The German-French Entente (Or: Napoleon II Lives)

This is part of a broader timeline that aims to satisfy both France and Germany as regards their holdings in Europe, to balance their relative power, and to form a "Continental Entente" between the two powers. We've seen a million German-wank or French-wank timelines, I want something a little different.

Rough Sketch:

POD: Napoleon II is a somewhat more vital and healthy man of liberal leanings and high intelligence and ability. In 1830, seeing his chance, he escapes and makes his way back to France. He is shortly proclaimed Emperor of France. (Working off stuff from this thread.)

Using his name as a card to play as regards the resumption of war in Europe he forces through a modified Talleyrand-Wellington partition plan[1] with the following modifications to satisfy the British—Dunkirk & district to the Netherlands, and roughly the province of Liége east of the city Liége to the Netherlands so that the Netherlands retain a direct connection to newly annexed Luxembourg (instead of being in personal union). It makes for an oddly shaped Netherlands, but it has been a long time since the Netherlands could hope to stave off outside threats on their lonesome anyway.

This makes Napoleon II wildly popular both in France, having traded Dunkirk in return for Walloon, and in the Netherlands (who are happy enough not to be ruling many French speaking people while not losing Flanders, as looked like it was going to happen).

Napoleon II concentrates his time and effort on domestic reform during the following decades, including marrying (who?) and fathering a son. The course of Europe is not changed much so far—Netherlands and France are more prosperous and are embarked on liberal reform—but the events of 1848 will drastically change the course of Europe.

(Aside: I'd love to have a united liberal Germany, but nothing I've done should change the Prussian King's mind I'm afraid. Still it seems as if he considered the offer….)

In Italy as 1848 sparks France moves quickly to support the liberal revolutionaries, seeing an opportunity to break Austrian dominance in the area. Notably French troops demand and gain access through Sardinia-Piedmont to support the newly (re)formed Most Serene Republic of Venice along with the Provisional Republic of Lombardy with General Radetzky of Austria attempting to withdraw to the Quadrilatero but early success in Milan delays his withdrawal long enough for his eventual escape to be with relatively few troops.

Meanwhile the Roman Republic has seized the Papal States and taken the city of Rome with Garibaldi leading most of their limited forces. The French reaction is limited to the demand that the Pope remain untouched and the Vatican remain inviolate. They offer no opinion on the Pope's temporal lands.

Sardinia-Piedmont remains loudly neutral, allowing French access to the north-east of Italy under protest. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies is essentially out of this game, keeping their peace.

Austria is dealing with their own problems and can't reinforce their Italian possessions enough to throw French forces out although even outnumbered General Radetzky remains more than able to beat off attacks on his position. It takes a few months but France and Austria sign a peace treaty, leaving the Most Serene Republic and Lombardy independent[2].

France shifts a few troops south to specifically guard the Pope's safety while making no comment on the Roman Republic which has decided to adopt much of the original Roman Republic's trappings instead of using more modern examples like the United Provinces.

Meanwhile in the German Confederation—what, exactly? As per OTL or can we unify part of Germany or what? Experts requested. France/Netherlands have been conducting wide-reaching domestic reform in a liberal direction, and France has enough forces to intervene in both Germany and Italy if needed.

That's it so far. Tear it apart, folks :). It will remain at least this rough for a while as I have another timeline to work on, but I do want to keep plugging away at this one from time to time. It's not my area of expertise, so I appreciate any help.

[1] This will have various consequences in the Netherlands of course. All kinds of fun ones, actually.

[2] What would happen to Lombardy? Join Venice, stay independent (republic or kingdom?), join Sardinia-Piedmont?