The Growing Mouse: A Collaborative TL

Samsara123

Banned
Yeah leopold good luck disarming all those rebel groups, is he deluded enough to think assaulting people and doing intimidation is gonna work?

(Note - I'm having no luck finding out how fast the prince would get there , I can't zoom in close enough with my vision to see a map of how to get to places in the British Empire in 1914 which might have let me approximate it. Someone else can put a date on it with their next post.)

Early 1873: Prince PHilippe, the Count of Flanders arrives in Manila to a warm welcome from the Belgian Governor-General. He is puzzled by the blank stares and angry growls from some of the people when he calls them "Brothers from the Spanish Crown, now governed by the old Spanish Netherlands."

The Governor-General explains that there were already rebels in the colony who wished to throw off the Spanish yoke - Philippe then decides to switch gears from the suggestion that Leopold II had given him. It clearly wouldn't work, given their attitude toward the Spanish.

It should be noted that, unlike what the British comedy creators would later show, the result was *not* a Blackadder-esque Belgian prince saying the following with growing hisses from the crowd: "We have a great history of rebelling against Spain, too! The Dutch fought an 80-year war of Independence against the Spanish, and then after the Spanish Netherlands became the Austrian and was absorbed into the actual Netherlands, we Belgians won a successful war of independence and..." He looks at the crowd, which looks ready to stone him and begin a revolution right then and there, with someone already raising animage of him in effigy. "oh... wait. That probably wasn't a good pep talk for our side."

However, Prince Philippe did send a message to Leopold II that there was unrest in the Philippines, and he and his wife would be staying a while to mend fences and see what could be done to, in his words, "bring these highly educated people over to our side." He laid out a distinction between the educated of Manila and other places and the rebels in someof the smaller islands, noting the incredible number of islands that there were.

Leopold promised to send some of the force he had been raising to help, with orders from Leopold to "crush any resistance." Philippe didn't know if that was a good idea or not, but felt like he might end up playing defense against the king's actions.

Samsara123

Banned
God now I’m imagining how stupidly expensive its gonna be to even come close to organising and provisioning and small convoy to transport even a thousand men to start policing the country

God now I’m imagining how stupidly expensive its gonna be to even come close to organising and provisioning and small convoy to transport even a thousand men to start policing the country
Wait till Prince Philippe get sick and they can't conceive at the time when Albert was born in OTL, and then his son dies on schedule in about 1891 and Leopold II has no male heir after Philippe, with both mens' wives now too old to have kids.

Mar., 1873: minor arguments break out late in the year between some of the Catholics in one of the settlements in Alaska and the Protestant former Southerners. It is suggested that the southerners find their own colony, and comparisons are made to the 13 colonies and how some were formed when the founders were kicked out of other colonies.

Dixon senior and others will soon found new Charleston, inviting any other southerners who want to come. As the Panic of 1873 worsens, and some get more tired of Reconstruction, Northerners will attempt to encourage even more Southerners to leave for Alaska, which Dixon has promised will be whites only. One of the leading radicals in Congress is reported to have joked, "If they want that ice box they can have it."

Samsara123

Banned
I have to say leopold seems to have jump the gun in terms of his colonial ambitions he stretched his arm too far and now its about to be cut off by a people that won’t take becoming a colony all over again and just about managed to kick out their spanish overlords years of experience fighting a guerrilla war against spain even more terrible if Japan with their growing pan asian identity movement growing might be emboldened to jump in to assist as helping the Philippines will
be worth sinking a few barely armed Belgium transports, Belgium literally does not have the necessary fleet to fight against an asian power in their home turf, it is not britain or france

Last edited:
Mar., 1873: Johann II still chooses not to even bvisit Litrchtenstein - as he will throughout his reign. However, hearing the stories of aeautiful snow-capped mountains, towns where the sun tryly never sets in the summer, and so on. the patron of the arts makes plans to have paintings made of various things in Lichtenstein's colony of Alaska. While most of the major painters of the time were happiest in their own countries, especially France, Cezanne would consider it since older critics often disliked his work. However, given the distance, it was only a few lesser known Austrian artists who would consider it.

However, in 1885, a young man named Theo had been helping to support his brother by encouraging the man - who had bounts of depression - to take up painting. He heard of the bright, vivid scenes in Alaska and - while complaining that his brother's drawings of peasant life were "too dark and dreary" for dealers - offered to book him passage if he wanted. he suggested that the man could paint still life and nature scenes while en route and then take up residence in Alaska if he took the prince's offer. And, secertly, Theo knew the captain of the ship would ensure his brother's health was looked after and he ate well on the long voyage.

He would. And the trip would be credited with greatly increasing the brightness of his work, and the glowing colors that would radiate from it at times.

Last edited:
By the way, I'll be busy for the next couple days but I don't know how many others are going to be in on this, I know it goes slow right now. If everyone else bails before 1876, or if you want me to lead and others follow, I have some things I can do based on a timeline in a week idea I had come and it can still be collaborative from there. Just let me know.

By the way, I'll be busy for the next couple days but I don't know how many others are going to be in on this, I know it goes slow right now. If everyone else bails before 1876, or if you want me to lead and others follow, I have some things I can do based on a timeline in a week idea I had come and it can still be collaborative from there. Just let me know.
When the gold rush would happen? that might have an unique effect on our mouse

Early 1873: Chilcoot and White Pass aren't yet opened up in Alaska, but the Catholicc (and come Protestant) Austrian refugees, in search of riches, begin to explore these area, and the passes will open up over the next decade.

Southerners, meanwhile, begin founding small downs and exploring the Aleutians; they are not interested in the doing the "dirty work" of going into the into the interior and instead opt to consider these things "menial work" that is "more befitting the poor, not the cultured."

There are, of course, poor Southerners who have made the trek to Alaska, too; a few of them will be cometing with the Austrian refugees in a couple decades. HOwever, for the most part, because of their Protestant nature and the mmense size of Alaska, Southerners decide it's best to found their own colonies, continuing to espouse the principle that "Alaska is, in essence, a model of the original 13 Colonies. You have teh Catholics representing Maryland anbd the MIddle Colonies, the original Russian settlers representing the NOrth, and we representing the South," one Southerner puts it at the time. "THe beauty," they say, "is that Lichtenstein is willing to leave us alone and siply gain some meager profit out of the fishing and hunting and trapping."

Indeed, when gold is discovered in a couple decades, it will be those who have discovered and become rich off of it who will be much more desirous of ensuring they have representation in Lichtenstein's Parliament than the southerners, who simply wish to be left alone. And the prospectors, in some cases, will simply want to get rich and leave.; others will stay, though, and it will be a very unusual mixture of people who will inhabit Alaska.

For now, however, gold remains undiscovered and will be for a number of years longer.

Interview with a young man who went to the U.S. Virgin Islands - taped Jan. 1930, part of a series of interviews w/people 75 and older and placed on Youtube in 2015:

"I was one of them people, I turned 18 and I wanted to see what it was like..inthis new territory we'd bought. I was from Kentucky, and I fought for the Union - I thought there had to be a way to get along and some of my cousins, well they were downright nasty about it... they fought for the South....

"We was just startin' to mend fences when our country went and bought them Virgin Islands - first the biggest, then all of 'em over the next couple years. Some NOrtherners, they didn't mind it, but hooooeeee, they some of my cousins in Kentucky stir up a fuss. They said... it was too many new black people comin' in. I swear that's what killed the deal later when we thought about bringing Santo Domingo in a few years later. Anyway, they... swore they was gonna try twice as hard to make sure a Democrat got elected in 1876....

"Now this here Roscoe Conkling, he was a friend of General Grant's, and he'd had an affair of some sort. It was just about this time, spring of '73, that I was comin' home from my tour in our new Virgin Islands, I made port in Charlestonand as I wentnorth and then west, home to Kentucky, there was... rumors that some Southerners were gonna try to shame Conkling withhis womanizing, make thigns even worse for the Administration. Well, that's apparently when he began a reported affair with Mrs. Sprague, wife of Senator Sprague. A fellow Senator!..."

Samuel J. Tilden - Omnipedia

"...Tilden's popularity continued to rise even as Boss Tweed's 1873 trial in January ended... and a 2nd trial was needed. In November, Tweed would be convicted, and Tilden's popularity in stopping corruption would lead him to... a victory over James G. Blaine in the 1876 election, as he won Ohio by a slim margin, thus preventing the Republicans from trying to challenge election results in the South....

"...Tilden is ultimately remembered as the last good Democratic President, though he wans't all that poular during his term becasue of the troops sent to break up a strike in 1877, which drove a wedge between Democrats and Labor.... He believed in a one-term limit, and some wonder what would have happened had he run again in 1880, but his health was already failing..."

(Note - I'm not going to do a lot of these, I don't have a lot of time. However, I do have an overall plan to keep Bryan with the Populists and keep the GOP and Populists workign together, especially in North Carolina.)

THE GREAT ALASKAN MELTING POT OF 1876
Seen in an unknown political magazine.

"When Alaska was first bought by the tiny mouse named Liechtenstein, people would think that Johann's Folly had seeped within the world. But many things have change.
With Belgium buying the Philippines, and the U
S. of A gaining new land, Alaska is the unknown miracle everyone's talking about.

But what is more surprising are the number of people that make up the Great North, and here they are!

1. The original Russians, who had the land for years.
2. Austro-Hungarians, to fill up the colony
3. People of the U.S.A., a mix of Southerners, Catholics, and Union Boys.

Yes, this land has proven to be a promised land for many, and it might ring true 100 years in the future."

A letter from Woodrow Wilson to a friend, June, 1875

"I wanted to go to Princeton, but when my request was delayed, thanks to some upheaval in the South with people - even postmasters - rushing to Alaska, I decided they didn't want me. And that's okay, I got just as good an education and in fact someday I could turn an institution into the "Princeton of the South," perhaps. Washington University is becoming more well known now that it was Washington & Lee, for instance, and I hope to teach there eventually....

...I thought about going to Alaska, yes, but like you I felt it wasn't for me. I am, however, beginning to consider that self-determination for Europeans, such as those in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, might prevent there from being so many refugees from there. I consider that they must be desperate if they are willing to go half-way around the world...

"...Yes, I, too, like Tilden. I feel he would be a finePresident. I am almost willing to suspend my belief in a single term for the presidency because of men like him, but even he believes the President should only serve a single term. I am very hopeful for the 1876 election...."

From the book "Careful What You Wish For (You Might Just Get it) - The Rise and Fall of the Democratic Party" - by John Smith, published 1976

"Democrats were beginning to get excited about Tilden - in fact, he would draw more excitement than anyone since jackson in their convention the next year. He had fought corruption, and he was from New York, a state the Democrats had to have to win the White House....

"...What Tilden didn't bank on was the number of Democrats who would be against reforming the Civil Service because now, they were in power and could push their own agenda. That, combined with the violence of the Great Railroad Strike of 1877 haunted the Democrats and, as this book will show, drove many laborers to groups like the greenbacks and the Poulists, which the GOP would then bargain with... Of course, the democrats did have their one last victory in 1892, butthat just made it worse..."

Aug. 1874- LeopoldII reads the telegraph message and grins. The Count of Flanders, Prince PHillippe, has finally recovered from his fever.

Leopold didn't realy care what kind of fever it was - he'd heard about so many. Dengue fever, yellow fever, malaria, you name it. All these fevers were the same to him. Just wait for it to break, that was all. The man's wife had been sick, too, but hey, he was an owner of a great colony in the PHilippines, and from what the count's letters had said, he only had to pour a few hundred more of his soldiers into the place, and all might be well.

Okay, maybe that was ont he big island, but what did he care about some of those remote little islands. Prince PHilippe was doing a god job of representing him. Sure, he and his wife had been sick, and doctors said that they not only hadnt been conceiving any new princes over the last few months, they wouldn't be over the next month or so till they fully recovered. But, Leopold II didn't care. he had a healthy heir whom he was training back here in Belgium.

Healthy, for now, anyway.

-----------------------

Prince Philippe was alarmed. The king was sending *more* men?

Did Leopold II not take his telegrams seriously? He thought he had a small chance of *maybe* convincing the locals to split the nation in two, and let the rebels int he south go free, but Leopold II had read that to mean that the North was int he clear - and who knew how those troops he was sending would be asked to respond.

Probably with the same brute force the others were using in trying to hunt down rebels.

Oh, it was working in Cuba, where the Spanish were kind of getting the upper hand, but even there it would take 4 more years, maybe 5. IfLeopold II didn't end this madness somehow PrincePhilippe might not be trusted anymore; he barely was there as it is, though his attempt to rule as a regent fr the kind was only meeting with middling succes - and making the governow sent to rule himself quite irate. But, Philippe had to play defense against Leopold. And, Leopold didn't seem t know it.

Last edited:
One more since I have time. It sets the stage for what I see happening in the Philippines - Leopold's more direct rule since Philippse couldn't "stop the rebels" and his crackdown. I won't have time to post tomorrow, but others may have a few ideas for the mid-1870s, also.

Excerpts from "A Fool and His Colony," Simon and Schuster Publishing, 1952

April, 1875 - He might have been celebrating a royal birth. Instead, Prince Philippe of Belgium was becoming increasing distressed.

Then, he opened the latest telegram from Leopold II. He did what in modern terms would be called a facepalm., then turned to his wife. "Well, at least we will be done with this wretched place. I have seen myself hung in effigy so much, I begin to worry they will one day do the real thing."

"Don't worry, Dear," she told him. "They hang the governor-general twice as much."

I was true. He had, at least made some friends in Manila and created some form of decent autonomy for a segment of people who might have risen to lead as some sort of Dominion, perhaps like the British were doing with Canada, in a decade or so.

Yet, his attempts to tread lightly upon the Filipinos - attempts which might not have won anyway - were often countermanded from back home in Belgium by Leopold II. He had tried to reason with the people, act as if he were the real ruler. And, the educated in the PHilippines, at least, had grown to, well, not necessarily like, but feel comfortable with him. It was mostly those in the Southern islands, like Mindanao, who were hanging him in effigy because he had dared to banish them.

His plan had been crafty, and might have worked, though there was no guaranteee: Get all those who disapproved of him into the South and then work thoward their freedom. He had to take baby steps toward this, for fear of angering his brother Leopold, but in some small ways it had been working. And, a saner, less greedy man might have accepted the idea that "half a colony is better than noe."

But, noooo. Leopold II had maintained that, with only around 2,000 of the islands of the Philippines inhabited, there were lenty of uninhabited oens which would have been, in Leopold's words, 'perfect for putting them on to starve them.' He had also claimed that Philippe's ideas of restraint and of accepting local autonomy in some things were "not what I had mind when I bought this colony."In other words, he wanted to siphon every bit of money he could from the place so he could then buy even more colonies.

Philippe shook his head. "That will never happen," he told himself. And, it was true. With this edict, Philippe knew he had two choices.

He coudl declarea revolution. He *might* be able to win; but the problem was, what then? Would he only be ruling over a few islands? Or at all? And, would they really wi? The Belgian navy was small, but they could put a hurt on the Filipinos, and if he himself was captured, he would be executed just like what the governor general was ordering with a lot of people, as per Leopold's orders.

His other was to give up. He could leave and just wash his hands of everything. His oldest son would be six once he returned, and Philippe could teach him about leadership and dealing with others in ways Leopold II never could. Yes, Philippe knew he was needed back there. Right now, he felt like he had aged 10 years in the three he'd been there, trying to put out all the diplomatic fires. He might not live to be king, which meant his son would no doubt rule, in his mind, as he certainly couldn't foresee Baudouin's death in 1891.

he could rebel, but the more he thought about it, it wasn't worth it. Even with foreign help, he had about a one in four chance, if that, of surviving, because if he did, surely Leopold II would be gunning for him first.

He didn't want a price on his head. But, boy, was he going to let Leopold have it when he got back on that ship Leopold II had sent to bring him home.

Or, if Leopold didn't start shouting at him, maybe he'd just let the man watch the rebellion get worse. Because it seemed like he wanted to do some dastardly things here, thigns which Philippe wasn't allowing. Maybe he should just let leopold II suffer the cruel fate of having those revealed years from now, as the crackdown Leopold envisioned couldn't last forever. He might be making thigns tough now with his draconian measures. But, someday, he would pay.

Philippe smiled for the first time in what seemed like years. Yes, the man was too stubborn to listen to reason. But, either the Filipinos would rebel successfully, or Leopold would crack down so severely he would have egg on his face and be hated the world over. Maybe that's just what the man deserved, Philippe pondered."

Samsara123

Banned
2000 men is nowhere near enough to suppress the various filipino republics and rajahs and sultanates, they will literally be eaten alive when they march into the jungles, the south employs what are basically drugged up berzerkers that took the development of a new pistol to bring down and before that needed a shotgun to kill

May, 1876: Belgium's Leopold II has amassed thousands of troops in the Philippines over the last year, despite Prince Philippe's plea that he needed to be construcve and work with the people there, perhaps guide them toward Dominion status a la Canada with Britain. Leopold has declined, and instead took control of the colony out of Parliament's hands.

When they then withdrew funding, he acknowledged this politely. "This is my colony and I wish to rule it as I see fit. Canada is an independent dominion, it has no connection to Great Britain except a figurehead queen," he continued, something which - when word got out - brought a scathing rebuke from Queen Victoria. He went on to say, "I have my own money and shall pay for the troops myself."

It should be noted that - after the brief military action last summer - King Leopold's forces did get the upper hand in many area, pushing the rebels back into the jungles. However, his harsh crackdown with his own forces wouldn't last forever. Still, he had ways to extract minerals and other goods from the Philippines which would, if all went we4ll, earn him enough money to keep the place afloat. And, if he lost a little money one year, he felt he could make it back the next.

Several people from the PHilippines send word apologizing to Prince PHilippe for not heeeding his advice the find a way to split so that part of them would become a Dominion; still under control of Belgium but with a Parliament like Canada's. This (along with what if he'd declared independence himself for them, though this is much less likely to have worked) is one of those interesting what-ifs that is underdeveloped on alternate history message boards 140 years later.

As it is, King Leopold is created a decades-long quagmire for himself.

From "The Election of 1876" - OMnipedia:

"When Grant didn't run... James Blaine looked like the frontrunner till some scandals hit, and then his health was questioned. Still at the Convention, because Conling's power and influence were a little less due to his affair being made public by... possible Democratic voters, Conkling wasn't quite able to keep Blaine from getting a majority, which he did... on the 5th ballot. With an Easterner at the head, the convention chose John A. Logan of Illinois as his running mate.
Samuel Tilden was the most celebrated Democratic nominee since Jackson, and he excited everyone...
The election came down to the wire, and Tilden won by only several thousand votes, including a few thousand in Ohio."
----------------------------------

Alternate history message board discussion, 2015:

Poster 1: "I know Tilden got over 220 electoral votes, and Ohio only had 25; I'm telling you Tilden easily could have lost. Blaine had just a little too much going against him, though. While he was personally popular, the sting of scandal still hung in the air a little. He had wished for the nomination, but it was a very bad year for the Republicans. Even out West, where Tilden was rather unpopular, Blaine barely won. And, some of those could have called for recounts – California and Oregon were too close to call, even as Republicans figured out how they could work the recounts in 3 Southern states."

Poster 2: "Maybe to Hayes he could have lost, and even then I don't know...true, he only won Ohio by 1% and Hayes was pular. I'm not saying he won in a landslide, but they would have had to get every recount going their way and then some."

POster 1: "Even Blaine, I think, could have won; he called the party the party of "Rum, Romanism, and REbellion," and that really hurt him with immigrant voters and especially Catholics."

Poster 2: "Look, we're going around and around, I'm giving you Hayes, even though the man he ran against in 1880 wasn't as good of a campaigner."

Poster 3"That's an understatement. Hancock said the tariff was a local issue."

POster 1: Hayes came in 2nd to Blaine in '76 and just couldn't make up the lead Blaine had. Then, he was a good compromise in 1880. But, let's get back to Blaine here; If he wins in 1876, I say Grant would have pulled Federal troops out of the South a few days earlier. REconstruction was over and Grant knew it - he wouldn't have kept them there and let a Republican putt them out instead; he took responsibility."

Poster 3: Now that's an interesting thought. I honestly don't think many saw that as a reason to hate Tilden at the time4; just in retrospect.

Poster 2: Like a lot of things, Tilden was more villified during his time in office than after. But, do you really think he was poor enough he'd have lost re-election in 1880?

Poster 1: Maybe it depends on who is running. But, he beleived in a one-term tradition, and he was in declining health, anyway. The 1880s may have still been a Republican decade.

POster 2: Maybe, but they weren't as firmly on the side of right as you think. Civil Service reform only happened after Hayes was shot, and it took the 2 terms of Garfield to help some places hit the breaks when it came to JIm Brow, at least in the Upper South..."

From "NiceGuys Finish Last - A Term Paper for AP American History, by Joe Smith, Apr. 12, 1972"

"Leo Durocher, then manager of the Dodgers, once appraised their rival Giants with the taunt, "They're nice guys, but they'll finish last." Durocher was a noted brawler at times, but he could have been speaking of President Samuel Tilden. Though he has since risen in esteem to where he is considered average, there are several reasons that, in his time, he was deemed a rather poor President despite being a "nice guy."
First, there was the Great Railroad Strike. By sending Federal troops in to quash it, he earned the ire of Labor, and Reformers. He supported the Posse Comatatus Act later, which limited the President’s use of Federal troops to enforce local problems, but his career as an attorney helping financially struggling railroad companies came into question, even though it’s generally accepted that a Republican President would have done the same thing, due to the disruption it caused. Tilden also praised the B&O Railroad for measures taken in 1880 to introduce death benefits and other things, but that was too little, too late to help his reputation.
Second, by President Grant astutely choosing not to send Federal troops back to their barracks in March of 1877 as he might have with a GOP President coming in, Tilden bore the whole blame for “ending Reconstruction,” even though it had its de facto ending a few years earlier as people tired of trying to police the South.
Third, while the economy got somewhat better, there were still problems – in Britain some consider the whole era from 1873-1896 to be one Depression....This caused the Greenback Party to grow even more, and to ally with Republicans in some areas even by 1878 as some candidates (in the Half-Breeds) tried to claim their days of corruption were over.
Fourthly, his signing of the Chinese Exclusion Act – which several in the GOP would have vetoed – was viewed by some as a further sign of his bowing to the South and their desire to keep everything according to their own class structure. Not that a lot in the GOP were in favor of Civil Rights, but enough were. More importantly, it was a signal that the South was trying to “take over” and “become dominant politically just like the days before the Civil war.”
nnn
Tilden even faced problems within his own party. He wanted Civil Service reform, but now the Democrats, after being out of power, were demanding that Tilden give them political patronage. Oh, there was support for it, led by Thomas F. Bayard, his friend from Delaware, in the Senate, but a hard-fought battle ended in a very weak bill which did very little to actually reform it.
This is not to say that Tilden was horrible – he was more ineffective than anything, a nice guy who seemed overwhelmed by the moment but who, when historians first started looking seriously at him, hadn'tbeen as responsible for his failures as it was made out to be in the press of that day... Woodrow Wilson wrote a famous letter to him after enrolling in Virginia Law School in which he reiterated his position that a professorship was the best field for him, and lauded the European system, which he had begun to study more and more. “It is obvious why you feel one term is enough, as do I. You face such turmoil in office, and the only thanks you seem to get is from those who decide they would rather vote for someone else next time. I feel for you, Mr. President, I am extremely happy that you won, but our own party does you no favors,” Wilson wrote.
Perhaps it's best to sum up his Presidency by another famous sports axiom - "You're never as good as you look when you win, or as bad as you look when you lose."

------------------------------------

From a New York Times op. ed., Nov. 15, 1878:

"It's no wonder the Republicans made big gains - and might make even bigger ones in 1880. While Cubans see their revolution crushed once and for all - admittedly, America was too busy and too invested in Reconstruction to help there - The president has totall ignored the U.S. Virgin Islands. We promised them a good naval base, and after some work on it in the early 1870s, the Democrats have left it dormant sicne they took over Congress in 1874. America needs to decide whether it wants to have any power projection beyond its shores or not....

"Granted, we don't need to be as dumb as the Belgians, who don't seem to have the same success in the PHiippines. Or whoever will grab that bg, gaping hole in the center of Africa with all of its warring tribes. Hey, maybe we should...

"No, that's silly, of course.Rumor has it the Danish might get the Congo basin, their economy is recovering fromt heir 1864 war, with the help of the sale of their Virgin Islands. The Dutch are a candidate, a neutral nation which is amenable to the British and the Germans, as is Denmark. And... I wonder if anyone has thought of Sweden, which has pledged its netrality since the end of the Napoleonic Wars.

"Or, why not go a step further. You want neutrals? However about the Swiss Congo? Hey, Lichtenstein was thought to be totally of their rocker almost a dozen years ago when they bought Alaska, and now look. They have thousands of colonists, quite a few explorers of many walks of life, and while it still seems like a waste, it is, at least, a good place for a nation to send people they don't want in their land...."