The Forge of Weyland

The British will probably think the Canadians are used to the snow. Forgetting most of them probably come from cities.
At least they will be used to working in the cold
it snows in the cities too.....especially ones on lakes.Buffalo new york is currently buried in snow from lake effect

In fairness, Canada doesn't train its troops in the city. They'll have experience with snow that troops from the UK won't so it's not an absurd assumption, even if it's a silly stereotype (he says from Canada when there's knee-deep snow out the window).

Driftless

Donor
It does, but I suspect the British assume they are all expert in coping with a cold snowy wilderness.
And that everyone uses snowshoes daily... ;) Where I live in Wisconsin, is at nearly the same latitude as Toronto. Former co-workers from Arizona thought we drove snowmobiles the year-round....

In fairness, Canada doesn't train its troops in the city. They'll have experience with snow that troops from the UK won't so it's not an absurd assumption, even if it's a silly stereotype (he says from Canada when there's knee-deep snow out the window).
Not much snow this year.usually it's waist deep.

Driftless

Donor
After the campaign was done, Churchill's own assessment:

The whole of northern Norway was covered with snow to depths which none of our soldiers had ever seen, felt, or imagined. There were neither snow-shoes nor skis - still less skiers. We must do our best. Thus began this ramshackle campaign.

Winston Churchill

Weather in April​

April in Narvik, Norway, is a wintry spring month, with average temperature fluctuating between -2°C (28.4°F) and 0.4°C (32.7°F).

Snowfall​

January through June, September through December are months with snowfall in Narvik, Norway. In Narvik, snow falls for 14 days, with typically accumulated 301mm (11.85") of snow. In Narvik, during the entire year, snow falls for 97.8 days, and aggregates up to 2575mm (101.38") of snow.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Perhaps inspired by recent armoured points of departure from history sonofpegasus has posted an update about defending Malta that raises some interesting ideas about field adaptations. Link to post

I wonder if a spade/shovel attached to the front of universal carriers or APCs might prove useful?