored the joke. “How can I get out of this?”

“The King’s mind is the one to change. You might be able to do that, if you’re clever enough.” Charles poured himself more wine then poured one for his wife and Anne. Mary took the glasses and handed Anne one.

Anne sipped the wine and looked up at him. “Will you provide me with an introduction to the King?”

Charles shook his head. “No. Your father has made the decision for you, Anne. As your father, it’s his responsibility. Discuss your unhappiness with him before approaching the King.”

Anne set the glass down and stood. “If I convince father, will you introduce me to the King?”

“If you convince your father, let him introduce you. But if your father doesn’t agree with you, then don’t approach the King.” Anne left yet another room with the slamming of a door.

“Why do you make her talk to my father? He’s stubborn when his mind is made up.” Mary asked.

“Because, if she goes to the King without her father’s blessing, she may find the price of not wedding James Butler something she cares not to pay. It’s best she goes with her father and not against him.”

Last edited:
July

The investiture of Prince John to Duke of York was delayed to allow the French King’s representative (Francis, Duke of Brittany) from the Regent’s Council to arrive. The weather over the channel made it impossible to sail until the end of June. Francis arrived, looked somewhat the worse for wear, on the first of July, allowing the ceremony (and festivities) to be rescheduled for the following week. Francis carried a letter from Queen-Regent Marie suggesting her brother and the Duke discuss the possibility of Renee wedding the Prince of Wales. There were other offers, the French had to know, England was no longer looked at with raised eyebrows at the thought of a princess of the blood wedding the oldest son of the King of England.

The Prince of Wales was not involved in the investiture of his younger brother. His parents wished that he not distract from John’s moment of honor. Hal was an admired child and acted older than his years. John was already jealous that he couldn’t keep up with or accomplish or participate as Hal could. So, from a newly built upper alcove balcony hidden by a screen, the Prince of Wales watched the ceremony with William Carey and Lady Elizabeth Boleyn. Carey wasn’t as happy about not being in the ceremony as the Lady Boleyn. If Elizabeth, as Thomas wished, stayed at court, she hoped to be granted the request to stay with the children, particularly Prince Mary Katherine (everyone else referred to the girl as Mary, but the Prince of Wales kept reminding Elizabeth he’d named her Mary Katherine). There was a new royal child coming in early November and more people would be needed. There was nothing more boring to Elizabeth than the court proper with all the courtiers and diplomats and ladies and gossip.

Hal was quiet, as his parents commanded, but sniggered when John stumbled over his words (John had a lisp that he hadn’t grown out of that Hal never had. Carey ignored it, but Elizabeth leaned over to him.

“That is not polite and is not worthy of a Prince of Wales,” she whispered. The prince stopped at once. Elizabeth could understand his boredom, ceremonies were one reason she hated court. She thought about the differences between the pair of brothers. Hal was slower to warm to people. John wanted everyone to like him (a trait he shared with his father). John was more like his father in other ways, he craved attention for everything he did. If one didn’t praise anything John did, he pouted and let everyone know he wasn’t happy. Hal kept more of his own council (something his father liked to think he did). John needed (again, like his father) to recognize the difference between compliments and mere flattery. Hal, on the other hand, seemed to believe that most adults were telling him what he wanted to hear; so, he usually didn’t believe any of them.

Finally, the ceremony was at an end and the crowd began to follow the King and Queen (and the newly invested Duke of York) towards the banqueting hall and the feast that was to follow.

“Do you remember what your mother told you?” Elizabeth asked the 7-year-old as he began to follow William Carey from the balcony.

“Of course,” Hal said, turning to her and smiling. “It is John’s day, I am to be not heard and seen as little as I can manage. I am to praise my brother for his conduct during the ceremony and not speak of myself.” Elizabeth chuckled and motioned him on.

September

September started out wet and stayed that way. Halfway through the month, an illness went around that resulted in diarrhea and vomiting. A fortnight before her confinement was to begin and in the middle of her own bout with the illness, Katherine went into labor. The midwife was there, checking the queen because of her illness. Less than three hours after labor began, Katherine delivered a girl, quiet and barely breathing. The child’s pale blue coloring told the midwife she would have to christen the child herself. Waving her daughter over (leaving her two nieces to help with the queen, who was being changed) and with the Duchess of Suffolk, Agnes baptized the child Cecily.

“What else should I do for you?” Mary asked.

Agnes was concentrating on the child. “Lizzie, take the lady back to the queen. Her majesty should be cleaned up. I’ll handle the child.” The freckled lass of perhaps 15 led Mary back to Katherine. It was half an hour later with the swaddled babe was handed to her mother.

“Tell my husband,” gasped the Queen to the Duchess. Mary nodded and hurried off.

“Cecily?” Henry repeated after Mary told her. Normally, with Katherine ill, Henry would have been elsewhere, he feared illness more than almost anything else. He had also had the illness and the doctor had forbidden him to leave.

Mary nodded. “The babe wasn’t breathing well and the midwife baptized her.”

Henry rose and motioned for Charles Brandon to do the same. “Cecily, my mother’s sister was named Cecily. Come Charles, let’s give thanks and offer prayers for both Katherine and the child.” Brandon gave his wife a quick kiss before following the King out of the room.

December

When Anne Boleyn was presented to Queen Katherine, she was thrilled, of course. But she wished it had been under better circumstances. It wasn’t that Anne didn’t want to meet her majesty, but she’d come from being one of Louise of Savoy’s ladies into a court in mourning. Princess Cecily, having spent her short of breath and pale had died the week before her arrival (and buried the day she had arrived). Christmas would not be totally ignored, but subdued. The reason for Anne’s recall (and her displeasure) was a marriage she wasn’t sure she wanted and knew her father had been reluctant about; and for some reason, Anne would be rooming with her mother while her father shared quarters with George.

Once in the rooms with her mother, Anne came straight to the point: “Why am I marrying this lame Irishman?”

“The King wishes it. He feels it settles the Ormond dispute. You wedding James means that both Boleyn and Butler blood is in the babe.” Elizabeth was mending an overskirt and didn’t look up. She didn’t have to, really, she knew what Anne’s expression was from the tone of the girl’s voice.

“He’s lame!” Anne repeated.

“He became so serving the King. It’s one of the reasons you’re wedding him next year. The King will be giving your father a title after that – “

Anne interrupted her mother. “And that is not a certainty! You have no idea what title he’ll be given. I’ll be the daughter of Baron Boleyn in all probability.”

“You’ll be the wife of the next Earl of Ormond, Anne. Your father’s title, or lack of one, won’t be for you to worry on.”

Anne sat across from her mother. “And why am I going to Hever with you until the wedding?”

“We’ll be working on your trousseau. James Butler will visit from time to time, you’ll get to know one another,” was the reply.

“I would get to know him better if I stayed here at court. It would also make getting my trousseau together easier as well.” Anne pointed out.

Elizabeth set the sewing down. “And it would be easier for you to find yourself someone other than James Butler. Don’t think I don’t know you, my daughter. Your father has given over for this solution, so reconcile yourself to James Butler. If you make trouble, it may cost your father.”

“I’m being sold on possibility that the king will honor his word and make father something higher than a knight.” Anne left the room, slamming the door as she did.

Mary Brandon was making sure the mourning bands were correctly placed on her gowns and Charles’ shirts. The King and Queen had cut back on the requirements because of the child’s young age. Anne came barging into the rooms, startling her.

“Anne! You scared me. You should have knocked, Charles could be –“

“You’re pregnant and the court’s in mourning. I don’t see that you and –“

“He lives here, Anne, he could be changing his clothes.” Anne flopped into the closest chair. Her expression told Mary that Anne was upset. “What’s wrong, Annie? I thought you were going to be presented to the Queen. What happened?” She put the clothes aside.

“I was presented to the Queen.” Anne said with a sigh.

“I would think that you’d be happy about that.”

“I am happy about that. What I’m not happy about is being married off to a limping Irishman whose father got my father’s title and my father is rolling over because mother says the Queen told her father would get another title.” Anne looked at her sister. “I don’t want to marry an Irishman. I want to marry and Englishman. I’m sorry I left France.”

Mary laughed. “It’s not like you had a choice. Once you were requested to return, you couldn’t refuse and Louise wouldn’t keep you.”

“I want to marry an Englishman. I’ll find myself a husband. I’m not going to Ireland!” Anne’s speech was interrupted by the arrival of her brother-in-law.

He’d heard the last bit. "You’ll only go to Ireland when your first pregnancy is settled.” Charles told her. He crossed to the table and poured himself some wine. “I know James, he’s a good man. If you give him a chance, you’ll probably like him.”

“Why should I marry the son of the man who’s convinced the king he should have my father’s title?” Anne asked.

Brandon laughed. “Piers Butler is the new Earl of Ormond, the King signed the papers in October. James Butler is the heir to the Earldom and you’re going to be his wife.

“Not if I can do something about it," commented Anne.

“Such as?” Brandon sat down and looked at his sister-in-law.

“I’ll convince the Queen that –“

He interrupted. “The Queen came up with the solution, my dear sister. The King conferred with your uncle the Duke of Norfolk and Cardinal Wolsey and it was decided that it was a good thing.”

“My uncle agreed?” Anne was incredulous.

Brandon shrugged. “He saw the King was set upon it, he’s no fool. You could learn from him.”

“Is there nothing I can do about this? Being sold for a title, I might as well be a horse.”

At this, Charles snickered. “I imagine you might feel like one if you wed.”

Anne ignored the joke. “How can I get out of this?”

“The King’s mind is the one to change. You might be able to do that, if you’re clever enough.” Charles poured himself more wine then poured one for his wife and Anne. Mary took the glasses and handed Anne one.

Anne sipped the wine and looked up at him. “Will you provide me with an introduction to the King?”

Charles shook his head. “No. Your father has made the decision for you, Anne. As your father, it’s his responsibility. Discuss your unhappiness with him before approaching the King.”

Anne set the glass down and stood. “If I convince father, will you introduce me to the King?”

“If you convince your father, let him introduce you. But if your father doesn’t agree with you, then don’t approach the King.” Anne left yet another room with the slamming of a door.

“Why do you make her talk to my father? He’s stubborn when his mind is made up.” Mary asked.

“Because, if she goes to the King without her father’s blessing, she may find the price of not wedding James Butler something she cares not to pay. It’s best she goes with her father and not against him.”
Hoo boy! Well this is going to go well...

The reason for the birth/death of Princess Cecily is that I get tired of children being stillborn. So, like a lot of children from the era, she's born, is never well and dies quickly, hardly noticed (except for the alt history buffs in this ATL who will do numerous TLs about "What if Mary died and Cecily lived?" or "What if Cecily was Henry VIII's only surviving child, coming up with all sorts of things to rid the world of Hal & John & Mary & whoever else H8 & K have).

The reason for the birth/death of Princess Cecily is that I get tired of children being stillborn. So, like a lot of children from the era, she's born, is never well and dies quickly, hardly noticed (except for the alt history buffs in this ATL who will do numerous TLs about "What if Mary died and Cecily lived?" or "What if Cecily was Henry VIII's only surviving child, coming up with all sorts of things to rid the world of Hal & John & Mary & whoever else H8 & K have).
x'D

Interesting differences between the Princes- wonder which one gets on better with their Father?

Anne is quite stubborn- she should at least meet the man she to marry first, sure she might not like being traded but if James is an Adonis and/or just on her 'wavelength' she might regret turning him down...

Last edited: