The Fourth Lectern - A 2010 Election TL

It would be interesting to see an informal arrangement develop between the Tories and UKIP wherein the two parties each promise not to campaign heavily in seats held by the other. Nonetheless, even if such a deal was plausible, that strategy could backfire.

AndyC

Donor
Great finish. I love the line on which it finishes. And I'm surprised at how close I ended up being. Can I get half a coke as a runners up?:D

And I look forward to anything else you come up with next.

Oh, all right - I'll push the boat out. No ice or lemon, though ... :)

Congratulations from me as well - an excellent read and a nice finish leaving later instalments with plenty to offer.

The Conservatives post-election will be interesting as will the Orange Bookers having to support Brown.

Hope you were able to catch the end of FWoAD (as it is now known). I'm going to put it in the finished TL section of the forum when I get the chance and you should do the same with this as it fully deserves a place.

Thanks, stodge. Yep - I thoroughly enjoyed FWoAD and am reading FWoAV equally avidly.

Basileus Giorgios - thanks for your election map as well.

Meadow, FletcherofSaltoun - thanks again.

AndyC

Donor
Liked the ending.
Have you been reading a certain book by Larry Nicen & Jerry Pournelle? ;)

Possibly - back in University I went through most of their stuff (Footfall, Mote in God's Eye, Lucifer's Hammer, Dream Park ... there was one about an arcology but I can't remember the name), but that was nearly twenty years ago now. (Aaargh!)

Is that where the horse can learn to talk story comes from, then? I've known it for a long time and could never remember where I first heard or read it. I rather assumed it must have been an old aphorism.

Possibly - back in University I went through most of their stuff (Footfall, Mote in God's Eye, Lucifer's Hammer, Dream Park ... there was one about an arcology but I can't remember the name), but that was nearly twenty years ago now. (Aaargh!)

Is that where the horse can learn to talk story comes from, then? I've known it for a long time and could never remember where I first heard or read it. I rather assumed it must have been an old aphorism.

End of Mote in God's Eye, I believe.

I know that was one of the Nasreddin stories - except that the period was 40 years: in 40 years, as Nasreddin apparently said, "at least one would die: either me, the shah, or the donkey!"
(It also didn't have that "maybe it will learn" part; it seems the horse version is a later but still old variation. BTW, the horse version is apparently also attributed to Nasreddin, but I had only heard about the donkey one.)

Thande

Donor
Of course, there is now a problem with this otherwise fine TL: all the quotes from the book by Andy Coulson. Maybe he wrote it while in prison? ;)

AndyC

Donor
Of course, there is now a problem with this otherwise fine TL: all the quotes from the book by Andy Coulson. Maybe he wrote it while in prison? ;)

Indeed - I consider it extremely thoughtless of him!
Maybe I could have a slightly earlier PoD where no hacking occurred?

Nah - thinking about it, the idea of an honest and upright tabloid newspaper editor was always going to be ASB ...

Any planned sequel?

I suggest "Can a horse learn how to sing?" :p

I'll definitely return to it later in the summer, but am having a fairly hectic time in Real Life at the moment :)

A sequel would be brilliant. I'd especially love to see the Welsh elections and the inevitable labour wipe out in a couple years. I mean what party can expect to get that tiny of a vote and expect to save many seats?

Glen

I am moving these threads back as I decided that under current description they do not necessarily fall into Future History, but more importantly the difference between Future History being private and After 1900 being public means that I am depriving public readership of these which was probably the intent of the authors to begin with.

10 Downing Street. The Study.

“Right, if he won’t have Leader of the House, we don’t have to move Harriet. We can slot Yvette into BIS and move Liam to Education. Has Ed said who he’d prefer as Chief Secretary?” Gordon Brown was looking more relaxed than he had been for months.

“Should we throw a bone to the left of the Party?”, asked Ed Milliband. “Maybe we could tempt Cruddas in out of the cold”

“I doubt it, but it’s worth a try, I guess. Give him a call and see if he’d like Work & Pensions”, suggested Brown.

Milliband paused. “Gordon …” he said.

Brown looked up from the A3 sheet of paper on the desk that he was busily marking with his black felt marker. “Yes, Ed?”

“What’s the long-term plan?”, asked Milliband.

Brown grimaced. “Have you ever heard the phrase ‘Events, dear boy?’ It might have been a Tory toff who said it, but he was spot on. We keep running until we can’t run any further. Then we walk until we can’t walk any further. Then we crawl until we can’t crawl any further. I’m not stupid, Ed – I know that it’s going to come to a battle between Ed and David for the Party, but with any luck, we can run, walk or crawl until whichever it is has a decent shot at the next election”

“Can we do it? Seriously, I mean. Can we get through and get enough popularity back?”, asked Milliband, unconvinced.

Wait, did Gordon just say to Ed directly that its going to come down to a battle between "Ed and David" instead of "you and David"?