The Gold Rose: An Edward of Angoulême timeline

Year of the Three Edwards
Year of the Three Edwards
From alt-Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Year of the Three Edwards, or the Year of the Three Kings, refers to the year 1377 in English history. The year is considered memorable because of the deaths of two kings in quick succession, leading to three monarchs of the same name in the same year. The three kings who reigned over England in 1377 were Edward III, Edward IV and Edward V.

Background
Edward III became king of England following the abdication of his father, Edward II, in 1327. He was only 14 years old and, as a minor, he served as a figurehead for the rule of Roger Mortimer, 1st earl of March. Edward III took personal control of royal government in 1330 and reigned until his death in 1377. In that time, he led successful campaigns in Scotland and declared himself the rightful king of France, setting off the Hundred Years War. His eldest son and heir, Edward of Woodstock, prince of Wales, better known as the Black Prince, was celebrated for his military leadership on campaigns in France and Castile, winning unlikely victories at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356 and the Battle of Nájera in 1367. The Black Prince was 47 in 1377. He had two sons, the eldest of which was Edward of Angoulême, age 12.

Rapid succession
Edward III suffered a major stroke late in the spring of 1377 and died on 21 June. He was succeeded by the Black Prince, who became Edward IV. The military successes of his youth made Edward IV popular with the higher nobility despite a recent feud with parliament, but he had been in ill health for nearly a decade by the time of his father's death.

Edward IV still accomplished some of his duties as king despite his illness. A coronation was planned for 6 August to coincide with the Feast of the Transfiguration. The traditional rubric for the coronation of an English king was revised to stress the authority of the monarch and consecrate the line of succession with the investiture of Angoulême as prince of Wales. Already too ill to ride a horse, the long ceremony so taxed the king's fragile health that he had to be wrapped in a cloth of gold and nailed into a carriage so that he did not topple over on the ride to the Tower from Westminster Abbey. He was bedridden for the remainder of his reign and died after 100 days of rule on 29 September. Angoulême then succeeded to the throne as Edward V.

Aftermath
The deaths of Edward III and Edward IV threw the kingdom into disarray. Edward III's health had appeared to be mending early in the spring, and he had been well enough in April to attend the annual festivities of the Order of the Garter, where he knighted his grandson, Angoulême. Edward IV had successfully hidden the seriousness of his condition since his return to England in 1371. He had managed a practically vacant household and kept all but the most necessary figures away, appearing in public only in times of improved health. His attendance of the 1376 parliament had given him the appearance of a healthy man. Their deaths in quick succession therefore shocked the country, depressing English morale amid renewed hostilities with France and causing legal chaos, as writs issued in their names to diplomats and military commanders carried no authority after their deaths.

The succession of the 12-year-old Edward V required a regency government. In accordance with plans drawn up by Edward IV before his death, the responsibilities for the government and person of Edward V were divided between two of Edward IV's surviving brothers: John of Gaunt, duke of Lancaster, was made lord regent and managed the government of the realm while Edmund of Langley, 1st duke of Aumale, was made lord protector and managed the welfare of Edward V as the king's guardian.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm really enjoying this format. Its unique and not one that I've seen used before - so keep it up. As someone who falls down WIki-Rabbit Holes often ... I get it :) I'm going to look forward to seeing where this goes, and good luck on your first timeline!

Really excited for this timeline. I vote for Edward IV's brief reign to see next. I hope England ends up winning the Hundred Years War. I'd like to see an Anglo-French union. Granted, no Richard II in this timeline likely means no Henry IV, which means no Henry V, who was the best chance, unless Edward V just goes off.

Okay, I'm really enjoying this format. Its unique and not one that I've seen used before - so keep it up. As someone who falls down WIki-Rabbit Holes often ... I get it :) I'm going to look forward to seeing where this goes, and good luck on your first timeline!
Oooh, this is an exciting AU and a very original way of telling the story. I look forward to seeing where this goes!
Thank you both. I was quite pleased with myself when I thought of this format, so I'm glad you like it 😄

Really excited for this timeline. I vote for Edward IV's brief reign to see next. I hope England ends up winning the Hundred Years War. I'd like to see an Anglo-French union. Granted, no Richard II in this timeline likely means no Henry IV, which means no Henry V, who was the best chance, unless Edward V just goes off.
Time will tell :coldsweat:

Although not the next timeline I thought I was going to see you post, I was definitely intrigued when you mentioned this as the alternative.

A solid start and looking forward where we go from here (voted also for King of the Hundred Days, though it seems to be noted as Princes in the Tower on the straw poll, hmmmmm)

Keep it up man, this promises to be a good 'un.

A solid start and looking forward where we go from here (voted also for King of the Hundred Days, though it seems to be noted as Princes in the Tower on the straw poll, hmmmmm)
Ah, that's what I get for making an edit right before publishing 😓 I wasn't sure what to call Edward IV's brief, bedridden reign and liked the idea of repurposing familiar OTL phrases for the ATL articles. Option two will cover the political events of Edward IV's reign, regardless of what it's called!

*slides Violant of Bar to @material_boy along with ten dollars*
I'm afraid she'll need a bigger dowry than that! 🤣

I look forward to seeing how this develops. Great start, and looking forward to more!

I voted for Bad Parliament. Gotta keep everything chronological 😛

This looks great! A fascinating idea and an interesting format. The best of luck and can't wait to see this TL develop.

I wonder how the rabbit hole method of writing will work out because when I'm scrolling through wikipedia, at the end I'm always too far removed from what I originally started with.

I look forward to seeing how this develops. Great start, and looking forward to more!

I voted for Bad Parliament. Gotta keep everything chronological 😛
You know, the only con I had to doing it this way was that posting non-chronologically may kill my OCD, but I decided to embrace the chaos 😄

This looks great! A fascinating idea and an interesting format. The best of luck and can't wait to see this TL develop.
Thank you! Hopefully the format works in the long run.

I wonder how the rabbit hole method of writing will work out because when I'm scrolling through wikipedia, at the end I'm always too far removed from what I originally started with.
I wonder too :coldsweat:

Love this new idea for a format...would you be OK if I used it for a TL later on?
Regardless of your answer it is a very interesting POD and hopefully people involved here end up happier than IOTL