The Forge of Weyland

Just a follow on thought....

If the UK-France-Holland purchased arms from Italy specifically for the Asian theatre (so as not to antagonize the Germans), it could potentially put the nail into any possible Italian shenanigans in the Mediterranean and in this timeline it becomes a win-win for everyone:
1. More weapons for Asian colonies who are currently unprepared for any type of Japanese incursions
2. Fewer weapons for Italy to use for any imperial adventures that would undermine the allied efforts
3. Economic support and jobs for Italy....and always important gold for their aristocracy

I'll let others smarter than me to pick an exact weapons fit, but on the surface it would seem that their 149mm and 203mm heavy howitzers and 90mm anti-aircraft cannons would be fantastic for reinforcing key strategic positions like Singapore, while their light 75mm mountain howtizers (with matching Italian Trucks), 45mm mortars and Beretta 38 submachine guns (in 9mm) would be ideal for mobile units fighting in areas with poor infrastructure. Add in orders for aircraft, torpedo boats, more trucks, wheat, wine, etc., and it could provide a very meaningful economic boom for the Italian population (and by satisfying them, provide great stability to Mussolini).

Last edited:
FWIW, both Dutch and Belgian immigration to the US, especially later 19th Century was to the isolationist strongholds in the Midwest and Northwest. Not that either group are particularly large voting blocs, but their well-connected presence still may have some impact on US politics.

Don't forget all those Norwegians!!!! Those sturdy farmers who start their day with Powdermilk Biscuits ;-) , I'm sure they'd be contacting their congresspeople about supporting cousin Olaf and his family against those evil Nazis!!

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Molders survives the war, not killed in a crash going back to Udet's funeral. About the last damage Udet did to the Luftwaffe's chances.

Driftless

Donor
Don't forget all those Norwegians!!!! Those sturdy farmers who start their day with Powdermilk Biscuits ;-) , I'm sure they'd be contacting their congresspeople about supporting cousin Olaf and his family against those evil Nazis!!

Good point! That's another bloc of voters in the isolationist turf of the midwest and northwest. Many of them did then and still do keep close ties with their relatives back in Norway too.

On the whole, it seems most likely to me that Dewey is nominated and Roosevelt doesn't run. Who the Democratic nominee is in this case is unclear to me. In any case, certainly the election is going to be different than OTL, because one of the most important issues IOTL is, at a minimum, going to be framed and perceived quite differently ITTL.

That seems reasonable for the Republicans, the Dems OTL were Garner, Tydings, Farley, Hull. All of which are pygmies compared to FDR. The thing at this distance is hard to judge is the reaction to FDR running the unprecedented 3rd term without the Fall of France. Given the 22nd amendment probably pretty hostile without unprecedented cause - war in Europe Good Guys doing fine is not that cause.

If the UK-France-Holland purchased arms from Italy specifically for the Asian theatre (so as not to antagonize the Germans), it could potentially put the nail into any possible Italian shenanigans in the Mediterranean and in this timeline it becomes a win-win for everyone:
I don't think anyone is worried about antagonising Italy. Italian Nationalists are not automatic allies of German Nationalists> international communism. or freedom loving democrats may cleave together for ideological reasons but your autarkic nationalist not quite so much. Realopolitik means there has to be something in it for Italy. Another long war across the Alps is not it.

On the weapons, no point. Unlike WW1 there is no massive shortage of basic kit and the more sophisticated items the Italian need themselves and its not really better than Allied, also you dont have to go back to them for spares.

Ammunition or explosives maybe, workforce visas are available and there is always a need for fieldhands at good rates from a Gold backed currency, with French girls nearby.

As to the SMG 2 weeks into the war - we are probably on the STEN Mk XXIX * by now.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
Well they were independent in the same way as Canada and Australia were and they reclaimed the powers the Crown had after Denmark was occupied so I'd say they may not be de jure independent but they were certainly de facto independent
Canada and Australia were in different de jure positions in 1940! :)
So was Iceland closer to Canada/SA, or Australia/NZ?

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
Doubtful.. imo.. longest ranged shot to hit Sharnhorst, though the roof of turret Bruno, then the big bang..

Well long range drop shot is more likely to go through the weaker turret roofthough

Germans tended to have good damage control