The Guns of the Tawantinsuya

G.Bone said:
great TL- but I'm wondering about if you are going to update the Hittite one...

I'll get to it soon. Don't know exactly when yet. But soon. I also am working on an update to the Rome Destroyed in 450 BC timeline.

Robert, Is there an chance that the Amazonic Tribe of Warrior Women that Orellena discovered about 1540 AD? It would be interesting to see them as an Client Kingdom of Tawantisuya

Historico said:
Robert, Is there an chance that the Amazonic Tribe of Warrior Women that Orellena discovered about 1540 AD? It would be interesting to see them as an Client Kingdom of Tawantisuya

No. The evidence I have seen regarding them indicates that they did not really exist.

sunsurf said:
Sometime in early Inca history, most of the men succumb either to disease, accident or they die in battle. It's just a statistical fluke which happens to leave women as the only able-bodied adults among the Incas in one particular year. The others are either children, or the teens also died in battle, or they are weak and sickly. So the wife of the deceased chief has a vision and tells the tribe that she is to be the new Inca. The Inca religion is modified accordingly.

The legend - or longing - finally bore fruit when Orellana encountered a group of fighting women near the mouth of the Nhamunda river, a tributary of the Amazon river 300 kilometers east of Brazil’s Rio Negro river. In the words of his chronicler, Friar Carvajal, Orellana did not doubt the identity of his foes. But were they a self-supporting tribe of Amazon women or part of a larger mixed culture? The Chilean painter and anthropologist, Roland Stevenson, believes there never was a unique tribe of women warriors though he also believes Orellana was no liar.

Stevenson has researched the legends of Amazonia for 25 years. His investigations suggest that several waves of women travelers known as the “Virgins of the Sun” entered the Amazon in the years following 1533. He believes the women encountered by Orellana were Incas whom the Conquistadors had driven from Peru at the height of the conquest. Stevenson has uncovered a lost west-east highway upon which these women refugees supposedly traveled. The highway ultimately led to the fabled Lake Parime, an inland sea northwest of the Brazilian city of Boa Vista on the Venezuelan border. Because it had dried up 200 years before the first Europeans ever set foot in the New World,(3) this legendary lake was never discovered by the many expeditions that went in search of it and the golden city of Manoa said to lie upon her shores.

Carvajal said:
Caravajal Wrote:

We ourselves saw ten or twleve of these women fighting there in front of all the Indian Men as female captains. They fought so courageously that the men did not dare turn their backs. They killed any Indian men who did turn back, with their clubs, right there in front of us, which is why the clubs, right there in front of us, which is why the Indians kept up their defences for so long. These Women are very white and tall, with very long briaded har wound about their heads. They are very Robust, and go naked with their private parts covered, with bows and arrows in their hands, doing as much fighting as ten Indian men...And indeed there was one woman among these who shot an arrow a span(nine inches or so) into one of the brigantines(boats): otheres did the same untill our Brigantines looked like Porcupines.

The captured Indian also told Carvajal that he had often visited the Villages of these women a week's march to the nroth of the river.

Carvajal said:
The Indian said that the Women Warriors houses wre of stone and with wooden doors, and that from one village to another wnet roads...with gaurds stationed at intervals along them so that no one might enter without paying duty. The Captian asked if these women bore children: the Indian answered that they did. He asked him how, not bieng married, and there bieng no man residing among them, they became pregnat; he replied that these Indian Women consorted with the males at times, when desire came over them.

They also assembled a great horde of warriors and went off to make waron a very great cheiftan whose residence is not far from the land of these women , and so by force they brough them to their own country and kept them to their country without doing them any harm. Afterwards, when the time came for the mto have children, if they gave birth to male childre they killed them or sent them to their fathers, and if female raised them with great care and instructed them in the ars of war.

He said that there was in their possession a very great wealth of gold and silver, and that in the case of all women of rank and disntiction their eating utensils nothing by gold or silver, while the other women belonging to the plebeian class, used a service of wooden vessels and clay. He said that in the capital and prinicple city in which the ruling mistress resided, there were five very large building, which were places dedicated to the sun...and that inside, from half of a man's height above the ground up, these buildings were limited with heavy wooden ceilings covered with paint of various colours, and that in these buildings they had many gold and silver idols in the form of women, and many vessels of gold and silver for the service of the sun.

robertp6165 said:
No. The evidence I have seen regarding them indicates that they did not really exist.

We have several eye witness accounts and Scholary backing from many Historians on Orellea findings. There are more than 200 tribes living in Brazil and we still havent explored the thick steaming jungles of the Amazon. So an Virgins of the Sun ofshoot would become even more likeley in this TL.

Historico said:
We have several eye witness accounts and Scholary backing from many Historians on Orellea findings. There are more than 200 tribes living in Brazil and we still havent explored the thick steaming jungles of the Amazon. So an Virgins of the Sun ofshoot would become even more likeley in this TL.

I have read the accounts of the reputed tribe of "Amazon women" of Brazil and I disagree with your interpretation of them. What we have is not factual history, but rather unreliable second and third-hand accounts passed on to Spanish explorers by local natives. And it is not true that "we still haven't explored" the Amazon Jungles. They have been explored, and there is very little possibility that there are undiscovered tribes still in Brazil. What we are dealing with here is "CRYPTO-ANTHROPOLOGY," not established history.

Much as the inclusion of such a tribe in the timeline might be entertaining, I prefer to stick to real history (or as real as alternate history can be, anyway). :)

Come on Robert, set your mind free and go with the Amazonian Tribes in this TL, Enjoy yourself and that goes for you all to :D

Robert, With The British/Tawantinsuya alliance in Phillip's War...Is Roanoke ever lost...or does it continue to thrive with contacts with Tawatinsuya?

Historico said:
Robert, With The British/Tawantinsuya alliance in Phillip's War...Is Roanoke ever lost...or does it continue to thrive with contacts with Tawatinsuya?

Yes, Roanoke was lost as in OTL.

With Tawantinsuya's new British Galleons, has trade increased with Mexico and the other North American Colonies? Could report's of the harsh acts of trements of the Northern Amerindians reach the Inca(By Runners of course) and they could finace Revolts in the Yucatan Pennisula to throw of their Spanish Overloads and establish an new Mayan Kingdom? This Era of Liberation could strenthen it's ties with the Palmares Super Qulimboa in Amazonia(I think using their unique system of Runners and Roads could possibly create Strong Ties With them). It could also extend it way for the Tawntinsuya's to establish contact with the Iroquis and possiblly establish an more Democratic role of Government itself.

Rober, Have you ever heard of the Gilded City Tawantinsuyian City of Patiti. The writer Cesar Augusto Machicao Gomez wrote in “The History of Apolo and the Franz Tamayo rovince” (ed. CIMA, 1990) that during the Inca reign of the 13th century, Yahuar Huacaj marched across the Apolobamba mountain range in charge of 15,000 men and conquered the Amaru Mayu, “Serpent River” or what is today known as the Madre de Dios River. A century later at the head of 10,000 men, Inca Yupanqui followed the route of his great-grandfather and descended to the Beni, in the Amazon. Later Huayna Capac, the son of Yupanqui sent his general Hurcu Huaranca at the head of a further 10,000 men. The first myths of the famous Patiti or El Dorado, appear to date back to these great invasions.

Once the colonizing Spanish forces exerted initial control and dominance over the American territory, Evangelization or Christian conversion of the traditional populations followed. The Spaniards settled in Franciscan, Augustine and Dominican missions all along the Apolobamba and Apolo regions. However e secret, main reason for their presence was not to preach the word of God, but to find the Golden treasures of the Patití. In 1573, the appointed governor of the Arexaca Province (today referred to as Larecaja) Juan Álvarez de Maldonado, became the first great explorer of Apolobamba and the founder of the town of Apolo. The few surviving reports, archived in the Spanish National Library, describe explorations all along the Nudo de Apolobamba (Apolobamba Mountain Chain), in search of gold. These small expeditions concentrated on the villages of Ilo-Ilo, Mojos and Keara. After 1619, the alliance of Diego Ramirez Carlos with the bishop of the city of La Paz, Fray Gregorio de Bolivar de la Orden de San Francisco led to much bigger explorations.

So What If the Tawantinsuya Still inhabit the Mysterious City with it's Great amount of Gold and Silver in this TL, and the city never got lost(I am going to find more research on the city. Robert, When should we expect the next Installemt of this Potentially Great Timeline?

Last edited:
Anthony Appleyard said:
There seems to be plenty of time for knowledge of gunpowder and guns and cannon to spread from Inca-land to Mexico before Cortez comes, and Spain he quickly seen off by the Aztecs. Spain's attention changes towards the Middle East.

There doesn't seem to have been a great deal of contact between the civilizations of Mexico and those of Peru. Such basic and undeniably useful knowledge as writing or the Inca quipu accounting system did not spread between the cultures, for example, so I doubt that the knowledge of gunpowder would have spread north to Mexico. Also, guns and cannon (as opposed to gunpowder itself) were only invented in Peru in the mid-1400s, so there wouldn't have been much time for that anyway.

Historico said:
With Tawantinsuya's new British Galleons, has trade increased with Mexico and the other North American Colonies?

Well, as far as North America goes, there is nobody there to trade with right now except the Spanish, and the Spanish are a mortal enemy. However, Tawantinsuya ships are trading with England, at the very least.

Historico said:
Could report's of the harsh acts of trements of the Northern Amerindians reach the Inca(By Runners of course) and they could finace Revolts in the Yucatan Pennisula to throw of their Spanish Overloads and establish an new Mayan Kingdom?

There would not have been a "racial identity" among native American peoples of this period. To use an analogy, suppose a foreign power had conquered and was exterminating one of the nations of Europe...France, for example. Would the rulers of Russia have cared about that? Probably not. A similar situation would apply here. The Inca might hear about it, but would he care? Most likely not...why care what happens to foreigners?

Historico said:
This Era of Liberation could strenthen it's ties with the Palmares Super Qulimboa in Amazonia(I think using their unique system of Runners and Roads could possibly create Strong Ties With them). It could also extend it way for the Tawntinsuya's to establish contact with the Iroquis and possiblly establish an more Democratic role of Government itself.

Well, there is evidence (announced by archaeologists working in the region within the past couple of years) that a system of "roads" and a trading network of villages did exist in the Amazon region. So it is not beyond the realm of possiblility that the Tawantinsuya could establish contact with the Palmares Super Qulimboa. Whether that would lead to contact with the Iroquois...who are thousands of miles away...is a different matter. I think "democracy" is more likely to enter the Inca system through contact with England, though.

Historico said:
Robert, Have you ever heard of the Gilded City Tawantinsuyian City of Patiti. The writer Cesar Augusto Machicao Gomez wrote in “The History of Apolo and the Franz Tamayo rovince” (ed. CIMA, 1990) that during the Inca reign of the 13th century, Yahuar Huacaj marched across the Apolobamba mountain range in charge of 15,000 men and conquered the Amaru Mayu, “Serpent River” or what is today known as the Madre de Dios River. A century later at the head of 10,000 men, Inca Yupanqui followed the route of his great-grandfather and descended to the Beni, in the Amazon. Later Huayna Capac, the son of Yupanqui sent his general Hurcu Huaranca at the head of a further 10,000 men. The first myths of the famous Patiti or El Dorado, appear to date back to these great invasions....

The Tawantinsuya may have entered the region as these legends state, but there is no real evidence that they stayed. The Tawantinsuya were plenty rich enough as it was in OTL. We don't need to go looking for mythical cities for them to have all the cash they need.

Darkest

Banned
Hey, that is a very interesting Timeline. I would really like to see it continued. A lot of work was put into it and it shows. Keep it up, I would love to see more of it.

Darkest90 said:
Hey, that is a very interesting Timeline. I would really like to see it continued. A lot of work was put into it and it shows. Keep it up, I would love to see more of it.

This is probably the next of my timelines which will be updated. Hopefully this weekend or next weekend.

robertp6165 said:
Well, as far as North America goes, there is nobody there to trade with right now except the Spanish, and the Spanish are a mortal enemy. However, Tawantinsuya ships are trading with England, at the very least.

But You did say that the Tawantinsuya have and are using the English Galleon Designs so would be able to sail to North America through Panama.

robertp6165 said:
There would not have been a "racial identity" among native American peoples of this period. To use an analogy, suppose a foreign power had conquered and was exterminating one of the nations of Europe...France, for example. Would the rulers of Russia have cared about that? Probably not. A similar situation would apply here. The Inca might hear about it, but would he care? Most likely not...why care what happens to foreigners?

They Arent foreginers...but I was just trying to give North America and Native Superpower...Like that of the South. I mean the Spanish were treating the Natives pretty badly before Las Casas even showed up(A twist could be to have him butterflied away)

robertp6165 said:
Well, there is evidence (announced by archaeologists working in the region within the past couple of years) that a system of "roads" and a trading network of villages did exist in the Amazon region. So it is not beyond the realm of possiblility that the Tawantinsuya could establish contact with the Palmares Super Qulimboa. Whether that would lead to contact with the Iroquois...who are thousands of miles away...is a different matter. I think "democracy" is more likely to enter the Inca system through contact with England, though.

Great...I am interesting in seeing how South America Would develop with two different Powers allying themselves and growing in power together to beat out the Spanish, Portugese, and the Dutch(Maybe something like OTL Monroe Doctorine)

And the Iroquis would have should be able to establish contact with the Iroquis(The English Galleons remeber) I mean an Tawantinsuya trading vessel could show up on Virginia's shore and meet some of the Iroquis throght the English.

I look forward to the next Installemnt as always

I am posting a revised and expanded version of the first section of the timeline, in preparation for posting the second segment, which I anticipate having ready sometime next weekend.

=======================================================

THE GUNS OF THE TAWANTINSUYA, PART ONE...800-1600 A.D.

ca. A.D. 800: Under the leadership of Taycanamo, the Chimu, a people probably
descended from the earlier Moche culture which had once held sway in the same region,
form the Kingdom of Chimor in the northern coastal region of Peru. Construction begins
on their capital, the city of Chan Chan. Buildings are made of adobe brick, covered with
a cement into which intricate designs are carved. At about the same time, other related
tribes form the Kingdom of Sican, north of Chimor.

ca. A.D. 900--The Chimu conquer the Kingdom of Sican, north of Chan Chan.

ca. A.D. 950: A priest in the city of Chan Chan (the capital city of the Chimu civilization
of Peru) is mixing magic powders for use in the local religious festival and accidentally
discovers gunpowder when the mixture explodes in his face. Fortunately, he was mixing a
very small amount, and the mixture wasn't quite right anyway, so he manages to survive
the explosion. Thinking that this might be a good thing to use in his ceremonies to
overawe the populace, he continues to work with the formula and improve it. He trains
other priests how to make it too.

ca. A.D. 1000: Observations of a storage vessel reacting to another gunpowder accident
lead to the invention of a crude rocket. It begins to dawn on the Chimu that the "Magic
Powder" might have military applications.

A.D. 1100-1300: Knowledge of gunpowder has spread from the Chimu to other area
cultures. Rockets are a standard part of regional militaries, although they are dreadfully
inaccurate and don't cause a lot of damage. Sometime around 1250 A.D., an anonymous
metalworker in what is now northern Chile discovers the formula for bronze, knowledge
of which slowly spreads northward. Also at about this time, a new people, the
Tawantinsuya, have appeared, lead by their semi-legendary ruler (or “Inca,” as he is
called), Manco Capac. They settle at the city of Cuzco, founding the state of
Tawantinsuyu.

A.D. 1300-1400: Bronze begins to be worked in Chan Chan before 1350 A.D.
Knowledge of the formula soon spreads to other cultures in the region. By 1400, the
Chimu Empire extends for some 200 miles to the north and south of Chan Chan. The
Tawantinsuya learn of the Chimu "Magic Powder" and begin adapting it to their own
military.

A.D. 1400-1500: The Tawantinsuya begin to expand from the Cuzco region. In 1460
they conquer Chan Chan, and by 1476 have conquered all of the Kingdom of Chimor.
They find that the Chimu were working on a primitive bronze siege cannon and bronze
hand-cannons, take over the prototypes, and after further development, put them into
production. By the end of the 1400s, a Tawantinsuya inventor has devised a wheeled
artillery carriage (based on the wheeled children's toys found in the region from very early
times), and the Tawantinsuya begin to incorporate field artillery into their armies, pulled
by teams of llama. The Tawantinsuyu Empire continues to expand, reaching it's OTL
limits by 1500.

A.D. 1415-1460--Prince Henry the Navigator of Portugal launches the Age of
Exploration by sponsoring expeditions to discover a new route from Europe to the Orient.

A.D. 1425-1438--Reign of Viracocha Inca, the last semi-legendary ruler of Tawantinsuyu.

A.D. 1438-1471--Reign of Pachacuti Inca, who begins the expansion of the Tawantinsuyu
kingdom out of the Cuzco valley to the south. He also captures the Chimu capital of
Chan Chan in 1460.

A.D. 1471-1493--Reign of Tupac Yupanqui Inca, who conquers the Kingdom of Chimor
by 1476 and extends the Tawantinsuyu Empire along the coast southward into Chile. The
last Chimu King, Minchancaman, is taken to Cuzco, where he lives as a “guest” of the
Tawantinsuya Inca.

A.D. 1479--Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castille marry, uniting their
kingdoms. Spain is born. They shortly afterward, with the approval of Pope Sixtus IV,
begin the Spanish Inquisition.

A.D. 1492--Christopher Columbus, sailing in the pay of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain,
makes landfall on the island of Hispaniola, in the West Indies. On October 29, he also
lands in Cuba.

A.D. 1493-1528--Reign of the Wayna Capac Inca, who extends the Tawantinsuyu Empire
northward into the regions that in OTL would become Ecuador and Colombia.

A.D. 1494--Treaty of Tordesillas divides the New World between Spain and Portugal.

A.D. 1497-1498--John Cabot, in the pay of King Henry VII of England, explores the
coast of North America in the neighborhood of Newfoundland.

A.D. 1498--Columbus discovers the coastline of South America.

A.D. 1499--Amerigo Vespucci, sailing in the pay of Spain, explores the mouths of the
Amazon.

A.D. 1500--Pedro Cabral claims Brazil for Portugal.

A.D. 1500-1501--Portuguese explorer Gaspar Corte-Real explores North America on
behalf of the King of Portugal. His first journey brings him to the coasts of Greenland. In
1501, he disappears without any trace while navigating south along the coast of Labrador.

A.D. 1504--First documented sojourns of Breton fishermen on the banks of
Newfoundland.

A.D. 1507--A German cartographer makes a map in which he names the New World
“America,” after Amerigo Vespucci.

A.D. 1508--The French adventurer Thomas Aubert captures seven local Natives from
Newfoundland, with whom he returns to France. Ponce de Leon establishes the first
Spanish settlement on Puerto Rico.

A.D. 1509--Francisco Pizzaro leaves Spain for the New World.

A.D. 1510--The Spanish introduce the first African slaves into the New World.

A.D. 1511--Diego Columbus, son of Christopher, founds the first permanent Spanish
settlements in Cuba. He defeats the local natives when they rebel later that same year.
Spain will rule in Cuba for the almost the next 500 years.

A.D. 1512--Vasco de Balboa explores the region which will be come known as Panama,
and discovers the Pacific Ocean. Among the men in his expedition is a young man
named Francisco Pizzaro.

A.D. 1513--Ponce de Leon makes the first Spanish landfall in North America, when he
lands in Florida. He explores the peninsula while searching for the “Fountain of Youth.”

A.D. 1516--Charles V becomes Emperor of Austria and King of Spain (where he reigns
as Charles I). Charles will spend most of his reign fighting wars against the Ottoman
Turks and King Francis I of France, as well as in suppressing the Protestant Reformation.

A.D. 1515 onward--Spanish settlement of Argentina meets strong resistance from the
natives. The area will never be firmly under Spanish control.

A.D. 1517--Martin Luther nails the 95 Theses to the door of the cathedral in Wittenburg,
Saxony. Beginning of the Protestant Reformation.

A.D. 1519-1521--Hernando Cortez conquers the Aztec Empire in Mexico.

A.D. 1519--Ferdinand Magellan sails around Cape Horn, through the straits which will
later bear his name. Charles V elected Holy Roman Emperor.

A.D. 1520--The first large group of African slaves in the New World are brought to
Cuba, where they are put to work in the gold mines. Also in this year, Portuguese
navigator Joao Alvares Fagundes explores the coasts of Newfoundland, where he plans to
establish a colony.

A.D. 1521--Charles V issues the Edict of Worms, which outlaws Martin Luther and
declares his teachings to be heresy. Luther goes into hiding. The Ottoman Turks capture
Belgrade. Also in this year, a few Portuguese families settle around Cape Breton
(Canada), but the colony does not survive. Their fate remains unknown to this day.

A.D. 1522--The first Spanish settlement in South America, Nueva Cadiz, is founded in
the region known in OTL as Venezuela. Spanish settlers will mine gold...first with Native
American slaves, then with African slaves...and raise cattle on the grassy plains. Few
Spaniards come to the colony.

A.D. 1522-1524--First expedition of Francisco Pizzaro. In 1522 the accounts of the
achievements of Hernando Cortez, and the return of Pascual de Andagoya from his
expedition to the southern part of Panama, bringing news of the countries situated along
the shore of the ocean to the south, fires Francisco Pizzaro with enthusiasm. With the
approbation of Governor Pedrarias Davila of Panama, he forms, together with Diego de
Almagro, a soldier of fortune who was at that time in Panama, and Hernando de Luque, a
Spanish cleric, a company to conquer the lands situated to the south of Panama. Their
project seems so utterly unattainable that the people of Panama call them the "company of
lunatics". Having collected the necessary funds Pizarro places himself at the head of the
expedition; Almagro is entrusted with the equipping and provisioning of the ships; and
Luque is to remain behind to look after their mutual interests and to keep in Pedrarias's
favour so that he might continue to support the enterprise. In November, 1524, Pizarro
sets sail from Panama with a party of one hundred and fourteen volunteers and four
horses, with Almagro to follow him in a smaller ship just as soon as it can be made ready.
The result of this first expedition is disheartening. Pizarro gets no further than Punta
Quemada, on the coast of what is now Colombia, and having lost many of his men he
returns to Chicamá, a short distance from Panama. Meanwhile Almagro follows him,
going as far as the Rio de San Juan (Cauca, Colombia), and, not finding him, returns to
rejoin him at Chicamá.

A.D. 1524--Pedro de Alvarado conquers Guatemala. Also in this year, on behalf of King
Francis I of France, Italian explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano sails to what is today North
Carolina. He explores the shoreline of North America north to Newfoundland. He names
the entire territory “Francesca,” and the name “Nova Gallia” appears on a map drawn by
his brother Girolamo.

A.D. 1525--The Peasant’s Revolt in Germany is brutally suppressed. Many of the
peasants claimed loyalty to the new religious doctrines espoused by Martin Luther, which
hardens the attitudes of Emperor Charles V against Luther and his teachings.

A.D. 1526--Pizarro's Second Expedition: This expedition is much larger, with 160 men
and several horses carried in two ships. After some initial probing, Pizarro's expedition
splits, with Bartolome Ruiz, the pilot, taking half the command. While sailing off the
coast of what is now Ecuador, Ruiz makes first contact with the Tawantinsuya. Aboard a
balsa trading raft with a huge triangular cotton sail are 20 Tawantinsuya crew and
passengers. The Spanish board the vessel and, to their delight, see many pieces of silver
and gold, precious stones and intricately woven fabrics. Ruiz kept three of the
Tawantinsuya to be trained as interpreters. Through sign language, the captives told him
that their gold came from a land far to the south, a land of wonders. When Ruiz rejoins
Pizzaro, he finds him encamped on a swampy island off the coast of Colombia, his
command decimated by disease and mutiny in the air. Although Pizzaro is greatly
heartened by the news Ruiz brings, he orders the abandonment of the expedition. Also in
this year, the Ottoman Turks defeat the Hungarian army at the Battle of Mohacs.

A.D. 1527--The rulers of Sweden adopt Lutheranism, making Sweden the world’s first
Protestant nation. Other rulers, primarily German princelings who seek to undermine the
power of the House of Habsburg (family of Emperor Charles V), will adopt Lutheranism
shortly afterward.

A.D. 1528--Third expedition of Francisco Pizzaro. The expedition explores the coast of
South America to a point south of the Equator, but the outbreak of disease among the
explorers forces them to abandon the expedition and return to Panama. During this
expedition a brief landfall is made at the Tawantinsuya settlement of Tumbez, and it is
from this small contact that smallpox is released into the Tawantinsuyu Empire. It will
spread rapidly, killing many thousands of victims over the next two years. The Governor
of Panama having withdrawn his support for future expeditions southward by Pizzaro,
Pizzaro sets sail for Spain, where he meets with Emperor Charles V.

1528 onward--The smallpox outbreak of 1528-1530 which kills Wayna Capac Inca is just
the first of several over the course of the rest of this century. In addition to smallpox, Old
World Diseases like measles and malaria will also make their appearance in the empire.
As a result, the overall population of the Tawantinsuyu Empire, which stood at nearly
twelve million at the arrival of the Europeans in 1528, will fall to less than five million
within the next two decades. But, as immunity to the diseases gradually takes hold in the
population, the population will rebound and by the end of the century will stand at over
seven million and growing rapidly.

A.D. 1528-1532--Civil War in the Tawantinsuyu Empire. At the arrival of the strange
white-skinned visitors from the sea, the Tawantinsuya governor at Tumbez sent his
runners with all speed to the Inca, Wayna Capac, who was near Quito resting after battle.
The Inca, weighing up the potential consequences of these foreign invaders, and also the
sinister news of the outbreak of pestilence in the heart of his empire, decides to come to
Tumbez to investigate. But he gets only a short way south when the disease strikes his
camp. The incubation period of smallpox is only a few days and, in no time, it sweeps
through the army. Many of his trusted generals die, and then the Inca himself catches it.
As Wayna Capac's health rapidly worsens, he is asked to name a successor to be ratified
by his council of wise men. The two contenders are his 25-year-old son Atahuallpa and
his 21-year-old brother Huascar--Wayna Capac’s son by a different queen. Wayna’s
solution is to divide the empire between the two sons, but neither Atahualpa nor Huascar
is willing to accept such a division permanently. Both sons begin building their forces,
and within a short time, the empire is plunged into a bloody civil war. Atahualpa will
eventually emerge victorious, decisively defeating Huascar’s army in late 1532 and
capturing Huascar himself. However, Atahualpa does not execute his brother, and
Huascar’s supporters do not immediately give up. Rebellion continues to simmer in the
empire while Huascar lives.

A.D. 1529--Emperor Charles V signs an agreement which confers upon Pizzaro the titles
of Governor and Captain General, and grants him authority to make new expeditions into
the newly discovered lands to the south of Panama. Pizzaro is to have absolute
authority...in the name of Emperor Charles V, of course...in all lands he might conquer
and subjugate. Also in this year, the Ottoman Turks lay siege to Vienna.

A.D. 1530--Francisco Pizzaro returns to Panama with his new authority, and begins
raising troops, ships, and money for his expedition. Also in this year, Protestant Princes
in Germany form the Schmalkaldic League. Emperor Charles V, not wishing to push the
League into the arms of his enemy, King Francis I of France, grants de facto recognition
to the League...at least for now. Also in this year, King John of Portugal introduces a
program of systematic colonization of the newly acquired territories in Brazil. As a first
step the king divides Brazil into 15 districts, or captaincies, and grants each of the
districts, in perpetuity, to a person prominent at the Portuguese court. The grantees,
known as donatarios, are vested with extraordinary powers over their domains.
However, immigration into Brazil is slow.

A.D. 1531--Fourth Expedition of Francisco Pizzaro. In January 1531, Francisco Pizzaro
sets sail with 3 ships, 180 infantrymen, and 27 cavalrymen. Pizarro lands at Tumbez
once again, but is attacked by the local natives. He retreats to the island of Puna to await
reinforcements.

A.D. 1532--In the spring of 1532, Pizzaro’s expedition is reinforced by a further 100 men
and more horses under Hernando de Soto. In May 1532, Pizzaro lands again at Tumbez
and proceeds to march into Peru. Along their march the Spaniards encounter many
villages and are generally made welcome in them. While on the march, Pizarro takes
note the lack of adult males in residence in the villages, which, he discovers, is due to the
fact that Atahualpa Inca had called them for his army. Through several inquiries, Pizarro
learns of the civil war between Atahualpa Inca and his brother, Huascar. He also learns
of the present whereabouts of Atahaulpa Inca, who was said to be in Caxamalca. Pizarro
proceeds to march in that direction. On the long march from Tumbez to Caxamalca,
Pizzaro learns of the victory of Atahualpa Inca and the capture of Huascar, and he and his
men begin recruiting Tawantinsuyu soldiers loyal to Huáscar and also some from the
nations that the Tawantinsuyu had conquered and that held an animosity toward the
empire. However, upon finally reaching Caxamalca in November 1532, the Spaniards
find the town deserted, but they learn that Atahualpa and his main army are nearby. On
November 15, Pizzaro sends an emissary to Atahualpa, who agrees to come to meet with
Pizzaro at Caxamalca. Atahualpa arrives the next day, accompanied by a large body of
soldiers...infantry armed with bronze spears, axes, and maces, a force of slingers, a force
armed with bronze hand-cannon, and 2 bronze artillery pieces. The Spaniards
treacherously attempt to ambush Atahualpa’s party and seize Atahualpa himself, and the
natives are temporarily discomfited by the charge of the Spanish cavalry, but then
Atahualpa’s two field cannon and the hand-cannoneers open fire, dropping about half the
Spanish cavalry before they can reach the Tawantinsuya lines and scattering the rest in
disorder. The other Tawantinsuya soldiers take heart, and charge the white-skinned
invaders. Pizzaro is killed in the melee, along with about half of his men. The other half
are taken prisoner. The Tawantinsuya take control of the surviving horses, as well as the
Spanish arms and armor. They shortly begin breeding horses, and, trained by their
Spanish prisoners...who, having watched a few of their number horribly tortured to death,
are more than willing to cooperate...learn to ride. They also capture the expedition
blacksmith, who begins to show them the rudiments of iron-working and smelting.

A.D. 1532-1533--King Henry VIII of England breaks with the Roman Catholic Church
and establishes the Church of England. Beginning of the English Reformation.

A.D. 1533--Diego de Almagro, leading reinforcements for Pizzaro, lands at Tumbez. He
advances inland, but is met north of Tumbez by a Tawantinsuya army, and his force
meets the same fate as Pizzaro’s. Almagro is killed, about half of his men and most of
their horses are captured. Yet more Spanish “technical advisors” are unwillingly added to
the service of the Inca. It is from this group that Atahualpa learns of the contents of the
Treaty of Tordesillas, and realizes that he has a MAJOR problem. Shortly afterward,
Atahualpa has his brother, Huascar, put to death. Lacking a leader, the remaining rebel
forces gradually disperse, and order is restored to the empire. Atahualpa begins preparing
the empire’s defenses for the confrontation with the Spanish imperialists which he knows
is going to occur, sooner or later. Also in this year, the first recorded uprising of African
slaves in the New World takes place in Cuba. The slaves are defeated and killed, and their
heads brought back to Bayamo to quiet the alarmed colonists.

A.D. 1534--The disappearance of the expeditions of Francisco Pizzaro and Diego de
Almagro leads the Governor of Guatemala, Pedro de Alvarado, to believe that Pizzaro
and Almagro have conquered the rich lands rumored to be to the south and are hoarding
their wealth for their own. Alvarado leads a well-equipped expedition of 1,000 Spanish
soldiers (including over 200 cavalry) southward. He lands on the Ecuadorian coast and
advances toward Quito. Runners bring this news to Atahualpa Inca, who immediately
leads his main army northward from Cuzco. The Tawantinsuya army of 40,000 meets
Alvarado’s force near Quito, and in a bloody and hard-fought battle, the Spanish force is
defeated and routed. The Tawantinsuya pursue, and only a few Spaniards make it back to
the coast, where they escape aboard one of their ships. The remainder of the ships are
captured by the Tawantinsuya. About 1/4 of the Spanish force (including Alvarado
himself) are taken prisoner...including more blacksmiths...and most of the horses are
captured, along with all the Spanish arms, armor, and other equipment. A cadre of
Spanish sailors is also captured, which teach the Tawantinsuya the rudiments of sailing
the captured Spanish ships, and also serve as “technical advisors” for the construction of
additional vessels. It is thus that the Tawantinsuya Navy is born. The Spanish armor and
other equipment is used to equip an elite regiment in the Tawantinsuya army which forms
the Inca’s personal bodyguard. Alvarado is sacrificed to Inti, the Tawantinsuya sun god,
later that year.

A.D. 1534-1560--The survivors of the Alvarado expedition arrive back in Guatemala in
late 1534. They bring terrifying tales of a powerful and well-armed empire to the south.
Short of manpower, and with English and French “pirates” beginning to encroach on their
domains, Spanish leaders in the colonies decide to give the Tawantinsuya a wide berth, at
least for now. There will be a few clashes between Spanish and Tawantinsuya warships
off the Pacific coast of the Tawantinsuya Empire, but little more will happen during this
time period.

A.D. 1534-1536--Jacques Cartier explores the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the St. Lawrence
River as far as present day Quebec and Montreal. He claims the region for France, and
establishes a settlement at Montreal, which does not, however, survive (the site will be
resettled at a later date).

A.D. 1535--The Spanish establish the colony of New Spain in Mexico.

A.D. 1536--Denmark adopts Lutheranism. Also in this year, Richard Hore sails from
England accompanied by some enthusiastic Englishmen who are enthralled at the idea of
exploring the coasts of North America as "tourists". It is largely because of these
individuals that the English become interested in establishing a colony on this continent.

A.D. 1538--Norway adopts Lutheranism. Colombia is conquered for Spain by Gonzalo
Jimenez de Quesada.

A.D. 1540--Francisco de Coronado strikes north from Mexico and explores much of the
American southwest, claiming the area for Spain.

A.D. 1541--John Calvin establishes the Reformed Church in Geneva.

A.D. 1546-47--The Schmalkaldic War: Emperor Charles V, having made peace at last
with France, gathers an army and declares war on the Schmalkaldic League. His forces
inflict a decisive defeat on the League at the Battle of Muhlburg in 1547. The League is
effectively destroyed, but warfare will continue between Catholics and Protestants in
Germany.

A.D. 1547--King Henry VIII of England dies, and is succeeded by his son, who reigns as
King Edward VI. Edward continues the active royal support of the Reformation begun by
his father.

A.D. 1549--Because of the dangers implicit in the French depredations along the
Brazilian coast, King John revokes most of the powers held by the donatarios and places
Brazil under the rule of a governor-general. The first governor-general, Thomé de Souza,
arrives in Brazil in 1549, organizes a central government, with the newly founded city of
Salvador, or Bahia, as his capital, institutes comprehensive administrative and judicial
reforms, and established a coastal defense system. Large numbers of slaves are brought
into the region from Africa to overcome the shortage of laborers.

A.D. 1553--King Edward VI of England dies. He is succeeded by his older sister, Mary.
Mary is the daughter of Catherine of Aragon, whose divorce from King Henry VIII
precipitated the English Reformation. She is a stauch Catholic, and will spend her reign
ruthlessly suppressing Protestantism within her Kingdom.

A.D. 1554--Queen Mary of England marries Prince Philip of Spain, son of Emperor
Charles V. They produce no children, however. Sao Paulo, in the south of Brazil, is
founded by Portugal.

A.D. 1555--The French found a colony on Rio de Janeiro Bay. Emperor Charles V signs
the Peace of Ausburg, which recognizes the right of individual German states to choose
whether they shall be Protestant or Catholic.

A.D. 1556--Emperor Charles V abdicates his throne. The Spanish Empire, including the
Netherlands and all territories in the New World, go to Prince Philip, who reigns as King
Philip II. The Austrian Empire, and the claim to the title of Holy Roman Emperor, go to
Ferdinand, brother of the outgoing Emperor.

A.D. 1557--Death of Atahualpa Inca. He dies childless and is succeeded by his
half-brother, who reigns as Manco Capac II, Inca of the Tawantinsuyu Empire.

A.D. 1558--Queen Mary of England dies, and is succeeded by her Protestant sister,
Elizabeth. Under the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Protestantism is restored, English power
and influence will grow, and England will become a constant thorn in the side of the King
of Spain.

A.D. 1559--Tristan de Luna y Arellano leads an attempt by Spaniards to colonize Florida.
He establishes a settlement at Pensacola Bay, but a series of misfortunes causes his efforts
to be abandoned after two years.

A.D. 1560--Portugal destroys the French colony on Rio de Janeiro Bay.

A.D. 1560-1566--War between Spain and the Tawantinsuyu Empire: Upon his accession
to the throne, King Philip II of Spain decides that the pagans of Tawantinsuyu, whose
increasingly formidable navy is causing problems for Spanish shipping along the South
American coast, must be brought to heel. He orders a fleet to be fitted out, which is to
transport a professional army of 20,000 men to Mexico. From there, the army will be
transported from a port on Mexico’s west coast to the coast of the Tawantinsuyu Empire.
The fleet sets sail in 1560, arriving in Mexico later that year. By 1561, enough shipping
has been accumulated on Mexico’s west coast to transport the army to Peru (of course, by
this time, the army has been much reduced by disease, shipwrecks, etc.). In early 1562,
the Spanish force, now numbering about 15,000 men, lands near Tumbez. Runners
quickly inform the Inca Manco Capac II of this development, and the Inca orders
mobilization of the imperial army. The Tawantinsuya army...which, despite the ravages
of disease over the past few decades, still quickly musters over 50,000 men to meet the
invaders...meets the Spanish near Chan Chan in August, 1562. In a very sanguine
struggle, the heavily outnumbered Spaniards are defeated. They are pursued as they flee
to their ships, and fewer than 2,000 manage to escape. The war will drag on for another
four years, mainly in the form of individual encounters at sea between Spanish and
Tawantinsuyu warships. But in 1566 King Philip, who had been planning to send a
second expedition, under the Duke of Alva, to South America, faces the outbreak of the
Dutch revolt, and is forced to send his army to the Netherlands instead. So the war
essentially peters out without a peace treaty being signed. Another period of relative
peace settles on the region.

A.D. 1562-1598--The Wars of Religion (Huguenot Wars) in France between Catholics
and Protestants.

A.D. 1563--Death of Manco Capac II, Inca of the Tawantinsuyu Empire. He is succeeded
by his son, who reigns as Sayri Tupac, Inca of the Tawantinsuyu Empire.

A.D. 1562--Frenchman Jean Ribault explores the Florida coast.

A.D. 1564--Frenchman René Goulaine de Laudonnière establishes Fort Caroline at the
mouth of the St. Johns River, near present-day Jacksonville, Florida. Most of the settlers
are Protestant Huguenots.

A.D. 1565--Pedro Menéndez de Avilés is ordered by King Philip II of Spain to remove
the French and create a Spanish settlement in Florida. He arrives at a place he calls San
Augustín (St. Augustine) and establishes what will be the first permanent European
settlement in what will one day be the United States. Later that year he will attack the
French settlement at Fort Caroline, and massacre everyone except some non-combatants
and those who profess the Roman Catholic faith. He renames the captured French
settlement as Fort San Mateo.

A.D. 1566 onward--The Dutch Revolt. In the Spanish Netherlands, Protestantism (in the
form of Calvinism) has been gaining influence. In 1566, Calvinist mobs storm Catholic
churches across the Netherlands and destroy the “heretical” statues of Catholic saints. In
response, King Philip II of Spain orders the Duke of Alva to take an army into the
Netherlands to suppress the “rebellion.” Alva is so brutal in his tactics that within two
years, the Spanish Netherlands are in a state of full-scale war. The Protestants are joined
by Dutch nobles who object to heavy-handed Spanish taxation policies, and merchants
who object to Philip II’s almost constant wars against many of the biggest trading
partners of the Dutch.

A.D. 1567--Portugal founds the city of Rio de Janeiro. Also in this year, Frenchman
Dominique de Gourgues recaptures San Mateo and massacres the Spanish soldiers
stationed there. But Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, returning from Spain, soon leads another
expedition which wipes out the new French incursion, and ends forever French attempts
to colonize Florida.

A.D. 1567 onward--Spain's pattern of constructing forts and Roman Catholic missions is
continued in Florida. Spanish missions are established among native people, a chain of
these soon extending across north Florida and as far north along the Atlantic coast as the
area that we now call South Carolina. From there, European diseases will be introduced
to the native peoples of southeastern North America. The diseases will spread along
native trade routes, with devastating consequences. Under the stress caused by these
epidemics, the Mississippian chiefdoms which dominate much of the area will collapse
within a century, and a great social and political reorganization of the region will begin.

A.D. 1572--St. Bartholmew’s Day Massacre in France. Thousands of Protestants are
murdered in cold blood by rampaging Catholics.

A.D. 1578--Queen Elizabeth having missioned him to occupy the lands that had not yet
been conquered by Spain, Portugal or France, Sir Humphrey Gilbert appropriates
Newfoundland to the Crown of England, as well as a vast territory north and south of the
island. No attempt at immediate colonization is made, however.

A.D. 1578-1581--Englishman Francis Drake, having passed through the Straits of
Magellan and sailed north along the South American coast, encounters a Tawantinsuya
trading vessel. As it happens, some of the Tawantinsuya speak Spanish, and Drake
manages to have a peaceful dialog with the Tawantinsuya crew. He finds out about the
Tawantinsuya defeats of the Spanish Empire, and decides to try to enlist them as allies for
England against Spain. He lands on the Peruvian coast, accompanied by some of the
Tawantinsuya from the trading vessel. He is escorted to the palace of the Inca at Cuzco,
and after a series of discussions, the Inca agrees to send an ambassador to the court of
Queen Elizabeth of England with an offer of alliance. Drake arrives back in England,
with the ambassador, in 1581. Queen Elizabeth is impressed by Drake’s descriptions of
the power and wealth of the Tawantinsuyu Empire, and she signs a treaty of alliance
between England and the Tawantinsuyu Empire. Although this will have little
immediate practical military effect, as the Tawantinsuya are too far away to intervene
effectively in England’s coming wars with Spain, trade between England and the
Tawantinsuya begins, and English ships operating in the Pacific now will be able to use
Tawantinsuya ports as a base of operations against the Spanish.

A.D. 1579--The new Spanish Governor of the Netherlands, the Duke of Parma, prompts
the southern (Walloon) states of the Netherlands to sign the Union of Atrecht, which
pledges loyalty to the Spanish King and rejects Protestantism. In response, William of
Orange, known as “the Silent,” unites the Protestant northern (Dutch) provinces into the
Union of Utrecht.

A.D. 1580--Philip II forcibly unites the crown of Portugal with that of Spain. The Spanish
found the settlement of Buenos Aires on the Rio de la Plata in Argentina.

A.D. 1581 onward--The Trade between England and the Tawantinsuyu Empire has great
impacts on both societies. English domestic animals...cattle and sheep primarily...are
introduced to the Tawantinsuya, as well as crops such as wheat, barley, oats, and others.
In turn, the English import llamas, maize, potatoes, and tomatoes. English-style ale
becomes a popular drink among many in Tawantinsuyu, and Chicha (a maize beer
produced by the Tawantinsuya) makes it’s appearance on English tables alongside Port
Wine from Portugal, England’s other traditional ally. Chewing coca leaves becomes a
fashionable pastime for English gentlemen, ranking right up there with tobacco (another
New World import). And perhaps most importantly of all, the Tawantinsuya learn much
from the English which enables them to dramatically improve their military technology,
especially naval technology. “Race-built” galleons begin to replace the old Spanish style
vessels which currently make up the Tawantinsuya Navy.

A.D. 1581--The Union of Utrecht declares independence from the Spanish Empire. The
United Provinces of the Netherlands is born. King Philip II of Spain sends another army
to put down this revolt.

A.D. 1584--William the Silent is assassinated. Leadership of the Protestant cause in the
Netherlands passes to his son, Maurice of Nassau. Also in this year, Sir Walter Raleigh
establishes the first English colony in the New World, on Roanoke Island.

A.D. 1585--The Treaty of Nonsuch. Queen Elizabeth of England agrees to send an army
to the aid of the beleaguered Dutch rebels. The Earl of Leicester lands in the Netherlands
with 5,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry. The English will continue to fight alongside the
Dutch for the next two decades. This, along with unofficially sanctioned English piratical
activity in the Caribbean and the Pacific, enrages King Philip of Spain, who decides on
war with England.

A.D. 1587--Mary, Queen of Scots, is executed by orders of her cousin, Queen Elizabeth
of England. This further encourages King Philip of Spain to go to war with England.

A.D. 1588-1604--King Philip II of Spain dispatches the first of several Great Armadas
with the purpose of invading England, beginning a sixteen year war between the two
countries.

A.D. 1589--King Henri III of France is assassinated. The heir to the throne is Henri of
Navarre, a Protestant. The new King Henri IV soon finds himself in conflict with the
powerful Catholic League (heavily supported by King Philip II of Spain), which opposes
the idea of a Protestant King of France.

A.D. 1590-1604--Sayri Tupac Inca, honoring his treaty with Queen Elizabeth of England,
declares war on King Philip II of Spain. Tawantinsuya armies invade Colombia and
Argentina, and a series of see-saw campaigns results. With his resources being tied up in
the ongoing struggle with England, Philip II has little to spare for the colonies, and in the
end, the Spaniards are driven from Argentina, and parts of Colombia are conquered as
well. The Tawantinsuyu incorporate the conquered areas into their empire. When the
peace treaty between England and Spain is signed at London in 1604, representatives of
the Tawantinsuyu Empire will also be present and will sign, ending their own war with
Spain.

A.D. 1591--An English relief expedition to the colony on Roanoke Island, which had
been delayed by the outbreak of war with Spain, finds the settlement deserted. Noone
ever discovers what became of the colonists.

A.D. 1593--Henri IV of France (formerly Henri of Navarre, a Protestant who is head of
the House of Bourbon), converts to Catholicism, declaring that “Paris is worth a Mass.”
Over the next few years, this clever political move will cut the support for his enemies
and enable him to finally end the Wars of Religion in France. He enters Paris without
firing a shot the next year, and by 1598, the war will be over.

A.D. 1597--Death of Sayri Tupac Inca. He is succeeded by his half brother, Tupac
Amaru Inca.

A.D. 1598--The Edict of Nantes, issued by King Henri IV, grants religious toleration to
Protestants in France. End of the Wars of Religion in France. Also in this year, King
Henri IV of France names Troilus de La Roche de Mesgouez "Lieutenant-general of the
countries of Canada, Newfoundland, Labrador and Norembègue". Between 1598 and
1603, a few dozen men and women are transported and established on Sable island, a part
of what today is Nova Scotia. The endeavour of the Marquis de La Roche is the second
attempt to colonize Canada, and like the earlier attempt of Jacques Cartier, will fail. Also
in this year, King Philip II of Spain dies, and is succeeded by his son, who reigns as King
Philip III. Philip III continues his father’s war against England and the Tawantinsuya.
Also in this year, the Tawantinsuya capture Buenos Aires, ending Spanish occupation of
what in OTL would be Argentina. The Tawantinsuya decide not to destroy the town, as it
provides them with a ready-made port on the Atlantic, giving them better access to trade
with their English allies. Over the next decade a road linking the port to the main part of
the Tawantinsuyu Empire will be built, and the port itself will be heavily fortified.

A.D. 1600--The East India Company, a joint venture between the English and the
Tawantinsuya, is formed. The purpose of the company is to help break the Dutch
monopoly on the spice trade with the East Indies. The British partners hope to use
Tawantinsuyu’s position on the Pacific as a base for voyages to the Spice Islands, China,
and India.