The Fuhrer & the Tramp

Book_cover_of_The_Führer_and_the_Tramp.jpg

The year is 1939, and Charlie Chaplin is mistaken for a Jew while attending the Berlin premiere of the Leni Riefenstahl film Olympia. While attempting to flee the Nazi police, Chaplin disrupts the screening and embarrasses Adolf Hitler.

See: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Fuhrer-and-the-Tramp/Sean-McArdle/9781954412064

After returning to Hollywood, Chaplin is encouraged to complete his political satire comedy-drama film, The Great Dictator, by Franklin Delano Roosevelt Jr.. Roosevelt assigns two of his Undercover agents, Errol Flynn and Hedy Lamarr to help Chaplin finish his movie, and to help protect him from Nazi saboteurs.

In order to hide from the saboteurs, Chaplin, Lamarr and Flynn sail to London on Flynn's yacht, the Zaca. Upon reaching their destination, they begin shooting at Pinewood Studios, aided by Alfred Hitchcock. The filming is interrupted by the Bombing of London, and the kidnapping of Charlie's brother, Sydney Chaplin.

The trio plan to rescue Sydney from Hitler's secret base, and employ the covert British team, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. The team consists of Ian Fleming, Christopher Lee, Josephine Baker and Jon Pertwee. After rescuing Sydney, and uncovering Hitler's plans for the Holocaust, the group escape via a blimp captained by Hitchcock.

The book ends with a prelude showing all of the major characters attending the premiere of The Great Dictator.

mspence

Banned
Chaplin said that if he'd know the true extent of what Hitler was doing, he would have made a much different and more serious film.

That plot summary is downright ridiculous and the most seductive high concept nonsense I can recall reading for quite some while - they had my interest at 'Hedy Lamarr', but they really hooked me with 'Dracula & Doctor Who (III) team up to fight Nazis, with help from James Bond's dad'.

That plot summary is downright ridiculous and the most seductive high concept nonsense I can recall reading for quite some while - they had my interest at 'Hedy Lamarr', but they really hooked me with 'Dracula & Doctor Who (III) team up to fight Nazis, with help from James Bond's dad'.
I actually read it, and that scene is as bizarre and awesome as it sounds!! And with Josephine Baker, they are dubbed the "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare"....