The Great Silent One - Moltke the Austrian TL

I find it interesting that the Bern convention would see the Savoyards and the Bourbon's kicked out of France, effectively having Habsburg family members rule over darn near all of Italy. Especially the Two Sicilies case, I would've thought Francis would be restored to his throne at the very least.

Chapter VII - Kaiserreich
Chapter VII - Kaiserreich
(1867)

Military%2BOrder%2BCelebration%2527%2Bby%2BSiegmund%2BL%2527Allemand.jpg

The Congress of Vienna, also known as the Schönbrunn Congress
In September, delegations from all over the Confederation gathered in Vienna to discuss the future of Germany. German nationalist fervor, that has been on a steady rise since the Schleswig war has finally reached its boiling point, and in the Great Gallery of the Schönbrunn Palace, Franz Josef declared both the Austrian Empire and the German Confederation defunct, and accepted the title of Emperor of Germany, to the standing ovation of the delegations, as all present sang the Kaiserhymne. The German Empire was born on September 22 1867.

The congress sent shockwaves throughout Europe, as most great powers did not expect German nationalism to be this strong, mostly believing that the Confederation will keep limping on as a loose alliance. Now, however, they had to face the new balance of power.

Prussia
As Austrian and allied forces withdrew from the streets of Berlin, they gave their place to protesters, whose anger was aimed at both Bismarck and the King, who brought the country into the confrontation. The government fell in short order and King William, fearing that the nation might succumb to civil war, or outright fall to a liberal revolution, abdicated the throne. Bismarck was exiled, living the rest of his days in England. King Frederick III, leader of Prussian forces during the war, and outspoken critic of Bismarck's policy of German unification by force took the throne in a rather docile ceremony. Being a liberal, a man of peace and a German nationalist at heart, he was well received, and his coronation eased most of the tensions in the country. Still, the government was still in a very bad place. Having lost their richest provinces along with the industry, and finding themselves outside of the Confederation and the Zollverein, Prussia was little more than a secondary power. As Franz Josef was crowned Emperor in the fall of 1867, crowds took to the streets chanting nationalist slogans, and singing the Kaiserhymne. The government itself was divided on the next course of action, but the king stepped up. In a fiery speech delivered before the Landtag, he proclaimed that the future of the German people must not be put on the line for petty squabbles and that his firm belief is that brother should never shed a brother's blood even again. With that he sought the government's approval for Prussia to petition to join the German Empire. The petition passed shortly, and Berlin erupted in celebration. The Prussian petition was well received in Vienna, where the Emperor met the King in early November. As it was concluded, Prussia officially joined the German Empire on January 1 1868. It was also the date when the official flag of the empire was adopted, which is in use to this day, the horizontal black-gold-black, symbolizing the ties to the Holy Roman Empire, and combining the Habsburg black and gold with Prussian black. While the Confederation's black-red-gold was proposed, Franz Josef objected, as it had ties to various liberal movements, including the ill-fated "German Empire" of 1849. The new flag was to symbolize continuity along with being a well-known symbol of Germany since the middle ages.

France
Emperor Napoleon and his court received the news of a united Germany with apathy. The window of opportunity for military intervention was now closed, and all France could do was watch the behemoth spread its wings. Indeed, some French historians argued that the window of opportunity closed on the field of Palestro, and ever since then, France was just flowing with the events. Be that as it may, the Empire still had its dignity, and was looking to spread her influence wherever possible. Half of Italy was after all under French influence and Germany did not seem to want to contest expansion in Africa and the Far East. In fact, some, like Henri La Tour d'Auvergne we on the opinion that the Treaty of Bern allowed France to pursue a more vigorous colonial policy, at the expense of Britain. D'Auvergne was the one who urged regular high level meetings with Germany to ensure that there are as few conflicts of interest as possible, especially in Europe. Over the years, this meant that as long as France did not want to meddle with the status quo in Italy, Germany was mostly supportive of their African expansion (a well-known example of this was the Agadir Agreement much later). France also sought to expand their sphere of influence wherever still possible, most notably Spain, which was slowly coming under French political and economic influence.

Russia
The Congress of Vienna came of no surprise to Russia, although the fast pace of German unification did raise some heads in Moscow, and some argued that supporting the creation of such a juggernaut might have been a bad idea. The Czar however was looking elsewhere. After the compromise with the Poles, he considered Russia's western flank to be secure and sought to expand his influence in the Balkans. And that he did, as the rising nationalism on the peninsula was an extremely fertile ground for Russian influence. The powder keg only needed a spark, and the Czar was holding a torch.

England
If anything, Britain was divided on the German issue. Some argued that the new German empire would soon challenge Britain's place under the sun. Other dismissed it saying that Germany can never be fully united. What caused more concern was France's seeming lack of interest, and the Conference of Bern was interpreted by many as France securing their German border to better confront Britain. After all, once a Bonaparte, always a Bonaparte. As a response, extensive fortifications were built in the south, partly to deter any invasion attempts, and partly to calm the people. What cause even more concern was Russia's expansion. Being already in almost constant confrontation in Central Asia, some argued that Britain should go to war over the annexation of Galicia. However, Galicia was viewed as a worthless backwater and one could hardly convince the people that an exchange of a few quarter miles of swamplands in the middle of the steppe is worth going to war over. Nevertheless, the number of British agents in the Hindukush swiftly increased, as the Russophobes in London were banging their drums. Confrontation was more of a possibility than ever.

Scandinavia
Denmark's constitutional monarchy was rather recent when Schleswig-Holstein was lost to the Germans. Thus, a crisis soon followed, where Christian IX attempted to keep order in the country. Some argue that if not for Swedish king Charles XV's military and political support during the war, Christian might have kept the throne. We will never know, as the image of Swedish and Norwegian soldiers arriving in Danish ports had a profound effect in Denmark and all of Scandinavia, even if their actual support did not mean much - the war was over before they could be deployed in the field. However, the already blossoming Scandinavian movements gained great momentum after the war, and during the bloodless Autumn Revolution, king Christian was forced to abdicate as the army joined the protesters. Shortly after, king Charles XV of Sweden was invited to the throne, and the long diplomatic process of Scandinavian unification started. By spring a common constitution was accepted, and the Scandinavian Federation was born, uniting Sweden, Norway and Denmark into a new state under one king.

Last edited:
Let me know what you think. By the way, the flag in question:
german_flag_by_houseofhesse-d92no5a.png

I'm not ashamed to admit that I went with this because it's sexy as hell. I hope the explanation for it is still plausible though.

So far the only major problem I have with this TL is the surrender of Lombardia. That's something I think would never happen willingly, ever, at all, under any circumstances. I cannot overstate how much resistance there would be to this from Austria. Lombardia has been a Habsburg Territory for literal Centuries at this point, and is the focal point of any attempt to Unite Italy, in addition to being a rich territory. There would be even more resistance to giving it to a Bonaparte and even more resistance to giving it to Piedmont. Keep in mind that this is a territory that Austria has fought, And Won, Decisively at that, Two Wars over in living memory against the people they are now expected to willingly surrender the territory to. It's also bad from a strategic standpoint because it means this new Piedmont-Lombardia is already a Wedge almost completely driven between Austria and Tuscany.

I think a more likely compromise would be;
* Austria evacuates Naples. Francis is reinstated as King, with France having authorization to occupy the Sicilies if further Revolutionary Activities happen. Francis will understand this, and has cultural ties to France anyways, so this means that France, having lost Sardinia-Piedmont for the reason below, will still get something out of it. It also placates the Royalists, who were significant opposition to Garibaldi, and who were likely loyal to Francis, not to just Monarchy in general.
* French Annexation of Savoy and Nice are recognized, whereas before it was simply Occupation that was recognized. Possibly throw in Sardinia as well. Either Way, Piedmont has its Independence and Neutrality guaranteed by both France and Austria. Even if it didn't, it will now be super angry with both Austria and France, which should prevent it from trying to befriend either of them, and can serve as a good way for Britain to cause trouble later to keep the TL Interesting.
* The Papal States are placed under Joint Protection between France and Austria. Both have significant Cultural Attachments to protecting The Pope. This is also a Compromise, since the most likely situation in the Papal States before this conference is Austrian Occupation of basically the Adriatic Half of the Papal States, which had been occupied as the Austrian Armies marched south to Naples. This Agreement declares that the Papal States will not in any way be Partitioned between France/Austria, because they will 'share'.

This results in a major "Neutral Zone" between the French and Austrian Spheres in Italy, where neither is top dog and with recognized participation from both to prevent feuding over it. France gets access to Sicilian Ports, which is extremely important for further Mediterranean Shenanigans and provides a good staging ground for actions in North Africa, in particular giving France ports very close to Egypt, though that latter part probably isn't realized yet, as France will want Sicilian Ports primarily to serve as a check against British Malta. Austria also gets to remove a potential drain on its treasury in the form of needing to have armies ready in Sicily to keep the peace, let France foot that bill.

No actual Territory is Ceded by either France or Austria, allowing them to keep their prestige. This also makes sense, since neither France nor Austria actually took any ground from the other in the last war.

The above is however just the International Diplomatic Situation. Austria can later decide to devolve control of Lombardia to the Tuscans as part of their decentralization policy. When that happens, France will almost assuredly be fine because it just gets Austria further away from France.

So far the only major problem I have with this TL is the surrender of Lombardia. That's something I think would never happen willingly, ever, at all, under any circumstances. I cannot overstate how much resistance there would be to this from Austria. Lombardia has been a Habsburg Territory for literal Centuries at this point, and is the focal point of any attempt to Unite Italy, in addition to being a rich territory. There would be even more resistance to giving it to a Bonaparte and even more resistance to giving it to Piedmont. Keep in mind that this is a territory that Austria has fought, And Won, Decisively at that, Two Wars over in living memory against the people they are now expected to willingly surrender the territory to. It's also bad from a strategic standpoint because it means this new Piedmont-Lombardia is already a Wedge almost completely driven between Austria and Tuscany.

* Austria evacuates Naples. Francis is reinstated as King, with France having authorization to occupy the Sicilies if further Revolutionary Activities happen. Francis will understand this, and has cultural ties to France anyways, so this means that France, having lost Sardinia-Piedmont for the reason below, will still get something out of it. It also placates the Royalists, who were significant opposition to Garibaldi, and who were likely loyal to Francis, not to just Monarchy in general.
* French Annexation of Savoy and Nice are recognized, whereas before it was simply Occupation that was recognized. Possibly throw in Sardinia as well. Either Way, Piedmont has its Independence and Neutrality guaranteed by both France and Austria. Even if it didn't, it will now be super angry with both Austria and France, which should prevent it from trying to befriend either of them, and can serve as a good way for Britain to cause trouble later to keep the TL Interesting.
* The Papal States are placed under Joint Protection between France and Austria. Both have significant Cultural Attachments to protecting The Pope. This is also a Compromise, since the most likely situation in the Papal States before this conference is Austrian Occupation of basically the Adriatic Half of the Papal States, which had been occupied as the Austrian Armies marched south to Naples. This Agreement declares that the Papal States will not in any way be Partitioned between France/Austria, because they will 'share'.

This results in a major "Neutral Zone" between the French and Austrian Spheres in Italy, where neither is top dog and with recognized participation from both to prevent feuding over it. France gets access to Sicilian Ports, which is extremely important for further Mediterranean Shenanigans and provides a good staging ground for actions in North Africa, in particular giving France ports very close to Egypt, though that latter part probably isn't realized yet, as France will want Sicilian Ports primarily to serve as a check against British Malta. Austria also gets to remove a potential drain on its treasury in the form of needing to have armies ready in Sicily to keep the peace, let France foot that bill.

No actual Territory is Ceded by either France or Austria, allowing them to keep their prestige. This also makes sense, since neither France nor Austria actually took any ground from the other in the last war.

The above is however just the International Diplomatic Situation. Austria can later decide to devolve control of Lombardia to the Tuscans as part of their decentralization policy. When that happens, France will almost assuredly be fine because it just gets Austria further away from France.
Thanks for this, it's extremely valuable input as I'm rather fuzzy on Italy as a whole. I will amend the Bern update tomorrow accordingly.

A French empire that has a secure eastern border is very bad news for Britain indeed.

I must say I agree with the choice of flag!

So two big unifications within a year or so, the balance of power must be even more shattered than OTL.

Keep it up!

Let me know what you think. By the way, the flag in question:
german_flag_by_houseofhesse-d92no5a.png

I'm not ashamed to admit that I went with this because it's sexy as hell. I hope the explanation for it is still plausible though.
Hmm, if you have those 2 colors you could as well add the red to have the German tricolor at this point(red which was also used in the naval and otherwise older flags of Austria and later in the dual monarchy), also I'd probably make it more golden than black and add the HRE bird in there as well, you can't be too humble with a 4 centuries imperial dynasty leading it.

Also isn't all of Silesia a bit too much to lose? IMO I think that would have shaken the balance way too much considering the loss of the Rhineland, IMO it would have more sense for Austria to take only the Catholic part of Silesia, which luckily for us had quite nice border and would be way better than have Austria rule over relatively solid majority Protestant areas, it also kinda breaks immersion how Prussia is able to accept that when IOTL Bismark had to tip toe around Austria to not anger them too much.

YvaWBSl.jpg

Also isn't all of Silesia a bit too much to lose? IMO I think that would have shaken the balance way too much considering the loss of the Rhineland, IMO it would have more sense for Austria to take only the Catholic part of Silesia, which luckily for us had quite nice border and would be way better than have Austria rule over relatively solid majority Protestant areas, it also kinda breaks immersion how Prussia is able to accept that when IOTL Bismark had to tip toe around Austria to not anger them too much.

YvaWBSl.jpg
My understanding was that, at least during the OTL Austro-Prussian wa,r Austria expected to take all of Silesia if they had been victorious.

My understanding was that, at least during the OTL Austro-Prussian wa,r Austria expected to take all of Silesia if they had been victorious.
I'm skeptical of that, Silesia as a whole is quite a landgrab for the 19th century, especially considering the other demands put.

It's a significantly smaller Landgrab than the one Prussia made historically wherein it Outright Annexed the Kingdom of Hanover and the Duchies of Schleiswig-Holstein and effectively annexed all of Northern Germany.

Ultimately, there really isn't anyone to object to this who can actually do anything about it. France has recently been soundly defeated by Austria alone, and Russia is Austria's declared Ally and Supporter in this, in return for Austria supporting them in the Balkans. Britain can do nothing on the continent without an Ally, and the only other Great Power they could ally with is Prussia, who has just been smashed into the dirt. Scandinavia might have been able to do something if they had united a decade or two earlier, and Italy is a mess that is mostly already occupied by Austria.

It's a significantly smaller Landgrab than the one Prussia made historically wherein it Outright Annexed the Kingdom of Hanover and the Duchies of Schleiswig-Holstein and effectively annexed all of Northern Germany.
If we talk about effective annexation, Austria just annexed Germany so that point is moot, also Prussia annexing Hannover is not directly comparable to Austria not only annexing Silesia(which is a lot in itself) but also creating a Rhineland puppet(which possibly also has all of the Ruhr or Westphalia?), Silesia not only has almost 2 times the population of Hannover(which could be offset by considering the Prussian annexation of Slesvig, Hessen and Nassau) but also is more important economically, if you add Rhineland on top of it seems to become excessive.

Plus good borders = better, also mind that in Hannover the population wasn't exactly happy to become part of Prussia and many kept on voting for autonomist parties up to WW1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-Hanoverian_Party
While this isn't going to be the case in Silesia, I still think this type of annexation would be a bit excessive, especially considering I think that the other participants on the Austrian side would be more in the position to get something(like Saxony)

Also it isn't about foreign support or opposition, it's about making peace with Prussia, not insult it by stripping half of their land, with the ancestral territory of their family on top of it, it makes such a quick unification unrealistic when Prussia had to have a war to barely convince the southern states to join on top of bribes.

Last edited:
Hmm, if you have those 2 colors you could as well add the red to have the German tricolor at this point(red which was also used in the naval and otherwise older flags of Austria and later in the dual monarchy), also I'd probably make it more golden than black and add the HRE bird in there as well, you can't be too humble with a 4 centuries imperial dynasty leading it.
I just found it on deviantart, I'm not what you would call a photoshop expert I'm afraid. I also found this, which I found very nice. If anyone can help with maps and flags I would be very grateful.

Fair point, but consider that Prussia is way more severely beaten here than Austria was at Königgrätz. Think on the level of Sedan, especially since Berlin is also taken. As for Rheinland and Westphalen, they fall to a revolution as Berlin is taken. I thought this might be plausible as a defeated Prussia will not be readmitted to a new Zollverein and that is extremely bad news for the industrialists in the Rheinland. So riding the waves of nationalism, they put their influence behind the protesters, in order to stay in the Confederation. I thought this makes sense, but let me know if it's too dumb :)

As for the annexation of Silesia: it was a valid Austrian claim and I think they would have annexed it even if they win at Königgrätz OTL. Religion is not much of an issue at this point, otherwise Prussia could not have annexed Bavaria.

Any divergence in Mexico?
Not yet, Maximilian went there and died as OTL. There will be butterflies shortly, as greater French meddling in Spain will lead to divergences with the Spanish-American War.

I have also edited Chapter VI's Bern Convention as follows:

The Bern Convention would create the new order in Italy, and in some sense, Europe. France and Austria would agree on the following:
- Austrian forces evacuate Naples, and King Francis is restored to the throne and France is given the authority to occupy the Sicilies if further revolutionary activities happen.
- French annexation of Savoy, Nice and Sardinia are recognized by Austria
- The Papal States come under the joint protection of Austria and France, both guaranteeing their independence
- Tuscany annexes Parma, Modena and Lucca. While nominally also neutral, Tuscany would in reality be in the Habsburg sphere of influence
- Venice and Lombardy remain in the empire

Thanks to @JCVocke for the valuable input on a more realistic Italian partition.

Edit: I was writing this comment before the change in Italy.

I agree on that note, the Hapsburg hold the territory for more than 3 centuries know, they will hold on it tight and I think that instead of having Lombardy be part of the French state it would make more sense for it to be part of Tuscany if it has to leave Austria at all(I think Tuscany and others had Habsburg in power anyway?).

I like the idea of Mediterranean power France with control of all the islands, but I can't help seeing it as a counterweight against France which Austria might not want, not sure though that would influence the Austrian to push for something else, maybe it is actually some 4d chess move that would be good in the long run.

Although I find hard to see Piedmont survive, at this point I'd have France annex Aosta, some border areas, and occupy the rest(possibly restoring some of old parts of Austrian Lombardia?), I surely wouldn't think anyone would create a kingdom of Italy when you plan to have the region occupied and divided long term, but I kinda have problem with my suggestion of occupied Piedmont as well, I can't see France or Austria annexing it, but I don't see allowing it to exist under the Savoiards, I think a Bonoparte ruled puppet Piedmont state could work, at least for the Austrians and France while kinda ignoring the locals.

I disagree...well partly disagree...

I agree that neither France nor Austria would want to see a continued Principality of Piedmont (as the Savoyard state would be reduced to) ruled by the Savoyards (either the Carignano branch where VEII, Umberto or Amadeo are from, or the Genoese branch led by Tommaso.) I do not however see Austria accepting a Bonaparte on the throne of Piedmont however. Personally, I can see a compromise solution in the form of the Parmese Bourbons (Robert I of Piedmont anyone?)

But I do agree, if Austria does decide to state that Lombardy isn't worth it, they could transfer it, as well as the Iron Crown to the Grand Duke, have a Habsburg retain the Italian throne via that branch. I'm not to concerned about the Modenese losing their throne, Francis V IOTL died without an heir anyway, and with a Habsburg on the Italian throne, he could transfer his rights formally to him.

Good grief we're going to make Ferdinand IV a very powerful man.

I just found it on deviantart, I'm not what you would call a photoshop expert I'm afraid. I also found this, which I found very nice. If anyone can help with maps and flags I would be very grateful.

Fair point, but consider that Prussia is way more severely beaten here than Austria was at Königgrätz. Think on the level of Sedan, especially since Berlin is also taken. As for Rheinland and Westphalen, they fall to a revolution as Berlin is taken. I thought this might be plausible as a defeated Prussia will not be readmitted to a new Zollverein and that is extremely bad news for the industrialists in the Rheinland. So riding the waves of nationalism, they put their influence behind the protesters, in order to stay in the Confederation. I thought this makes sense, but let me know if it's too dumb :)

As for the annexation of Silesia: it was a valid Austrian claim and I think they would have annexed it even if they win at Königgrätz OTL. Religion is not much of an issue at this point, otherwise Prussia could not have annexed Bavaria.
I do think Austria would have annexed portions of it, the problem is though that you had Prussia virtually collapse on all fronts, losing all of their lands which is especially strange, I'd have done something with milder Austrian annexations, Rhineland including only the Rhineland and not Westfalen and had other states gain something from the war as well, to be more convinced to join Austria, for example Saxony(that has more recent claims compared to Austria).

The idea behind this different peace deal would be to actually make it realistic for Prussia to join this state, even with a Sedan like peace the demands there are more hostilities inducing than what you would think would lead to a durable peace between Prussia and Austria, also I imagine the Russians and French while not exactly able to militarily contest the decision, they would at least push for a more balanced situation in the empire.

This is what I think a possible peace would look like:

A8Vwl2M.png

Why does Prussia retain Westfalia? Because they ruled portions of it for 3 centuries(Kleves,Mark for example) and because I think it could be used as a bargain against a insular Prussia post-war, same reasoning with ancestral Hohenzollern territory, this would tie the Prussians to the rest of the empire instead of allowing them to effectively isolate themselves, which they can do considering they lost all their industrial regions and are left with a relatively rural region. This situation would force Prussia to cooperate and also be more general acceptable for a more balanced situation, especially from the religious perspective, we don't want Protestant states to feel encircled by this Austria that is directly supporting and being supported by the Papal State. Also I think the borders are good, I hope that's not just me, lol.

I also had Brunswick annexed, I think they shared the same dynasty with Hannover and considering they have been quite pro-Prussian a couple of times I think Hannover would just annex it to unite their territories, same goes for Lippe. Also does Austria control Schelswig-Holstein as of now?

I also had Brunswick annexed, I think they shared the same dynasty with Hannover and considering they have been quite pro-Prussian a couple of times I think Hannover would just annex it to unite their territories, same goes for Lippe. Also does Austria control Schelswig-Holstein as of now?

Austria would control Schleswig-Holstein for the moment. I believe that the dispute was one of the cassus belli (if not the cassus belli) that led to the war happening.

What about kingdom of Saxony? Since they are allied with Austria, why would it not regain any territory lost to Prussia at congress of Vienna. I think other allies of Austria would also needed to be rewarded.