The great cities that were never built (many giant images)

Actually it's kind of an exaggeration that San Francisco is superhilly, it's just that the city is rugged (as in, not flat), but it's surprisingly easy to avoid major hills in SF. And most of the grid in the Burnham Plan is actually there OTL, what isn't is many of those boulevards that zig-zag all over the place.
Well I Recognized the eastern half of SF but the undeveloped hilly area in that image isn't really that way is it? It's all gridded over. Oh, and SF is super-hilly by US standards.

Oh, and SF is super-hilly by US standards.

Only if you don't have THIGHS OF STEEL.

But in all serious pants, I personally am not a fan of strict box grids from an aesthetic viewpoint. If I was a crazed emperor/dictator/guy with a lot of money, I would do something closer to Detroit's plan that I made in the first post. I love baroque pattern streets with lots of Flatirons type corners. Ive been thinking about cranking up sketchup soon and designing a city like that, problem is it keep exploding when my cities get too huge.

But in all serious pants, I personally am not a fan of strict box grids from an aesthetic viewpoint. If I was a crazed emperor/dictator/guy with a lot of money, I would do something closer to Detroit's plan that I made in the first post. I love baroque pattern streets with lots of Flatirons type corners. Ive been thinking about cranking up sketchup soon and designing a city like that, problem is it keep exploding when my cities get too huge.
When you said thighs of steel I was thinking "he's about to make some stupid Pittsburgh reference". but anyways Why would you make DETROIT have an awesome streetplan? Why not some other city that isn't poor as Mali?

When you said thighs of steel I was thinking "he's about to make some stupid Pittsburgh reference". but anyways Why would you make DETROIT have an awesome streetplan? Why not some other city that isn't poor as Mali?

Do it early enough and maybe the awesome street plan can save Detroit? Part of the reason Detroit sucks is because its dominated by highways and has crappy transit.

FDW

Banned
Well I Recognized the eastern half of SF but the undeveloped hilly area in that image isn't really that way is it? It's all gridded over. Oh, and SF is super-hilly by US standards.

No, much of that undeveloped area was developed OTL. And again, I wouldn't say that SF is hilly, it has constant changes in elevation, but the "hills" aren't really all that prominent in my view.

No, really, it's actually rather easy to avoid the worst SF's grades if you know what you're doing.

FDW

Banned
I always thought that San Francisco was like Minas Tireth.

No, it's not like that at all for the most part. I would say that Seattle is far worse than San Francisco when it come hills and their placement.

I like grids. Grids are logical, easy to understand, and efficient. Anything else ends up with a mess and hard to cross streets where you get lost.

I like grids. Grids are logical, easy to understand, and efficient. Anything else ends up with a mess and hard to cross streets where you get lost.

But they're so booooring. Plus if you make the blocks too big, you need diagonal streets. I personally like Le-Enfant style plans the most especially when combined with transit systems.

Found another one: what if New York city never had its strict grid instituted and the roads were based on existing farm roads?

a95mP.jpg

I'm surprised no one brought up San Francisco's post-1906 plans to pimp itself out with new boulevards and civic infrastructure.

In the first picture: When you look in the bottom right corner of the big dome you can see a smaller dome, that's the Reichstag. The entire Tiergarten would be gone.

No, it's not like that at all for the most part. I would say that Seattle is far worse than San Francisco when it come hills and their placement.
Yessirree. Same with Tacoma as well.

snow-hill.jpg

Saving grace: we're lucky enough that in most areas, the streets are relatively level and the crossstreets are hills.

Christopher Wren's plan for rebuilding the City of London after the Great Fire:

1666wren.jpg

(Those great avenues would have looked like rollercoasters)

The nazi plan to raze 90% of Warsaw and turn what was left into a quaint little german province town:

595px-The_Pabst_Plan_Warsaw_1.jpg

(After the Warsaw uprising it was updated to Raze Everything In Warsaw)

Not remembered much today, but after in September of 1945, there were plans for major urban redevelopment in downtown Toledo, Ohio. In fact, Norman Bel Geddes of Futurama Car Show fame was contracted to draw up plans, and actually built a model for the proposed "Toledo Tomorrow".

Picture 1: A closeup of the downtown area looking roughly north from the Anthony Wayne Suspension Bridge towards the downtown. One of the main features of the redevelopment would be the construction of an airport downtown (visible in second photo).
GEDDES_1945_Toledo_Central_Station.jpeg

Photo 2: Geddes plan called for a new Union Terminal (the old one having burned down before the war, to which many Toledo citizens cheered on as the hated building burned to the ground), which would combine bus terminal, airport, and rail station into one area, rather than have them spread over the city.
NBG_job_525_DiDb_31691.jpg

Photo 3: This image shows the model from the east side of Toledo to the Northwest (roughly) of what development would look like there.
toltomorrow.jpg

Photo 4: An article on the proposed redevelopment showing some of the main areas which would be affected.
NBG_Toledo2.jpg

FDW

Banned
Not remembered much today, but after in September of 1945, there were plans for major urban redevelopment in downtown Toledo, Ohio. In fact, Norman Bel Geddes of Futurama Car Show fame was contracted to draw up plans, and actually built a model for the proposed "Toledo Tomorrow".

Picture 1: A closeup of the downtown area looking roughly north from the Anthony Wayne Suspension Bridge towards the downtown. One of the main features of the redevelopment would be the construction of an airport downtown (visible in second photo).

Photo 2: Geddes plan called for a new Union Terminal (the old one having burned down before the war, to which many Toledo citizens cheered on as the hated building burned to the ground), which would combine bus terminal, airport, and rail station into one area, rather than have them spread over the city.

Photo 3: This image shows the model from the east side of Toledo to the Northwest (roughly) of what development would look like there.

Photo 4: An article on the proposed redevelopment showing some of the main areas which would be affected.

That would've been horrible…

Plan from Le Corbusier (Plan Voisin) to make Paris a "radious city".

6a00d8341c82d353ef0162fbcfc50b970d-800wi

Bigger view there

Corbusier__Contemporary_city_for_3_mil_central_station_105.JPG

19_1925_petit_2.jpg

The reason? "Because gigantic towers are fucking awesome!". Basically this.

We do know how joyful and pretty is to living in gigantic, squared towers today of course...

In all the history of crap architects and I'm including Albert Speer Le Corbusier has done the most harm.

In all the history of crap architects and I'm including Albert Speer Le Corbusier has done the most harm.

I think Le Corbusier was very important for teaching us what NOT to do. At the time everyone thought cars were the shit, so instead of designing cities for people, they designed cities for cars. We still unfortunately do that today, though there are some counter movements. I think he was a good architect, but he was also the first to try some new things that we now know are mostly wrong.

Albert Speer was just really unoriginal and I feel like he would have been a decent architect in an OTL world without Hitler.

As an urbanist, indeed (although the Plan Voisin is the most misunderstood joke in architectural history). As an architect, he was nothing short of a genius. Albert Speer was a pathetic dwarf compared to him, someone with a truly disgusting concept of architecture.