The Greatest Showman: The History of the Disney Company (What if everything for Walt and his company went right).

That fits perfectly with Disney. Consider OTL we have Davy Croket. And you just solved another problem. Getting James dean into Disney.
I figure Breckenridge needs more love since he was REH's most successful character in his lifetime (and ITTL, Conan will hopefully not solely be Howard's most well-known creation).

I figure Breckenridge needs more love since he was REH's most successful character in his lifetime (and ITTL, Conan will hopefully not solely be Howard's most well-known creation).
Consider me informed. I had no idea Conan was a Book first. Well now this for sure can be adapted by Disney. Anything to make more obscure things be bigger. Give hollywood more variety of adaptations. Maybe we get an early Conan too. Rock Hudson as conan could be cool.

Last edited:
@The Young Explorer Considering Judy Garland's reputation as a gay icon, I can see Carmilla being regarded as a hallmark of LGBT cinema (however subtle the lesbian subtext might be), particularly if Walt would want to play up Carmilla's sympathetic and tragic qualities.

I said Bambi because production IRL actually began before Pinocchio, but feel free to include or exclude Bambi if you like.
That's true. A lot of them did begun quite earlier like Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan. Its funny because Alice was considered to be the first film and peter pan the second. I will likely keep Bambi as a tv show works better but that does remind me to include stuff about the early life of these films.

@The Young Explorer Considering Judy Garland's reputation as a gay icon, I can see Carmilla being regarded as a hallmark of LGBT cinema (however subtle the lesbian subtext might be), particularly if Walt would want to play up Carmilla's sympathetic and tragic qualities.
Somehow feel like we are going to accidently (or on purpose) make Disney films icons for being progressive. Like Br'er Rabbit's adventure was for African American's. Considering Rock Hudson was gay it may make his life easier too. Plus Judy Garland needs to find protection from the problem's studios forced upon her when she was younger. Carmillais going to be adapted, adding to my planning document today. Also can lead to the good early death of something terrible. The Hays code.

So anyone and everyone who is reading this. Doing the planning document as a basic guide. A new name for EPCOT is needed. Same theme park as OTL but the name still does not fit very well.
Secondly: How feasible is the Disney channel in the late 60s.

Last edited:
So anyone and everyone who is reading this. Doing the planning document as a basic guide. A new name for EPCOT is needed. Same theme park as OTL but the name still does not fit very well.
Secondly: How feasible is the Disney channel in the late 60s.
1: I'd probably call it "World Showcase", after the section of OTL's EPCOT. Naturally, I would also do away with most of the EPCOT stuff that doesn't have to do with World Showcase, with the exception of Spaceship Earth, which will be part of an "Outer Space Pavillion". Not quite Tomorrowland, but not quite Adventures Thru Inner Space.

2: Probably not feasible at all. I'm thinking maybe a 1971 or 1972 launch would work best. That way, you could have more content from the studios arrive since Day 1. Seriously, unless you plan on making all of Disney's new television venture move directly to The Disney Channel, I don't see it working well right then and there.

1: I'd probably call it "World Showcase", after the section of OTL's EPCOT. Naturally, I would also do away with most of the EPCOT stuff that doesn't have to do with World Showcase, with the exception of Spaceship Earth, which will be part of an "Outer Space Pavillion". Not quite Tomorrowland, but not quite Adventures Thru Inner Space.

2: Probably not feasible at all. I'm thinking maybe a 1971 or 1972 launch would work best. That way, you could have more content from the studios arrive since Day 1. Seriously, unless you plan on making all of Disney's new television venture move directly to The Disney Channel, I don't see it working well right then and there.
Sounds like a plan for EPCOT. Can easily make a forth park, lets call it for now Progress City for things like test track and Mission space. Though personally mission space is one of the worst rides I have been on due to the g-forces. Though doing that means we butterfly away figment for I don't see him fitting in world's showcase or Progress City.

Guess there gonna have to work with ABC Or NBC for there pre-Disney channel shows then. Like they did for Disney land's program. They will likely end up working with a few companies such as pan-am.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan for EPCOT. Can easily make a forth park, lets call it for now Progress City for things like test track and Mission space. Though personally mission space is one of the worst rides I have been on due to the g-forces. Though doing that means we butterfly away figment for I don't see him fitting in world's showcase or Progress City.

Guess there gonna have to work with ABC or NBC for there pre-Disney channel shows then. Like they did for Disney land's program. They will likely end up working with a few companies such as pan-am.
A fourth park for the non-Showcase stuff seems good. As for Figment, why not have him and the Dreamfinder be the stars of a show in The Fantasyland Hour? That way, their personalities may be preserved for generations.

Well, CBS is also an option for Disney's televised content. Just thought you should know that.

A fourth park for the non-Showcase stuff seems good. As for Figment, why not have him and the Dreamfinder be the stars of a show in The Fantasyland Hour? That way, their personalities may be preserved for generations.

Well, CBS is also an option for Disney's televised content. Just thought you should know that.
Ya know I forget about CBS. Being British the only one's i tend to remember are fox, ABC and NBC. Would be nice to change it up instead of using the familiar. Figment's ride is one of the best in EPCOT and that darn song is just as catchy as the others. Having him start out on tv then come to the magic kingdom later on in a larger expansion. Walt Disney world will have at least 6 theme parks parks (magic kingdom, world show case, progress city, animal kingdom, hollywood studios and Dark Kingdom).

https://justdisney.co/disneys-dark-kingdom-the-park-that-never-was/

Ya know I forget about CBS. Being British the only one's i tend to remember are fox, ABC and NBC. Would be nice to change it up instead of using the familiar. Figment's ride is one of the best in EPCOT and that darn song is just as catchy as the others. Having him start out on tv then come to the magic kingdom later on in a larger expansion. Walt Disney world will have at least 6 theme parks parks (magic kingdom, world show case, progress city, animal kingdom, hollywood studios and Dark Kingdom).

https://justdisney.co/disneys-dark-kingdom-the-park-that-never-was/

I mean, if cutting the more dated content out could save Br'er Rabbit, then it could save Figment just the same.

Also, are you meaning 6 theme parks at the start, or six theme parks in total?

I mean, if cutting the more dated content out could save Br'er Rabbit, then it could save Figment just the same.

Also, are you meaning 6 theme parks at the start, or six theme parks in total?
Six in total. One of my gripes with modern Disney is the lack of expansion. They still have quite a bit of land left over in Orlando but only seem to build 1-2 rides at the most. Numbers keep increasing but no new park comes all while Universal is building a third park. So yes. six parks in total not counting the waterparks, hotels or Disney springs. Other unbuilt things will also be built such as the other resorts never built (Disney's Asian Resort, Disney's Mediterranean Resort etc). Add Beastly Kingdom to that too because anything is better then avatar land.

Last edited:
Chapter Eleven: Package It up

Chapter Eleven: Package It up

The war coming to a close by 1944. Yet this meant little to nothing for the Disney studios who entered one their bossiest periods. By 1944 the studio was back in the green though the studio was still not ready to completely shred of its old skin to become the golden age studio it would be known as in the 1950s. One of the reasons for this was walt’s children. Theodore Elias Disney was now eighteen years of age. Growing up he had shown many of the same talents walt had but Theodore was also exposed to his uncle Roy and took on a passion for business. It was in his eighteenth year he pledged to the latter which disappointed Walt though the father did his best not to show it. he stood by his son, learning lessons from his father. Theodore would take up work under Roy and begun a cycle of Disney family members training under family members.

Fifteen-year-old Diane Disney was also beginning to outgrow the family home. She saw the world that her father partook in and wanted in as well. She was no writer like her aunt or artist like her father instead the child was for the most part charismatic. She found a fork in the road at that age. her father for his part would not play favouritism with his children. He believed whole heatedly that if they were to make a success they had to do it without his help. To this end at the age of 15, Diane Disney made her choice and joined the Disney Talent school on the lot. Her name got her attention as was expected but Diane pushed on to find her own way just like her father had done.

While the two oldest children forged their own, the three youngest contunuied on normally for now as walt turned his attention to package films. Package films for walt and the studio had taken on a different meaning entirely after the success of Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros. To them it meant two smaller films packaged together in a double bill. That way more profit could be gained and more projects could be produced. Trust had become paramount among the Disney staff by 1944 and so more people where trusted with films. After the success of Peter Rabbit/Hansel Gretel (which was merged together as a double bill in 1944 after constant delays the studios pushed ahead with a faster pace.

Walt himself would work upon The Life of Hans Christian Andersen which would be the only non-package film made during that short window near the end of the war. Plans for this film, like the others, had begun a long time before its production even began. Plans for a film that would feature a collection of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy-tales were first discussed in late 1937, shortly before the release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Actor Jean Hersholt, who had spent a lifetime researching the author was brought in to provide his knowledge. Production on the movie began shortly before the finishing of Brer Rabbit Adventures. The film was more than just a film however. It would begin a slow but amical break up with universal with the contract soon to run out in the 1950s Disney was ready to find a new avenue for release.

The film was to tell the tale of Hans Christian Andersen injected with his fairy tales. Disney made an agreement with MGM. Though Disney was capable of filming the live action sections by themselves they wanted to solely focus on the animation. Well MGM got about working on the live action sections of the film, the Disney studio got about working on the animation sections. Five of his tales where selected for the film (The Little Fir Tree,Through the Picture Frame,The Emperor's Nightingale,The Steadfast Tin Soldier and "The Ugly Duckling). Production on the film would last from 1944 to 1946. It would become the first film Disney film to release post war and the first to feature the voice of future screen star Norma Jeane Mortenson. It was a success like Brer Rabbit Adventures before it. the film did not win any awards but the influx of return soldiers drove the box office numbers up sending the film into third highest of 1946.

Well Disney produced Brer Rabbit Adventures and The Life of Hans Christian Andersen. Other people worked on other projects. UB had taken up the task of not just doing two films but instead pushing ahead with three named Three Fabulous Characters. This film included The Wind in the Willows, The Legend of Happy Valley and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It was an ambitious plan and costs where to be kept on the down low like Dumbo had before it. Well-known celebrities Basil Rathbone and Bing Crosby were cast as narrators in order to provide mass audience appeal. It was a risky move for the studios but one that would soon pay off. It went on to gross $1,200,000 in domestic rentals in the United States and Canada. It would be the only time that a three package film would ever be created. UB Won a recognition award at the Oscars for his effort.

With Three Fabulous Characters releasing in February of 1945. The next project led by Wolfgang Reitherman would be the final film Disney would ever make and release before the end of the second world war. It would release in July of 1945, just one month before Victory over Japan. Reitherman chose a more musical project while UB had chosen a more story based project. Fun and Fancy Free and Melody Time was to be Wolfgang’s project. The film would consist of eight shorts. With each having four. Fun and Fancy Free would contain Bongo, Bambi, Donald Duck and Oswald Too, and Mickey and the beanstalk while Melody Time would be more akin to fantasia and would feature Once Upon a Wintertime, Trees, Blame it on samba and Pecos Bill. Both would be joined together by a narrator which was done by walt himself. At the time of its release, the film received generally unfavourable reviews and would begin the end of package films.

The final package film for Disney would be made by trusted merry old folk of Disney member Marc Davis. The film was delayed three times from 1944, 1946 to finally 1947. This was due to members of this film being needed to work on others yet Davis still pushed ahead his own double bill The Reluctant Dragon/Make mine music. While the reluctant dragon served as a cartoonish tour around the Disney studio while make mine music was the generic package idea Disney was used to consisting of five segments (Peter and the Wolf,The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met,Two Silhouettes ,After You've Gone,Without You). The film was a moderate success but for walt it was a disaster.

There last big hit and to walt ground breaking film was Brer Rabbit Adventures. Nothing that had come after had truly broken any records. Fleischer studios by now had begun to catch up releasing The Secret Garden in 1947 which went on to win the Oscar for best picture and dominated the box office. Warner brother’s by now fought Disney as well as the loony toons shorts also began to dominate the Oscars. To make walt feel even worse characters like Woody Woodpecker where also gaining in popularity. The media began to claim that though walt had lit the flame of animation his studio where no longer the one’s carrying it. walt and his studio however where not about to go down without a fight and with a new decade on the horizon. Walt was back in the mentality that to save the studios. They had to be prepared to do whatever it took, no matter the cost.

This new update gave me a lot to ponder about...

Is The Legend of Happy Valley different from Mickey and the Beanstalk?

What is the plot of Bongo, Bambi, Donald Duck, and Oswald Too? And how does it incorporate all of these characters?
UPDATE: I read closer into the update and found out that Bongo is one segment, Bambi is a second segment, and Donald Duck and Oswald Too is a third segment. Is this the case? If so, I am most interested in how you managed to pair Donald and Oswald together.

Nice to see the mainstream HCA stories are preserved for full-length features for the most part. Although, if this is the order the segments run in, I think they saved the most popular of the chosen shorts for last.

Going beyond package films, the variety that Walt's studio has acquired over the years gives me hope that his bloodline won't end with those particular five children he and Lillian conceived.

And going beyond Disney itself, what does the Fleischer Studios filmography look like? I mean, we have Popeye's Travels, The Secret Garden, and I think a Superman feature, but that leaves a lot of gaps in the woodworks!

Also, is there potential for Warner Bros., RKO Radio Pictures, MGM, and the rest to enter the feature film market that Walt and the Fleischers have become quite famous for?

This new update gave me a lot to ponder about...

Is The Legend of Happy Valley different from Mickey and the Beanstalk?

What is the plot of Bongo, Bambi, Donald Duck, and Oswald Too? And how does it incorporate all of these characters?
UPDATE: I read closer into the update and found out that Bongo is one segment, Bambi is a second segment, and Donald Duck and Oswald Too is a third segment. Is this the case? If so, I am most interested in how you managed to pair Donald and Oswald together.

Nice to see the mainstream HCA stories are preserved for full-length features for the most part. Although, if this is the order the segments run in, I think they saved the most popular of the chosen shorts for last.

Going beyond package films, the variety that Walt's studio has acquired over the years gives me hope that his bloodline won't end with those particular five children he and Lillian conceived.
And going beyond Disney itself, what does the Fleischer Studios filmography look like? I mean, we have Popeye's Travels, The Secret Garden, and I think a Superman feature, but that leaves a lot of gaps in the woodworks!

Also, is there potential for Warner Bros., RKO Radio Pictures, MGM, and the rest to enter the feature film market that Walt and the Fleischers have become quite famous for?
Firstly: There all coming for the feature film market. Its a big business now, animation makes money.
Secondly: the whole idea of more children is to keep the company within family hands. Be it Roy's, Ruth's or Walt's Children.
Thirdly: If you would like an entire chapter dedicate to just the history and films of Fleischer Studios. I will gladly make it
Forth: There's a big event about to happen and Mickey is set to partake. Mickey is missing so Oswald teams up with Donald to find him. though its anything but easy.
also: Yes its different. There were plans developed to combine The Wind in the Willows with The Legend of Happy Valley and The Gremlins, an original story developed by author Roald Dahl, into a package film titled Three Fabulous Characters. This feel though OTL but here its made. Only difference is replacing gremlins with The Legend of Sleepy Hollow because it seemed more fitting.

Last edited: