The Forge of Weyland

Vickers being builders of naval gun turrets and AA gun systems will have an institutional knowledge of the then state of the art gun stabilisation systems. So they should have a head start.
Of course they could just ask the AM for access to the Tizard Committee, they would sort it in no time!!!
A naval turret is just a wee bit bigger than a tank turret :p

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
The Americans managed to fit Patton's ego in a M4 and the Brits succeded in squeezing Monty's in a M3 (they had to remove the guns to make some room though)
Hypothetical question: if de Gaulle, Patton, Montgomery & MacArthur all attended an Allied conference, would the combined egos tip the Earth off its axis?

The problem apparently was it only worked properly when set up by an expert. It wasn't suitable for squaddies.
I was under the impression that American gun stabilization was effectively delayed because, in the interests of secrecy (war-winning secret technology and all that), the crews had never been properly trained in their use, resulting in the poor crewman to try to figure out the setup themselves and doing it badly. Once it was figured out 'how to use the stabilization system' should be included in the manual things rapidly improved.
I could be remembering it wrong though.

I love me some plus-sized tank action.
I like 'em big,
I like 'em chunky.
I like 'em loud,
I like 'em rumbly.

I like big tanks and I cannot lie
You other tankers can't deny...

I'll put myself in word jail now.

There were issues with quite a lot of things in WW2 where the people who'd invented them could set them up and have them work, but as soon as they had to be set up by someone else there were all sorts of issues. The Haselmeyr bofors mountings, for example. Its basically tech which works, but isn't ready to be rolled out - a very important part of the development process (usually not seen by people not in the trade) is making kit squaddie-proof. They did get them working right after the war (when they had time to do things properly)

Is that even possible or simply an aspirational ideal? :)
It's usually a work in progress kind of thing. 'And how did you lot break it this time? And why were you using it like that?' is usually the questions asked by the poor bugger that has to come up with a way to soldier proof any kit developed.

Deleted member 94680

The problem apparently was it only worked properly when set up by an expert. It wasn't suitable for squaddies.
Sounds like Industry bullshitting the military to either up the unit cost or expand the through life support contract to me.

Is that even possible or simply an aspirational ideal? :)
Oh, its a real part of the process - I used to do this type of work for a living. It's also a work in progress, especially when applying to squaddies!
For example, a requirement for electronic equipment supplied to the army was that it would work if the case was in a foot of mud and water. Why? because a lot of cases were a convenient height to be stood on to look out of a trench!
The list of 'requirements' was different depending on who was using it. The RN and RAF were a bit more understanding about what you shouldn't do to electronics... the Army, not so much!

Glyndwr01

Banned
First week of recruit training a knob-head decided to fuck about with the fire extinguisher in the room and covered us and our kit in fire foam!

It's usually a work in progress kind of thing. 'And how did you lot break it this time? And why were you using it like that?' is usually the questions asked by the poor bugger that has to come up with a way to soldier proof any kit developed.
Along with "and who the f*** thought this was a good idea!?"

Deleted member 94680

As an ex-engineer I am hurt, hurt that you think this! :D
I can only speak from experience.

It is usually the military’s fault. They let the contracts be written to that effect or accept weapons/mounts/vehicles/etc that ‘require’ Industry “input” in that way.

The amount of military officers that negotiate those types of contracts and go on soon after to work in the civilian sector is purely coincidental, I’m sure.