The Great Turk returns - Alternate resurging Ottomans (1747-1947)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But can't sweden and prussia just do that?
Those nations all have reason to be allies poland and ottoman alliance is built on 'i have bigger fish to worry about'. Both nations dislike each other making it an unreliable alliance. These nations fought each other not that long ago and ignoring conflicting interests there is bad blood between them. Also sweden and prussia militaries are better than poland, militarily what can poland offer which is better than the other nations can't to the ottomans?
Well if nothing else at least PLC alive keep Russia focus divided between west and south rather than solely to the crimea and caucacus (and later balkan in otl). Doesn't mean Ottoman and PLC must agree on everything.

But your point also true, trust will be an issue especially with Crimean Khanate slave raid still in recent memories. Also aside from Russia, Ottoman can't do anything about Prussia and to a lesser extend Austria action toward PLC.

But if PLC do fall I like to see larger polish diaspora in Ottoman Empire rather like otl Adampol (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonezköy)

Well if nothing else at least PLC alive keep Russia focus divided between west and south rather than solely to the crimea and caucacus (and later balkan in otl). Doesn't mean Ottoman and PLC must agree on everything.

But your point also true, trust will be an issue especially with Crimean Khanate slave raid still in recent memories. Also aside from Russia, Ottoman can't do anything about Prussia and to a lesser extend Austria action toward PLC.

But if PLC do fall I like to see larger polish diaspora in Ottoman Empire rather like otl Adampol (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonezköy)

Adampol seem really cool place, bigger version of that would cool to see. Ottomans will fight to protect poland they will see them being a buffer but not an allie. But how much can it realistically protect? Also ottomans simply will not have enough clout to stop the partition well at least the first. The best they can do is to get some buffer state of large population of loyal poles.

Adampol seem really cool place, bigger version of that would cool to see. Ottomans will fight to protect poland they will see them being a buffer but not an allie. But how much can it realistically protect? Also ottomans simply will not have enough clout to stop the partition well at least the first. The best they can do is to get some buffer state of large population of loyal poles.

He is right. There was no real intention for alliance with the Polish. In OTL, Mustafa III saw the growing Russian influence over PLC as a threat. If the Commonwealth was gone then so was their buffer with Russia. He tried to halt it but failed.

The 18th century chapter will continue about the Maltese issue, the Russo-Turkish War, Power struggle in Persia, the rise of the Sauds and the Yemen campaign. Can't tell when I'd finish it but hope within 2 days.

There might be something additional but I'm not sure yet about what.

The 18th century chapter will continue about the Maltese issue, the Russo-Turkish War, Power struggle in Persia, the rise of the Sauds and the Yemen campaign. Can't tell when I'd finish it but hope within 2 days.

There might be something additional but I'm not sure yet about what.
Just take your time with it so the next chapter will be better as the result.

Also glad to know this tl still continue

The Knights of Malta and the Persian Campaign of Ismail
The Knights of Malta, 1766

Since the day the Knights of St. John abandoned Southern Italy for Malta they became a burden for Islamic shipping. Even now, when the Ottoman Wars with Italian powers is as good as gone they’re still continuing their pirate activities on the ships of Muslim merchants and Ottoman Navy vessels. This went as far as raiding North African villages on the Coast. The lords of the Maghreb vassals of the Sultan petitioned the Sultan to attack Malta and get rid of the Knights. The North African call for help was aided with a call by the local Mufti for a holy war against the Knights. Mustafa III heard about this issue from Merchants from Tripoli. As far as Mustafa was concerned it was something he really wanted. Not only would getting rid of the Maltese raise his prestige among Muslim subjects but also get rid of a potential Mediterranean base for the Russian Navy.

Since the day Spain and Venice no longer were a big enemy of the Ottomans, the Knights looked for new allies. Austria looked as the first candidate but Austria showed no real interest and rather looked East for allies against the Ottomans. And those were the Russians. And it were the Russians the Knights hoped to get an alliance with. Russia, although Eastern Orthodox, were also committed in their wars against the Ottomans and getting them out of Europe. This raised questions about the policies of the Knights. Should the Knights really trust the Russians? The Russians made no secret about their ambition of having an Eastern Orthodox base in the Mediterranean populated with Greeks. Some of the Knights were uneasy about that thought fearing for a deportation by the Russians whom could dominate the alliance and enforce it. At that moment the Knights would lose their home. But the voice of the pro-Russian factions were heard. Getting rid of Islamic Rule in Europe was their mission. And it wouldn’t matter if it would mean fighting together with an Eastern Orthodox power.
These words were not kept between for walls in the base of the Knights in Malta. The conference was also attended by spies from France. The French were not interested to have more Russian domination on their Southern Flank. Louis XV let the words of the Knights be heard by Mustafa III ambassador in Paris. And in mere years, entire Constantinople knew about what the Knights were up to.

Mustafa III: “Husameddin Pasha. Good you’re here. Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasha is here as well. It is time we talk about or next plan.”

Husameddin Pasha: “As you order my Sultan. What would be the next preparation? I assume the fleet is involved this time?”

Mehmed Pasha: “Husameddin Pasha. The Sultan has told me earlier this week. For the following preparation you will have the biggest role. The Sultan will talk with the Pasha’s of the Divan Today. But it is necessary you know what it is about so you won’t get surprised. Our Sultan and Caliph has ordered us to prepare an operation against the Knights on Malta. The Sultan ordered me to secure no objection from the powers around the Mediterranean. But even if they object it will happen. It needs to start within two months.”

Husameddin Pasha: “Grand vizier, I can mobilise the fleet and the Army in even one month but how can we secure other nations acceptance of our campaign in two months?”

Mustafa III: “We don’t have to. It will only show the goodwill of our state towards the major powers. Our spies has told us that General Orlov is in Khadibey. He will move towards the Capital this week. As far as I am concerned, this is for Peter III a declaration of war. We can’t hand over Orlov to Peter as it will only show weakness they will try to use against us. But this is also an opportunity to prevent the Russians from intervening in Poland-Lithuania. King Stanislaw asked aid from us. And we will take it. And this is where the role of the Knights take place. They will intensify their attacks on Islamic lands. We need to prevent that and finally take Malta what my ancestor Suleiman the Lawgiver could not. It is time to make him proud of us. We need to prevent Peter from using Malta as a base. If we succeed we secure the Eastern Mediterranean from future attacks. Corfu was the target of my nephew Mahmud I. And Malta will be mine. The Beys of Algiers, Tunis and Tripoli will manouvre their fleets to distract the Knights. And you will set sail to Malta. You have two option Pasha. Either you take the island or you die fighting for it. I will not accept a defeat.”

Husameddin Pasha: “My Sultan, I am honoured to take your order. As Allah is my witness, I will not let you down God willing. May Allah grant our State victory and delay my and my soldiers martyrdom.”

“Mustafa III leaves the Pasha’s”

The Quest for Persia, 1767

Ismail III assembled his forces and wanted to take over Central Persia with Esfahan. His scouts have told him that Karim Khan is near Najafabad. They just broke up their camp and move north for Qazvin. Ismail is this time supported by the powerful ally Agha Mohammed. The young leader of the Qajar tribe has a force of 40,000 men under his control of which 33,000 are cavalry. Ismail Has 50,000 men of which 35,0000 are infantry recruited with the latest training and arming to Ottoman style. His third Army is 20,000 Turkmens from Azerbaijan, all cavalry. His foe, Karim Khan mobilised numerically inferior but fast moving Army of 50,000 men and 10,000 Afshar cavalry allies. All battle hardened and veterans from previous wars. In Early March the two armies met each other near Najafabad. The Shahs artillery used the hills near the town as their position to hit Zand forces. Karim Khan fortified the abandoned town and used it as a defence knowing that the Shahs Army will face heavy losses if they attack immediately. However what bothered Karim Khan was the Safavid Artillery bombing the defences of the Zand forces. Karim Khan used his Cavalry by splitting them. His left flank Cavalry was used to move around the hills and raid the Artillery Corps on the hill. If the Artillery is finished the Shah has no weapons to enforce a siege and will be forced to retreat. His right flank was to take the attention of Agha Mohammeds cavalry near Esfahan not too far away from the battlefield. Karim Khans plan did work partially. Agha Mohammed was prevented from entering Esfahan and outmanoeuvring Karim Khan from the East. His left flank halted the Artillery from hitting Najafabad for quite some time but he could not destroy the Artillery Corps as the resistance of the Turkmen Cavalry was too strong. The left flank returned back to Najafabad and were then used to support the Right flank against the Qajar Cavalry. The Qajars retreated from Esfahan and Karim Khan repelled the first attack. Ismail III was annoyed at hearing he could not enter Esfahan. The following morning he moved the 6th and 7th Artillery Corps from Najafabad behind the hills to Esfahan as well as the Qajar infantry to support Agha Mohammed. Ismail knew that by moving two Artillery battalions he would have less firepower and Karim Khan may notice it and retreat. He could win in Esfahan but Karim Khan would leave with his Army still not beaten. Ismail regardless took the risk and moved it. In the early morning the Safavid Artillery hit Esfahan continuously. The Qajar Cavalry attacked the city and were met by the Zand Cavalry. As the day before the Zands were hard in their defence and would not allow the Qajar Cavalry enter the town. Agha Mohammed moved the Infantry division East of Esfahan out of the Zand Cavalry sight. With this he would sent his small but fast moving infantry towards the town and attack the Zand forces from behind. The Qajar infantry entered Esfahan only to meet the 1,500 Zand garrison fighting them. As soon as the Afshar Cavalry saw the Qajar Infantry in the town they have thought that the city was breached and ordered a retreat. Agha Mohammed noticed a retreat from Esfahan and sent his second in command to the Shahs base in Najafabad and advise him to advance towards Najafabad. If the Shah follows Agha Mohammeds advice Karim Khan can be surrounded by the Safavid faction. Agha Mohammed pursued the retreating forces and sent the Artillery Battalions back to Najafabad. The Qajar Infantry had to secure Esfahan. As soon as Ismail III heard the advice of Agha Mohammed he ordered his Infantry to advance towards the town. At the same time the retreating factions from Esfahan told Karim Khan about the loss of the City. Karim Khan knew that retreating now would be impossible without casualties and ordered his left flank cavalry to attack the Safavid Infantry from the left. Some of the Zand infantry were placed East of Najafabad to face the Forces of Agha Mohammed. To prevent the Zand Cavalry from routing the Safavid Infantry the Turkmen Cavalry attacked the Zand forces while the Infantry advanced towards Najafabad. Agha Mohammed used his half of his cavalry to attack from the East of Najafabad while the second force would cut the Souther road. Karim Khan managed to fend off the first waves of attack by Agha Mohammed while Ismails Infantry stormed the Zand defences North of Najafabad. As soon as the Qajar Cavalry from the South entered the Town the defences were broken. However, Karim Khan managed to retreat towards the West of the Town trying to retreat. But when Karim Khan got slain by one of Agha Mohammeds Cavalry force officers the Zand forces routed. Ismail had won his victory and even slain his rival. Before the Qajars could start mutilate Karim Khans body he ordered the slain Karim Khan to be buried with honour. Ismail lost over 16,000 men while the Zands lost over 28,000 met of which half during the rout. Maybe the most bloodiest battle in Persian History.

The Wahabites

The time has come brothers! 1767

At the court of the emir of Diriyah the Emir Abdul Aziz Bin Mohammed Bin Saud and Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdal Wahab are talking. The Emir of the Sauds is busy consolidating power in Nejd and prepares to strike on Qatif and the Emirs of the Persian Gulf.

Emir Abdul Aziz: “Thank you for coming Sheikh. I hope you’re well”.

Sheikh Mohammed: “God Willing I am fine. I was thinking about getting more tribes for our cause.”

Emir Abdul Aziz: “I’m glad you and I are thinking about the same. I can’t thank you enough for your effort in spreading the word against the heretics. The Sufis and Shias spread their kufr in the lands that the Sahaba spread the faith. As Muslims we are required to teach the population to repent from kufr.”

Sheikh Mohammed: “My Emir, Allah never makes a mistake. The time is right. The time is now to restore the glory of Islam. But we cannot achieve it all now. Your father Emir Mohammed was a blessed man to start it. May Allah bless those who fight for Quran and Sunnah.”

Emir Abdul Aziz: “Now you’re here I can tell you how I want to secure the land in the East. As you know the lands we have do have trouble to grow food and get water from our lands. My advisors have told me to take the land of the Shia heretics of Qatif and use the land for ourselves. Some tribes are also active in raiding the ships of the Heretics. If we get them to accept your teachings and our sovereignty we have new allies for our struggle. And when we’re stronger we’ll get rid of the Heretic Sultan of Constantinople.”

Sheikh Mohammed: "My Emir, Allah gave me legs and I can still walk. With your permission I want to go to the Emirs of the coast and will try to get them for you as your brothers in our mission. But I’ll have to worry about the Mamluk Beys of Baghdad and Cairo. Before the Sultan sends his Army the Mamluks are the threat”.

Emir Abdul Aziz: “Do not worry about the Mamluks honourable Sheikh. The Bey of Baghdad is incompetent and the Bey of Cairo will sell his honour if he could get a scrap of gold. And you have my permission. Go and set out to the Coast. You will be assisted by my soldiers and camels. Small steps first.”

The Sauds grew powerful and absorbed the tribes around in Nejd as well. By the 1770s most of the Arabian Persian Gulf Coast was taken by the Sauds. The Pirates of Persian Gulf intensified their raids on Ottoman and Persian Shipping and lands. The immediate growth of the Sauds resulted in observation by the Ottoman authorities towards the development. The Mamluk Beys of Baghdad warned about the hateful language of the Ikhwan towards the Ottoman Caliph. Sultan Mustafa III did not see the Sauds as a bigger threat than Russia or the Knights. By the 1780s the Sauds have reached the Coast of the Arabian Sea from Al Khaluf to Al Mukalla. When the Sauds threatened with the conquest of Sanaa and Muscat the Ottomans were alarmed. The alarm went even worse when the Saud forces reached as far as Karbala and Daraa.

The Georgian Janissaries, Tiflis, 1768

More than 10 years after the conquest of Tbilisi the Ottoman Authorities used Tbilisi as a base of operations against the Turkmen Khanates and Persians as well as recruiting ground. As an objective to form a new Infantry Corps, Hadzi Mustafa Pasha had recruited Turks from Eastern Anatolia as an example for the New Army to be formed. Army consisted of 12,000 men, 4 regiments. Supported by a completely reformed Artillery Corps recruited by French officers. There was also a cavalry division formed. The first Ottoman Cavalry in European style. These Cavalry units would have to replace the Sipahis as well. Although more loyal than the Janissaries they were still unreliable in battle. Most of the early recruits were Turkish. However, Hadzi Mustafa Pasha observed descent shares of Georgians as well. The condition of joining the Army was of course being a Muslim. The Georgian conscripts had no problem with doing so. This is where Hadzi Mustafa Pasha decided to experiment. As required, the Janissary Corps could also recruit from the newly acquired regions with the Sultans permit. This was also the case in Tbilisi. Hadzi Mustafa Pasha used this as a chance to form a distinctive version of the Janissary Corps only recruited by Christian Children and or converts. The Tiflis Corps became in the Russo-Turkish War one of the best forces next to the new Army. Proving to be a better version of the Janissaries than in Istanbul and all around the Empire, Hadzi Mustafa left his successor in Tiflis with the instruction. These new young Georgian Janissaries may replace the unorganised and rebellious Janissaries existing now. And it won’t be just Georgians. The recruitment of Serbs, Bulgarians, Greeks and Croats would as well. These Janissaries could serve as a Royal Guard. But their numbers have to remain low or it would turn back as the same problem the Ottoman state faced since Osman II. The new recruits were used in the Balkans as well. Overall their numbers were never higher than 15,000 men of the 120,000 Janissaries in the Corps. This is 1 out of 8. Numerically inferior. These new Janissaries were named ‘devshirme’ as to keep them distinctive from the the other Janissaries. A name from the original purpose of the Corps.

The 39,000 New Army recruits were from mostly Muslim origins: Turkmen, Bosniak, Albanian, Circassian, Egyptian. Both the ‘Devshirme’ And ‘Jadids” could go along and presented better results than one would expect. For this successful experiment, Sultan Mustafa III awarded Hadzi Mustafa Pasha with private lands in Bulgaria and became the governor of the Danube province.

Fall of Chotyn, August 1768, Principality of Moldova

In the early morning of August the Russian forces from Podolia marched straight towards Chotyn after they were informed about the declaration of war by Peter III. The Russian forces were 18,000 men. About 12,000 Infantry; 6,000 Cavalry and 30 Artillery pieces. The Russian mission was to Secure Moldova from the Ottomans and prevent them from crossing. The end of the mission is to occupy Galati before the Ottomans take it. The Russian forces were in Chotyn.The towns garrisons was 1,000 Moldovans and 800 Albanians. The Ottoman garrison could not hold the town for long as after three weeks the walls of Chotyn breached and the Russians stormed the town. Only a month Later Iasi surrendered to the the Russian Army in which the Russians now advanced toward Galati and occupied it. For now it was to wait out the reinforcements and new orders. The Ottomans would mobilise their Army by early March 1769 and start a counter Attack. The Crimean Khan mobilised 100,000 men, divided them in several Armies and used a hit and run tactic on the Russians expedition forces on the Right bank of the Dnjepr. The Russian Conquest of Chotyn was the first campaign of the war.

So are the commonwealth now involved in this war? Wouldn't that piss off the prussians and austrians as they can easily take commonwealth land.
Sorry can we get a run down of ottoman foreign relations as they were part of an alliance france was fighting yet they seem to have good relations. Are the ottomans more of a part time allie as it seems they are not pinned to one alliance.

So are the commonwealth now involved in this war? Wouldn't that piss off the prussians and austrians as they can easily take commonwealth land.
Sorry can we get a run down of ottoman foreign relations as they were part of an alliance france was fighting yet they seem to have good relations. Are the ottomans more of a part time allie as it seems they are not pinned to one alliance.

Short:

Franco-Ottoman alliance is active but France only helps with sending advisors and officers as help the Army to stay up to date.

Prussia and Austria await the results of the War. An Ottoman Victory would mean a Status Quo in the PLC which Prussia and Austria can live with. A Russian victory would mean too much Russian influence in the Commonwealth which means Prussia and Austria will protest.

The war just started. I'll try to make it more understandable next time.

Moldova Campaign
Moldova Campaign, 1768-1769

The Russian occupation of Moldova did not go unnoticed by the landlords along the Danube. The landlords of Ruscuk, Silistre, Razgrad and Nigbolu warned the Sultan about the Russian incursion in the Danubian principalities. The Prince of Moldova fled with his Army to Bucharest and left behind his domain to the Russian vanguard. Mustafa III had already assembled an Army but it still needed around a week or two to march strait out to Nikopol. The Ottoman Army wants to avoid any ambush and the Russian Army isn’t big enough to stretch out to Wallachia. Mustafa forms an Army of 100,000 men. About 50,000 Cavalry and 50,000 Infantry. Of the 50,000 Infantry there are 33,000 Janissaries and 17,000 regular Infantry. The 50,000 Cavalry consists of 44,000 Sipahis and 6,000 Regular Cavalry forces.

On the first day of April Sultan Mustafa appoints Ahmed Pasha as the head of force with Hadzi Mustafa Pasha, Huseyin Pasha and Ali Pasha as aides in the Campaign.

The Grand cross of the Danube, March 1769

In order to force to Russians to peace, Sultan Mustafa and Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasha prepared a plan for the Ottoman Army in which the Ottoman forces secure a connection with the Commonwealth and drive the Russians out of Polish Ukraine. Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasha left with the Army for Nigbolu. From Nigbolu he ordered the Army to be divided in two Forces. The Army under Hadzi Mustafa Pasha with the regular forces will move in to Bucharest and order the Prince of Moldova and Wallachia to join the their Forces with that of the Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasha. Hadzi Mustafa Pasha will move then towards Iasi and use the Pruth River as defence against the Russians. The Army of the Grand Vizier, the Janissaries and the Sipahis will besiege the Russian Expedition Army in Galati. Mehmed Pasha will be supported by the Danube fleet of 50 small vessels and gunboats to support the siege. Hadzi Mustafa Pashas main objective is to halt any Russian crossing of the Pruth River.

BtLWg9XrDT-FuJemZDkAt4y7Pe_lavcHtdUX5XaVD-TWZU2H37HujfbqHUdwXUdJEm2D5GtVDU4KSlu6d49eAl3heQVSpUUZOnmnvkU4Z3jl3Ey-QAzz9p2AmMi6HMss4Y-gCV_L
Principality of Moldova

Battle of Cernauti, Moldova, 3 May 1769

In early April, Hadzi Mustafa Pasha reached Iasi. The Russians had abandoned the town while moving towards Galati. The Russian Expedition Forces were ordered to occupy Galati as soon as possible and leave the rest of Moldova for the upcoming Russian Forces. Peter III had sendt two Armies to Moldova. The First one was active in Podolia and 40,000 men strong while the second one was in the Ukraine preparing to fight the Crimean Tatars and 30,000 men strong.
Hadzi Mustafa Pasha sendt several scouts to look for the Russian Armies anywhere near the Pruth River in Bessarabia. The Scouts found nothing and Hadzi Mustafa Pasha remained in his position. On 23rd of April, Mustafa Pasha got news from his Scouts. The Scouts have encountered some Roma’s traveling to Transylvania and they have seen Russians Soldiers advancing towards Cernauti. The Pasha immediately rallied his Army and advanced towards Cernauti. On 1 May 1769 the Pasha reached Cernauti. The Pasha build trenches, Artillery defences in the forest and used the buildings outside of town. On the night of 2 May 1769, the Pashas Scouts have observed a crossing to the town by boats and using a bridge. As soon as half the Russian Army crossed to town the Ottoman Artillery bombed the Russian positions. The Russians in disarray tried to form defences in town while the Bridge was destroyed and around 200 men died instantly. Due to the panic and rout another 1,400 died. When the Russian Forces on the other side was fleeing the soldiers in the town started to flee as well. Around 400 died during the cross while 2,600 died during the advance on the town. During the morning, the remaining 3,800 men of the Russian Army in town surrendered to Mustafa Pasha. The Russians lost 3,600 men in battle; 3,800 surrendered of half of them being wounded. With still more than 30,000 men, Hadzi Mustafa Pasha was cautious. He did not defeat the entire Russian Army nor did he make the Russian Army incapable. He did however halt the Russians and thus saved the Grand Viziers Army in the Siege of Galati. Hadzi Mustafa Pasha lost around 600 men in the battle and 500 more wounded. The dead Russians were thrown as much as possible in the Pruth river hoping the stream downwards will bring them towards Black Sea where additional Russian Forces in Bessarabia can encounter what happened. The dead Ottoman Soldiers were buried and Hadzi Mustafa Pasha sent scouts to look what the Russians are doing next. As soon as Hadzi Pasha realised that the Russians are retreating back to Chotyn Hadzi Mustafa Pasha decided to chase the Russians and give them a second blow before they can reorganise and restart the advance on Moldova. The captive Russians were kept in town where a garrison of Tatars were to keep them under control until Mustafa Pasha returns.

Battle of the Danube, 10 May 1769

Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasha besieged Galati with his Army of 95,000 men. Mehmed Pasha was supported by the commander of the Danube fleet. The Danube fleet had around 50 small vessels and gunboats. The crew, veterans from the war with the Habsburgs, were highly motivated and not underestimated by the Russian Commander. Mehmed Pasha ordered the Ali Abdi Reis, the commander, to bomb the port of Galati to draw the Russian attention. “Do not allow them to be supplied. Do not let them fish or get anything from the river. Make them believe they think the attack comes from the Riverside.” These were the words of Mehmed Pasha to the commander of the fleet. Ali Abdi Reis sailed closer in range with his smaller vessels towards the shore while he bombed the Town with his biggest vessels. The crew landed and burned down any building close to the port. Wrecked anything to hinder the Russians to reach the port. Attacked all positions owned by the Russians. The attack had minimal deaths on both sides. The Russians lost 9 men while the Ottomans lost 12 men. However, the Russians had trouble with keeping the fire down, fearing for an entire burning town with them. After 6 hours of intense effort while under fire by the Danube fleet, the Russians put down most of the fire.
While the Russians were keen on holding the Army of the Grand Vizier out, the Russians put some of the Artillery in town in the buildings near the Port and bombing the Ottoman vessels as a response. The attack was effective, killing around 60 Ottoman crew members while wounding the commander of the fleet Ali Abdi Reis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.