Status
Not open for further replies.
The Domino Effect Part 2: Hail Mary, Full of Grace
The Domino Effect Part 2: Hail Mary, Full of Grace
With Russia's exit from the war, the Allies began to panic. Suddenly, hundreds of divisions were on the move to other fronts. There was no doubt among them that the Germans would reinforce their Western front. Their biggest fear was the Huns launching a full-scale attack.

To prevent this nightmare scenario from happening, the Allies begin planning their offensive. This one was designed for one big push across the entire front. They would use the tactics they had learned from all the battles they had fought in for the past 4 years. The goal is to hopefully break through the seemingly impregnable Hindenburg line and advance into Belgium. Hopefully, they could overwhelm the Germans before more and more would arrive to prop up their defenses.

The date was set for May 1st. The operation was to be known as 'The Great Western Offensive' for the feeling of decisiveness the Allies thought they had.

In the early hours of the morning of May the 1st 1918, British and French guns began pounding the German positions along the whole line. After a short while, it stopped. Then the whistles blew, signaling the vast huge waves of men to go over the top. Under heavy fire, the British and French reach the first lines of defense. Surprisingly, they encountered very few Germans and must've thought they had scared away the rest.

They were proven wrong, as the Germans launched counterattacks that won them back control of the trenches. This story was the same everywhere else as Allied troops found the Hindenburg line to be a very tough nut to crack. For the next few days, the British, French, and Commonwealth forces suffered heavy casualties as they struggled to make much ground. All the time, they were beaten back by machine guns and artillery fire.

nintchdbpict000001117726.jpg

British troops attacking German positions, May 1918

In some areas of the front, no ground was gained at all, proving the effectiveness of the Hindenburg line.

The only place the British managed to succeed was in the area of Lille, where the defenses weren't as strong as other places. But despite that, the offensive was eventually called off on May 10.

Throughout the whole offensive, the Allies suffered more than 800,000 casualties while the Germans suffered far less than their enemies. The whole offensive had become a waste of resources. The failure of this increased tensions with the British and French ranks which were once again punished harshly.

The Great Western Offensive

A second Nivelle Disaster with Double numbers of victims !
what i wonder is that Entente run again into the Hindenburg line after French and British were massacring there during May 1917.
But i guess that this 1918 offensive was a brain child of Prime Minister David Lloyd George and Clemenceau, forced on Marshal Haig.

For the French Army this will be turning point
During the Nivelle Disaster the french army start a mutiny against this absurd killing.
after this "Mead Grinder" they will open rebel against there Generals and Government.

To understand this madness
WARNING: Those Videos contains some material are unsuitable for children under 14 years of age.

The French Side of offensive
The German Side of offensive

To understand this madness
WARNING: Those Videos contains some material are unsuitable for children under 14 years of age.

The French Side of offensive
The German Side of offensive

The only things that are missing is the French shouting "Banzai!" and waving the French tricolor while charging.

So how much is the british pm and french president willing to sacrifice at this point.

French government might be willingful continue fight but not sure how long Brits are willingful to continue. Government has much of pressure get this war to end and them have soon another problem in Ireland.

The only things that are missing is the French shouting "Banzai!" and waving the French tricolor while charging.
They not scream "banzai"
The poor bastards try to survive the Carnage.
Singing this song while to drown one's sorrow in cheap wine
Le Chanson de Craonne (french Soldier protest song)
Scene from French Movie „A Very Long Engagement“ 2004

Except for unlucky who pict randomly to executed to bring there Regiment to obedience after may 1917
From Stanley Kubrick „Path of Glory“ 1957

War is Hell for common people, while politician responsible for war, talk of Glorious Battle...

Joritz quick question how much more losses has the entente taken compared to OTL and how many did the central powers take?
I think that is the end for the French after the italians they will be next with undermanned trenches do we get to see german soldiers in Paris for a second time in 50 Years?

Were Canada and Newfoundland & Labrador part of British Empire in 1918 ?
i used the Color Code of Empire since Dominion and Commonwealth came after WW1
They were part of the Empire, yes. But a separate Dominion until 1934 (when they reverted to colony status until Confederation in 1949). And the people most definitely considered themselves separate.

Joritz quick question how much more losses has the entente taken compared to OTL and how many did the central powers take?
Well I don't have the exact numbers so let's estimate:
From 1914 to early 1918, the same OTL numbers of dead and wounded. With the 'Great Western Offensive', add 800k casualties to that number. For German casualties the same OTL figures from 1914 to early 1918 but I don't really know much are dead and wounded.

it's quite difficult to find the exact numbers
Most documents were destroyed during WW2 during Blitz and Berlin Bombing campaign
other issue is that Entente and Central powers "palliated" the numbers in there news

From 1914 to early 1918, the same OTL numbers of dead and wounded. With the 'Great Western Offensive', add 800k casualties to that number. For German casualties the same OTL figures from 1914 to early 1918 but I don't really know much are dead and wounded.
So the entente in the west lost close to million more while germans didn't in the east it was also worse rumania, serbia, greece and now italy will at more dead so the exchange is close to 2 to 1 in central powers favor even with the Ottoman and Austro Hungary Armys beeing mostly dead weight?
Here are some numbers:
Entente 4,833,404 that includes the US,
Central powers 3,208,785
The Numbers are direct from the wikipedia page only Kia and Mia. ad another million ittl to entente and call it a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.