The Great Crusade (Reds! Part 3)

nice look into the timeline of 1942 and early 1943 for Europe and Asia. Look forward to getting more information of South America

8 March 1943: Entente intelligence intercepts evidence of Spanish designs on Portugal. Neutral, but firmly allied with the UK, both Hitler and Sanjurjo wish remove the wayward Integralist state as a possible entry point into the Continent. Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery begins plans for invasion, as the civilian government begins high level covert talks with Salazar.
I must remind that Salazar was a republican ultraconservative and not an Integralist and had a very bad relation with Integralists. Their views differed a lot in terms of popular representation and system of government. It would be hard to have them cooperating since it would mean a King with strong powers and Salazar wouldn't accept a minor role.

I must remind that Salazar was a republican ultraconservative and not an Integralist and had a very bad relation with Integralists. Their views differed a lot in terms of popular representation and system of government. It would be hard to have them cooperating since it would mean a King with strong powers and Salazar wouldn't accept a minor role.
Fixed. One Estado Novo seems to bleed into the next, lol.

I think it will be more satisfying to see a more straight up timeline discussion through excerpts of a general high school textbook about World War II. Making it brief can do the trick.

Then, we can also discuss American politics and society of the World War era but of course, it has to be in some continuity from the recent revision updates, which remains to be not fully linked with the Great Crusade yet.

There is definitely a lot of ground to discuss here, but you alone, Jello, cannot simply cover them up fully in a short amount of time. But if you want to finish things more quickly, do your previous style in old Reds! and make things more brief.

Along the way, write something about international relations and the formation of the FBU and the UN.

Then, get going with the South American and African theaters of the war. :)

Last edited:
I think it will be more satisfying to see a more straight up timeline discussion through excerpts of a general high school textbook about World War II. Making it brief can do the trick.

Then, we can also discuss American politics and society of the World War era but of course, it has to be in some continuity from the recent revision updates, which remains to be not fully linked with the Great Crusade yet.

There is definitely a lot of ground to discuss here, but you alone, Jello, cannot simply cover them up fully in a short amount of time. But if you want to finish things more quickly, do your previous style in old Reds! and make things more brief.

Along the way, write something about international relations and the formation of the FBU and the UN.

Then, get going with the South American and African theaters of the war. :)

I think the formation of the FBU was covered already, although the only the formation, and how they consolidated their armies.

I'd like to see more about the Middle East. The PFLP driving the Nazis out of the Holy Land sounds like something out of a movie - the Jews and Arabs coming together to destroy a greater threat.

More in-timeline discussion would be great - I love the "scrapbook" approach that the first two threads had.

Also, more about American culture during wartime. TTL's version of Casablanca would be interesting...

I wonder what Oskar Schindler's up to?

I'd like to see more about the Middle East. The PFLP driving the Nazis out of the Holy Land sounds like something out of a movie - the Jews and Arabs coming together to destroy a greater threat.

More in-timeline discussion would be great - I love the "scrapbook" approach that the first two threads had.

Also, more about American culture during wartime. TTL's version of Casablanca would be interesting...

I wonder what Oskar Schindler's up to?

One of the potential ideas I had for a Reds fanfic was a large Casablanca homage, with Humphrey Bogart (whose acting career never took off, and instead went into the Red Army during the Civil War, and later the Abe Lincoln Brigade during the Spanish Civil War) running a small bar in the Spanish Soviet as a front for American intelligence, and encountering a Swedish actress named Ingrid Bergman, fleeing from the Nazi. I don't think I'll write 1.) I haven't seen Casablanca yet, and 2.) I do know what it's about, but I wouldn't know how to homage it using that set-up.

One of the potential ideas I had for a Reds fanfic was a large Casablanca homage, with Humphrey Bogart (whose acting career never took off, and instead went into the Red Army during the Civil War, and later the Abe Lincoln Brigade during the Spanish Civil War) running a small bar in the Spanish Soviet as a front for American intelligence, and encountering a Swedish actress named Ingrid Bergman, fleeing from the Nazi. I don't think I'll write 1.) I haven't seen Casablanca yet, and 2.) I do know what it's about, but I wouldn't know how to homage it using that set-up.
"In all the tapas bars, in all the towns, in all Catalonia... she walks into mine."

You should watch it, it's a good film. There's also this perfect little scene in it where Rick gets asked what his nationality is and he replies 'I'm a drunkard' and Captain Renault responds 'that makes Rick a citizen of the world'. That would have much different connotations in revolutionary Spain than occupied Morocco. :p

I would guess that Guyana and the Caribbean islands also break for Free France out of a sense of self-preservation, although they may initially try and present themselves as neutral just in case the Axis win...
It seems like that would be difficult to pull off in French Guiana's case, with Brazil right to its south. Any sign that French Guiana might flip to the Allies could potentially lead to Brazil sending troops in to ensure that the French State aligned government stays in power.

I think Brazil would attack them first,forcing them to side with Free France.
It seems like that would be difficult to pull off in French Guiana's case, with Brazil right to its south. Any sign that French Guiana might flip to the Allies could potentially lead to Brazil sending troops in to ensure that the French State aligned government stays in power.

I think Brazil would attack them first,forcing them to side with Free France.
Given The_Red_Star_Rising's post, I'm assuming the situation in French Guiana in 1942 is similar to after the fall of France in OTL. Given the French State supporting government in place as well as the fact that they have other fronts to worry about, the Brazilian Integralists may not feel the need to invade, at least not right away. What I could see happening is that as time passes protests and resistance against the Petainist government prompts Salgado to send troops in, ostensibly to assist local authorities in quelling dissent and hunting down the resistance, but at the same time plans are drawn up to forcibly take over should the need arise. These plans are put into effect once it becomes clear that the French State is on its deathbed.